Menu

Taking Baked Goods to Neighbors This Year?

easypeasy

First, I'll say that we've known all our neighbors for 20+ years. They all have always welcome baked goods - no allergy/health issues to worry about. 

With that said, we've skipped the past couple of years because we've been too busy to bake anything

I feel like this year certainly screams for handmade and hand-delivered cupcakes, pies, and muffins!

Butttt - Covid. ☹️ Should I poll the neighbors to see if they'd want baskets this year? Or deliver them and they can do what they will with them?

am perplexed 🤔

I'm in a similar boat. We make chocolate covered pretzels and hot chocolate mix for gifts each year. I had just finished purchasing everything I needed to give gift to the school staff I'm working with when it occurred to me it might not be appreciated.

My neighbor and I have continued to exchange cookies and other baked goods. There are lots of people locally who have started cooking out of their homes and sell the food on FB, seeming successfully. So it's entirely possible your neighbors would enjoy your goodies.

I go back and forth, but what I think I've decided to do instead is give small amounts on a gift card to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks in a card and offer the food/drink mix in addition if they want it.

Edited by wilrunner
  • Thanks 1

I’d choose things that can be reheated, like muffins or even pies, rather than homemade candy or cupcakes. We’re being very cautious, but I would still eat something homemade from a friend or neighbor after warming it up for a bit. I don’t really see it as any different than getting take out from a restaurant. I’m actually planning to make pumpkin bread for a few neighbors this weekend because it can either be toasted or microwaved before eating.

• Thanks 1

People in our area regularly do take out from restaurants now. I think that it’s less likely someone will pick up Covid from a home kitchen than from a restaurant kitchen. For that reason, I expect home made goods will be welcome around here. Of course, I could be wrong...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input! Seems everyone is all over the place as much as I am! lol

In our neighborhood, it's a sort of tradition. The ppl across the street make the most beautiful fruitcakes (that I then regift to my dad, because fruitcake is gross, but he loves it), next door makes some applesauce pumpkin spice bread that is amazing, down the street makes peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and next door to her makes mint chocolate....

We all usually eat the stuff because we talk about it lol. (I've also been in all of their kitchens at some point and feel reasonably secure about that decision... lol)

But we haven't talked much this year because of Covid. 😕 Most of them are older folk. Across the street died and his mother (who lived with him) moved in with her daughter so the house is empty. Another down the street passed away during Covid after a long illness. 😕 We've just missed out on so many connections I really want to play our part with our little neighborly tradition - but don't want them to think I'm trying to bring the plague to the front door either!

Think I'll make some phone calls and plan accordingly to the wishes of each neighbor. 

7 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

We would be thrilled here! 🙂 Honestly, I don't know anyone who is super worried about food in my circles anymore.

Same.  One of friends posted this exact question on FB and another friend, an ER nurse, commented that they’ve eaten oodles of homemade food that was donated and no one got sick.  I hadn’t considered that but I know the hospital staff has been inundated with homemade food which they’ve gleefully eaten.

I’d eat it.  The risk of transmission that way seems negligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they are things they can reheat without drying out, maybe. 

Otherwise, no, I would not do it. Not worth the risk. Plus, good chance people will throw it away and then feel guilty. 

If you brought them to me I would feel very torn, and my kids would want to eat them but then I probably wouldn't let them, and ugh. 

Can you give some of those brownie in a jar type gifts, where it is all assembled and they mix and bake themselves?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TechWife said:

People in our area regularly do take out from restaurants now. I think that it’s less likely someone will pick up Covid from a home kitchen than from a restaurant kitchen. For that reason, I expect home made goods will be welcome around here. Of course, I could be wrong...

Restaurant workers are supposed to be masked and gloved. I wouldn't expect a home cook to have that same level of caution. Breathing/explelling virus on to a muffin as you put it in the basket (once cool) and then somone else consuming would worry me. I realize I'm one of a very few who feel that way, but we really don't know if it can spread that way - and we have some evidence it can spread via ingestion particularly if there is lower stomach acid as is common in older adults and the elderly. 

