Menu

Calling music lovers: A music poll - update with song titles ANSWERS

wintermom

Growing up in Canada, where our radio stations have rules about including a % of "Canadian content" mixed in with everything else, I just assumed  that "everyone" knew the bands I knew growing up. Some I knew were Canadian and some I didn't. Some bands I thought were Canadian and many weren't. 😉  I made some pretty funny guesses over the years, such as Dire Straits being from Australia. Sorry Mark, but at least I knew you weren't American. 

After driving 16+ hours this weekend to and from a funeral, listening to all the great music I grew up with, I have a poll for my international friends on this board.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS.  Feel free to post your favourite bands and artists, Canadian or otherwise. 

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny  CANADA

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69  CANADA

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns  CANADA

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car  CANADA

- Rush, CANADA

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling BORN IN ARGENTINE, MUSIC CAREER STARTED IN IRELAND

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah  CANADA

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme  CANADA

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)  CANADA

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life  BRITISH

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work  CANADA

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars  CANADA

- Chilliwack  CANADA

- Tragically Hip, CANADA

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger  CANADA

- Jan Arden  CANADA

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night  SCOTTISH

- Huey Lewis and the News  AMERICAN

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money) Glass Tiger is from CANADA, but I made a mistake about the song St. Elmo's Fire. It was written and sung by a British artist, produced by CANADIAN David Foster

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner  CANADA

- Neil Young, He's the last guy in Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young  CANADA  

- Joni Mitchell, CANADA

- The Guess Who  CANADA

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist  CANADA (born in England, but education and very popular in Canada)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

• wintermom changed the title to Calling music lovers: A music poll

I’ve only heard of 15/24 on your list, and haven’t actually heard the music of most of those—just the names. AFAIK the rest are artists popular when I was in middle school, except Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLaughlin and the Tragically Hip. Maybe Celine? Idk. Never listened to her. None are my style(s) of music at all. It’s an eclectic list! 

Idk why I’ve heard of some of them. I haven’t listened to the radio since middle school and I discovered punk. 🙂 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Cut and paste the list below and add in: a) have you heard of this artist, b) where do you think they are from, and c) when/how did you learn this. P.S. (They are not all from Canada.)

- Gordon Lightfoot - Yes, listened to him growing up.  Canada.  Read it somewhere.

- Bryan Adams - Heard of him, but don't know where he's from.   My SIL loves him.  

- Kim Mitchell

- Trooper

- Rush - Yes, Canada.  Friends listened in high school.

- Chris De Burgh

- Leonard Cohen

- Celine Dion - I can't remember what she sings, but I liked it.  Canada.  Read it somewhere.

- Tom Cochrane - Heard the name.  No idea.

- Dire Straits - Yes, listened growing up.  British.  Read it.

- Doug and the Slugs

- Barenaked Ladies - Heard the name, but no idea where they are from.

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip

- Sarah McLaughlin

- Jan Arden

- Bay City Rollers - Listened in middle school.  Scotland.  Probably learned it from my friends who read Teen Beat magazine.  My friends sewed plaid fabric to the bottoms of their pants, but I thought it looked weird.

- Huey Lewis and the News - US. Listened in college.  I'm so sad he can't sing anymore.  It's my happy music.

- Glass Tiger

- Michael Buble - Heard him, very nice singer.  I assume from US or Canada?

- Neil Young - Listened growing up.  US, I think.  Maybe Canada?

- Joni Mitchell - I know she's a singer, and I probably listened while growing up, but I don't remember.  Probably US or Canada.

- The Guess Who - American Woman, of course.  I'm guessing Canada, but maybe US.

- Leona Boyd

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Oh my! Maybe my list is too long or too unknown.  

Does anyone have any bands or artists that you grew up loving and no one else (outside your social/family circle) has heard of them?

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen.  My brother listened, so I did, too.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Oh my! Maybe my list is too long or too unknown.  

