Menu

last time you ate in a restaurant & other restaurant musings....

prairiewindmomma

1. When was the last time you ate at a restaurant (defined as sitting down at a table whether inside or out)?

2. When was the last time you ate IN a restaurant (defined as being inside of a physical building)?

3. What restaurant do you most look forward to returning to?

4. Does getting take out bring the same amount of joy to you as eating in a restaurant?

5. Have you had restaurants close during this pandemic that you'd wished you made it to but didn't ever get to?

1. Sitting outside on patio - 11/6.
2. Probably February. We were already watching closely so it might have been January? 
3. Mexican. A good Mexican restaurant. I can make decent Mexican at home, or do a drive through, but a good Mexican restaurant is hard to beat. 
4. Yes, mostly. I can sit at home in comfort and not have to worry about loud radios/etc. 
5. Yes, we've had several close - Corner Bakery, Red Robin, fancy Cajun restaurant, Mediterranean restaurant, Luby's (was going belly up anyway), Jimmy Johns, and maybe one other.  I'll miss the Mediterranean restaurant - we did their drive-thru several times, but not enough people did. Jimmy Jones was convenient and handy for quick emergency meals. I won't miss the others. 

17 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

When was the last time you ate at a restaurant (defined as sitting down at a table whether inside or out)?

2. When was the last time you ate IN a restaurant (defined as being inside of a physical building)?

4. Does getting take out bring the same amount of joy to you as eating in a restaurant?

5. Have you had restaurants close during this pandemic that you'd wished you made it to but didn't ever get to?

1 -- sat out on a patio this past Friday, 11/13; first time since early March (oh, I had Starbucks in mid October, also on a patio)

2 -- sometime in March.....? 

3 -- I don't know; we've been doing take-out from our favorites, so I haven't felt especially deprived in that regard

4 -- more or less, yes

5 -- off the top of my head, no; the places we frequent are so far still open (we have been focused on locally owned places vs. chains; so far, so good)

Saturday I ate outside on a restaurant patio after the swim meet. I haven’t been inside a restaurant since Valentines Day because right after that I went into the hospital and by the time I recovered, our state was shut down. 

Take out always brings me joy because it is food I didn’t have to cook. 

I’m not really upset about not being able to eat in a restaurant, but I miss big parties with my friends. Pictures from one came up as a memory today and made me sad. 

So far, the restaurants who have gone out of business here are ones I never liked. 

1) Probably in late February.  I don't remember exactly. 

2) Same answer as #1

3) There's an Indian restaurant in San Antonio I would love to go to.

4) No, because we're far from most restaurants.  The drive time makes it a chore rather than a treat.

5) There are some small restaurants here that closed down, but to be honest, they were struggling before the pandemic.  

1. Mid September

2. Same as above

3. There's a little greasy spoon type diner in the next city that serves the most wonderful omelets and hash browns. I've been craving those lately.

4. No, definitely not. But I feel less bummed by take out now than I was at the beginning of the pandemic. I guess it's starting to feel normal (sigh).

5. No. I've only heard of a couple of restaurants that have closed, and both seemed like places that were failing even before the pandemic.

1. Sunday, 11/15

2. (Also Sunday)

3. nothing specific. My kids miss a sushi place that's take-out only right now. 

4. While I like not cooking, takeout still requires tidying up and managing the food once home. I prefer being waited on (assuming it's done well). 

5. Several restaurants in our town have permanently closed. My fave pizza place was one of them. A local landmark diner was another. I would have liked to have gone one last time. 

23 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. When was the last time you ate at a restaurant (defined as sitting down at a table whether inside or out)?

1.  Sometime in 2019. I don't remember.

2.  Same

3. Our neighborhood has some little places that we can walk to, as does the neighborhood I teach in.   A Salvadorean restaurant with pupusas my kids love, a Peruvian place with amazing Aguadito de Pollo, a little Ethiopian place, a take out with seafood.   Places where they recognize me when I walk in.  Those are the places I miss.   Foodwise, I miss sushi.  I only feel safe with food I can heat up.

