Menu

can I whine for a second?

ktgrok

This is a first world problem I created myself, I get that. But can I still whine just a bit?

I have bad teeth as an adult - basically, once my reflux kicked in. I had ZERO cavities as a kid. None. Great dental visits until after I had my first kid and BAM had 5 cavities at once. Since then it got worse with each kid, and they blame the reflux. Like, the kind where acid comes up into your mouth, makes you aspirate, etc. 

Anyway, I had a root canal done on a tooth a few ..um....years ago....and never got the permanent crown. *ducks*

I HATE dental work - I have a tiny tiny mouth (every dentist ever has commented on it) so my jaw hurts from being open, and then usually hurts for a week afterward, plus the stress/anxiety makes me a basket case after, and to top it off I'm really hard to get numb. Yay redhead genes!

And the last dentist was awful, and messed up not one but two root canals on my family. And said I needed one I didn't (according to the endodontist)

So I wasn't going back. But....I never went anywhere else, either. 

So yeah..I put it off. And now part of my tooth broke off. 

So I have to find a dentist - someone did reccomend one but I need to see if they are in network and DH is on a work call. Then get scheduled, in a holiday week, pay a bunch of money, and be miserable. Oh, and maybe need it pulled. This um...happened before once....and I don't learn it seems...and they had to pull it. ventually got a bridge, which is fine except it wasn't right the first time and messed up my jaw/bite and gave me TMJ so I had to keep going back to adjust it. But telling what is "bad bite" and what is "sore jaw from being open too long" was hard. And now we start that all over!

The ONLY good thing is I've been self conscious about that tooth...so this forces me to act on the one last thing that needs work in my life, I guess. 

• Sad 18

I hope ypu find a good dentist this time!! I hate dental work, too. My dentist said the babies take a lot of our nutrients when we are pregnant so we have to work extra hard to replace them. It shows in our teeth. Post-partem, we don't spend the time we need on our teeth. Combine the two & it can go downhill fast. Definitely one of those spiral downward moments. I empathise!!

• Like 1

I'm sorry.  I hate dental care too.

I'm similar, only my trouble started when I was a kid because of some tetracycline I took frequently as a small child for ear infections.  This was before tubes were common I guess.  Anyway my adult teeth were stained and had crappy enamel.  I had a similar story with a delayed root canal and ended up losing the tooth. Now due to pandemic I'm waiting to get an implant.

• Like 1

(((Hugs))) I’m insanely dental phobic. Like, having 5 kids lose teeth was my least favorite thing about parenting. I would have volunteered to go through colic again. Mouths disturb me as a whole concept, then add all the scary work in there? No.

And I’ve had awful experiences with several dentists. I pretty much figured that must be just the way it is.

Recently, I paid OUT THE WAZOO to have a whole bunch of work done under serious sedation, and I still have some to do for cosmetics. I’m not happy with the financial aspect of it, but this practice has made me feel so much better. They let me communicate via chat and email before I could even work up the guts to talk by phone. Everyone who works there treated me like a perfectly normal human being instead of “Wow, what happened?”  They never tried to talk me into lower levels of pain management or out of even nitrous like the last dentist who did a root canal. (“You really don’t need it,” he said.). And they’ve done a beautiful job.  I did have to drive (for my consultation, and then was driven for the actual work done) a pretty long way.

My wallet hurts so bad. But everything else is so much better.

I found them by googling dentists for people with anxiety. And I only did it because I started to get really concerned about the additional health issues ignoring it might cause.

• Like 5

I feel your pain. I've got terrible teeth: bad teeth genetics from my mom, severe morning sickness, and now grinding and reflux. I go every six months for checkups (despite anxiety about going), brush and floss and rinse and (and and!) still get 1-2 cavities a year. I'm likely needing another root canal because my last filling triggered pulpitis or some crap like that.

It totally sucks. 

5 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I feel your pain. I've got terrible teeth: bad teeth genetics from my mom, severe morning sickness, and now grinding and reflux. I go every six months for checkups (despite anxiety about going), brush and floss and rinse and (and and!) still get 1-2 cavities a year. I'm likely needing another root canal because my last filling triggered pulpitis or some crap like that.

