Menu

How easy/cheap IS Covid Testing where you are?

easypeasy

DS needed a Covid test in another state (long story) and it was $150. We were told that we could send that to our insurance company if we wanted to attempt to be reimbursed for it.

A couple of months ago, he had to get another test in another state and it was $200, no insurance accepted. His friends in that state were finding it SO impossible to find/schedule any tests that they contacted a family friend who did the tests for them and sent them through to the lab his practice is connected with. They were unable to schedule any tests elsewhere else after spending hours on the phone.

DD2 is in another state for college and has had several Covid tests done on campus for free. She just walks in and gets the test done! Results within 24-48 hours.

Locally, there are drive-up testing sites every weekend and scheduled-appointment sites all throughout the week. The tests are free (these are PCS lab tests too!). Oh, and the results are coming back usually within 12 hours (some much less than that).

And yet, DH has talked to THREE people (in our area) within the past week saying they can't find anywhere locally to get a test, how impossible it is to find a test, etc... and I'm like... đŸ¤” whut? Is it that they don't know where to look? Several mentioned calling their family doctor and not going much beyond that.

All these experiences have occurred in traditionally RED states (I say that because I've heard it's easier to access tests & lower costs in red states vs. blue ones... but I don't know the truth to that since all our experiences have been in red states).

I'm wondering how difficult it is to find testing sites or tests where you are? I'm finding it mind boggling that it's so wildly differently available in different states/cities/towns. We're all in the midst of the same pandemic but our experiences are SO different from one another!

• Like 1

Not very. Easy anyway. I was told when calling around to figure out how to get tested that you have to have a primary care provider refer you for one, even for the drive through places. I didn't want to deal with any of that so just walked into the urgent care place we usually go to if need be, rather than the ER. Nope they wanted a referral. They ended up reluctantly letting me in because I was having concerning symptoms, not just someone who is sick and wondering. 

I tested negative but am pretty darn sure I and those in my home had/have it. No one followed up with me to consider a false negative and make sure I didn't needed retested or whatever. Okay.

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

Somebody asked on another thread here why people aren't people having their children tested as well. I honestly had never ever heard that from any heath experts or other sources before her post. Just never even occurred to me either.

If you have symptoms, there's a walk in centre at a converted activities hall in the town 8 miles from here, where there is a university.  You need to make an appointment on the phone but I drive by often and there are usually a couple of bored security guards outside and no queues.  There's no charge (Scotland).

If you don't have symptoms, the pharmacies charge £120.  My daughter has done it and it was easy to get an appointment; they say results will take 48 hours.

11 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

Not very. Easy anyway. I was told when calling around to figure out how to get tested that you have to have a primary care provider refer you for one, even for the drive through places. I didn't want to deal with any of that so just walked into the urgent care place we usually go to if need be, rather than the ER. Nope they wanted a referral. They ended up reluctantly letting me in because I was having concerning symptoms, not just someone who is sick and wondering. 

I tested negative but am pretty darn sure I and those in my home had/have it. No one followed up with me to consider a false negative and make sure I didn't needed retested or whatever. Okay.

Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

Somebody asked on another thread here why people aren't people having their children tested as well. I honestly had never ever heard that from any heath experts or other sources before her post. Just never even occurred to me either.

Adding we are an overwhelmingly blue state. Our last republican gov. was in the 1920s. 

Edited by IfIOnly

When I needed testing I turned up at the testing centre, was logged in and asked to wait in my car.  10 minutes later I was tested.  It was free but because it was Sunday I didn't get the results until the Tuesday morning rather than within 24 hours.  That was during the lockdown in April.  There have been some stuff ups  in Auckland lately with people not having ready access but it was still free with a results timeframe of mostly within 24 hours and up to 48.  If you want people to test it has to be easy and cheap or free.  They don't usually test without symptoms of another reason though.

Edited by kiwik

We have both gotten hospital-based drive up testing, billed to our insurance plans. Mine was due to symptoms, and needed my pcp to request it. My kid's was part of a pre-procedure screening. They also had one done in the hospital ER on another occasion.

My city also has a free walk-up mobile testing program, which is almost daily, and generally at 2-3 locations on any given day. Today's spots would be a hassle to get to, but tomorrow is fairly close and easy enough to get to. Though honestly the last place I want to hang out is in a line of people waiting for Covid tests. The drive up testing felt less risky, as we only interacted with one masked healthcare worker, not the general public.

eta: I got my results from the hospital 24 hours after testing, but it took 2 days to get the appt. My kid got results faster both times, like maybe 10 hours? 

