Menu

Hospitals capacity and Covid

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Well when they send out a plea for help needing volunteers and my household cheers bc it’s some thing that should be Covid friendly to help with and sign up and hear absolutely nothing back and send info again via different means thinking maybe they missed it in previous source - and still nothing back - yeah. I feel a bit excluded because it’s happened roughly 4-5 times and never happened before Covid/elections.

But I’m working hard to set aside those feelings and instead find alternate reasons to give grace. Maybe everyone is suddenly incompetent at basic communication. Wonder if that’s another sad side effect of lingering Covid? 🤷‍♀️ I’ll pray for their recovery. 🙏

I think it could be they are overwhelmed with people wanting to volunteer so they just aren't getting back to people, first come, first working?  I know there is much stuff we would normally be doing this season, but not this year. Our local Thanksgiving Food Drive, which we've always helped with, has signups so only a limited number of people, all supposedly masked, can help at one time.  Pick up will be drive thru this year.  

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is secretly official (I think the info will go public this morning) That hospitals in my state are full and will no longer take transfer patients of any kind from the rural/small town hospitals- no

In the ICU where I work 75% of the beds are now taken by Covid patients. We are all exhausted already and I think it is going to get worse. Our governor refuses to make any mandates and says it is up

It is horrendous! I’ve seen a patient write a note to his wife on a whiteboard before he got intubated saying he loved her. She was outside his window looking in. His nurse took a picture of it just i

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Lecka said:

This info is changing rapidly in my area.  People would have been admitted a month ago might not be admitted now.  

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/local-hospitals-offer-covid-19-care-criteria-after-mayor-says-respiratory-system-must-be-in/article_e67a1fca-2520-11eb-93b0-7fc2b6971cf0.html  

I live a 2-hour drive from Tulsa so am just reading this in the paper — but anecdotally I have heard similar.  

I don’t think we have, right now, what Chris Christie had when he was able to be admitted to a hospital to be on the safe side.  

Interesting. My father was admitted to the hospital yesterday and he does not meet these criteria. He's in Portland, OR. Supposedly the hospitals are not overrun in Oregon yet. My father was admitted because he was severely dehydrated and very weak. He fainted at home and was taken to the ER. His doctor told my mother that they are going to keep him in the hospital for a few days with the hope that he'll regain his strength. He has not had any respiratory symptoms. 

I'm glad my parents are in Oregon now instead of Oklahoma. They moved from OK to OR about 7 years ago. 

To show how messed up the tracking is - my mother received a call today from a county health nurse to let her know that she might have been exposed to COVID. This was triggered by my father's admission to the hospital for COVID complications. My mother had a positive COVID test almost a week ago. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 7
Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

To show how messed up the tracking is - my mother received a call today from a county health nurse to let her know that she might have been exposed to COVID. This was triggered by my father's admission to the hospital for COVID complications. My mother had a positive COVID test almost a week ago. 

A national contact-tracing set up would have really made a TON of sense. They obviously should have used the local health departments to run it, but there should have been a joint application and data set, as well as joint guidelines on how to run this. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
54 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Interesting. My father was admitted to the hospital yesterday and he does not meet these criteria. He's in Portland, OR. Supposedly the hospitals are not overrun in Oregon yet. My father was admitted because he was severely dehydrated and very weak. He fainted at home and was taken to the ER. His doctor told my mother that they are going to keep him in the hospital for a few days with the hope that he'll regain his strength. He has not had any respiratory symptoms. 

I'm glad my parents are in Oregon now instead of Oklahoma. They moved from OK to OR about 7 years ago. 

There is generally lots of room for physician discretion when making admission decisions.  Sounds like your dad might not have met C-19 specific criteria, but likely did meet admission criteria for dehydration or syncope - which of course are a consequence of his C-19 infection.   The ED MD's bottom-line question to self is always "can I safely discharge this patient?", criteria be darned.  If the answer is no, for any reason - social, general frailty, gestalt of "sick" - then admit.  Unfortunately, as hospitals get overwhelmed, there will be less room for discretion, and the working definition of "safely" will shift.  Borderline cases where no specific criteria are met, but MD spidey-sense is tingling ("clinical gestalt"), and who would have have been discretionary admits  during normal times,  will get sent home.  And we know that a high proportion of those patients will declare themselves clinically and bounce back to the ED, and some will get very sick indeed before that happens, and some will die who might have lived.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Interesting. Cite, if you don't mind? I haven't looked at the data carefully myself. 

