Menu

Calling music lovers: A music poll - update with song titles ANSWERS

wintermom

I'm familiar with Gordon Lightfoot, Dire Straits, Huey Lewis and the News, and The Guess Who.

I'm a huge fan of Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell.

I thought the Bay City Rollers were Scottish, eh?

I'm aware of the existence of Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLaughlin, and Michael Buble.

I'm completely ignorant of Kim Mitchell, Trooper, Chris De Burgh, Tom Cochrane, Doug and the Slugs, Chilliwack, Tragically Hip, Jan Arden, Glass Tiger, and Leona Boyd.

Of the artists I know I think they are all Canadians except for Dire Straits, Huey Lewis, and the Bay City Rollers. 

Where is Anne Murray? Bonnie "Morning Dew" Dobson? Or my favorites Ian & Sylvia? (Four Strong Winds, The French Girl).

Glenn Gould. Diana Krall. k.d Lang. The Cowboy Junkies. Hank Snow. Robert Goulet.

And 4/5 members of the Band were Canadians. Do they count for inclusion as Canadian under the radio rules?

Bill

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

These are the ones I've heard of, and the ones I knew were Canadian are in red. Lightfoot, Young, Mitchell, and Cohen were among my top 10-15 favorite musicians when I was a teen. I don't get the reference to Young and the Eagles, though — I knew of him with Buffalo Springfield, Crazy Horse, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and as a solo artist, but I don't know of any connection to the Eagles. 

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69

- Rush, 

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night

- Huey Lewis and the News

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles

- Joni Mitchell, 

You're right! I messed up completely by adding him to the Eagles. I meant Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Thanks for correcting this. I also forgot about Buffalo Springfield. That was an amazing group! Three Canadians in that group.

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'm familiar with Gordon Lightfoot, Dire Straits, Huey Lewis and the News, and The Guess Who.

I'm a huge fan of Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell.

I thought the Bay City Rollers were Scottish, eh?

I'm aware of the existence of Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLaughlin, and Michael Buble.

I'm completely ignorant of Kim Mitchell, Trooper, Chris De Burgh, Tom Cochrane, Doug and the Slugs, Chilliwack, Tragically Hip, Jan Arden, Glass Tiger, and Leona Boyd.

Of the artists I know I think they are all Canadians except for Dire Straits, Huey Lewis, and the Bay City Rollers. 

Where is Anne Murray? Bonnie "Morning Dew" Dobson? Or my favorites Ian & Sylvia? (Four Strong Winds, The French Girl).

Glenn Gould. Diana Krall. k.d Lang. The Cowboy Junkies. Hank Snow. Robert Goulet.

And 4/5 members of the Band were Canadians. Do they count for inclusion as Canadian under the radio rules?

Bill

Chris De Burgh is Irish, though he tours in Canada a lot. I've seen him 3 times. Amazing artist and storyteller. Definitely check him out. 

Thanks for adding in other great Canadian artists! I didn't have their cd's on the play-list in the car this weekend, which is why they weren't foremost in my mind. 😉  Time to crack open more great music from the past!

8 hours ago, J-rap said:

It's kind of a long list 😄, but I'll give it a shot.  I didn't grow up purposely listening to music, but of course it played at all the dances, parties, gatherings I went to, so I did hear it a lot, I just didn't pay a lot of attention to the names of groups, etc.

- Gordon Lightfoot  - Yes!

- Bryan Adams - This name wasn't familiar, but when I googled a couple songs of his I definitely recognized them.  

- Kim Mitchell - No

- Trooper - No

- Rush - No

- Chris De Burgh - Didn't recognize the name, but definitely know his music 

- Leonard Cohen - No

- Celine Dion - Yes

- Tom Cochrane - No

- Dire Straits - Yes 

- Doug and the Slugs - No

- Barenaked Ladies - No 

- Chilliwack - No

- Tragically Hip - No

- Sarah McLaughlin - No

- Jan Arden - No

- Bay City Rollers - Didn't recognize the name, but recognized some of the songs when I played them

- Huey Lewis and the News - No

- Glass Tiger - No

- Michael Buble - YES!!

- Neil Young - Yes

- Joni Mitchell - Absolutely!

- The Guess Who - No

- Leona Boyd - No

I didn't know any of them were from Canada, but I guess I didn't assume they were all from the USA either.  Didn't really think about it!

Thanks for tackling the long list! It could have been way longer, but there has to be a limit somewhere. 😉

I didn't think too much about where bands and artists were from, but I think there's a different vibe about music in Canada, where we're aware of our tiny population compared to our "big brothers," the US and England. 

