Menu

Spinning off: Home for the holidays, Covid rules?

iamonlyone

My DD is getting a test before she comes home - probably two days or so (her school has been getting results back within 24 hours usually).

No quarantining unless she gets sick after she's home.

We quarantined DD1 back in March when she had to come home when this all began and it was really, really tough on all of us. We lasted 7 days and it was just ... not fun. Since DD2 can get a test before coming home, we're calling it good and giving her gigantic hugs when we see her again. 🙂

• Like 2

We picked my S up at school last Saturday (two cars down so he could drive one back by himself), and he had a test Sun. We are still waiting on results (ridiculous) but since he came home he has been quarantining in his room/upstairs bath. If he comes downstairs, he wears a mask, as do we. Mostly he stays in his room, which stinks, but seems to be the safest thing to do. When D comes home, she will do the same. 

• Like 1

Dd isn't going to test - her campus is pretty locked down - but she is flying home.  My adult sons will test before coming home for Thanksgiving (terrible idea, IMO), but one is flying.  We're not going to have anyone quarantine because it would seem pointless to have the family together just to quarantine.  It's making me anxious to have us all together in the same house coming from 5 different areas, but that's what they all want to do (including DH).  I am very excited to see them, but feel like celebrating could have been postponed.  Dd has to come home since her campus will be closed, but not her brothers.

• Like 2

DD flew from Europe last week--she had not planned on coming home until the last minute.  Things were beginning to lockdown hard where she was and  we were concerned that she would feel extremely isolated.  We were happy that she was able to get a reasonable flight back.  We have not had her isolate herself away from us.  Free drive-up tests are being offered in our area--so she may get tested.  

• Like 3

Ds is getting a test done at school but we won’t quarantine. His school has had no cases so I feel if he tests negative there is very little risk. He’s also careful.  We may be more risk to him although since we had some type of virus a couple of weeks ago we haven’t been able to do much outside the house which is probably good as numbers here have started to rise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bootsie said:

DD flew from Europe last week--she had not planned on coming home until the last minute.  Things were beginning to lockdown hard where she was and  we were concerned that she would feel extremely isolated.  We were happy that she was able to get a reasonable flight back.  We have not had her isolate herself away from us.  Free drive-up tests are being offered in our area--so she may get tested.  

It’s what I did for little DD and myself when returning from Europe this summer—waited 3-4 days at home (not isolating from rest of my family as I cannot and won’t do that, but not leaving the house), then did a drive through test for the two of us. Response was thankfully within 24 hours (it had been varying, we tested before going too). 

Well, my college junior is sick with a 102 degree fever. She got tested this morning; will have results later today. She & boyfriend were supposed to fly home in 8 days to spend Thanksgiving here 😌. She cried on FaceTime and said she just wants me there and that she’s been so careful, but still feels guilty for getting sick. This truly sucks.

• Sad 8

Nope. Nothing special. Will pick her up in the airport, give her a big hug and carry on as normal. When oldest and her BF come for Christmas, same thing. If any of us has Covid, we are (1) at next-to-zero risk of complications, and (2) in the same house, where resistance is likely futile. Zero percent concerned. 

• Like 4

While we have been pretty careful (way more careful than anyone i know IRL but reckless based on what alot of people on this board have done, I guess I'm a Covid moderate if there is such a thing), I am not going to do anything different in my home if and when my adult sons (ages 20 and 22) return for Christmas.

I am not hosting a big family Thanksgiving. I'm not going to expose myself to all the young adults in the extended family and I'm not going to expose old folks to my young adults returning home.  But for my own kids in my own house, I'm risking exposure. No one here is super high risk and we won't go out to church, visit elderly neighbors, etc. They can come home and expose dh and me if they are positive but we'll stop the transmission there and quarantine the nuclear family pretty much to the house. I'm willing to risk exposure to myself but not looking to take it out and expose anyone else. 

Turns out it looks like my 22 yo actually has Covid now. He is awaiting a test but his roomate is positive and has had symptoms and my ds is having symptoms while waiting for his test. I know it sounds crazy but even if he is positive I would let him come home. I would definitely take precautions around the house and I would know the risk...but I just can't see turning away my dc even if he actively has Covid.  

I have only seen my 20 yo for a couple very brief visits since last Christmas. If he comes into town for a few days I am definitely not making him quarantine in his room. I won't take him to visit Grandpa, nor will the rest of us visit Grandpa for a few weeks, but I'm okay with the risk to myself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

Well, my college junior is sick with a 102 degree fever. She got tested this morning; will have results later today. She & boyfriend were supposed to fly home in 8 days to spend Thanksgiving here 😌. She cried on FaceTime and said she just wants me there and that she’s been so careful, but still feels guilty for getting sick. This truly sucks.

Oh, I'm sorry!  I hope she feels better soon and that her test is negative.  Please update when you can.