It totally sucks. 

I go for a cleaning every 4 months.  So, every few cleanings I have to pay for it out of pocket. But it’s just the cleaning—I don’t see the dentist each time.  It has helped keep my teeth in better shape. I’ve done this for years. At one point they said, “Your teeth are looking good. You can probably go back to every 6 months cleanings,” and I did, but on that 6 month visit they were like, “Oh, they’ve gotten bad again,” so I’m back to every 4 month cleanings.

• Like 4

Last time I went to the dentist and discovered that they have "no flavor" cleaning paste. This has been a surprisingly huge game changer for me. I used to come home and be queasy for the rest of the day, and I would usually call and cancel my next appointment, putting it off indefinitely. The queasiness was pretty low level, but it really colored my whole dental outlook. After this last cleaning i was amazed at how my whole feeling about cleanings was different. I hadn't realized how much the flavoring was bothering me.

Not nearly in the ballpark of what you are dealing with, though. Sorry about the hassle.

24 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Last time I went to the dentist and discovered that they have "no flavor" cleaning paste. This has been a surprisingly huge game changer for me. I used to come home and be queasy for the rest of the day, and I would usually call and cancel my next appointment, putting it off indefinitely. The queasiness was pretty low level, but it really colored my whole dental outlook. After this last cleaning i was amazed at how my whole feeling about cleanings was different. I hadn't realized how much the flavoring was bothering me.

Not nearly in the ballpark of what you are dealing with, though. Sorry about the hassle.

Why don’t they tell people stuff like this??  

43 minutes ago, Garga said:

I go for a cleaning every 4 months.  So, every few cleanings I have to pay for it out of pocket. But it’s just the cleaning—I don’t see the dentist each time.  It has helped keep my teeth in better shape. I’ve done this for years. At one point they said, “Your teeth are looking good. You can probably go back to every 6 months cleanings,” and I did, but on that 6 month visit they were like, “Oh, they’ve gotten bad again,” so I’m back to every 4 month cleanings.

The thing is, they dont' find any stuff to scrape off really, when they clean them! I brush well, but the enamel gets yucky from the acid reflux I guess?

25 minutes ago, Garga said:

Why don’t they tell people stuff like this??  

I know, right?? I guarantee that it has not been mentioned to me in the last 20 years of reluctant but regularish dental care. I was never so queasy as to identify that as a problem, either.

As a side note, i have also noticed that the years where I went to the dentist but didn't have dental insurance the dentist always recommended an expensive procedure or bite guard (3 different dentists), but when I do have coverage none of that ever gets brought up (4 dentists).

The acid from the reflux is eating away your tooth enamel, i suppose? I remember reading about that being a problem for people with anorexia.

I am terrified of dental work and my GP prescribed Ativan, an anti-anxiety medication that you take shortly before the appointment. It is amazing! One prescription lasts forever given how infrequently I visit the dentist. My GP also told me that dentist visits and flying are the most common reasons she prescribes short-acting anti-anxiety medication. So you aren't alone!

• Like 1

I had a root canal since I was like 10, and I kept refusing to get a crown for it. And it actually lasted a LONG time... but then I went far too long between cleanings (I had a baby and we moved to a different city; things were busy!) and yep, the root canal got infected and had to be pulled. And now I'm halfway through the implant process and am too afraid to schedule the completion of this process, since it's a few visits in a row, and it's SO MUCH TIME indoors. 

So, you have all of my sympathy. Dental stuff SUCKS. 

• Like 1

Is there a Dental School there? If you can get in and have them do the work, it will take much longer, but when you finish it will be perfect or the  Professor will not give the Student a passing grade.  You will save a lot of money.

An alternative, which  we learned some years ago because the DD of next door neighbors is an Orthodontist, is to have an Orthodontist recommend a Dentist for you. They see the work of many dentists.

Many dentists are excellent, many are not, but a lay person is not qualified to evaluate the quality of their work.

Much good luck to you with this!