Does anyone have any bands or artists that you grew up loving and no one else (outside your social/family circle) has heard of them?

Not growing up but from my early 20s -- Bruce Cockburn.

I know most of those names on the list. I know where some of them are from but not all.   

• Like 1

I am going to put an 🙂 by those I’ve heard of, but won’t give guesses on where they’re from, because I’m terrible about paying attention to that stuff.

-Gordon Lightfoot 🙂 ...I think. Did he sing “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”?

- Bryan Adams 🙂 

- Kim Mitchell

- Trooper

- Rush 🙂 

- Chris De Burgh

- Leonard Cohen 🙂 

- Celine Dion 🙂 (she is Canadian, right?)

- Tom Cochrane

- Dire Straits 🙂 

- Doug and the Slugs

- Barenaked Ladies 🙂 (listened to them quite a bit)

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip 🙂 

- Sarah McLaughlin 🙂 (also listened to her a lot)

- Jan Arden

- Bay City Rollers

- Huey Lewis and the News 🙂 

- Glass Tiger

- Michael Buble 🙂 

- Neil Young 🙂 

- Joni Mitchell 🙂 

- The Guess Who

- Leona Boyd

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1

Growing up in Canada, where our radio stations have rules about including a % of "Canadian content" mixed in with everything else, I just assumed  that "everyone" knew the bands I knew growing up. Some I knew were Canadian and some I didn't. Some bands I thought were Canadian and many weren't. 😉  I made some pretty funny guesses over the years, such as Dire Straits being from Australia. Sorry Mark, but at least I knew you weren't American. 

After driving 16+ hours this weekend to and from a funeral, listening to all the great music I grew up with, I have a poll for my international friends on this board.

Cut and paste the list below and add in: a) have you heard of this artist, b) where do you think they are from, and c) when/how did you learn this. P.S. (They are not all from Canada.)

- Gordon Lightfoot Yes/US?/?

- Bryan Adams yes/Canada/?

- Kim Mitchell no

- Trooper no

- Rush YES!/Canada/magazine articles

- Chris De Burgh no?

- Leonard Cohen yes/us?

- Celine Dion yes/Canada/?

- Tom Cochrane no

- Dire Straits yes/I would've said Australia too

- Doug and the Slugs no

- Barenaked Ladies yes/?

- Chilliwack no

- Tragically Hip no

- Sarah McLaughlin yes/Canada?

- Jan Arden no

- Bay City Rollers yes/ Scotland?/tartans?

- Huey Lewis and the News yes/US/?

- Glass Tiger no

- Michael Buble yes/Canada/interview?

- Neil Young yes/US/?

- Joni Mitchell yes/?

- The Guess Who yes/?

- Leona Boyd no

Fun!

Eta: answers in quote

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

- Gordon Lightfoot - Heard of, did not know country of origin

- Bryan Adams - Heard of, listened to, can name multiple songs, did know country of origin

- Kim Mitchell - Don't recognize the name

- Trooper - Don't recognize the name

- Rush -Heard of, listened to, can name multiple songs, did know country of origin, just ordered masks with Rush album covers for DH

- Chris De Burgh - Isn't he a one hit wonder? 

- Leonard Cohen - Don't recognize the name

- Celine Dion - Heard of, listened to, can name multiple songs, knew country of origin

- Tom Cochrane - Heard of, can name one song, did not know country of origin, song is on my convertible driving music playlist

- Dire Straits - Heard of, can name multiple songs, knew country of origin

- Doug and the Slugs- Don't recognize the name

- Barenaked Ladies - Heard of, listened to, can name multiple songs, also on my play list

- Chilliwack - Don't recognize the name

- Tragically Hip - Don't recognize the name

- Sarah McLaughlin - Heard of, listened to on the radio, did know country of origin

