Menu

Melatonin fights COVID-19 (and lessons neurological symptoms and depression)

Katy

(deleted for privacy)

I saw this study linked on Instagram today. Seems like we should all be taking it, and it probably can’t hurt those who already have neurological involvement and may help. 

Sorry if this is already in the COVID thread. I haven’t kept up with it for a few months. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201109152223.htm

Edited by Katy
  • Like 7

I clicked through and couldn't seem to find a specific dosage, even on the original study.  This was found using big data, but when they controlled for other risk factors it looks like daily use of melatonin reduces risk about 30%.  It's not a double blind study, but it is a very strong correlation.

• Like 1

Makes sense - they know patients with MND who don't get good sleep and deal with anxiety progress faster.  Apparently melatonin reduces oxidative damage -like glutathione, B12, Vit C, and NAC.  Ironic that the very things that reduce risks in Covid are all things they advise for a host of neuro diseases like MND, Parkinson's, etc.

I think we underestimate Covid by letting people compare it to the flu.  It is NOT remotely the same.  

• Like 14

The scientific paper cited in the linked article explores multiple drugs, but here is the paragraph in the Discussion section that covers melatonin:

We found that among individuals who received testing for SARS-CoV-2, melatonin usage was associated with a 28% and 52% reduced likelihood of a positive laboratory test result for SARS-CoV-2 in the all combined population (Fig 8A) and black Americans (Fig 8C), respectively, after adjusting for age, sex, race, smoking, and various disease comorbidities. Using user active comparator design, we further found that melatonin usage was associated with a reduced likelihood of a positive laboratory test result for SARS-CoV-2 compared to use of ARBs and ACEIs as well. Exogenous melatonin may be of benefit in older patients with COVID-19, given the aging-related reduction of endogenous melatonin and the greater vulnerability of older individuals to mortality from SARS-CoV-2 [94], the latter potentially due to declining immunity, i.e., immunosenescence [95]. Moreover, melatonin suppresses NLRP3 inflammasome activation induced by cigarette smoking and attenuates pulmonary inflammation [96], not only via reduction of NF-κB p65 and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) expression, but also via increase in anti-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-10 or IL-6, which can also have anti-inflammatory effects [97,98]. Thus, large-scale observational studies and randomized controlled trials are needed to validate the clinical benefit of melatonin for patients with COVID-19. It would be important, however, that the trials be designed with the understanding of the mechanism of the drug to be repurposed. For example, it would be obvious that drugs that decrease viral entry, e.g., part of melatonin’s action, would be beneficial in preventing infection or very early in the COVID-19 course, but may be inconsequential when utilized in severe or end-stage infection. Several randomized controlled trials are being performed to test the clinical benefits of melatonin in patients with COVID-19 (ClinicalTrials.gov NCT04409522 and NCT04353128). In addition, the Selective Estrogen Modulation and Melatonin in Early COVID-19 (SENTINEL) trial is underway to test the combination therapy [99] of melatonin with toremifene (an approved selective estrogen receptor modulator [100]) for patients with early and mild COVID-19 (ClinicalTrials.gov NCT04531748).

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Thank you!

oddly, I’ve had terrible insomnia lately(I think just stress more than anything) and have been taking melatonin every night.  Maybe I’ve been inadvertently doing the right thing lol.

this is me exactly.  I take melatonin every night.  It doesn't help since my sleep problems are stress related right now.  But, at least I'm doing something right.  

@Katy  thanks for the link.  I haven't been on the main covid thread in months.  I think it is better to put information out on a new thread because I think there are many of us who avoid that thread.  

• Like 5

I take about 10 mg of melatonin a night and have for many years. I had a negative COVID test, but we probably had it recently.

I do feel I've recovered fairly quickly but was hit reallllly hard in the beginning. Energy back after a week though. Chest stuff much better yesterday (day 9), no symptoms of uncomfortableness today. Oil of oregano (and melatonin apparently) has been my main and most relied upon natural treatment. Just my 2¢ personal experience.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Makes sense - they know patients with MND who don't get good sleep and deal with anxiety progress faster.  Apparently melatonin reduces oxidative damage -like glutathione, B12, Vit C, and NAC.  Ironic that the very things that reduce risks in Covid are all things they advise for a host of neuro diseases like MND, Parkinson's, etc.

I think we underestimate Covid by letting people compare it to the flu.  It is NOT remotely the same.  

Melatonin really helps my son with PANDAS. Actually, it works super well for all my kids - counteracts the blue light exposure they get in the evening  think. They often take 3mg about 30-60 minutes before bed. 

And agree. This is not the flu

21 minutes ago, matrips said:

Any recommendations for a good melantonin that you’ve tried and works?  Would prefer to keep a dosage of 1-2mg since we’ve never taken it before.  For me and 3 teens.  Thanks!