The city program is apparently getting results back in "up to a couple of days"

Edited by slackermom
eta

the local town 20 minutes from me has a testing 5 days a week. You need to ring up the day before and book.  it is free/ twin one and I were tested there in June - we were negative

at the large town with the hospital 100 km away there is a drive by clinic that you just drive up to 7 days a week. no need to book - Free

in July when a stupid person got tested in Melbourne, bypassed the police checking lockdown zone and came through out local town and was positive. they set up a field testing site and tested half the town over 2 days. it was free . they prioritized on the first day anyone who was a slight contact, then the second day anyone who was a contact of a contact or who wanted to get tested just in case

adding not only is testing free here in Australia, but if you are tested you cannot go to work until you get the results. the results are now less than 24 hour turnaround. but it was taking up to 3 days back in July. People can get an allowance from the government to cover lost wages while waiting for their test results. 
This is to help make it possible for everyone with even the slightest symptom to get tested even if they don't have access to sick pay form their employer. How can you control a pandemic if you don't have the ability for people to get tested 

• Like 3

It’s very easy where I am (at least if you have any symptoms at all)and completely covered by insurance.  My dd made an appt for a drive through at CVS. I took dd to her pediatrician for one once ( same day appt.). Ds is getting a rapid test before he leaves college.  Blue state. 

I got tested a few weeks ago. I made an appointment on a Monday, got tested on Tuesday morning and received results on Friday morning. It was a drive-through facility and I waited about 15 minutes and did a self-test. They took my insurance information, but I didn't need to pay anything and it was advertised as 'free' testing. 

It’s free.  In some locations you need a GP referral some you just turn up.  It has been easy but the last two days has been swamped.  Also if you’re tested and need to quarantine till you get a result and don’t have paid leave you get $300.  Which isn’t much but better than nothing.

Edited by Ausmumof3

There are multiple places in town where one can get tested. One of them is completely free - they didn't even ask for my insurance card when I went a couple weeks ago. No referral needed, don't have to be symptomatic. Appointments or walk-up are both available (it's at a stadium with the line outdoors). It's rapid testing and I was texted my results before I even got all the way home. If you get a negative but are symptomatic, they ask you to return to the testing site and they will give you a non-rapid test to confirm the negative (I did not do that part - I was pretty sure I didn't have it). Sometimes people have been able to get a child under the age of five tested there and sometimes they haven't; that rule seems to keep changing.

Other places for testing include an urgent care place, CVS (drive thru, self swab), and my kids' pediatrician's office (they say they will test their patients and family members, so I could get tested there myself if I wanted). I believe those options are not free, or at least require insurance, but I'm not certain about that. Last I checked the urgent care place required a referral from a doctor, but that was a long time ago so I'm not sure if it's still the case.

I know more than one family planning to get everyone tested at the free place before getting together with extended family for Thanksgiving. It's very easy, though I do expect there'll be long lines with the pre-Thanksgiving crowd.

Blue county in Florida.

1 hour ago, freesia said:

It’s very easy where I am (at least if you have any symptoms at all)and completely covered by insurance.  My dd made an appt for a drive through at CVS. 

That's how the people that I know who've gotten tested have done it. From what I gather results are taking 24-48 hours. Purple state.

• Like 1

We’re in a swing state. DH is the only one who’s been tested. In smaller towns there are rotating free testing sites. There are many of them, but the first two he tried to go to were full and they weren’t letting anyone else into the line as of 2-3 pm. They apologized and said if he really needed testing come back before 10 am.  The next day he flexed a few hours at work and went at 8.  He was the 15th person on line. Test was free. Results were in 3 days, but over a weekend. 

If the test hadn’t been free our insurance sent a flyer that all visits and tests to screen for coronavirus are covered at 100% with no deductible or coinsurance. 

He’s also had antibody testing when donating blood. I didn’t ask how that works. 

I have no idea about costs but I have some knowledge of the wildly different results from the different types of tests.

The main test is the PCR, which Colombia stopped requiring of International Arrivals on 05 November, so that eliminated one problematic issue for my DD for her trip home. Getting the test and the  Negative result,  within 96 (?) hours of the Pushback time of the International flight or the arrival here in Colombia  isn't easy.

Before, when Colombia did require test results, only the PCR was acceptable.

The other test they give at Carolina is a Saliva based test :

• Cost: Free
  • How: Saliva-based specimen collection; no nasal swabs.