You're asking the right questions 🙂 I thought I'd seen it in the Lancet's reporting of the Phase 1/2 results. However, it looks like I misread or misinterpreted something, because I'm no longer finding exact numbers. However, the person who got diagnosed with haemolytic anaemia is specifically mentioned,

Apologies in advance for the complicated answer: "Severe" and "hospitalisation" aren't always the same in this context. The definitions of any health indicator being "severe" are given in Appendix E of Supplement 2 of the results information (PDF). If someone was logged, at any point, with a health indicator in "severe", it would be classed as such in the notes, regardless of where it was recorded. If someone was hospitalised and didn't get such a note (because it never got as high as the "severe" ratings, or they were hospitalised for something Appendix E didn't consider), then it's not classed as "severe" (though it would be classed as "hospitalised"). Medical events not in that list are classed as severe if ir results in "marked limitation in activity, some assistance usually required; medical intervention required". However, some people can end up in hospital for things that don't turn out to be severe. This is how only 1 person was hospitalised with anything severe.

(I will emphasise that nobody met the "severe" criteria for COVID-19, nor was anyone hospitalised for COVID-19. What I discuss here is of interest from a potential vaccine safety perspective).

There's also nothing noting whether any of the hospitalisations (severe or otherwise) are likely to be the result of the vaccine. The good news is that we should get lots more information soon; Phase III's results are being peer-reviewed as I type, and when that comes through, it will almost certainly contain answers to those sorts of questions.

(Also, for people wanting the most important information about the vaccine's latest developments in plain English, here's the BBC's interpretation).

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28327Q?__twitter_impression=true

according to Reuters the half dose section of the trial was a dosing error.  So if it does prove more effective it may be just a case of sheer luck that they stumbled on it.  

I was wondering why such an unusually small number of people in the trial were on that option! We need some luck in this pandemic and I'm thankful there has been some here.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

(I will emphasise that nobody met the "severe" criteria for COVID-19, nor was anyone hospitalised for COVID-19. What I discuss here is of interest from a potential vaccine safety perspective).

Do we know that? I know that Pfizer specifically reported 10 cases of "severe" COVID, whatever that means. Or are we talking about different trials? (Is it possible that's the number 10 you were remembering and you interpreted it to be 10 hospitalizations? I've definitely done that kind of thing before.) 

I would really love to see their actual data, sigh. I don't like the "science by press release" model. 

• Like 1

I was wondering why such an unusually small number of people in the trial were on that option! We need some luck in this pandemic and I'm thankful there has been some here.

How many people were on that option? (Sorry, this is me being lazy. I could check myself, but I'm hoping you know.) 

This is the state of things in Portland, @Ordinary Shoeshttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.koin.com/news/health/coronavirus/providence-in-portland-setting-up-surge-tents-temporary-morgues/amp/

OHSU system hospitals have canceled optional procedures. Providence says they haven’t yet, but are watching bedcounts closely. 

This was a few days ago—it’s trending worse but I can’t find today’s bed count numbers: https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2020/11/17/oregon-hospitals-are-nearly-full-already-and-covid-is-getting-worse/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/oregon-covid-hospitalizations/283-e9c632f4-0382-45a7-86fb-8d0689786ca4

The problem is really: 1. Limited bed count in general and 2. Staffing with qualified people. I understand some hospital systems aren’t setting up overflow because they can’t staff it to begin with.

We are back to restaurants to takeout only, gyms and bars closed, etc. because there isn’t much slack in the system and cases are out of control. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do we know that? I know that Pfizer specifically reported 10 cases of "severe" COVID, whatever that means. Or are we talking about different trials? (Is it possible that's the number 10 you were remembering and you interpreted it to be 10 hospitalizations? I've definitely done that kind of thing before.) 

I would really love to see their actual data, sigh. I don't like the "science by press release" model. 

If you've seen preliminary Phase III stuff from a source other than the BBC, possibly. Especially since the BBC is only reporting on confirmed trials in the UK and Brazil - the USA one, as well as a few others, weren't mentioned. (I only have Phase II to hand, as I'm waiting for Phase III to be peer-reviewed).

