Menu

Random question - tissues?

hippiemamato3

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

🙂

so funny

no different than washing the face washers of the whole family, or the underpants, or the wet socks. I just chuck it all into the washing machine and it comes out clean

10 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Question for cloth handkerchief people: So, are the used handkerchiefs barely used in your family? I like the idea of further cutting down on our paper use, but I don't like the mental image of laundering for my snotty (literally) family.

I don't know how many boxes of tissues we use a year. We buy the six-box packs several times a year.

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

🙂

so funny

no different than washing the face washers of the whole family, or the underpants, or the wet socks. I just chuck it all into the washing machine and it comes out clean

At home, they go in the rag bin after one blow.  When out, they tend to get re-used a little more.   But each one isn't very big - it would take a lot of handkerchiefs to make up a load of laundry.  I do hankies, kitchen towels/rags and towels in the same load, 1-2 load a week.  Wash in hot water.  They come out clean.  No folding - just dump in the clean hanky drawers (one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom at the other end of the house).

ETA - no idea how Melissa got quoted twice!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wathe said:

At home, they go in the rag bin after one blow.  When out, they tend to get re-used a little more.   But each one isn't very big - it would take a lot of handkerchiefs to make up a load of laundry.  I do hankies, kitchen towels/rags and towels in the same load, 1-2 load a week.  Wash in hot water.  They come out clean.  No folding - just dump in the clean hanky drawers (one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom at the other end of the house).

ETA - no idea how Melissa got quoted twice!

I just chuck them in with the regular wash. I do one load of colours every day and one load of lights every second day. Hankies go onto either load. Everything is line dried outside.never had any problems

• Like 3

Yeah, we normally just use TP.

Usually nobody needs tissues much other than when they are sick with sinus junk, and that is not very often around here.

The exception is me - my nose tends to run a little bit with minor irritations such as changes in temperature.  I keep a roll of TP by my work station and a few folded-up lengths of TP in all my pockets.  😛  Normally I will use 1 square and then set it aside to re-use unless it's slimy.  (Probably TMI, LOL.)  One square gets re-used until it starts shredding.  Then on to the next square.

We've each carried a flannel handkerchief in our pocket every day for about 10 years now. Tissues are available for company or if someone is sick and winds up blowing through his/her whole stash. I think earlier this year we finished a multipack I'd bought 8 or 9 years ago when we belonged to a wholesale store.

Thank you to everyone who answered my hankie-washing question! 😄 Your answers make so much sense! I wash cloth napkins and even used cloth diapers when my kids were babies, so I should have a high yuck tolerance. I've just never known anyone who used/washed handkerchiefs for the whole family, so it's a bit foreign to me. I rather like the idea mentioned of throwing them in a pillow case and then throwing the entire pillowcase in the laundry.

• Like 1

We used to go through about one box a week, more when a cold was going through the house.   Then I discovered that milk consumption can contribute to mucus production, and once I ditched dairy milk, the constant need for tissues pretty much stopped.  Now it takes us a few months to go through a box of tissues!  Drastic difference.  

DS prefers TP over tissues and keeps a roll next to his bed.   I buy the super soft name brand tissues, but no lotion thankyouverymuch. 🙂

1 hour ago, Lady Marmalade said:

We used to go through about one box a week, more when a cold was going through the house.   Then I discovered that milk consumption can contribute to mucus production, and once I ditched dairy milk, the constant need for tissues pretty much stopped.  Now it takes us a few months to go through a box of tissues!  Drastic difference.  

DS prefers TP over tissues and keeps a roll next to his bed.   I buy the super soft name brand tissues, but no lotion thankyouverymuch. 🙂

We are no-dairy here too. Also, no lotion tissues. They are awful!