4. Yeah, actually. There are things I really miss but being in the restaurant isn't up there.

5. I have been pretty out of it. I'm not sure I'd know if this happened.  There is a Uyghur place that opened this year that I wanted to try, but so far they seem to be holding on.  

• Like 1

1,2 and 4 - we have not had any food from a restaurant, take-out or dine in, since the last week of February or the 1st week of March.  No Starbucks or ice cream shops either 😔.

3 - Cafe Rio, Chic-fil-A, and Sweetwater’s (local place).

5 - Not sure what is open or closed anymore.  Since we are only eating at home, I haven’t paid attention to whether any have closed or not.

29 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I had to go look through credit card transactions to see the last time we went out to eat.  12/21/19 would have been the last time we had a sit down meal at a restaurant and of course back then it would have been inside the restaurant.  We've gotten takeout pizza a couple of times since COVID started and we got Chick Fil A takeout for one of my DD's birthday but that's the extent of our eating out.  I don't enjoy eating in restaurants  because I feel like all I do is juggle kids needs (especially when they were younger), and making sure they are quiet enough to not disturb others etc that I never really get to relax.  Even without kids, I really don't enjoy it because frankly I'm a really good cook and there aren't too many things that we eat out that I can't make at home that tastes just as good and for a fraction of the price.  But when we do get take out, it always brings me great joy because it means I can completely check out for a meal that day.  DH of course loves to go out to eat and can't understand why I don't find it enjoyable.  I'm MUCH MUCH happier with only doing take out. 

I would assume restaurants have closed but I have no idea which ones they might be. So no I'm not missing any.

1. End of February (for DD's b-day)

2. Same

3.  Maybe Chinese food.

4. Take-out is not the same.  DH and I go out to eat to get a break and be able to talk without kids.  It is nice to not have to cook, but definitely not the same.

5.  Many of our restaurants have closed permanently.  We are mostly down to fast food and a couple of small businesses that are trying to hold out.  One little coffee shop/lunch place just announced they are closing because of the new shutdown.  I had wanted to try it because my parents recommended it.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yesterday

Yesterday

All of my favorites/regulars are open.

Sometimes.

No.

1 & 2 - I have no idea. We usually did take out even before covid hit.

3 - Hu Hot! You just can't beat mixing your own sauces and watching them cook it on the stone in front of you and going back for seconds ... yum 

4 - I don't care where I eat it as long as I don't have to cook it.

5 - I don't think any have closed so far around here.

1. When was the last time you ate at a restaurant (defined as sitting down at a table whether inside or out)? Saturday! Definitely outside, and we were the only people in our section until right before we left, still with an abundance of space between us. We went at 4 in the afternoon to improve our chances and had three potential choices in the same area on our list. First one was nixed for too many people, even for outside.  Second one wasn't crowded but had a super small outside area - we couldn't control who might arrive, so they were nixed. Third one was just right, almost no one there plus a very big and spread out outside dining area. This was my first time eating at a restaurant, inside or out, since before March 15. We don't do it often, so it easily could have been a month or two before that. 

2. When was the last time you ate IN a restaurant (defined as being inside of a physical building)? Definitely before March 15, so 8+ months. 

3. What restaurant do you most look forward to returning to? No particular one. 

4. Does getting take out bring the same amount of joy to you as eating in a restaurant? No. I do enjoy it, but it's much more limited because I don't think most restaurant food fares as well as takeout  I'm really not inclined to put it in pans and reheat it and such, because once I start doing that I figure I might as well cook something simple. We have done more takeout than usual, though, because we are trying to support the local economy. I choose to believe this is why I gained pandemic pounds 😄 

5. Have you had restaurants close during this pandemic that you'd wished you made it to but didn't ever get to? No, I'm sure some have closed, but we  are not that familiar with the restaurant scene. 