You mentioned parties as a place to hear music - for me it was The Muppet Show. There were so many music artists as guest stars on that show, which broadened my awareness beyond the radio, my parents', my brother's, and my friends' tastes in music. I must not forget my sister - she was the big Bay City Rollers fan and she bought the album. I can still picture it now... S A T U R D A Y, night!!! 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Huge apologies to any Aussies who have made it this far in the thread! I did love music artists from down under. The Bee Gees, of course, Olivia Newton John, Kylie Minogue and Men at Work withthe song, Land down under, were all very, very popular amongst my crowd. I simply knew that they were Australian, thus they didn't make the original list. Clearly I need a new, much longer list!

And to my New Zealand friends, Kiri Te Kanawa is my favourite female opera singer! She became even more well known with her appearance on Downton Abbey. 

Edited by wintermom

I'm doing this without reading previous answers.  It looks like I'm the right age for your list.  😉 

-Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny - heard of, American?

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69 - heard of, know he's Canadian

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns - never heard of

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car -never heard of

- Rush, -British

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling -heard of song Lady in Red but not artist

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah - heard of, Canadian I think

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme -heard of, know she's Canadian

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats) - heard of, American 

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life - heard of, Australian I think

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work - never heard of

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars - heard of, pretty sure Canadian

- Chilliwack - never heard of

- Tragically Hip, - never heard of

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger - heard of, I think Canadian

- Jan Arden - never heard of

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night - American

- Huey Lewis and the News - British- 

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money) - is that the song from Saint Elmo's Fire?  I assume Canadian because of the details there.

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner - heard of, Canadian

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles - heard of, American

- Joni Mitchell, -heard of, American

- The Guess Who, heard of, British

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist, never heard of

ETA: Thinking about it, some of the ones I'm sure of on first run through, on second thoughts I may be wrong (like is it Shania Twain that's Canadian, not Celine Dion? or both?).  Feel free to correct. 🙂

Edited by DorothyNJ

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Thanks for tackling the long list! It could have been way longer, but there has to be a limit somewhere. 😉

I didn't think too much about where bands and artists were from, but I think there's a different vibe about music in Canada, where we're aware of our tiny population compared to our "big brothers," the US and England. 

You mentioned parties as a place to hear music - for me it was The Muppet Show. There were so many music artists as guest stars on that show, which broadened my awareness beyond the radio, my parents', my brother's, and my friends' tastes in music. I must not forget my sister - she was the big Bay City Rollers fan and she bought the album. I can still picture it now... S A T U R D A Y, night!!! 😅

That's funny about the Muppet Show!  😄  I'm sure I learned a few things from those Muppets!  I know Sesame Street is where I first heard about Vincent Price. 🙂  (Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DorothyNJ said:

I'm doing this without reading previous answers.  It looks like I'm the right age for your list.  😉 I'm 53.

-Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny - heard of, American? No, Canadian

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69 - heard of, know he's Canadian YES!

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns - never heard of Canadian

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car -never heard of Canadian

- Rush, -British No, Canadian

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling -heard of song Lady in Red but not artist  Irish

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah - heard of, Canadian I think YES!

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme -heard of, know she's Canadian YES!

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats) - heard of, American No, Canadian

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life - heard of, Australian I think  British

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work - never heard of Canadian

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars - heard of, pretty sure Canadian YES!

- Chilliwack - never heard of Canadian

- Tragically Hip, - never heard of Canadian

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger - heard of, I think Canadian YES!

- Jan Arden - never heard of Canadian

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night - American  Scottish

- Huey Lewis and the News - British-  American

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money) - is that the song from Saint Elmo's Fire?  I assume Canadian because of the details there. YES! And I think that the song could be titled "St. Elmo's Fire" Both this and "Man in Motion" are in the lyrics. The tour was called "Man in Motion."

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner - heard of, Canadian YES!

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles - heard of, American No, Canadian

- Joni Mitchell, -heard of, American Canadian

- The Guess Who, heard of, British No, Canadian

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist, never heard of Canadian

ETA: Thinking about it, some of the ones I'm sure of on first run through, on second thoughts I may be wrong (like is it Shania Twain that's Canadian, not Celine Dion? or both?).  Feel free to correct. 🙂 Both are Canadian

Thanks for completing the poll! You did well. Some of these Canadian artists were my dh's favourites, and I never heard of them growing up. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Huge apologies to any Aussies who have made it this far in the thread! I did love music artists from down under. The Bee Gees, of course, Olivia Newton John, Kylie Minogue and Men at Work withthe song, Land down under, were all very, very popular amongst my crowd. I simply knew that they were Australian, thus they didn't make the original list. Clearly I need a new, much longer list!

