Menu

How are you guys feeling about gasoline?

saraha

We always have a few cans of gasoline around for our equipment. When our neighbors moved to Alaska, they gave us the gas cans they weren't taking, so I am trying to decide if we want to fill them up. Does it store well over the winter?

It has fluctuated between $1.85 and $2.15 and back over the last week or so.

Nice prices!

I’ve ordered everyone to keep their tanks topped off, but I couldn’t tell you if they’ve listened to me.  I’m pretty sure we’ve kept gas cans just fine over the winter, but I’m not really in charge of that. Our primary purpose is for generator use, and then dh is in charge of rotating.

Car-wise, the only person I’m concerned about is dd, since dh can technically work from home.  But, if things were REALLY insane, her job and her volunteer job (and dh’s) have access to gas.

The only emergency that could really force me out of my home is fire, and having a full gas tank is enough to deal with that issue. Otherwise, I can just sit here. Which is what I did in Sandy, when gas got crazy.

• Like 1

Not really I think, although family members (who probably got their info from Facebook) keep floating the ideas that once the presidency changes hands the price will sky rocket, or that there will be a trucker strike etc.

Also, we are too far south for blizzards or being snowed in, but at least twice since I moved here we have had ice storms that knocked power out for multiple days and we just bought a generator so was just wondering about gas storage.

8 hours ago, saraha said:

Not really I think, although family members (who probably got their info from Facebook) keep floating the ideas that once the presidency changes hands the price will sky rocket, or that there will be a trucker strike etc.

Also, we are too far south for blizzards or being snowed in, but at least twice since I moved here we have had ice storms that knocked power out for multiple days and we just bought a generator so was just wondering about gas storage.

I've been hearing about the supposed "Trucker strike" for a few weeks on fb. I'm not sure why truckers would strike? Other than it seems like an exciting thing to doom-and-gloom about. Same for gas prices increasing suddenly. I suspect any increases we might see would be localized and due to price gouging. 

I did a little googling, and it doesn't seem like a trucker strike is likely to be effective, if one were to occur.  There's been a decrease in unionized truckers, so there's no centralized organization to force or propel a strike.  According to snopes, there are only about 75,000 members in the Teamsters now. There are many more independent truckers now than there were in the 70s.      

• Like 1