Menu

Saxon or TT Geometry?

My son has started Jacob's Geometry this year and it is just not clicking at all with him.  We did TT Algebra last year and he did quite well, but, did not enjoy using the computer for math, so, that is why I went with Jacob's.  We've done many years of Saxon, so, I was thinking of trying that.  I happen to have both Saxon and TT Geometry already as I have other children as well.

Would love to hear what people have to say about either of these, as well as the additional CDs that can be purchased.

Many thanks!

I have used TT for geometry for all of my kids and it has worked well for them.  My oldest two did the CD version, but my youngest is doing the online version this year.  None of them minded doing math on the computer, and in fact youngest prefers doing it on the computer.

I think in your situation would ask your son what he prefers.

• Like 2

I vote ‘Neither’, but YMMV.

We used the approach touted by Art Reed, whose videos we stumbled upon that helped the math lovers AND the math haters in this house excel at math in high school....using Saxon.

If you are interested, here is Art Reed’s explanation about how to use Saxon in high school (skipping their new and superfluous geometry text).  Also, a link to his new site, which is separate for some reason.  (I do not think there is anything wrong with TT, though.  Just going by your desire to avoid online math/possibly use Saxon)

https://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/review-credit.php

https://teachingsaxon.com/about/

Thank you all so much!  Familia, I was tossing around the idea of just going directly to Saxon Alg II as I have that too!  We've struggled with math with my oldest as he was not a math person and had some other issues as well.  This son is a math person and I want to try what's best for him.  Can you tell me how you sequenced the upper level math years please?  Many thanks 😄 

Edited by *AM*
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Familia said:

I vote ‘Neither’, but YMMV.

We used the approach touted by Art Reed, whose videos we stumbled upon that helped the math lovers AND the math haters in this house excel at math in high school....using Saxon.

If you are interested, here is Art Reed’s explanation about how to use Saxon in high school (skipping their new and superfluous geometry text).  Also, a link to his new site, which is separate for some reason.  (I do not think there is anything wrong with TT, though.  Just going by your desire to avoid online math/possibly use Saxon)

https://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/review-credit.php

https://teachingsaxon.com/about/

My older son used the old version of TT Geometry back before it went online.  It was a solid non-honors level program.  The new version is quite different in that they made practically every problem multiple choice.  I've reviewed the new version extensively, and because of the multiple choice thing, I do not recommend it.  I haven't used Saxon text, so I can't comment on that.

I know what you mean about Jacobs.  I will say that the second edition of Jacobs is much more straightforward than the third.  

• Like 3

I tried Saxon, TT and Jacobs before giving up and just buying a workbook from Critical Thinking Company (Understanding Geometry). Three dc used it with enthusiasm and success I never would have thought possible. They aced every Geometry final I gave them (I believe 4 in all?). I know you weren't asking about other programs, OP, but I just have to throw that one out there. Wish I'd found/used it with my first 4 dc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Have you looked at Thinkwell?

ETA- Even if you continue with Saxon, a spin through Thinkwell's Geometry Review might tie together loose ends: https://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/collections/essential-review-courses

We used Thinkwell for Algebra 2 and dd really liked it.  She liked TT for geometry, but liked Thinkwell even better.

You are welcome.  My son loved math, but I really frustrated him in eighth grade by leaving Saxon.  You can read about that here:

As to our sequence, (see below links)...I just did whatever Mr. Reed told me=). You do not need his book, because his newsletters, which go on & on, cover all the content.  It was everything we needed to know, and then some, about how to sequence, the purpose of it, the history of Saxon, how to do a day’s work, when to grade the student’s work vs let them just practice, and so on. 

This should link to his 2018 newsletters.  Let me know if not.  On the linked page, scroll down to read ‘February’, ‘March’, and ‘April’, those are a series of articles that cover sequence:

https://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/newsletterpage-2018.php#0518

Then, be sure to read ‘October’ of 2018, as well.  It will describe how to grade/not grade the work.  When I stopped grading homework and moved to only grading tests, both of us began to take the tests more seriously.  It stopped me from forgetting to give them on a schedule, DS really took them seriously, and our daily work got easier.  

Remember, his DVD’s/streaming products are on that other site, linked in my last post.  Not sure why he changed & this old site doesn’t reference it.  The streaming sure would be nice - wish we had that technology then!

Best wishes!

• Like 1