- Jan Arden -Don't recognize the name

- Bay City Rollers - Heard of, listened to because of DH

- Huey Lewis and the News - Heard of, listened to, played their music in high school marching band, knew country of origin

- Glass Tiger - Heard of, listened to, love, love, love one song, it's on my playlist, did not know country of origin

- Michael Buble - Heard of, can name a couple of songs, knew country of origin

- Neil Young - Heard of, Can name a couple of songs, Did not know country of origin

- Joni Mitchell - Don't recognize the name

- The Guess Who - Oh yeah; Definitely know and can name songs (thanks, DH); did not know country of origin

- Leona Boyd - Don't recognize the name

I recognized and can name and sing songs from 15. I thought I would know more. I wonder, though, if I heard some of their music if I would recognize it. Although now I have a Glass Tiger earworm.

• wintermom changed the title to Calling music lovers: A music poll - update with song titles

- Gordon Lightfoot

- Bryan Adams -- British?

- Kim Mitchell

- Trooper

- Rush -- heard of, but know know any music

- Chris De Burgh -- Is he the one who wrote Lady in Red?

- Leonard Cohen -- I only know about Hallelujah. Maybe Canadian?

- Celine Dion  -- pretty sure she's Canadian

- Tom Cochrane

- Dire Straits -- heard of, but wouldn't know any of their music

- Doug and the Slugs

- Barenaked Ladies -- heard of, but wouldn't know any of their music

- Chilliwack

- Tragically Hip

- Sarah McLaughlin -- heard of, but wouldn't know any of her music

- Jan Arden

- Bay City Rollers -- I feel like I've heard of them, but not sure

- Huey Lewis and the News -- Footloose!

- Glass Tiger

- Michael Buble -- I wouldn't know any of his music, either.  I think he's Canadian

- Neil Young -- I probably know some of his music, but I don't know that it's his.

- Joni Mitchell -- I probably know some of her music, but I don't know that it's hers.

- The Guess Who -- I feel like I've heard of them, but not sure

- Leona Boyd

You forgot Justin Bieber! 😉 Edited to add that he's Canadian.

Edited by Junie

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I never listened to him growing up. 😉 You didn't say where he's from. Maybe this is well known?

Justin Bieber is Canadian.  (I went back to add that to my post.) I didn't listen to him growing up, either.  I'm probably old enough to be his mom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I’ve only heard of 15/24 on your list, and haven’t actually heard the music of most of those—just the names. AFAIK the rest are artists popular when I was in middle school, except Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLaughlin and the Tragically Hip. Maybe Celine? Idk. Never listened to her. None are my style(s) of music at all. It’s an eclectic list! 

Idk why I’ve heard of some of them. I haven’t listened to the radio since middle school and I discovered punk. 🙂 

Yes, it's a combo of myself and my dh, and a few I threw in for fun. 

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've never even heard of most of them - but my idea of music isn't played by bands.

Chilliwack I would assume was from Chilliwack.    I've driven through it.

There's a classical guitarist thrown in there.  There are lots of solo artists on the list.  

What music did you grow up listening to that might be known throughout the world?

Edited by wintermom

I forgot to mention where I had heard of any of these.  The simple answer: public school.

My dad was a musician in the 60s and early 70s (before I was born).  He played keyboard at the house growing up, mostly music from the 50s and 60s.  In the mid 80s my parents converted to Christianity and we stopped listening to non-sacred music.  But, since I went to a public school, I learned about the music (but not necessarily the music itself.)

Edited by Junie

- Bryan Adams,  Canadian, one of my favorites

- Chris De Burgh, UK

- Celine Dion, Canadian, one of my husband’s favorites

- Sarah McLaughlin, Canadian, one of my husband’s favorites

- Michael Bublé, Canadian, one of my favorites

Annie Villeneuve and Nikki Yanofsky because of the bilingual official song of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, I Believe/J'imagine.

