Menu

Should I buy AAR4 or $140 in books?

Pintosrock

Dd6.5 will finish AAR3 around the end of the month and has found it tremendously easy (but fun!) I was debating the merits of getting the next level versus just spending that amount on books. Yesterday, I was leaning towards getting AAR4 and finishing off phonics.

But then, the library closed today. COVID cases are seriously bad here. Given that she's inhaling early chapter books at a rate of one book every 2-3 days, I'm leaning towards buying books. Except, these are not great, beloved books that I feel we need to own. But I don't want her to run out of books! 

At the beginning of the year, I gave her the assessment and she placed solidly in level 3. But it appears that she does so much outside reading that by the time we get to something in AAR that she didn't know in August, she has figured it out! If that continues, maybe we don't need AAR4? Have others skipped the final level if the kid's reading has taken off? 

What to do....

Buy the books.

If you think she could use more instruction, you can do Spalding with her for less than $50 (a copy of the manual--Writing Road to Reading--and a set of phonogram cards), and it will also teach spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing.