Menu

No shampoo

omishev

My hair is fairly thick, a bit wavy and very poofy the first day I wash it. It always looks amazing when I am sick, shiny and perfectly voluminous. WHY?? Because I don't workout and thus don't wash it. The rest of the time it is like every hair is doing its own thing. I workout every day and sweat a lot so it should be washed, or at least rinsed, every day. Currently I wash every 2-3 days and just put it up in a messy bun (and not the cute kind). Anyone with similar hair (and sweat issues) try a "no poo" routine?

I had scratchy scalp and very bad flakes until I ditched shampoo about a decade ago. Now my scalp is healthy and my hair has lots of body!

I use only baking soda most of the time (rub it into my scalp and then rinse it out after a good massage). Apple cider vinegar didn't agree with me.

For a while, I used "New Wash," a non-detergent shampoo alternative. It made my hair smell nice and was as nice to my scalp as baking soda. However, it costs $99 a bottle. If money isn't an issue, I'd try New Wash, or at least alternate New Wash and baking soda.

Now, I use shampoo about once a month because, over time, the baking soda builds up and I start getting a grayish tint to my hair. Then my scalp starts itching and my hair loses all body. I might buy a bottle of New Wash to use once a month in the future.

Emily

Your hair sounds a LOT like mine.  And you should see it in our hot, humid summer months!

When I used to work out every day and really sweat a lot, I'd wash it and then dry it with a hair-dryer, upside-down.  Now, even if I sweat, I generally wash it only every 4-5 days.  I find that if I wash my face and the hairline all around it, I don't need to wash my entire head.  Or sometimes I'll quickly wash the front root ends in the sink.  I still shower (every day in the summer, every 2-3 days in the winter), but just don't wash my hair each time.

I have thick, long, curly hair. I use conditioner to wash it. I have shampoo that I use about once every 2-3 weeks. I haven't used shampoo on a regular basis for over a decade. I wash it (using conditioner) about every other day. 

I use leave in conditioner to help moisturize and aleviate frizz. I do not use a blow dryer - probably haven't since the mid 90s.