• Like 1

College DD just had her "Go Home" test on campus - she is currently negative. College DD is set to be home Sat or Sun (DH driving down to get her). I think we will have the two of them hole up in the master bedroom (the closet is big enough for a twin bed) for a couple of days. DH will probably test Tuesday-ish since he'll be traveling through 4 states and staying in hotels, etc.

Younger DD has an orthodontist appointment tomorrow. I am thinking of testing her and me on Monday as our area currently has a pretty nasty outbreak. We'll call quarantine done if everyone's test comes back negative. Hoping it will be by Thanksgiving, but as it'll just be us, so I guess it'll be no biggie if Thanksgiving is put off until the weekend. 

5 hours ago, fourisenough said:

She’s positive. Ugh. Packing up to move to quarantine housing right now. Fever is down now that she’s alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every few hours. Now to figure out if she can fly home next Wednesday (not likely). She’ll get direction from the local health department. Contract tracing has already been initiated.

• Sad 10

She’s positive. Ugh. Packing up to move to quarantine housing right now. Fever is down now that she’s alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every few hours. Now to figure out if she can fly home next Wednesday (not likely). She’ll get direction from the local health department. Contract tracing has already been initiated.

I'm sorry.  Such bad timing.  Hope she recovers quickly.  😞

• Like 1

DS is flying home the day before Thanksgiving and staying until late January. He'll get tested on the Monday before he leaves, so he should have the results before he leaves if all goes well. I think we'll have to call that good enough for precautions--we do have a travel trailer in the driveway, so it would be fairly easy to set him up out there for two weeks, but given that he gets home the day before Thanksgiving, I'd feel too guilty sticking him in the trailer on actual Thanksgiving. When I mentioned something about him quarantining, he pointed out that my husband goes to work in a high school every day and we let HIM in the house. He has a point. Anyway, his school has been doing a ton of testing and has had a handful of cases in staff and students who live off campus, but none at all in on-campus students yet. Knock wood.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:59 PM, fourisenough said:

So sorry to hear this! My heart goes out to your family!

Thanks, everyone! Her fever broke after 24-36 hours and now she’s just bored & lonely in isolation housing! Her employer, the local hospital, will allow her back to work on Thanksgiving day (10 days after symptom onset), so we’re comfortable with her flying home that day.

We’re also asking DDs 1 & 3 to test before coming home. But, we won’t mask and everyone is getting hugs when they arrive. I really hope my in-laws choose not to come over for dinner. I will stop short of telling them they’re not welcome, but I’m hoping they make the right decision on their own.

• Like 6

Update, a.k.a. making lemonade out of lemons: DD and her boyfriend (who is also positive) were asked to participate in a clinical trial of an antibody treatment for COVID. It is hoped the drug will reduce the severity and longevity of symptoms. She got the infusion on Monday and will go back weekly for labs for up to 10 visits. They’re each being paid about $2,500 for participating in the study. Since DD has missed about 3-4 shifts due to her positive status, this will help off-set her lost wages (and then some!).

• Like 7

Update, a.k.a. making lemonade out of lemons: DD and her boyfriend (who is also positive) were asked to participate in a clinical trial of an antibody treatment for COVID. It is hoped the drug will reduce the severity and longevity of symptoms. She got the infusion on Monday and will go back weekly for labs for up to 10 visits. They’re each being paid about $2,500 for participating in the study. Since DD has missed about 3-4 shifts due to her positive status, this will help off-set her lost wages (and then some!).

I'm glad they are receiving the antibody treatment; I hope it helps greatly! And thank you to both your dd and her boyfriend for being willing to participate! I'm glad they are being nicely compensated!

• Like 1

Since we are Alaska residents, my son (coming in from NC)  will have to arrive with a qualifying negative Covid test and fill out a travel declaration and self-isolation plan or he can receive a free test at the airport upon arrival and quarantine until results arrive. I am having him test in NC before he flies out and then will have him test again at our airport when he lands just to be safe. I don't plan to make everyone in the household wear masks or anything. We will all just stay home until his test results are returned. My husband will be out-of-state for a school (he is a soldier) so he won't be home for this to affect his work anyway so it all works out pretty well. 

• Like 1

Dd18 has been tested 2x week this semester at her college in a very low Covid state, and her last negative test was the day before I picked her up. I also tested negative before picking her up.

We isolated from grandparents but our family of four is not doing anything different--except celebrating Thanksgiving at home with no extended family. I do think Covid ran through our house in March, and dd18 was clinically diagnosed by her pediatrician (though that wasn't confirmed by testing, which we were unable to access at that point).

If any of the above circumstances were different we might have made different decisions. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 10:04 PM, SilverBrook said:

Our rules seem a bit different than the above  but I will share for diversity of opinions. My family’s  only rule is to come in and give your Momma a hug. I can’t wait to see my older kids.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

Same with us.

• Like 3