I'm not saying it is super careless, but I'd think maybe this year some nice homemade bathsalts or maybe soup that can be reheated would be safer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Restaurant workers are supposed to be masked and gloved. I wouldn't expect a home cook to have that same level of caution. Breathing/explelling virus on to a muffin as you put it in the basket (once cool) and then somone else consuming would worry me. I realize I'm one of a very few who feel that way, but we really don't know if it can spread that way - and we have some evidence it can spread via ingestion particularly if there is lower stomach acid as is common in older adults and the elderly. 

I'm not saying it is super careless, but I'd think maybe this year some nice homemade bathsalts or maybe soup that can be reheated would be safer. 

How would you feel if your neighbor did wear gloves and a mask while making things? I would be willing to do that and tell them I did. 

I didn't know that about the stomach acid. I am on an acid reducer because my reflux got worse over the last couple of months. 

They would not be conusmed here.  We don’t do take out anymore either since March.  Still wipe down our groceries too 😁.  I would actually feel safer getting take out than getting homemade treats from neighbors because restaurant employees should be wearing masks, etc. while cooking.  I know I wash my hands all the time while baking/cooking for other people.  Not confident that other people do the same. I would politely accept and toss in the trash.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Thanks 1

I would welcome them.  I am not worried about transmission like that.   A porch drop off or drop off with a mask would be nice.

Are there any known cases of transmission via food?   Everything I have been hearing is airborne respiratory droplets from closer contact.....like social gatherings with no masks, etc 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I would welcome them.  I am not worried about transmission like that.   A porch drop off or drop off with a mask would be nice.

Are there any known cases of transmission via food?   Everything I have been hearing is airborne respiratory droplets from closer contact.....like social gatherings with no masks, etc 

I just read an article last week that said, no, there haven't been any known transmissions via food. The restaurant exposures have all been person-to-person, not through the food. Takeout has been fine. 

• Like 1

I just want to add that I would be super careful with the things I prepared.  After seeing what people are doing during this pandemic, my problem is trusting the people giving me the stuff.  To be honest, I don't trust anyone really to keep my family safe anymore so I do what I need to do.  I think it is a lovely idea though and so many want some normalcy.  My dad is 85 and lives in an independent living apartment building.  I'm praying no one brings him treats because he will eat them down in a minute.  And...these old people (and young people too) in his building -- many don't wear masks 😞.  I am making him yummy stuff each month to try and keep him happy -- LOL.

• Like 2

I've picked up from a few of those restaurants. In theory they are wearing masks & gloves. Consistency and proper donning of them is questionable - lots of exposed noses, masks pulled down entirely. Those are the places I haven't gone back to. Food service kitchens are usually close quarters, too.  Based on my experience, I don't know that restaurant prep is significantly safer. You have all given me something to think about, though.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had the thought that it's a good year for us to remember those who don't get out or don't get company especially, so they know they're not forgotten. To brighten their day and in turn, ours.   I vote yes on giving goodies.

5 hours ago, mom31257 said:

How would you feel if your neighbor did wear gloves and a mask while making things? I would be willing to do that and tell them I did. 

I didn't know that about the stomach acid. I am on an acid reducer because my reflux got worse over the last couple of months. 

Well, for the most part we are not eating take out, either, lol. Or at least not things I can't reheat -  I did get take out chicken livers to try to boost my iron. I tried making them myself but ugh - did you know they tend to EXPLODE while cooking????? So those will be take out still, but will reheat. We've had drinks that are cold a very few times, only from one place that is good with masking. 

and yes, early on I found some studies showing the ph it can survive at, and that is has been found to colonize in the stomach. 

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

No known cases, but no one is actually LOOKING for cases either. You can't find what you don't look for. Community spread is so every where right now I don't think most people in the US can trace where they got it anyway. And the places that eradicated it, or nearly so, so that you can tell..I think they didn' thave take out during their shut down.