Caution: I wonder if the above Saliva baed test is the one Elon Musk (?) took 4 times one day last week?  Two of the tests were Positive and two of the tests were Negative. For that reason he did not go to the launch.   Apparently the company that sells those tests has Hardware issues with the lab equipment that evaluates the tests and gives such wildly varying results, from the same person on the same day...   His tests were evaluated on the machine(s) of one company and there are probably other companies that sell tests that are more reliable than the one his provider used last week.   

A few weeks ago I was able to go to a drive up site, fill out some information, wait about 30 minutes and get the PCR test.  I didn't pay anything but I think it was submitted to insurance.  Without insurance it's free and there's no copay or anything with insurance.   I had results in 3 days.

I have heard that as numbers surge more places are requiring appointments but it's still the same process, and it's still free. 

I'm in a very Blue state.  

• Like 1

Well, here the demand for testing has gone way up in the past 1-2 weeks and while it used to be easy, now the free drive-thru testing is booked out (they book several days in advance) and it’s not very easy to find anything sooner.  I’m not sure exactly on the free drive-thru, maybe a week?

It is also taking days to get test results back when it was same-day or next day until very recently. 

Well, our numbers doubled over the past 1-2 weeks.  That is what is going on here.  

My husband has been tested twice and it was very easy and fast the first time.  The second time it was hard to find a place that had appointments available.  And that has been two weeks ago now.  We were surprised when it was harder for my husband, and since then it has gotten worse.  

There is just more demand.  And I think also — there are people right now trying to get a test in anticipation of Thanksgiving, and maybe that is a reason for greater demand, too.  I’m not aware of any other reason (besides more people having been exposed or showing symptoms).  

Edit:  blue town in a red state

Edited by Lecka

Free and very easy. Many public heath centers, many clinics connected with our local teaching hospital, and several pharmacy chains all offer it. My city is averaging 35,000+ tests done per week. 

Blue city, red state.

Edited by ScoutTN

Wow, I just assumed it was free everywhere!  It's free here, and I'm pretty sure you don't need insurance.

At the start of the pandemic, I would have had to drive an hour to the one city (that I know of) that had started testing.

Now, the government here has worked super hard to make it easily available wherever you are, whether it's a small town or big city.  I think they've even opened up our convention center now.  You can also now order a saliva kit to be mailed to your home, if you're rather do it that way.

Blue state.

Edited by J-rap

I'm in Canada.

It's free and easy. You book an appointment online after completing a symptom questionnaire. (You need to have symptoms, or to believe you had a contact.)

It's usually for your nearest drive-thru, and generally appointments are available within a day or two of the day you are booking. (No walk-up, only appointments.)

When you get there (any time within your half-hour block) there's a short line up of cars, you talk to the nurse, confirm your details, and get swabbed.

They text you within 1 to 5 days with results.

Edited by bolt.

Very easy and accessible here. For the PCR/nasal swab with 24-48 hr turn around, it's somewhat more limited to those with symptoms or exposure, but there is nasal swab with longer turn around and saliva available to anyone, regardless of symptoms or exposure.   I don't actually know about cost for those that don't have insurance.  We gave them our insurance info, and haven't seen any billing.  

Follow on: In a Forum for travel I think I read that it costs up to about $400 USD for the PCR test? Before Colombia eliminated that requirement, I hoped the insurance my DD has would pay for it, or most of it, but I told her if they don't pay that she would need to pay or she wouldn't be allowed to fly here.

Someone in a travel forum indicated it may cost approximately $80 USD for the PCR here in Colombia?

Note: One of the reasons the Colombian government gave for eliminating the requirement for the PCR was that it isn't available in some countries. Also, the cost of the PCR...

My son was just tested and I had to schedule the test 48 hours out.  Results were in almost 96 hours later.  He started experiencing symptoms on a Tuesday and the results were finally available the following Monday.  We didn't pay anything, but we did provide our insurance card, so I'm guessing they will be billed, but I'm not positive.  

I was unimpressed with the whole process.  My son stayed in during this time, but I can't imagine everyone is going to do that with that long of a lag between symptoms and results.

Ours is free and easy. It was more difficult a few months ago, but now, it's drive through, no insurance needed, no appointment needed.

Bigger city next county over has 5 (maybe 6?) days a week 9-5 drive through testing. Lean out the window and get your nose swabbed. No symptoms needed. Just fill out a form with your name, address, phone number, and any symptoms. Takes 24-72 hours for results, although they say it can take up to a week. DH and youngest have both been through this one.

