Menu

Nuri Mass

Is anyone familiar with  her works?  I am considering reading her The Wonderland of Nature to my K and 1st grader as a read aloud.  We are currently reading The Burgess Book of Animals, which they absolutely LOVE, and I'm looking to find more books along that vein, books that they beg me to read to them.  So far, they love Catherine Vos' The Story Bible, and the Burgess book.  

• Like 1

Are you looking specifically for books about nature, or just for a good read aloud?

For nature, my kids also liked the Burgess animal book, and the Burgess bird book. And there are lots of story books by the same author which are fun. I think we read Happy Jack and some others.

Also on nature -- my kids liked Pagoo, by Holling Holling. We've read a few of their books and that's the only one that they really loved.

Curious to see what others say! 

On 11/14/2020 at 8:27 AM, Little Green Leaves said:

Are you looking specifically for books about nature, or just for a good read aloud?

For nature, my kids also liked the Burgess animal book, and the Burgess bird book. And there are lots of story books by the same author which are fun. I think we read Happy Jack and some others.

Also on nature -- my kids liked Pagoo, by Holling Holling. We've read a few of their books and that's the only one that they really loved.

Curious to see what others say! 

Good question!  I was in a bit of a hurry when I typed up my post.  I'm looking for some really good read alouds that includes all subjects--History, literature, Bible, Geography, Music, Art, etc, etc.  I guess "living books" is a good description. I've found a few books on Living Books Press website that I think might be really fun:  another science book by Fabre called Storybook Science, but I think that is a 4th grade recommendation;  The Wonderland of Nature also inspired me, although we're not Australians, and I'm not sure if she just specifically talks about Australian animals or many different kinds.  Also, I think I LOVE her book about Little Grammar People--but K and 1 is probably too young to start that yet.  

Basically, the discovery of my children's response to Burgess' book and Vos' book is inspiring me to seriously consider Charlotte Mason style homeschooling more closely.  I haven't really done much research on her methods/book recommendations, because starting this homeschool journey (we just started this year), I was so set on doing more of a classical approach--which I'm finding I loathe, and my children do not particularly love either.   But they can't WAIT for me to read Vos or Burgess, and beg for more and more.  I'd really like to be able to channel that enthusiasm somehow!

• Like 2