The Phase II data is linked to the Lancet link I initially gave (repeated here to spare scroll fingers), and the data it linked to is in this PDF supplement (because it's not easy to tell which of the supplements the Lancet linked to has the data, and which the methodology PDF).

There were 10 people on the non-randomised prime-full option (the term of art these scientists are apparently using for "oops, the first dose was half-strength by mistake"), versus 533 standard-dose and 534 controls.

• Thanks 1

If you've seen preliminary Phase III stuff from a source other than the BBC, possibly. Especially since the BBC is only reporting on confirmed trials in the UK and Brazil - the USA one, as well as a few others, weren't mentioned. (I only have Phase II to hand, as I'm waiting for Phase III to be peer-reviewed).

I've seen Pfizer's press release, which mentioned the severe COVID cases. Not sure if that's what you mean, but that's what I was referring to. 

There were 10 people on the non-randomised prime-full option (the term of art these scientists are apparently using for "oops, the first dose was half-strength by mistake"), versus 533 standard-dose and 534 controls.

10 people just got the dose? That doesn't sound right. You mean 10 people got sick, and 9 of them were in the placebo group? Because 10 people would be far too few to even get exposed. 

18 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My gut feel is while the Astra Zeneca vaccine results look slightly less amazing than the others they seem to be being a bit more transparent about data and the process?   Anyone else think that?

Not really in my opinion.  The official data released via press release looks pretty similar.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/azd1222hlr.html

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

I think what might vary is how journalists word their coverage.  And if a particular journalist gets a hold of some loose lipped employee that maybe releases another unconfirmed iota of data or 2.  There are privacy issues with releasing information about people on trials.  I do think more came out during AZ's trial just because more things happened during their trial.   Like there was a death during their trial.  But that info was released by Brazil's health department not by AZ.  That person was in the control group and when you have huge numbers in trials that wouldn't be unexpected.  AZ may have never announced that on their own.   The single case of TM in the vaccine arm may have leaked too.   

ETA - it looks like this info on the TM case was leaked to CNN.  

https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/details-emerge-on-unexplained-illness-in-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trial/106781

Edited by FuzzyCatz
13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My gut feel is while the Astra Zeneca vaccine results look slightly less amazing than the others they seem to be being a bit more transparent about data and the process?   Anyone else think that?

I've found a draft landscape of vaccines PDF file (unfortunately dating back to November 12, so not including developments from the last fortnight or so) featuring a lot of the phase result information links from the main candidate vaccines. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've seen Pfizer's press release, which mentioned the severe COVID cases. Not sure if that's what you mean, but that's what I was referring to. 

10 people just got the dose? That doesn't sound right. You mean 10 people got sick, and 9 of them were in the placebo group? Because 10 people would be far too few to even get exposed. 

I had not seen Pzifer's press release. Do you have a link to it, please?

No, I mean 10 people in Phase II got given a half-dose of vaccine in the first dose and a full dose of vaccine in the second - that's the accident that @Ausmumof3was referring to.

This is important, because the preliminary phase information given by the BBC implies the prime-full regime might be more effective at protecting against COVID than the originally-planned version (the BBC interpretation indicates that the prime-full is 90% effective in the preliminary Phase III, against 62% for the original two-dose version. This indicates both versions were in use in Phase III). I'm wary of confirming those numbers because journalists (and press release writers) don't have time to peer-review their news items the way scientists do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had not seen Pzifer's press release. Do you have a link to it, please?

No, I mean 10 people in Phase II got given a half-dose of vaccine in the first dose and a full dose of vaccine in the second - that's the accident that @Ausmumof3was referring to.

This is important, because the preliminary phase information given by the BBC implies the prime-full regime might be more effective at protecting against COVID than the originally-planned version (the BBC interpretation indicates that the prime-full is 90% effective in the preliminary Phase III, against 62% for the original two-dose version. This indicates both versions were in use in Phase III). I'm wary of confirming those numbers because journalists (and press release writers) don't have time to peer-review their news items the way scientists do.

Oooh, I see. That was just the safety trial. Then they did more of that in the Phase 3 trial. Am I understanding correctly now? 