State (Illinois) hosts "pop up" testing in our county often (we're at almost 30% positivity). Same deal. Drive through, no insurance needed, results in 24-72 hours. I've used this one a couple of times. 

The urgent care down the street from me has testing 7 days a week, but they use the not as reliable test, so I haven't used them. They have 3 or 4 parking slots where they come out and test you while you remain in the car.

DD got tested prior to a hospitalization and that was charged to our insurance (which did cover it 100%), but that was a different than I'm having some cold symptoms or was exposed and I should probably get checked. 

Edited by historically accurate

In the summer, DH got an antibody test across the street and it took 24 hours. We were in NYC, so blue state.

I think right now wait time is longer, but it's still relatively easy to find a test in NYC. @Mrs Tiggywinkle said it's harder upstate, though. 

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

All these experiences have occurred in traditionally RED states (I say that because I've heard it's easier to access tests & lower costs in red states vs. blue ones... but I don't know the truth to that since all our experiences have been in red states).

Hmmmm, I'd be interested whether that's true. That's not my impression. 

Always been easy and free here.  The dept of health have had free drive through sites all during the pandemic.  Now they are open all the time instead of a week here and then another week in a different location. 

Because of the surge in our state, the university is also having their own free testing for anyone, not just students.  It is not drive up however.   Both places offer free testing for anyone 5 and older.  No symptoms needed.  Open everyday.  

We’ve had so many covid tests, most for stupid reasons (it’s like all diseases, sinus infections etc disappeared and it’s all covid all the time)but also because I chose to travel this summer and so I chose to get tested before and after.
cost is around $150 and my insurance won’t pay (we have some sort of high deductible plan) but they give us the benefit of their discount, so each covid test turns out to be around $100.

Last time one of us were tested was November and it was widely available and results came within hours. I’m in NY (not NYC)

eta that none of these are rapid tests

Edited by madteaparty

I'm in Georgia. My husband just got tested last week. He was able to make a next day appointment for a free drive-though PCR test through our county (their computers were down, so he ended up having to wait there for an hour, but I gather that's unusual). Results took 3 days to come back.  He also took a rapid test at an urgent care place, that should be covered by insurance. For that he was able to get a next day appointment for a virtual visit and then they gave him an in-person visit the day after that. My oldest is in college in Minnesota. He's been tested a bunch on campus, but Minnesota has free testing places set up all over, and they're also offering free mail in saliva tests for everyone. He just ordered one of those to take before coming home next week....they mail it to you, then you mail it back in a pre-paid envelope overnight mail, and you're supposed to get the results 24-48 hours after it gets back to them. I was going to stay that's one red and one blue state example, but I guess Georgia's not really a red state at the moment--the governor is, though, which I would guess is the most important factor when it comes to covid testing/response. Anyway, pretty easy and fast in both states; edge to Minnesota for speed and convenience.

Pretty easy here. Insurance is billed, but there is no out of pocket cost. 
Back in August,I was tested through an employer. People came to our work location, and we just showed up and waited our turn. I had to get tested just yesterday for a different employer. (This employer is required to test a set percentage of employees each week). I was provided a like to the county health department, registered online, and showed up on the scheduled day. There was one car in front of me. In my state, supposedly any one who wants a test can get one. The difficult part is scheduling. The health department only does Covid testing from 9-12 Monday, Wed., and Friday for those who are non-symptomatic or do not have know exposure.

In CT (blue) you can self-refer for PCR testing either to community health centers (free, no ID required) which have both permanent and pop-up sites across the state, or at many health providers (which require insurance, but CT's state-legislated version of Essential Health Benefits requires insurers to cover it). Results were coming back 24-48 hours a few weeks ago, but there's been a surge of demand recently and labs are backed up/results are taking longer now. I used a community health center on Nov 6 and didn't get results until Nov 11.

My eldest and many extended family members are in (blue) NYC and there are free clinics throughout the city. Results were taking <24 hours but demand seems to be surging there as well so it's taking a little longer.

My son lives in Pittsburgh (blue pocket of purple state now experiencing a pretty bad spike in cases). He's required to be tested regularly by his school, on campus, quick results... but I was a little surprised when I investigated trying to get my husband tested down there when he goes down to retrieve son (which worked better for our logistics) that it's quite hard to find a place there that allows people without symptoms to self-refer.