And to my New Zealand friends, Kiri Te Kanawa is my favourite female opera singer! She became even more well known with her appearance on Downton Abbey. 

Can't have Australians w/o Nick Cave. Try "(I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World" or "Into My Arms" as introductory songs if Cave is unfamiliar. His baritone voice is so dark that it can be scary. LOL.

If adding opera singers, we need to include the great Australian soprano Joan Sutherland.

Plus add tenor Jon Vickers to the Canadian greats.

Bill

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Can't have Australians w/o Nick Cave. Try "(I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World" or "Into My Arms" as introductory songs if Cave is unfamiliar. His baritone voice is so dark that it can be scary. LOL.

If adding opera singers, we need to include the great Australian soprano Joan Sutherland.

Plus add tenor Jon Vickers to the Canadian greats.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions and additions. I'm finding it hard to stay focused on 'work' today. 😉  Too many songs are playing in my head. 

Speaking of 'story-telling' vocalists, I have to include Harry Chapin as a worthy American. 😄

Edited by wintermom

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

If you don't know Nick Cave, the two songs I mentioned will be a revelation. 

Bill

I've heard Into My Arms. Can't remember where and when.  Nick Cave has a similar flavour to Leonard Cohen for me. That deep voice is atypical for most pop songs. Harry Chapin was a baritone, too. I prefer singing along to a baritone, as I'm closer to an alto than soprano. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, wintermom said:

I've heard Into My Arms. Can't remember where and when.  Nick Cave has a similar flavour to Leonard Cohen for me. That deep voice is atypical for most pop songs. Harry Chapin was a baritone, too. I prefer singing along to a baritone, as I'm closer to an alto than soprano. 😉

Yes, Cave and Cohen share similarities. Cave has covered a number of Leonard Cohen's songs.

Bill

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If you can sing in German (or can fake it) one of the vocal/choral works that I find to be among the most beautiful works (and likely in your range) is the Alto Rhapsody (Op.53) by Johannes Brahms. There have been a number of good recordings, but I'm most partial to Janet Baker w/ Adrian Boult (1970).

Although Brahms is certainly well-known, for some reason the Alto Rhapsody is a sadly neglected work (given it's quality).

Bill

• Like 1

Background: I am Gen-X who likes all music except country (and even then, I like some old school stuff like Patsy Cline, Dolly, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette). I primarily listen to EDM/house/chill, rap/hip hop, alternative, and jazz. I am married to French-Canadian, so I probably have above-average Canadian music knowledge.

Heard the name, but would have to hear the songs to know it. No idea if Canadian.

Definitely know the artist, the music, and that the artist is Canadian.

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns

No knowledge of the artist, the music, or whether the artist is Canadian.

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car

- Rush, 

Heard the name, but would have to hear the songs to know it. No idea if Canadian.

Know the artist and the music. No idea if Canadian.

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip

- Jan Arden

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money)

- Joni Mitchell

- The Guess Who

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist

No knowledge of the artist, the music, or whether the artist is Canadian

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wintermom said:

❤Harry Chapin❤ I grew up listening to him because my late sister was a huge fan and we shared a room.  She had tickets for his concert when he passed away.  So sad!  Iirc, he very involved with feeding the hungry.

His brother Tom Chapin has a bunch of CDs of "family" music that are great!  My brother picked a Tom Chapin song to sing at our wedding!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Background: I am Gen-X who likes all music except country (and even then, I like some old school stuff like Patsy Cline, Dolly, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette). I primarily listen to EDM/house/chill, rap/hip hop, alternative, and jazz. I am married to French-Canadian, so I probably have above-average Canadian music knowledge.

- Rush, 

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip

- Jan Arden

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money)

- Joni Mitchell

- The Guess Who

No knowledge of the artist, the music, or whether the artist is Canadian

Well, you actually only got Celine Dion correct, and you didn't expand on the fact that she was a star in French-language in Quebec before English. I'm guessing your dh shares none of his Canadian music experience with you. 😉  Just kiddin!  Who can say which music grabs you and which doesn't, and what you remember about the artists.  I probably wouldn't know many of the artists on your 'collection' of oldies but goodies. 

