Menu

If you were Covid positive

BlsdMama

Gastric Symptoms and Severity of Covid illness?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If you were tested positive, did you have gastro symptoms like stomach upset, etc.? Did you feel you were mild, moderate, severe?

• YES, I had gastro symptoms and I was MILD.
    • YES I had gastro symptoms and I was MODERATE
    • YES I had gastro symptoms and I was severe.
    • NO, I had no gastro symptoms and I was MILD
    • NO, I had no gastro symptoms and I was MODERATELY ill.
    • NO I had no gastro symptoms and I had a severe case.

I’m curious. Initially, there were suggestions that patients with gastric symptoms such as diarrhea and stomach upset were MILD. Recently, I saw an article that tied gastric symptoms to a severe bout of Covid. I’m curious what the personal cases stories have been here if anyone cares to share. Feel free to vote for someone else in your household if you’re privy to the details. 

My nephew had it with gastro symptoms and I guess you would say it was a moderate case. Young, strong guy who rode it out at home, but it was a couple of weeks and bad enough to worry that it would get worse. Like an extremely bad case of the flu, where you can do most of the care at home so you do, but also you're keeping a very close eye on them in case it takes a turn. 

I had it in March - was mostly gastro. Loss of appetite, nausea, bad reaction every time I ate anything (I’d flush up and feel terrible). It was miserable (way worse than the flu), but I didn’t need medical care, so I guess I’d consider it mild-moderate? I did develop MCAS because of my bout with Covid and still am dealing with that now, though. Not sure that will ever go away. The symptoms are pretty similar to what I dealt with during my acute phase, actually. No preexisting conditions or risk factors (because everyone always wants to know, heh)

Edited by AnaShoo
  • Sad 5

I got in in March. Lots of gastro symptoms.  Diarrhea, anorexia, I lost 20 pounds in the first month.  I’d still classify it as Mild/Moderate?  I was able to work and parent, I never had low O2 readings.  But it’s nine months later and I still have symptoms.  Mild as long-haul symptoms go, but still. 

• Sad 7

9 hours ago, AnaShoo said:

I had it in March - was mostly gastro. Loss of appetite, nausea, bad reaction every time I ate anything (I’d flush up and feel terrible). It was miserable (way worse than the flu), but I didn’t need medical care, so I guess I’d consider it mild-moderate? I did develop MCAS because of my bout with Covid and still am dealing with that now, though. Not sure that will ever go away. The symptoms are pretty similar to what I dealt with during my acute phase, actually. No preexisting conditions or risk factors (because everyone always wants to know, heh)

Oh, I’m sorry about the MCAS souvenir. Is that a common occurrence after Covid?  I wonder what that means for those of us with MCAS already?  Aack.  

(As an aside, how are they treating yours? I was new to MCAS just before Covid, and haven’t been in to the doc to discuss much since.)

12 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I got in in March. Lots of gastro symptoms.  Diarrhea, anorexia, I lost 20 pounds in the first month.  I’d still classify it as Mild/Moderate?  I was able to work and parent, I never had low O2 readings.  But it’s nine months later and I still have symptoms.  Mild as long-haul symptoms go, but still. 

I think that's the problem with classifying covid - we default to looking at the immediate and short term, but how do you factor in the common longer-term symptoms and affects? Is your case better or worse or just completely different from an illness that is more severe at the time, but over and one in four weeks?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I think that's the problem with classifying covid - we default to looking at the immediate and short term, but how do you factor in the common longer-term symptoms and affects? Is your case better or worse or just completely different from an illness that is more severe at the time, but over and one in four weeks?

Long COVID is better than Dead COVID. After that it just gets really complicated...  I’m really okay with my current symptoms.  I could live like this indefinitely.  I’m worried about things getting worse, even though all signs seems to indicate gradual improvement.  The uncertainty sucks, but I try to remember we are *all* dealing with uncertainty right now.  It’s hard. 

• Like 2