I’ve heard of/know the songs of 22/24 of them.....I think many of them are Canadian, but not certain without looking them up. I haven’t heard of Chilliwack, but would guess they are named after Chilliwack, BC, or Tragically Hip. I heard these songs growing up either on the radio or through friends. I grew up in a US state that borders Canada. 

28 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Love Cheap Trick too!  My question came from: One day I realized that maybe they got so much play here because they were local. (Grew up 90? miles away from Rockford)

Good question. I think they are/were pretty popular nationwide.

Fun fact: Back when I was in college, the parents of my roommate's boyfriend bought Rick Nielsen's house (in Rockford) and became friends with him. He used to come over to their place for dinner.🙂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

I’ve heard of/know the songs of 22/24 of them.....I think many of them are Canadian, but not certain without looking them up. I haven’t heard of Chilliwack, but would guess they are named after Chilliwack, BC, or Tragically Hip. I heard these songs growing up either on the radio or through friends. I grew up in a US state that borders Canada. 

Tragically Hip was very local to Kingston, Ontario for quite a while. It later become more knows throughout Canada.

2 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Canadian here so it's probably cheating if I answer. 😉

Heard of and listened to all of them!  Was a teenager during the 80s. 🙂

Go ahead! You can add in some of your own favourites, too. 😄 I know that I've forgotten a bunch of groups.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny  Canadian,  "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - that event just had its 45th anniversary on November 10

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69  Canadian,  I had a wicked crush on him as a teen 😉

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns  Canadian

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car  Canadian

- Rush, Canadian, iconic Canadian rock band, one of the only rock bands I know of to record a song in 5/4 time

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling  I know he's not American but wasn't sure if he was a Brit or Canadian (just looked it up - he's Irish!)

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah  Canadian, another Canadian legend

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme  Canadian   I recognize her talent but she was never a favourite of mine

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)  Canadian    Now that song is stuck in my head 😉  

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life  Brit

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work  Brit?  (Dang!  Canadian)

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars  Canadian

- Chilliwack  Canadian

- Tragically Hip,  Canadian   The Hip!  RIP Gord Downie

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger  Canadian    Isn't it "In the Arms of the Angel"?

- Jan Arden  Canadian

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night  Aussie, aren't they?  (Dang - Scots)

- Huey Lewis and the News  American

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money)  Canadian

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner  Canadian    Listening to his Christmas stuff right now. 🙂

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles  born Canadian but did a lot of stuff out of the States (the Eagles were American, right?)

- Joni Mitchell,  Canadian, a beautiful Canadian gem of a singer-songwriter 🙂

- The Guess Who  Canadian    From Winnipeg!

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist  Admitting... I don't know   If she's Canadian, then I'll have to be pelted with poutine for not knowing that...  (She was born a Brit and moved to Canada when she was 8.  Hmmm...  Yeah - I probably still deserve to be pelted with poutine. ;))

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Great Big Sea!  I LOVE Great Big Sea!

Me too! Love. From Newfoundland. 

And Sarah Harmer. From Kingston, I think.

And Blue Rodeo. Our unofficial wedding song was Lost Together. 🙂 26 years of marriage and it still fits! 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

I am familiar with the name & music of 13/24 for sure.  I've been to concerts of 3 of them (and I have been to very few concerts in my life).  Some others, I might need my memory jogged by actually hearing the tunes.  I am extremely bad with names.

I know for sure that some of them are Canadian, but others I'm not sure.  That's not something I paid much attention to growing up.

For me, different English accents are a lot less obvious when people sing.  So there have been times when I was surprised a singer was from another country - especially when I was young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

There's a classical guitarist thrown in there.  There are lots of solo artists on the list.  

What music did you grow up listening to that might be known throughout the world?

Me - I preferred classical music.  Like Mozart, and Bach.    My idea of a classical guitarist is John Williams.  (the guitarist, not the composer.)

I really wasn't much into the music thing.