Where testing is easily available, it's starting to be used for non-diagnostic purposes -- more like a tool to enable nearly-normal life in the time of COVID. Two of my kids are required to test regularly as a condition for attending on-campus classes; I have one photographer relative who's being asked by clients to provide a recent negative test before doing jobs; I have a lovely young nephew who reports a new NYC phenomenon whereby first-time dates arrange for testing before meeting in person.  We're all getting testing in our disparate locations before we come together for Thanksgiving.

If you have symptoms, you can call and get a referral for drive through testing, but if you need a test and are not symptomatic, you have to go through a minor medical center and pay for it out of pocket. 

My whole family was tested last month before a small get-together with friends.  We made an appointment online at a pop-up site, which was easier than expected because after I registered myself it asked if I wanted to register other household members and I just needed to add their names and birthdates.  We arrived at our scheduled time, walked up, waited maybe 3 minutes for them to finish the family in front of us, and were back in our car in less than 10 minutes.  No charge.

When the pop-up sites aren't in the neighborhood I could call our regular clinic for an appointment, that would be no cost to us but they do bill insurance. Or, since I teach at a college my family can access the testing on campus at no cost to us. But since that's a 40 minute drive and I'm teaching online through January it's more convenient to do one of the other options.

Blue state.

• Like 2

I was surprised by this recently in talking with a friend; we're in the same state, but different cities, and our experiences were/are so opposite. 

In my county, it's crazy easy. There are various drive-thru testing sites, all over the county, no appointment needed, test is free, results in a couple of days (depending on how many tests they are processing). Or you can also call the county line and make an appointment for a test, again, free, test results within a few days. You can get the test with or without symptoms, with or without known exposure. 

Many of the "urgent care" places are offering the rapid tests; those of course you pay for, and I don't know the fee for that at all; we've not done them. I don't know about going through the doctor's office -- here, our doctor is not seeing anyone at all except for well visits and virtual, anyone with any kind of "upper respiratory" anything is being turned away/sent to the Urgent Care or ER. Presumably at those places, one could then procure a test. 

The various colleges are offering testing for students as well. 

BUT, my friend in another city said the county tests are only for those with symptoms, *and* they are defining the symptoms very narrowly (fever + trouble breathing + known exposure).....which is how it was here in the very early days when tests were in short supply, but since about April/May it's been easy. 

The thing is.....my county has been having a decline in numbers, while my friend's county is seeing a pretty big increase (she's in more of a hot spot than I am). 

• Confused 2

DH and I received tests over the summer and were not charged; it was through a program that the National Guard was doing.  There have been several programs advertised in my area where you could go to the fire station or other sites and be tested without a charge.  My county has started testing by mail, and there is not a charge.  Drive up testing is being done without charge at the local university Monday-Saturday for the next few weeks and is open to the general public (pcr test and results are averaging 28 hours).  So, I am under the impression it is fairly easy to get tested here.

I have heard the county is paying $100-$150 for each test--there is no cost to end user but they are not "free".

In MA (I'm in Boston) there are numerous Stop the Spread Sites in all the hotspot areas.  Not so many here in the city proper although our numbers are trending upward as well.  You can also use urgent cares and doctor's offices (although our medical practice sends us to their sponsoring hospital's drive through testing centers.  Over the summer we had neighborhood pop up testing vans and I hope they reinstate these soon as getting a no symptom test is most easy  to get for people who can drive to the ones outside the city. CVSs are doing drive through testing as well. I have had three tests so far and I haven't had to pay.

Return time at the Stop the Spread sites were 24 hours or less but now they are saying with the upsurge in testing it will take longer.  In September, my daughter was exposed in school and her test took 5 days to come back.  The school did require testing the week after that for all students.  In car and test results were back in three - seven days.

Edited by YaelAldrich
opsie

I live in a blue state.  Getting tested is not easy in my county and testing numbers are very low.  Most doctors seem reluctant to test for some reason.  The county north of us has a few places to get tested, but I have heard that it costs around $170.  The county south of us has at least one drive thru testing site at a hospital.  I only know about it because I drive past it every week to take DS for his allergy shot.

When DS had symptoms a few months ago, I called the doctor and they had him go to urgent care.  I had to request a test, though I was pretty sure it would be negative, and it was.  When I had symptoms a couple weeks ago, I had to request testing at my appointment.  It was negative. DH had to get tested before he could have his biopsy, which was required by his doctor.  All were free to us, insurance covered it.