6 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I hope your father recovers quickly and completely and that your mother is doing well. Your family is in my thoughts.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Not really in my opinion.  The official data released via press release looks pretty similar.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/azd1222hlr.html

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

I think what might vary is how journalists word their coverage.  And if a particular journalist gets a hold of some loose lipped employee that maybe releases another unconfirmed iota of data or 2.  There are privacy issues with releasing information about people on trials.  I do think more came out during AZ's trial just because more things happened during their trial.   Like there was a death during their trial.  But that info was released by Brazil's health department not by AZ.  That person was in the control group and when you have huge numbers in trials that wouldn't be unexpected.  AZ may have never announced that on their own.   The single case of TM in the vaccine arm may have leaked too.   

ETA - it looks like this info on the TM case was leaked to CNN.  

https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/details-emerge-on-unexplained-illness-in-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trial/106781

Yeah I wasn’t so much thinking of the TM thing.  Or at least I think what I was thinking is maybe they learned from that and that’s why they were being more transparent.  Actually I haven’t looked into Moderna as much because at this stage we aren’t likely to get it here.  It was more Pfizer that don’t seem to have released data yet but maybe I missed it.

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does the US case curve look like it’s just starting to turn the corner a tiny bit?  It might just be a feature of the weekend data but I’m really hoping so.

Maybe today. But just give us a week or two past turkey day festivities to send it upwards again (y’all, did you see the travel stats for this weekend, after the CDC explicitly recommended not traveling this season? smh...). 

Anyway, I’m restocking jigsaw puzzles and paint-by-numbers here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

(y’all, did you see the travel stats for this weekend, after the CDC explicitly recommended not traveling this season? smh...). 

I suspect many of the travelers were college students returning home (another issue).  Many (most?) colleges are shutting down campus after Thanksgiving.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I suspect many of the travelers were college students returning home (another issue).  Many (most?) colleges are shutting down campus after Thanksgiving.

True, great point. The travel stats for the coming Sunday will be telling. I think I’m personally frustrated because people we know are choosing to gather in groups and travel unnecessarily, choices which have had a direct affect on our nuclear family (sorry, it’s complicated). Either way, I do expect cases to rise and honestly not make a true downturn til mid-January at the soonest. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

True, great point. The travel stats for the coming Sunday will be telling. I think I’m personally frustrated because people we know are choosing to gather in groups and travel unnecessarily, choices which have had a direct affect on our nuclear family (sorry, it’s complicated). Either way, I do expect cases to rise and honestly not make a true downturn til mid-January at the soonest. 

I saw the airport pictures and stats from this past weekend and wanted to cry.  I stand by my statement last week that colleges should never have allowed kids back on campus, now they are traveling home and possibly contributing to spread.  I share your frustration with people choosing to gather in groups and travel.   I have also seen some news stories stating that people taking a Covid test and then traveling aren't nearly as safe as they think they are, and that they should not be traveling.    Traveling is irresponsible, period.   I also agree that case numbers are going to continue to rise for at least another 2 months.  With that more deaths are going to happen and it all just makes me fearful and sad.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I saw the airport pictures and stats from this past weekend and wanted to cry.  I stand by my statement last week that colleges should never have allowed kids back on campus, now they are traveling home and possibly contributing to spread.  I share your frustration with people choosing to gather in groups and travel.   I have also seen some news stories stating that people taking a Covid test and then traveling aren't nearly as safe as they think they are, and that they should not be traveling.    Traveling is irresponsible, period.   I also agree that case numbers are going to continue to rise for at least another 2 months.  With that more deaths are going to happen and it all just makes me fearful and sad.  

I'm hoping it is like the spring, when the airports were totally crowded due to travel restrictions, but masking etc led to less spread. Of course, there are more carriers now than before.

Emily

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ditto said:

We feel the same, but I am aggressively fighting the urge to feel fearful and sad. Today I am making my COVID Winter Bucket List. Training myself to think of it not as a season of fear, but as a season of resolve, to persevere well through to a hopeful spring. As a person of faith, asking God to help me fully grasp the lessons He has for me in this time.

On the lighter side, if I stick to my exercise plans for the next two months, my arms should look fabulous and be powerful  for spring paddling!