I had a friend who was VERY into the Beatles. - and John and Paul after they went their separate ways.   (and Barry Manilow)

general 70s pop that was on the radio.  Most artist names I don't remember,  I'd be better with song titles.  

Don Mclean (American Pie, people who don't know his name, will know that song. Vincent.),

Captain and Tennille. 

David Gates/Bread,

Carpenters (such a tragedy. Karen Carpenter had an incredible voice.  She thought John Lennon was just being nice when he told her she had a nice voice.),

Simon and Garfunkel, 

Elton John (when his costumes were ott.) ,

Heart

Some Motown (the record label.).   

When the local radio station that I listened to for pop changed hands in the 80s, I only listened to classical.

I was also forced to listen to my brother's heavy metal - the whole neighborhood was forced to listen to my brother's heavy metal collection.  (santana, led zepplin, crosby-stills-and-nash, arrowsmith,???)

Edited by gardenmom5

On music trivia - we were playing a trivia game in a large group.

One of the questions started about talking about a song that people always get the name wrong, talking about a "bridge" . . . dh shouted out "the 98th street bridge song".   More commonly known as "A bridge over trouble water."   (simon and garfunkel.)

Or - this was the favorite instrument of the title character in a movie. (most of those there hadn't even heard of the instrument, let alone the movie.) A balalaika from  Dr. Zhivago.  Apparently, there were people who were angry they focused on the romance between Lara and Zhivago - and glossed over the horrors of the Russian/communist revolution.  Boris Pasternak had to smuggle that out of the USSR page by page.  It wasn't available in Russia until after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny

Of course. Canadian. DH listed several others: Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald & Sneaking Around My Back Door. I know him because of DH. 

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69

Canadian. I knew this!

- Kim Mitchell, Patio Lanterns

Absolutely. Canadian. Go For A Soda is a favorite around here. (Not mine.)

- Trooper, Boys in the Bright, White Sports Car

Never heard of them.

- Rush, 

Canada. My roomie in college listened to them. Tom Sawyer. My kids know this band well. Knew this because Geddy Lee helped with "Take Off (To the Great White North)" which was played by my oldest brother a lot growing up.

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling

Loved Lady in Red. No idea where he's from.

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah

From Brooklyn? Don't know him. Thought you were referring to George M Cohan at first. ;)

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme

Canadian. Not a fan, but definitely know her & her music.

- Tom Cochrane, Life is a Highway (he's the original, NOT Rascal Flats)

"Lunatic Fringe." Part of Red Rider before he made it big with Life Is A Highway. Probably Canadian. This answer is all DH.

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life

Not Canadian. British. Sultan of Swing is one of my favorites & one of the only bands that both DH & I liked when we met.

- Doug and the Slugs, Too Bad, Making it work

No idea.

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars

Canadian. One Week. Brian Wilson. Very well known here.

- Chilliwack

No idea.

- Tragically Hip, 

New Orleans Is Sinking & I Don't Wanna Swim. Nitch band from early 90s. Gonna guess Canadian. All DH on this one.

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger

Canadian. Not a fan. She wrote Adia (not sure of the spelling).

- Jan Arden

No idea.

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night

Aren't they from Boston?

- Huey Lewis and the News

From Cleveland? Grew up with this band. Heart of Rock & Roll, Power of Love, Want a New Drug.

- Glass Tiger, Man in Motion (about a Canadian wheelchair athlete, Rick Hanson, travelling the world to raise awareness and money)

No idea but I know the song from my childhood.

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner

Heard of him. Canadian. Not a fan.

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles

DH says he's a sell-out. Canadian? "House on the Hill" might have been a solo song. Did a lot with groups back in the day. The Young in Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

- Joni Mitchell, 

Probably Canadian. Wrote a song called Woodstock but didn't actually go there. Not a fan of her ideology 

- The Guess Who

Sang American Woman so probably Canadian. Definitely not American.