I answered for myself and as a couple - dh's answers for himself would be completely different, because his job means he is eating with clients frequently, and they've been back at it for some time. 

1. I ate at a Chipotle the very last day before everything shut down, and I would not have even done that if I hadn't been shangaied into Manhattan to help my mother lug stuff home from the office. (If it'd been up to me, she would've stayed home, and I would've picked it up. I would've been in and out. She took FOREVER.) Actually, idk... maybe I bought at Chipotle and then ate in the park? Must've been a warm day for March if that's the case.

2. If we're excluding fast food or chains, earlier in March or February. Otherwise, see above.

3. I do miss soup dumplings. Some place that has soup dumplings. Oooh, and scallion pancakes, though I think I can do those at home.

4. It would if I could get the same variety of easy takeout by my home as I could elsewhere.

5. No, not really.

1. March - we made an early March run to Alabama to do a college tour. DD ended up going there so I am glad we got there.

2. March. Same trip

3. I don't know that we'll do much eating out - my budget is much happier now. Also, it's hard to think about the After Times.

4. Eh - if I don't have to cook, I'm happy. But it's less exciting eating around our table I guess.

5. Not really.

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

1. March - we made an early March run to Alabama to do a college tour. DD ended up going there so I am glad we got there.

Digression: where did she go? We've had several boardies at UAH, including my oldest dd who just graduated in spring (poor child, lol). 

• Like 2

1. In August, I ate at a table outside with my bunco friends. TBH, I wasn't very comfortable, though, because it was six of us and that was outside my comfort zone in reality. I had thought we would wear masks but the other ladies only wore the masks when required to. I did capitulate after a while.

2. The last time I ate IN a restaurant was when I was still in Austria, in late February. Once I had returned, all hell broke loose. 

3. I don't ordinarily eat at restaurants very much. This probably doesn't qualify, but I miss going to Panera and just having a nice bowl of soup by myself while I'm out running errands. I haven't done that since maybe January, but probably since last year. 

4. We did get some very nice take-out for our anniversary in October. The food was very good and it was close to being as enjoyable as going to a restaurant, because the main thing is I didn't have to prepare anything, nor clean up much. 

5. I did notice that a little family-owned pizza place I used to get take-out pizzas from any time I was getting take-out pizza (I usually make my own) has closed since the pandemic. Presumably, they could not survive. They were a divey little place as it was, but I always liked going over there. I imagine there are other restaurants that have closed but, like I said, I don't go out to eat often so I haven't noticed what other ones have closed. 

1)  Last time we ate on a patio was 11/7 at Red Robin.  We've eaten outside on the patio at a local restaurant fairly often.  

2) Last time we ate inside a restaurant?  Early March ish.  Mexican.  I remember being aware of covid and discussing whether or not it was safe with my husband, and we figured covid probably hadn't made it to our area yet.  

3)  Honestly, I really miss Mexican.  We get take out from them, but unlike Thai and Indian, it just doesn't travel as well and isn't at all the same.  

4)  Getting take out isn't as awesome as eating in a restaurant, but I don't miss it as much as I expected to.  I love restaurants. 

5)  I haven't seen any restaurants close permanently around here, although I haven't checked on a couple places that were primarily Chinese buffets.  They may have closed.  

1. About six weeks ago with my mom and my daughter. Yummy local burger place. 

2. May, when things were first opening back up, with my Dh for our anniversary. Fabulous dinner and a good date.

3. Family - our favorite cheap mexican place. With Dh for a special occasion - Honeysuckle Local - expensive foodie place with fabulous service and fun atmosphere.

4. Nice not to have to cook, but I often enjoy being waited on and the leisurely experience of dining out. Depends on who I'm with and the restaurant and the meal. Mostly take-out for us is because I couldn't pull dinner together and we all just need to eat something that is not pb&j or eggs. I am usually happy everyone got fed, but dismayed at the cost.