• Like 13
16 minutes ago, Ditto said:

My college student is home. It's been horrible; I hugged her masked (which granted I shouldn't have, but whatever) and then I haven't been near her. Middle DD had an ortho appointment last week, and we're at 25-30% positivity, so we're quarantining from her. DH had to travel to Alabama and back (we're in IL) to get her, so he is in the master bedroom away from me and younger two kids. College girl is literally living in the master closet even though she tested negative before coming home because she's been exposed to DH's germs and various bathrooms on the drive home and we can't guarantee we're safe for her. Middle DD and I tested yesterday. DH should wait a longer before testing, but he went today. Just Ugh. This is not a great family Thanksgiving week; it appears we won't get Thanksgiving until next week. Testing results are backed up, they told DH 7-10 days today even though they said 4-7 days to me yesterday. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Sad 11
13 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does the US case curve look like it’s just starting to turn the corner a tiny bit?  It might just be a feature of the weekend data but I’m really hoping so.

I would say no -- because for my state, the numbers get released with a 2-day lag, and much fewer test results are done/reported on a Sunday, so -- no.

I'm in Oklahoma.  

It's a reason to look at multi-day averages here for sure, because there are delays in reporting or completing tests for all kinds of various reasons.  Pretty recently there have even been locations that compiled and reported their testing data to the state only on certain days.  There have been things like -- a mass testing day at a prison that led to a "spike" for that county.  

I think also -- there have been a lot of people doing "preventive testing" on order to travel or visit for Thanksgiving.  But now that it's two days from Thanksgiving, a lot fewer people will be testing for that reason, I think -- and that could also be something.  

I do hope it's a good sign, though!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
49 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

We feel the same, but I am aggressively fighting the urge to feel fearful and sad. Today I am making my COVID Winter Bucket List. Training myself to think of it not as a season of fear, but as a season of resolve, to persevere well through to a hopeful spring. As a person of faith, asking God to help me fully grasp the lessons He has for me in this time.

On the lighter side, if I stick to my exercise plans for the next two months, my arms should look fabulous and be powerful  for spring paddling!

A Bucket List sounds fun-do you mind sharing it?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am following deaths more than cases...

The situation seems to me to still be bouncing up and down but relatively stable in that regard

The hospital problem seems to be that there is little care generally offered outpatient, and once in hospital many CV19 patients are extremely ill and many not being released after short stays, so the patient load builds with some cases from months and weeks ago still in hospital -   plus daily admissions   plus medical staffing problems 

• Sad 2
13 minutes ago, math teacher said:

A Bucket List sounds fun-do you mind sharing it?

It is still in process! But in general I can tell you it will focus on habit consistency (spiritual practices, exercise), a few specific creative projects, and finishing up my Swedish Death Cleaning (sorry that sounds morbid for the winter we are facing this year but more than ever I am reminded that there’s a lot of stuff I don’t want my adult children to have to deal with); I have a good head start on the decluttering but want to totally check the done box on it. 

Other things include celebrating the Christmas season (advent through to epiphany) with true intentionality and creativity, and doing some long-term planning. I am sort of retiring this year, with my youngest kid becoming an independent driver, but my husband has about 10 years til he retires. I need to make some solid decisions for how to navigate those gap years - second career? Committing in a significant way to a volunteer organization? 

Another thing is to walk through our home and make a detailed to-do & what’s-it-gonna-cost list to weigh the options of retiring in place or relocating. 

I don’t think it would be hard for any of us to come up with such a list, if we carved out a couple of hours and gave it some thought. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 5
21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think the big headline on that vaccine is that the storage temperature requirements are not as extreme as the mRNA vaccines, which will allow for much wider distribution to many more countries that do not have the infrastructure to support the other vaccines.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think the big headline on that vaccine is that the storage temperature requirements are not as extreme as the mRNA vaccines, which will allow for much wider distribution to many more countries that do not have the infrastructure to support the other vaccines.

The AZ vaccine also seems to cost way less, the company has taken a no-profit pledge and has many doses stored up.  Added together, it seems like this is going to be a critical option if we're going to bring widespread vaccination to places like refugee camps and areas of world without good health infrastructure. 

Edited by BaseballandHockey
grammar
  • Like 6
On 11/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, Ordinary Shoes said:

how are they doing?