There is quite a few free testing sites where I live but I am near to San Jose which is very densely populated and has a few hot spot zip codes. We are surrounded by hospitals and healthcare centers. The less densely populated areas in my county like Gilroy and Morgan Hill has less testing sites available. 

I'm in IA. We have free testing through Test Iowa. This summer it was super quick to get through, some sites had same day testing while most were next day. Results were back in 24-48 hours. 

Now, with cases at 2000-6000/day it is hard to get in I hear. I have heard it can take up to a week. My dh's boss had one yesterday with a 2 hour wait. It might depend on which site you are going to.

I got my test at the doctor's office. No wait, not sure if it will be free or not. I assume insurance will cover some of it.

There is a private business doing testing that is $80 for results in 24-72 hours and $110 for 1 hour results.

Red state, red town, blue county

Kelly

I've been tested twice. Once in July, when I had some cold symptoms and needed to feel confident that I could attend DD18's high school graduation. I took the test at the local urgent care and got the results back about three days later.

I was tested again two to three weeks ago, because I needed a negative test to go into my mom's nursing home, to see her, after she started declining. This time, I was able to get a rapid test and had my results in about 30 minutes. I did go at the very beginning of the day, to avoid the crowd, but I was able to log in when I got there, stayed in my car, waited just a few minutes, and didn't need a referral. They said they will bill my insurance. I live near our state capital (blue city in red state)

On the same day, my sister -- same state but two hours away in a more rural area (red town in red state) -- could not find anywhere to get a quick test. She had to go through CVS and waited three or four days to get her results back.

DD18 was finishing a quarantine (exposure to fellow student) at college and had to get a test last week, before we would let her come to Mom's funeral. She was sent by her college to a hospital about 20 minutes away to get her test and had to wait from Monday to Thursday to get her results. We thought about having her go to the urgent care by her school, but she heard they were only offering 30 tests per day, and friends told her there were people waiting for hours in a line down the sidewalk. Same state, opposite corner from my sister.

My brother got tested twice over the past month, because he had Covid. His doctor sent him with an order for a test to the local hospital. I think it took a couple of days to get his results (same city as my sister).

So it really varies throughout our state. In each case, I think the tests were billed to insurance. We haven't paid anything out of pocket.

Edited by Storygirl

My daughter just had the rapid test today.  She had to drive about 20 mins away and it was $20 co-pay.  Negative, thank goodness.

A church around the corner from us is advertising a Free Covid testing day next week.

My son had the non-rapid test back in Aug. and it was free. I think we went to a walk-in clinic.  

• Like 1

Not that easy. In our county you have to have at least three symptoms and then your primary doctor (or health dept. if you don't have one) sends your information to the COVID hotline. You call that number (waiting long waits for all phone calls to go through) and talk to a nurse. If the nurse thinks it's prudent, he/she will set up an appointment time for you to go through a drive-through testing site. (That part is fast.) They said 3-5 days for results, but it was little more than 24 hours when my husband was tested (negative). They are still doing the deep swab test, and it is not free (not sure what they will be charging as it will go through insurance first).

In my daughter's college-town county (same state), they have free drive-through testing for anyone—symptoms or none; however, it is by appointment only, and all appointments are filled for the two-weeks they show for appointment times. They are using the test where each nostril is swished instead of the deep swab.

Edited to add: We are in a red state, purple county. Dd is in same red state, blue county.

Edited by iamonlyone

I'm in a red state and the people that I know who have needed to be tested have been able to get it done within 24 hrs, with a result in 1-4 days.  Sometimes they run out of rapid tests - we know one person who wanted to get tested with a rapid test but they had run out, so they waited until the next day because waiting 24 hrs to get a rapid test was likely to get their results back faster than waiting 48-72 hrs for the PCR test result.  I know several people who have gotten tested, and nobody has had to wait for more than a day or 2 to get tested since maybe July?  At times they've said that they're not doing testing on demand and you need to have an exposure or symptoms, but since that's usually why people are getting tested it isn't a problem.  I don't know about cost.  

Mid-sized city near GTA in Ontario, Canada

Easy:  book on-line or by phone, can routinely get an appointment same day or the next day.   One must be symptomatic to qualify for testing (or have been ordered by public health to get a test, or belong to one of several select higher risk groups like healthcare workers, farm workers, indigenous communities etc). Symptom criteria are pretty loose.

Cost:  Free.  Fully paid for by provincial health care plan.  Out of pocket cost to the patient at point of care is zero.  (But of course, we all pay for healthcare indirectly with relatively high taxes. )