5. Not locally, but a favorite, family owned, Italian place in the city I went to grad school in closed early on. Very sad. I would have liked to go there with my dh. 

Our favorite middle eastern, hole-in-the-wall sort of place struggled during the lock down, but is doing ok now. 

Early March. 

Early March as well. 

Probably the local Szechuan place. 

Definitely not. 

Yes. 

1.  About 3 weeks ago, for lunch, outside, on a lovely day.

2.  Before SIP.  And actually as Covid was growing even before the SIP orders, I had already been avoiding this.  So maybe January.

3.  It’s not so much a specific restaurant as two specific types of food that I miss—dim sum and sushi.

4.  Absolutely not.

5.  No, but there are some that I’m definitely going to miss a lot, especially up in San Francisco where they are dropping like flies.

We haven't stopped eating out although it looks different since March. And I would say we've eaten out maybe a bit more to be sure to support local businesses through the pandemic. I always prefer anyway to get takeout and eat in the car, home, or if it's warm at a park but have eaten inside here and there as well. With COVID just beginning to climb in our area though, I'll probably go back to just takeout, and our Governor has shut down eating inside again, so no one has that option for awhile anyway.

beginning of November - DD wanted to go out somewhere and sit inside just her and I. I obliged. This is a Chinese restaurant we get takeout regularly at.

see above

None. Takeout works for me!

Yes, more actually.

Sadly, there have been a few that closed. We've either already been there or weren't that interested in going to them though.

Edited by IfIOnly

Friday night, The Keg, Niagara Falls, Ontario. It only felt strange because it was a different Keg than usual. We have gift cards to go to The Keg once a year, and we don't eat out at restaurants otherwise (We'll do take-out, occasionally). We had to travel for a funeral, and we used our gift cards while on the road. 

I was really impressed with how the restaurant adapted to facilitate all the covid requirements in our province. Tables were spaced way apart, markings on the ground to indicated where to enter/exit, hostesses outside the restaurant to greet guests, everyone had masks on, etc. 

Edited by wintermom

1. The last time I ate AT or IN a restaurant was March 4th.  Every Wed night, my dh and I eat a little dinner at home, and then we go to get a bowl of soup at the local Chinese restaurant for ‘dessert’. It was our weekly date night.

2.  See above. I haven’t eaten on the premises of a restaurant since March 4th.  However, I have eaten in the car in the parking lot a couple of times, but at a table with someone bringing me the food and refills? Not since March 4th.

3.  I most look forward to chinese buffet in the next town over. I love, love, love them. I still get takeout from them, but they are not offering all the little odds and ends they used to have on the buffet tables. 

4. Take out does not bring me the same amount of joy. I love it that I don’t have to cook, but I’ve found that a lot of dishes don’t make it home well. They get sort of soggy or lukewarm or the cheese on the pizza congeals, etc.  If I don’t eat it immediately as it’s come out of the oven, it just doesn’t taste the same.  Hence a few meals in parking lots.  

For me, it’s not about the food, though.  For me, eating out is about the conversation and lingering afterwards. I’m a picky eater and food isn’t very interesting to me overall. I greatly miss going to get a little sandwich with a friend and chit-chatting for a couple of hours.  

5. I don’t know of any restaurants that have closed. I would be very upset if the chinese buffet closed because we love the owners and chit-chat with them every time we go.  They would tell my kids about China whenever China came up in our history lessons.  I love their food, but I love *them* more.

Edited by Garga

1. Sometime in late November or early December 2019.

2. Same as #1.

3. I guess the Thai place we used to go to fairly often. In general, though, I don't miss restaurants or restaurant food.

4. Yes, I would rather get takeout.

5. I don't know of any restaurants that have closed. I live in a touristy area with a large number of restaurants and they have been busy throughout the pandemic. Most of them are defying the "no indoor dining" restriction.