I hate going to the dentist too.  We've moved a lot, so it's always different, I have a lot of cavities, I grind my teeth, I never floss enough to make them happy, and I have missing enamel along the bottom inside of my teeth because I was bulimic in my teens and twenties and they ALWAYS have to comment and wonder about how it happened.  So I have to explain every time to someone I don't know that I used to throw up all the time and must have worn the enamel away. Or I used to drink tons of Diet Mountain Dew and then they have to lecture me about that, or tell me to use a straw, or to rinse out with water afterwards.  Ugh.  

My two worst experiences? My parents took me to their doctor when I was 17 and he filled three cavities after convincing me I didn't need novacaine.  I was too afraid to argue.  Then more recently the dentist keep injecting novacaine in a different location from where the tooth was that needed filling. So I went completely numb in the back of my jaw, but the tooth was in the front and I felt a LOT.  And they wonder why people hate the dentist?

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

My two worst experiences? My parents took me to their doctor when I was 17 and he filled three cavities after convincing me I didn't need novacaine.  I was too afraid to argue.  Then more recently the dentist keep injecting novacaine in a different location from where the tooth was that needed filling. So I went completely numb in the back of my jaw, but the tooth was in the front and I felt a LOT.  And they wonder why people hate the dentist?

I’m sorry so many of you have had awful experiences. As a dentist, that makes me so sad that your anxiety is not being addressed. 

I just want to clear up this quoted part. When we give an injection for a lower tooth, we almost always have to go towards the back (even for a front tooth). This has to do with how the nerve runs through the jawbone, and we need to anesthetize it before the nerve goes deeper into the bone. So your dentist was not doing something wrong. But I understand that this can be confusing to patients if it is not explained. Thank you for the reminder that I should always explain this before giving the injection. 

I'm really sorry. I have only had fillings done in the past as my most extensive dental work, but I just had a permanent crown put in this week. They said that I could wait and not do it now, but that I would risk having that tooth break. That freaked me out, so I agreed to the crown. The procedure to repair the tooth two weeks ago was not pleasant but not painful (except for the shots at the beginning).

I'm sorry that you had a break and that your teeth are so challenging. I hope you are able to get it fixed quickly by a dentist who is really good.

57 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I’m sorry so many of you have had awful experiences. As a dentist, that makes me so sad that your anxiety is not being addressed. 

I just want to clear up this quoted part. When we give an injection for a lower tooth, we almost always have to go towards the back (even for a front tooth). This has to do with how the nerve runs through the jawbone, and we need to anesthetize it before the nerve goes deeper into the bone. So your dentist was not doing something wrong. But I understand that this can be confusing to patients if it is not explained. Thank you for the reminder that I should always explain this before giving the injection. 

I understand, but at the same time most of the times I have had fillings the dentist would do it in both areas- first the jaw, and then closer.  This one only did the jaw, and then when I said it still hurt she did another one in the jaw, and then when I said it still hurt then she did one closer to the tooth and I no longer felt the pain.  Overall I have had very few problems even having moved and having had multiple dentists.  I regularly have to have my fillings redone because apparently I grind my teeth so much my fillings buckle.  

1 minute ago, SanDiegoMom said:

I understand, but at the same time most of the times I have had fillings the dentist would do it in both areas- first the jaw, and then closer.  This one only did the jaw, and then when I said it still hurt she did another one in the jaw, and then when I said it still hurt then she did one closer to the tooth and I no longer felt the pain.  Overall I have had very few problems even having moved and having had multiple dentists.  I regularly have to have my fillings redone because apparently I grind my teeth so much my fillings buckle.  

Ugh. That stinks. I’ve had the experience where some pts take a really long time to get numb. I had one pt that (with her being agreeable to the idea) came in for her appt, I gave her injection, she waited half an hour while I saw another pt, and came back to her and she was numb. Highly unusual, but it does happen that some people take extra long to get numb. Maybe something for you to discuss with your dentist next time?

12 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Recently, I paid OUT THE WAZOO to have a whole bunch of work done under serious sedation, and I still have some to do for cosmetics. I’m not happy with the financial aspect of it, but this practice has made me feel so much better. 

YES THIS. I have inherited bad teeth, but even before all the problems I could barely stand cleanings.