I've taken the Source Naturals sublingual for years. It comes in 1 mg doses as well as higher ones. With the 1 ng dose, if you find you need more, you can just increase the dose 1 mg at a time. I am a life-long insomniac and I take 2-3 mg. 

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Science-Melatonin-Orange/dp/B0014GXK7O

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

What dosage?

My nutritionist, who spends a lot of time looking at research of all kinds (all her recommendations are research-based), told me last week that they (idk who “they” is) are recommending 10 mg/day for most people and 40 mg/day for healthcare workers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, caedmyn said:

My nutritionist, who spends a lot of time looking at research of all kinds (all her recommendations are research-based), told me last week that they (idk who “they” is) are recommending 10 mg/day for most people and 40 mg/day for healthcare workers.

That seems high.  Do you know if that Is that maintenance or if you have covid?  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, matrips said:

That seems high.  Do you know if that Is that maintenance or if you have covid?  

I don't know, but my guess is they do have Covid.  Most people who take it just for sleep use between 1-10 mg. Too high a dose makes many people get weird dreams or have trouble waking up/thinking clearly in the morning, so the dose for sleep depends on the individual. I use 1 mg timed released tablets from Natrol.  Any more than that and I can't wake up after 8 hours of sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Can someone summarize the research for me here? I can’t get much out of that summary. Why do they think it helps?

In short they don’t know. It’s a hormone that is also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. The person who I saw talking about it on Instagram explained 3 possible pathways. 2 of which went over my head, one had something to do with ACE receptors, the third had to do with blocking cytokine storms. 

31 minutes ago, Katy said:

In short they don’t know. It’s a hormone that is also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. The person who I saw talking about it on Instagram explained 3 possible pathways. 2 of which went over my head, one had something to do with ACE receptors, the third had to do with blocking cytokine storms. 

What’s the evidence it works?

16 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

I've tried all kinds of melatonin and recommend Source Naturals. It works the best hands down. I need their time release an hour or two before bedtime, or I won't sleep through, plus sublingual at bedtime to get to sleep.

Does it really help you sleep through the night?  I fall asleep easily but can't stay asleep.

46 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

There hasn’t been a double blind study. There was a very large big data analysis that showed that when controlled for other risk factors for the general population it reduced positive lab tests by 30%, and 50% for African Americans. And among those who got it anyway they were less likely to have neurological symptoms or depression. This goes hand in hand with studies earlier that showed melatonin may have some beneficial effects, but it’s like Vitamin D. Correlation not proven. 

ETA: in the USA it’s over the counter. You can get 10mg gummies from Amazon. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Does it really help you sleep through the night?  I fall asleep easily but can't stay asleep.

Just another thought on this, I get that symptom when my Vitamin D is low.  However, low for me is when my D gets below about 50 (which is still very much normal according to the standard norms).  When I keep my D above 60 or so, I have no problems with staying asleep. 

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have the same issue.  What dosage are you taking?  I only take 3mg.

2 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Just another thought on this, I get that symptom when my Vitamin D is low.  However, low for me is when my D gets below about 50 (which is still very much normal according to the standard norms).  When I keep my D above 60 or so, I have no problems with staying asleep. 

I wonder if that's causing a problem for me.  My D level is in the 30s without supplementing and increases to 40s with supplements.  

Edited by Kassia

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

So far it's only a correlation, but there are several trials happening if you want to take a look at them: 

Several randomized controlled trials are being performed to test the clinical benefits of melatonin in patients with COVID-19 (ClinicalTrials.gov NCT04409522 and NCT04353128). In addition, the Selective Estrogen Modulation and Melatonin in Early COVID-19 (SENTINEL) trial is underway to test the combination therapy [99] of melatonin with toremifene (an approved selective estrogen receptor modulator [100]) for patients with early and mild COVID-19 (ClinicalTrials.gov NCT04531748).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Yes! Oh, TR makes all the difference. When I switched to time release I started sleeping all the way through the night. Source Naturals has a TR 2mg and 3mg. I used to be able to take just one TR before and 1 sublingual at bedtime, but an antidepressant majorly messed up my sleep (couldn't continue on with it due to the insomnia) and now need to take much more, PLUS other stuff. 

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Sleep-Science-Melatonin/dp/B0001VVVOM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=time+release+source+naturals&qid=1605646624&s=hpc&sr=1-8

Edited by IfIOnly

4 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Thanks.  I think it is largely my age.... menopausal.  My Vit D is at the high end of optimal.

This is fascinating.  I take 15mg of melatonin every night for sleep.  If I wake up during the night I pop another 5mg.  This has been working well for me.  I do need to try the timed-release but have a nice stock of the quick dissolve so I don't mind continuing to use it.     It has been a godsend for me getting decent sleep every night.  I rarely have the weird dreams some report and I wake up just fine in the morning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have taken Melatonin for years. I recently learned that it is more effective if you take it several hours before your planned bedtime. Serotonin needs time to develope. And yes, it does make a difference.