@Spy Car was mentioning more Australian artists, and I just read that Gordon Lightfoot wrote songs that other artists recorded, one Australian was on the list, a favourite of my mom's and mine: Roger Whitaker. I enjoyed his crazy-good whistling as well as his voice. 😄

Other artists on the list of having recorded a Gordon Lightfoot song include: Elvis, Harry Belafonte, Eric Clapton, Mellencamp, Johnny Cash, Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Johnny Mathis, and Judy Collins. Quite the resume for Gordon!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Well, you actually only got Celine Dion correct, and you didn't expand on the fact that she was a star in French-language in Quebec before English. I'm guessing your dh shares none of his Canadian music experience with you. 😉  Just kiddin!  Who can say which music grabs you and which doesn't, and what you remember about the artists.  I probably wouldn't know many of the artists on your 'collection' of oldies but goodies. 

My husband doesn't listen to any Canadian music in particular (any French-Canadian music especially). I make fun of him because he is six years younger than me and listens to what I call (no offense to anyone here) "old man music" (60s-70s American classic rock). I am the one in the family that listens to contemporary music and knows what is "hip," whereas I always joke with him that he is stuck in the past. So, I suppose that you're right; he hasn't really given me much in the way of a proper Canadian music education. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Spy Car was mentioning more Australian artists, and I just read that Gordon Lightfoot wrote songs that other artists recorded, one Australian was on the list, a favourite of my mom's and mine: Roger Whitaker. I enjoyed his crazy-good whistling as well as his voice. 😄

Other artists on the list of having recorded a Gordon Lightfoot song include: Elvis, Harry Belafonte, Eric Clapton, Mellencamp, Johnny Cash, Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Johnny Mathis, and Judy Collins. Quite the resume for Gordon!

OK, one more singer-songwriter and song to include: Eric Bogle (who was born in Scotland but emigrated to Australia in his mid-20s) and his Australian-themed anti-war song And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda about the disaster faced by Australian troops (and NZ) at Gallipoli in WWI. I can't hear this song without weeping--literally. I imaging it's even more gut wrenching for Antipodeans.

Bill

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

OK, one more singer-songwriter and song to include: Eric Bogle (who was born in Scotland but emigrated to Australia in his mid-20s) and his Australian-themed anti-war song And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda about the disaster faced by Australian troops (and NZ) at Gallipoli in WWI. I can't hear this song without weeping--literally. I imaging it's even more gut wrenching for Antipodeans.

Bill

I'll have to listen to this. Chris De Burgh has a couple war-themed songs that are very powerful; Borderline, then what could well be the follow-up, Say Goodbye to it all. I'll have to research the possible link between these two.

But I especially love his 'controversial' songs: Spanish Train, A Spaceman Came Travelling (both with religious themes explored in very different ways), and Patricia the Stripper (you guessed it, about a stripper named Patricia. It is addictive for some odd reason. Must be his sense of humour with this theme).

Edited by wintermom

4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

My husband doesn't listen to any Canadian music in particular (any French-Canadian music especially). I make fun of him because he is six years younger than me and listens to what I call (no offense to anyone here) "old man music" (60s-70s American classic rock). I am the one in the family that listens to contemporary music and knows what is "hip," whereas I always joke with him that he is stuck in the past. So, I suppose that you're right; he hasn't really given me much in the way of a proper Canadian music education. 🙂

I love 60's-70's music - Classic Rock, Protest Rock, etc.  Then love Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, The Who era of Classic Rock (some overlap with 60/70's but some getting into 80s).

Newer stuff I really like Adult Alternative - Imagine Dragons, Panic at the Disco, Coldplay, 21 Pilots, Fall Out Boy. 

My playlists often are an insane mix.  

• Like 1

Cut and paste the list below and add in: a) have you heard of this artist, b) where do you think they are from, and c) when/how did you learn this. P.S. (They are not all from Canada.)

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny  **Loved his music!  Yes, knew he was Canadian.

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69 ** Loved his music, too.  Did not know

- Rush, -e

Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling  ** Know, but don't know where he's from

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah  **Know.  Thought he was American

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme  **Well known.  Unsure

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)  ** Know,   Unsure

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life  **listened to a lot!  Unknown, but not Canadian?

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars  ** have heard the name, but not familiar

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip, 

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger  ** Know.  Irish?

- Jan Arden

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night   **Big hit here.  Unknown

- Huey Lewis and the News  **Well known.  Unsure

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner  **well known. American

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles  **well known.  Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.  American

- Joni Mitchell, ** well known  English?

- The Guess Who  **My first album haha.  American

I guess I don't often think about where the artist is from.  You forgot Anne Murray from Canada.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tina said:

So, wintermom, are you going to tell us where they're all from??