The last one (our weather now is cold) was at our airport just two weeks ago....  They turned one of their terminals into a lounge where you could order a small meal or happy-hour type items.  It was super fun and special, and we felt safe there.  Tables were about 10 feet apart, and there were only 6 or so tables, and only one other table had people.  However, with the huge increase in Covid numbers since then, we probably won't be returning for awhile, even though it felt very safe.  😞

We HAVE eaten outside at several restaurant patios.  We live in a downtown area that converted some of their alleys into outdoor space for restaurants.  Another restaurant had city permission to block off an entire street.   So we've frequented about 4 of those restaurants near us.  None of that is happening now due to winter.  (Already two snow storms!)

I don't look forward to one restaurant specifically, but just the enjoyment of an evening at a nice restaurant where you take your time and it's cozy and a time to relax and enjoy the moment on no one's schedule.

Taking out is definitely not the same at all.  I mostly only do it to support local restaurants.

We've had several restaurants close within 6 blocks of us.  We've tried to support them but I guess it wasn't enough -- most of them have closed.  Breaks my heart.

1. 11/3 to celebrate my husband’s birthday. 

2. Same day. We have been eating indoor at restaurants since 4/15. Even did a 2 week road trip in June and went to restaurants(some indoor/some patio) in 6 different states. 

3. The one we went to in April, local place called River City Bistro. The only places still not open for indoor dining are fast food places like Chickfila, Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc. 

4. We like eating in a restaurant but really enjoy patio dining. I like how creative restaurants became with takeout - family meals, freezer meals, etc

5. I don’t think any restaurants have closed, thankfully.

1. 11/11 for Veterans day

2. 11/11.  

3. Not any in particular.  All are currently open, but we don’t eat out much due to expense

4. Prefer eating at the restaurant.  The food doesn’t taste the same when you get carry out and get it home.

5.  No.  We’re bummed Sweet Tomatoes shut down for good because we used to like it now and then.  Otherwise, not aware of anything else closing.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1.  Early March, had Panera with my oldest daughter.   Haven't eaten at a restaurant, even outside, since.  Outside wasn't an attractive option for us because of weather and the way some of the temporary outdoor setups were.

2.  Early March, same as #1.   

3.  I'm not sure.  I've been craving a pina colada so someplace that I can get one of those. 😉

4.  Yes, but we've never been ones to eat out very often.  Dh is an amazing cook so we still manage to have all our favorite foods, prepared as well as they are in a restaurant, if not better.  Dh may miss eating out more than I do since he does 99% of the cooking, but he doesn't seem to.  

5.  Not that I'm aware of.  

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. When was the last time you ate at a restaurant (defined as sitting down at a table whether inside or out)? June 24th

2. When was the last time you ate IN a restaurant (defined as being inside of a physical building)? June 24th

3. What restaurant do you most look forward to returning to? Mike's American Grill 

4. Does getting take out bring the same amount of joy to you as eating in a restaurant? No 

5. Have you had restaurants close during this pandemic that you'd wished you made it to but didn't ever get to? Nothing near us..we mostly have learned to cook our favorite foods.

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. I can't even remember the last time I ate in a restaurant. Certainly not since March. Because I love to cook and have a talent for it, dining out is usually a let down--to be honest. Even pre-Covid eating out for us was a far less common event than for typical Los Angelenos, I suspect. When we dine out it is usually for a good reason--like exploring an unfamiliar cuisine--rather than being a choice of convenience.

2. See 1.

3. I would enjoy having some exceptionally good sushi.

4. Restaurant food rarely brings me joy and where there are exceptions the ambience of an inviting restaurant definitely adds to the pleasure of the experience.

5. I have very little idea what's happening beyond the confines of my home and yard to me honest. I rarely venture out and am always a little startled to see people out and about on those occasions. I generally try to save the little errands that need to get run--like doing curbside pickups--for Mrs Spy Car, as she has a harder time than I being cooped up and it seems good for her mental health to get out. I've completely adjusted to being a recluse and sometimes wonder if I will have any difficulty with "reentry" once I have access to a vaccine.

