Menu

Binocular Microscope Viewing?

My kids cannot see a single image in the binocular microscope. Are there any surefire tips? Their faces are not too small. They are all about my size or larger and I can see the image clearly. We've tried and tried and they are getting frustrated. They say it gives them headaches just to try. I'm not sure what I did to make myself see the images correctly. The first few times I couldn't do it either, but then I persevered, figured it out, and it's like riding a bike. 

It's ok to use only one eye and one objective when we are using a lower magnification, but on the higher one the image is too small unless you can use both eyes. Google says to try stepping back, looking at it from outside the objectives, and then moving up, but it's not helping. I've tried to show them to blur the objectives by using 2 fingers and seeing if they can turn it to 3 fingers by relaxing, but they can't even do that! I had planned a lot of microscope time (to get my money's worth!) and this is frustrating.

I have a monocular view microscope, so this may not apply, but I got a relatively cheap camera attachment that let me project the image into a computer. This was a life saver when I had multiple young kids trying to see images. Sorry I don't have any ideas that directly address your question.

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I have a monocular view microscope, so this may not apply, but I got a relatively cheap camera attachment that let me project the image into a computer. This was a life saver when I had multiple young kids trying to see images. Sorry I don't have any ideas that directly address your question.

I didn't get the microscopes that had the attachment ability. I should have, but they are 13-19 so I thought they should learn to use it themselves and it was more expensive.