Since your asked...  And I'm avoiding my stats assignments... 😉

21 hours ago, Tina said:

Cut and paste the list below and add in: a) have you heard of this artist, b) where do you think they are from, and c) when/how did you learn this. P.S. (They are not all from Canada.)

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny  **Loved his music!  Yes, knew he was Canadian. YES!

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69 ** Loved his music, too.  Did not know  Canadian

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns  Canadian

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car  Canadian

- Rush, -e  Canadian

Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling  ** Know, but don't know where he's from  Irish

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah  **Know.  Thought he was American  Canadian

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme  **Well known.  Unsure  Canadian

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)  ** Know,   Unsure  Canadian

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life  **listened to a lot!  Unknown, but not Canadian?  British

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work  Canadian

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars  ** have heard the name, but not familiar  Canadian

- Chilliwack  Canadian

- Tragically Hip,   Canadian

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger  ** Know.  Irish?  Canadian

- Jan Arden  Canadian

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night   **Big hit here.  Unknown  Scottish

- Huey Lewis and the News  **Well known.  Unsure  American

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money)  Canadian

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner  **well known. American  Canadian

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles  **well known.  Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.  American  Canadian

- Joni Mitchell, ** well known  English?  Canadian

- The Guess Who  **My first album haha.  American  Canadian

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist  Canadian

I guess I don't often think about where the artist is from.  You forgot Anne Murray from Canada.  🙂

Ok, so you didn't so so well on the places of origin, but you provided some excellent info for my poll! Don't worry, I would have completely bombed on this when I was growing up. Hopefully you've had some fun and maybe you want to take a tour through some pretty decent Canadian artists from the list. Let me know what kind of music you like and I can make a recommendation. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Since your asked...  And I'm avoiding my stats assignments... 😉

Ok, so you didn't so so well on the places of origin, but you provided some excellent info for my poll! Don't worry, I would have completely bombed on this when I was growing up. Hopefully you've had some fun and maybe you want to take a tour through some pretty decent Canadian artists from the list. Let me know what kind of music you like and I can make a recommendation. 

I've always been a music person.  Any country or christian artists from Canada I might also know?

2 hours ago, Tina said:

I've always been a music person.  Any country or christian artists from Canada I might also know?

Country artists: Shania Twain, Tommy Hunter (he had a TV show in Canada, but I don't know if he was well known in the US)

Christian: Matt Maher, Brian Doerkson, Downhere

You can do a quick google search, if you're curious. These are only a few. I'm not a big country listener, so I don't know who is really popular now.

Edited by wintermom

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

Country artists: Shania Twain, Tommy Hunter (he had a TV show in Canada, but I don't know if he was well known in the US)

Christian: Matt Maher, Brian Doerkson, Downhere

You can do a quick google search, if you're curious. These are only a few. I'm not a big country listener, so I don't know who is really popular now.

I know three!  Thanks for this thread.  Music is so good for the soul.  My favorite pick me up CD is Lifer by Mercy Me.

.  Christian.  So upbeat and uplifting when I'm down.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny YES  CANADA

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69 - YES  CANADA

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns -NO

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car NO

- Rush, YES  SORT OF. USA??

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling NO. ENGLAND??

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah YES.  CANADA??

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme YES.  CANADA??

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats) YES.  USA?

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life YES.  USA?

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work NO. CANAD?

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars YES.  USA?

- Chilliwack NO. AUSTRALIA??

- Tragically Hip, NO. ENGLAND? 

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger YES.  USA??

- Jan Arden NO. CANADA?

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night YES.  USA?

- Huey Lewis and the News YES. USA?

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money) NO. CANADA

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner YES. USA?

- Neil Young, He's the last guy in Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young YES. TOTALLY! CANADIAN FOR SURE

- Joni Mitchell, YES. TOTALLY! Almost positive she’s Canadian. Wait, doesn’t she have a song about her hometown?🎵 Ohh, Canadaaaaa! 🎶

- The Guess Who YES.  THEY’RE AMERICAN, right?

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist NO. CANADA??

15/24

You've given me lots of new music to look into! Thanks!

• Like 1

• wintermom changed the title to Calling music lovers: A music poll - update with song titles ANSWERS

Bumping as I provided answers for those who are interested.

Thank you all for participating! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did reading your responses. 

It's so funny how hearing people on the radio makes us assume that they are local - at least back when I was growing up it seemed that way and it actually was more localized. I think the world is probably a lot more globally connected and my dc may be more aware of where the people they see and hear are based.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1