Bill

At the beginning of this month.  Only because it was for DH work.  I didn’t feel overly comfortable with it.  Eating out is rare for us anyway due to the budget.  Part of eating out for me is being in an environment away from all the things that need to be done so I don’t think take away so a direct substitute but it’s still better than cooking.  We thought a cafe had been shut down it in fact they reopened over the road so they were just moving.  I suspect a second shut down if that ends up being required will be more damaging as our first was only a week. 

I went to a restaurant last week.  It was my second time eating out since March; both times were within the last month.  They had very few customers and lots of space between tables at both places.   It was definitely better than takeout, which we've also gotten twice since March.  There are some lovely local places that have shut down for good, so I'm glad these are still open.  

• Like 1

1. In August we had ice cream cones, spread out in the ice cream shop's parking lot with some friends. They had removed the tables, so the kids sat on the curb.

2. On March 4 we had cheeseburgers and fries at a place where my kid was participating in an Irish dance performance. A friend passed around hand-sanitizer at the table before we ate. On March 6, which turned out to be the last St. Patrick's Day show of the year for us, I got take out to eat in the car instead of dining out. 

3. I am not sure. I am craving lots of things. At the moment I am reminiscing about my lunch at the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Oh, to be able to do that again.

4. Mostly. I can get take out from lots of good places now. There are some things that just don't do well as take out though. And I usually only ate out with other people, so I miss that more than being waited on.

5. I have seen some places close that I will miss, but none that I was hoping to go to but never got to. There is one place that had a "Dad's Meatloaf" lunch special, and I went there on my own in January on the one year anniversary of my father's death, and had the meatloaf, which really was very much like his. I wanted to have it again a few months ago, to go, but the place has permanently closed.

1&2, it may have been early December 2019 the last time I used a “full menu” restaurant, and that was for a holiday party.

We did eat outside at a friend’s little specialty joint this summer. They’ve closed for the winter with plans to reopen next year.

We’ve had some fast food and quasi-fast food take-out, and we’ve picked up fundraiser meals. Technically, I guess that’s “restaurant”, but they’re not the same thing in my head.

I’m not really missing any specific food. I haven’t been big on eating out since kid #3 because little kids are a hassle in restaurants. By the time #5 was tame, restaurants were a rare, special treat because of the expense of a family of 7, lol. As they got older, it was still relatively rare for dh and me because I had lived without it for so long. 🤷‍♀️ 

A very old restaurant in our greater area closed not that long ago. I know they say it’s the pandemic, but I had also read of their struggle a long time before that, and their reviews were in the dumps. With so many other restaurants maintaining (no doubt struggling, but not seeming to be facing impending closures), I just don’t know how accurate that reason is.

I do have a little bit of wanting what I cannot have going on, but it’s not a huge bother. Certainly not enough for me to be indoors without a mask, and it’s cold outside. When we do pay nice restaurant prices for food in disposable containers, I prefer it be for a fundraiser, which are pretty frequent around here these days.

We had crappy pizza no-contact delivered last night just in case that option goes away for a little while. I don’t think it will, but it was a convenient excuse to be lazy.

Early March 😭

same 😭

a little local dive cafe that I adore. They serve breakfast any time of the day. I was worried they wouldn't survive this, but they literally cut out an opening in the brick on the side of their building and installed a drive through for pickup orders!

Yes. I really don't like eating in restaurants - too many people talking and moving about - it throws my senses out of whack. But, MAN do I MISS IT anyway!!! 🥴

For some bizarre reason, I am weirdly concerned that the Golden Corral nearby might go out of business (they've been closed since late March, iirc). I haven't set foot in a Golden Corral in OVER a decade, but the thought that Covid might've taken out our town's Golden Corral has me all bent out of shape. 🤔Just the weirdest thing to worry about, but every time I drive by and see the "temporarily closed" sign, I feel panicky! 🙄🤪 Most non-buffet-style restaurants around here are still going strong. People like to eat out, I guess!

