Menu

Doggy DNA tests--Wisdom Panel, Embark

popmom

If you've done this, do you think it was worth it? Did the results surprise you? Do you think they are accurate? DH wants to do this for at least one of our rescue dogs, so I might get it for him for Christmas. I'll admit I'm super curious, too. 🙂

• Thanks 1

My old neighbors did one for their dog.  He looked like all the leftover parts of multiple dogs and they wanted to know what he was.  Hilariously, it just proved he was a mutt as it came back saying he had multiple percentages of different breeds.  

We have used it with the rescue I work with for difficult to figure out dogs. It really nailed the couple we have used it one including one we were surprised at the breed it came back with.  It was worth it to us for those special dogs.  They usually go on sale around Thanksgiving.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

We used Wisdom Panel for our two dogs a few years ago. Results were interesting and plausible. Several doggy ancestors were breeds I would not have guessed, but I could see traits that made sense of that family tree.

I think another Wisdom Panel is going to be a Christmas present for dd this year, since she has a new dog. I'm debating whether to go for the basic version or the one with extra genetic health information.

• Like 1

I've done Wisdom panel for all three of my dogs. One we were pretty sure was pure border collie - he was found on the street but looked it. Wisdom Panel confirmed it. 

The other dog looked like either a German Shorthair Pointer or a Bluetick Coonhound. He was listed as a coonhound on his papers which I finally got from the first shelter (we were his 7th home). Wisdom panel came back coonhound, bloodhound, and newfoundland! We later met other bloodhound mixes and yup, he looks like them! And although the newfie through us, it does make sense - he's way taller than a bloodhound or coonhound, and he doesn't have the tan markings - turns out the all black coat in a newfie is a dominant trait, so that explains that. 

Third dog was a "goldendoodle mix" according to rescue group. She tested as "sporting breed" which would be the golden retreiever, poodle, WOLF !@!!, husky, and malamute. Seems crazy...except her original owner found me on the internet and yup - daddy was a goldendoodle and mama was a wolf hybrid! She even sent me photos! 

So I think it's pretty accurate, but sometimes you get "sporting" instead of a specific breed I guess. 

• Like 1

We did Embark for our mutt two years ago. We were really tight that Christmas, and my kids said to make it a priority, so that was our family gift for 2018. 

The rescue said she was a beagle/German shorthair pointer. Nope. She's a spotty mostly beagle/boxer which makes a lot more sense. She has the neck and shoulders of a boxer and is bigger than a beagle, but her face and scent hound behavior is very beagle. She's more compliant than most beagles. 

I took the results to our vet, and he said that the science is still developing, but he had the tech scan the results for her record. There was one minor genetic flag that he said he watches in all beagles and beagle mixes anyway. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

@ktgrok Do you (or others) have any thoughts on whether the more expensive Wisdom Panel test ( https://www.wisdompanel.com/en-us/products/wisdom-panel-premium)  has any practical likelihood of being helpful, if one isn't going to breed the dog regardless? Do vets find the information useful, or does it influence care decisions?

In our case, it was helpful. We have several Aussies, and Aussies and other herding breeds are prone to carrying the MDR1 Multidrug Resistance mutation. The mutation causes adverse reactions to many common drugs, like antibiotics and heartworm meds, so it is very important to know if your dog has it. We used Wisdom Panel to test our Aussies and they were all clear, thankfully. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

@ktgrok Do you (or others) have any thoughts on whether the more expensive Wisdom Panel test ( https://www.wisdompanel.com/en-us/products/wisdom-panel-premium)  has any practical likelihood of being helpful, if one isn't going to breed the dog regardless? Do vets find the information useful, or does it influence care decisions?

unless looking for something specific, or a breed with a certain known issue, probably not. 

• Thanks 1