Menu

The SA COVID strain...

Ausmumof3

so it turns out our lockdown was based on the fact that someone claimed to have contracted it after buying a pizza from a pizza shop.  They apparently lied and had been working shifts at the pizza shop over a period of time.  The health minister was worried because the initial transmission appeared to have occurred on else than 24 hours from buying a take away pizza.  Actually it was a case of close contact over a period of time and probably infectious for a longer time.

As of today restrictions on exercise outside the home are lifted and we will be going back to much lighter restrictions on Monday.  They do still now have to trace back further for all the contacts of the pizza shop worker, but are no longer so concerned about a more transmissible version of the virus.  

there is currently no penalty for providing false information under the emergency services act but this is being reviewed.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

We did have three active cases and they have another 44 suspected cases though all now in quarantine.  So I wouldn’t say we’re out of the woods yet.  Knowing however that the virus is not transmitting in less than 24 hours from a take away pizza shop is definitely a relief.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

so it turns out our lockdown was based on the fact that someone claimed to have contracted it after buying a pizza from a pizza shop.  They apparently lied and had been working shifts at the pizza shop over a period of time.  The health minister was worried because the initial transmission appeared to have occurred on else than 24 hours from buying a take away pizza.  Actually it was a case of close contact over a period of time and probably infectious for a longer time.

As of today restrictions on exercise outside the home are lifted and we will be going back to much lighter restrictions on Monday.  They do still now have to trace back further for all the contacts of the pizza shop worker, but are no longer so concerned about a more transmissible version of the virus.  

there is currently no penalty for providing false information under the emergency services act but this is being reviewed.

OK, I was JUST looking up this stuff, so I am very relieved to hear this. It sounded like there was going to need to be a LOT of quarantining, so I'm glad it's not as bad!! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have to admit I’m slightly concerned at the way this press conference ran.  Obviously the person should never have lied but the conference was heavy on blame toward the person.  Hopefully no one figures out who they are because I’m a bit worried about vigilanteism 

Yes, this is so important.

We had a case in the spring where a Canadian doctor traveled out of province briefly for a family emergency, and was subsequently blamed for a Covid outbreak.  It was shamefully handled - the premier of the province publicly blamed and berated the MD.  MD's test results were leaked to social media (doctors are entitled to patient confidentiality when they are the patient, just like everyone else, and in this case it was clearly breached). This poor doc was just lambasted, received hate-mail and threats,  and suffered tremendously.  He was pretty much run out of town.  There was also a racism element at play (Black immigrant MD in a very white small-town  community).  The whole thing was appalling and quite frankly, dangerous.  It turns out that he probably wasn't the source of the outbreak after all.  He works in a border town, where a very significant proportion of the hospital staff commute across the river from out of province everyday, from a province with high numbers (the media were very quiet about that point when the story was breaking.) 

Edited by wathe
  • Sad 6

39 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Why would they lie about how they got it? Unless they were trying to hide a side job from someone?

People lie to public health all the time.  Shame, personal gain, fear of getting caught doing something they shouldn't have been, distrust of government, fear of public exposure....the list of reasons is endless.

(ETA contact tracers for STD's deal with lie after lie after lie......)

ETAagain,  other examples in the emerg (I have personal experience with all of these),  patients lie about animal bite injuries, because they don't want their buddy's dog to "get reported", they lie about where injuries happened, because they don't want their workplace to "get reported", they lie about their child's mechanism of injury because they don't want to "get reported".  There is a lot of fear of public health agencies in general (including CAS and worker's comp in that, broadly).

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kand said:

I don’t want to see any vigilantism either, but this does seem like a particularly egregious lie with far reaching consequences. I don’t know what should be done in such circumstances, but it does not seem that it should be consequence free to the person who lied.

The level of police investigation going on makes me suspect there was something else going on that led to the lie.  I mean the infected coworker and the business owner had to have known they were working there and didn’t say anything.  I guess we’ll know in time.

3 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Why would they lie about how they got it? Unless they were trying to hide a side job from someone?

Either they were working for cash not paying tax or were on a visa with restricted work hours or something.  Or possibly the pizza shop had some kind of illegal side business or something although I’m not sure why the employee would lie about it so most likely one of the first two.

2 hours ago, wathe said:

We had a case in the spring where a Canadian doctor traveled out of province briefly for a family emergency, and was subsequently blamed for a Covid outbreak.  It was shamefully handled - the premier of the province publicly blamed and berated the MD.  MD's test results were leaked to social media (doctors are entitled to patient confidentiality when they are the patient, just like everyone else, and in this case it was clearly breached). This poor doc was just lambasted, received hate-mail and threats,  and suffered tremendously.  He was pretty much run out of town.  There was also a racism element at play (Black immigrant MD in a very white small-town  community).  The whole thing was appalling and quite frankly, dangerous.  It turns out that he probably wasn't the source of the outbreak after all.  He works in a border town, where a very significant proportion of the hospital staff commute across the river from out of province everyday, from a province with high numbers (the media were very quiet about that point when the story was breaking.) 

There’s been police cars protecting the pizza shop since the press conference.  

42 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Either they were working for cash not paying tax or were on a visa with restricted work hours or something.  Or possibly the pizza shop had some kind of illegal side business or something although I’m not sure why the employee would lie about it so most likely one of the first two.

That makes sense as a possibility.

9 hours ago, wathe said:

I remember that. I hadn't heard the rest of the story. That is just horrible!