Edited by easypeasy

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. & 2. Recently

3. Wandering the streets of NYC & Brooklyn thoughtlessly picking up a slice of pizza or stopping for a turnover at a Jewish deli.  I dream about doing that a again; believe it is gone in my lifetime.

4. I am beginning to prefer my own home for takeout, but it is so long to drive anywhere that the turnaround is too long to make it feel worth it.  There used to be something about the din of a busy restaurant that brought me joy, but that has faded as the years have gone by.  

5. See 3.  Many are likely closed for good=(

1) We ate outside at a restaurant last Thursday.

2) We haven’t eaten inside a restaurant since late February.

3) There are several local downtown places dh and I enjoyed going to for breakfast on the weekends and I’m looking forward to doing so again.

4) It’s not the same but I still enjoy getting takeout instead of cooking.

5) Nothing that we enjoy has closed down during this.

Most of our family eats inside restaurants several times a week and so we’re seen as crazy. Heck, my 80 year old in laws are back in the casinos now.  It helps to see many here doing the same as we are. 

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1.   February.  

2.  February.

3. I don't like eating in restaurants.  Too noisy, too many people, too stressful.  So this doesn't apply to me.

4. Take out brings more joy.  See #3.

5. No have closed that I am aware of.   Our favorites are open for at least take out so we are good.  I just hope they manage to stay in business.

1. Early March
  2. Early March
  3. A lovely place run by a lovely couple -- he's French, she's a force of nature -- that has an old school elegant New England fancy-French downstairs and a jazz bar/more informal bistro upstairs, with a large lovely garden where they put out tables in the summer and a large upstairs terrace off the bistro that overlooks the garden. We've had multiple family celebrations there over the years. They've mostly shifted their business model over to takeout and catering (but who's doing large catered events...) ... and they opened for a couple months for outdoor dining (but we weren't up for it) and now it's too cold.
  4. No, I definitely respond to a great atmosphere. However, an awful lot of restaurants don't actually have a great atmosphere -- just a lot of loud music and cramped space and overpriced drinks -- so for many local restaurants I've come to prefer delivery or takeout.  One thing I do miss is restaurant desserts -- we're not big dessert eaters and I don't really bake. And while I was often tempted to try a dessert in-restaurant, and enjoyed it, I never order one for delivery or takeout.
  5. So far the ones we've loved best have managed to transition to delivery or takeout and hang in.

It's interesting - I missed eating out a LOT in the early days of this, but that frustration has waned over time, and right now missing in-restaurant dining wouldn't make my Top 10 list.  We've figured out how to manage -- a very short list of instant-drive through options if someone's out on other errands, a longer list of curbside/takeout, a very long list of delivery or Uber Eats if the evening Zoom schedule precludes any time when we can sit together, a place where we keep the fistfuls of menus... it's the new normal, it's all right.

We are outside a few times in MO in October, although usually takeout taken to a table, as opposed to officially at the restaurant. My last inside dining was in Feb or maybe early March. 

I really miss Crispy tofu at a particular Asian place. We used to go there weekly with DD's BFF. They're open for takeout, but the tofu goes soggy really fast so by the time you get it home, it's not very good. 

Most of the closings have been chain restaurants that closed locations nationally. The locally owned/operated seem to be doing OK. A lot have moved to doing family meals for takeout, and I really hope that continues. 

A few weeks ago for a friend’s bday. Outdoors, each couple had their own 2 top table, the tables were arranged in a wide circle. 

I haven’t done indoor dining since Valentine’s Day. I guess technically, that wasn’t even dining. Dh and I went out to a bar after dinner. They had a jazz band playing and it was a really nice night. I can’t remember my last dining experience. Probably in January. 

I don’t really miss any specific restaurant because outdoor dining has been available. 

Take out is not the same. 

No, but I have had a couple of favorites close permanently and that makes me really sad.