My dentist specializes in anxious patients. I just had 3.5 to 4 hours of work done earlier this week--including an extraction, root canal, and two crowns--and I was under sedation the whole time. It's glorious. The work is beautiful and my jaw was barely even sore--truth! Yes, it is $$$, but I wouldn't have it done otherwise, so there you go.

The BEST THING I discovered this year is that nitrous oxide does also work for me. I had tried it before, but they didn't give me enough, apparently. So I think I will be able to handle more routine procedures with that from now on. Like, I could feel what they were doing somewhat, but I just didn't care. 🙂 And everything was all floaty and indistinct. It's less expensive than IV sedation. 

Plus everyone is so kind, understanding, and professional at this practice. They tuck me--with two blankets. They ask me constantly how I'm doing. It's wonderful.

Do read reviews. Years ago when I was young and stupid I was put under at another dentist and he did a TON of work I didn't need. Boo. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. Are you already on Rx level Fluoride toothpaste? All of us with gerd in the house have to have it.

2. With re: tiny mouth (also me), ibuprofen beforehand, no prop blocks, and jaw massage during the procedure

3. nitrous is your friend (unless you have mthfr or other methylation issues)

No! I will ask for it - I think I had some way back when because of sensitive teeth, but not since then. 

Sorry, Katie!  I did grow up not taking full responsibility for my teeth. It shows!  I have great dentists and then they retire and we start over.  Anyway, the current dentist we've had for 5-7 years now.  Our previous dentist retired around early  70's I guess and that was maybe 7 years ago  or so.  He knew how to work on my teeth.  He'd been practicing at the time when he retired almost 50 years, I believe that's right.  I thought there is no way this current dentist will be as good because no one is as good as "Dr. S".   Well, I was surprised.  I just went in for a filling by our now dentist "Dr. L" and he was superb.  

When DH got a new job and new insurance kicked in this past Aug 1 I thought, "here we go again having to find a new dentist".  Our current dentist is NOT a provider with our dental carrier.  After researching those in network with our carrier and those out I realized it would behoove  us to stay where we are and just pay out of pocket.  I just didn't know how much.  

DH and I agreed.  It was my turn to go in for my  6 month cleaning.  We did pay up  front and still filed to insurance (knowing Dr. L is not in network with our dental carrier).  We were told on Nextdoor that sometimes out of pocket pays generously.  Well, weren't we surprised  and blessed to find out our insurance carrier paid 100% of that cleaning b/c of the great out of network benefits!!!  DH just went in.  Same thing. 

I went in for a filling and dh went in last month for a crown.  DH has more work to do.  Our dental carrier is paying a good part of those even though Dr. L is out of network.  

My dh's  plan must just be a good  one his employer bought!  

Might take some research but yes, get in and take care of yourself!  🙂   

Oh, I'm so sorry!!  For 3-4 years, my dh had HORRIBLE dental problems.  And he's a perfectionist in keeping his teeth clean -- always has been.  So when he gets his yearly cleanings, he's done in about 15 minutes, while mine take at least an hour and I need it at least twice/year.   I think he has just inherited bad teeth...  Actually, I've heard it's often related to your natural saliva content (or something like that).  From now on, he'll only go to a dentist for cleanings and regular check-ups, but will see an endodontist for everything else.  (He always ended up at the endodontist anyway!)   His endodontist felt so sorry for all of his horrible and consistent and expensive dental problems that he began only charging half-price each time and has continued that.

But once he finally got over the last hurdle, things have finally quieted down.  (For over a year now!)  Hopefully yours will quiet down too.

(And unfortunately my dh cannot have nitrous oxide.  It puts him in a bizarre mental state where he becomes suicidal -- complete opposite of my dh's nature.)

Put me among the people who hate dentists.  My teeth and gums are terrible plus all the fillings from the NZ dental service when I was a kid (they used to leave holes until they were bigger before filling them so we all have molars stuffed full of amalgam).  And our healthcare system only includes dental until 18 so it is horrendously expensive.  People sometimes resort to pulling their own teeth out with pliers.  It makes my teeth ache to think about it.