- Leona Boyd, classical guitarist

No idea

DH provided many of the answers as he's the music man, but I added my input because if even I've heard of them, they can't be too unknown.

Edited by RootAnn
Added holding & when DH answered the question
  • Haha 1

Here's a few additional famous Canadian music artists:

- Paul Anka - "Diana" was his big hit - Crooner from the 50s, from Ottawa. Diana was his babysitter growing up.

- Oscar Peterson - famous jazz pianist from the 50s from Montreal 

- D. D. Jackson - famous jazz pianist now in NYC, from Ottawa (My dh went to school with him)

- Anne Murray - singer from Nova Scotia, very popular in the 70s, big hit was "You Needed Me"

- The Rankin Family - celtic/country music, from Nova Scotia

- The Irish Rovers - originally from Ireland, became very popular in Canada, Had their own TV show for years. I think they later changed their name to "The Rovers"

- k. d. lang -  singer from Alberta, did a wonderful version of "Crying" with Roy Orbison

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

These are the ones I've heard of, and the ones I knew were Canadian are in red. Lightfoot, Young, Mitchell, and Cohen were among my top 10-15 favorite musicians when I was a teen. I don't get the reference to Young and the Eagles, though — I knew of him with Buffalo Springfield, Crazy Horse, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and as a solo artist, but I don't know of any connection to the Eagles. 

- Gordon Lightfoot, If you could read my mind, Cotton Jenny

- Bryan Adams, Summer of '69

- Rush, 

- Chris De Burgh, Lady in Red, A Spaceman Came Travelling

- Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah

- Celine Dion - Titanic theme

- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life

- Barenaked Ladies, If I had a million dollars

- Sarah McLaughlin, In the arms of a stranger

- Bay City Rollers, Saturday Night

- Huey Lewis and the News

- Michael Buble, jazz, crooner

- Neil Young, stuff with Eagles

- Joni Mitchell, 

Edited by Corraleno

I've heard of 15 from the original post and 3 from the second post, either the name or the song. I'm very bad at matching the names of musicians to their actual music, and I mostly don't give a thought to where they are from. I mean, everybody knows that Celine Dione is Canadian, and I bought so many Tiger Beat magazines that it was impossible not to know that the Bay City Rollers were from Scotland, but I mostly never thought about it one way or the other. 

Very interesting about requiring a percentage of Canadian content. 

• Like 1

It's kind of a long list 😄, but I'll give it a shot.  I didn't grow up purposely listening to music, but of course it played at all the dances, parties, gatherings I went to, so I did hear it a lot, I just didn't pay a lot of attention to the names of groups, etc.

- Gordon Lightfoot  - Yes!

- Bryan Adams - This name wasn't familiar, but when I googled a couple songs of his I definitely recognized them.  

- Kim Mitchell - No

- Trooper - No

- Rush - No

- Chris De Burgh - Didn't recognize the name, but definitely know his music 

- Leonard Cohen - No

- Celine Dion - Yes

- Tom Cochrane - No

- Dire Straits - Yes 

- Doug and the Slugs - No

- Barenaked Ladies - No 

- Chilliwack - No

- Tragically Hip - No

- Sarah McLaughlin - No

- Jan Arden - No

- Bay City Rollers - Didn't recognize the name, but recognized some of the songs when I played them

- Huey Lewis and the News - No

- Glass Tiger - No

- Michael Buble - YES!!

- Neil Young - Yes

- Joni Mitchell - Absolutely!

- The Guess Who - No

- Leona Boyd - No

I didn't know any of them were from Canada, but I guess I didn't assume they were all from the USA either.  Didn't really think about it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Junie said:

- Huey Lewis and the News -- Footloose!

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Oh, then I've definitely heard of them!  Just didn't know the group name.  🙂  (Loved that movie and song!)

Footloose was Kenny Loggins.

Huey Lewis = Heart of Rock & Roll, This is it, Power of Love

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1