Menu

2020 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

37 minutes ago, Tina said:

Ooh, that is indeed beautiful! The seller makes some other items that are also attractive including rings and journals.

The problem with going to an Etsy link is that I invariably click link after link and find other good things. Like this ~

For the HIVE: Honey bee wax seal ring

Now this is decidedly unique (and odd!).

Lego Desk Tidy Pen Holder

A great shirt for Lego fans 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

Ooh, that is indeed beautiful! The seller makes some other items that are also attractive including rings and journals.

The problem with going to an Etsy link is that I invariably click link after link and find other good things. Like this ~

For the HIVE: Honey bee wax seal ring

Now this is decidedly unique (and odd!).

Lego Desk Tidy Pen Holder

A great shirt for Lego fans 

Regards,

Kareni

Only a man would think of a fart ring. And think it's a totally normal thing to market. What's that saying: I wish I had half the confidence of the average man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I love this concept! This shop "rescues" stuffed toys from thrift shops, deep cleans and repairs them, and then adds weight (rice or glass pebbles), scent, and/or accessories of your choice. You can also ship a new stuffie or your own stuffie to them and they will do the same. So cool.

This shop does something similar, although I don't know for sure if their stuffies are new or thrifted. They use plastic pellets so many of their stuffies are washable.

Yes, I want these for myself. 🙂 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I love this concept! This shop "rescues" stuffed toys from thrift shops, deep cleans and repairs them, and then adds weight (rice or glass pebbles), scent, and/or accessories of your choice. You can also ship a new stuffie or your own stuffie to them and they will do the same. So cool.

What a neat idea! I'm impressed at how thoughtful and creative people can be.

40 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes, I want these for myself. 🙂 

I hope you'll get one.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

Woah! Those shirts are rad. Kareni, I think you need a side hustle as a stylist. You are a talented curator. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I LOVE this too! Gosh, you all are on fire. Such epic finds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Can't decide if this Christmas dragon Hawaiian shirt is hideous or wonderful...

That is a tough call. It's definitely eye-catching!

7 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I keep looking at this for my DD who journals for mental health...

What a lovely journal! Should you get it for your daughter, I hope she'd enjoy it and find it of value.

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Kareni, I think you need a side hustle as a stylist. You are a talented curator. 

Thank you kindly!

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, Kareni said:

The next unusual gift is from the Icelandic Phallological Museum.

I've actually been there! This is my 6'7" DS with a whale willy. Some of the displays were actually really interesting, zoologically-speaking, but my favorite was the empty jar labeled "elf penis." 😂

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.05.23 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

On 11/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, NewIma said:

Thanks for starting this thread! I've always loved reading what people find!

I'm considering this for dd13- Shakespeare Insult Generator!                                                                                                 https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Insult-Generator-Match-Insults/dp/1452127751/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bards+insults&qid=1605232705&s=books&sr=1-1

We had this from the library and the kids had a ball with it.  Most enthusiastic they’ve ever been about Shakespeare!  Some of the insults were a bit adult for my youngest though from memory 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We had this from the library and the kids had a ball with it.  Most enthusiastic they’ve ever been about Shakespeare!  Some of the insults were a bit adult for my youngest though from memory 

These are pretty funny too:

https://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-12389-Shakespearean-Insult-Bandages/dp/B00BPWU3SQ/ref=pd_bxgy_3/146-9394879-2102156?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BPWU3SQ&pd_rd_r=586105aa-ac29-4d6c-a2fe-fc962b590ccb&pd_rd_w=FuQvB&pd_rd_wg=1L8t3&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=R52RDZC6492160P522B3&psc=1&refRID=R52RDZC6492160P522B3

• Like 5

On 11/18/2020 at 10:24 PM, happi duck said:

I'm something of a Star Trek fan... now if I only drank wine! That does look neat, happi duck. Thanks for sharing the link.

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I love the artwork from 

https://www.mariniferlazzo.com.au

Those pieces are neat. I took note of the obligatory owl!

11 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've actually been there! This is my 6'7" DS with a whale willy. Some of the displays were actually really interesting, zoologically-speaking, but my favorite was the empty jar labeled "elf penis." 😂

How neat to get a first hand account as well as a picture, Corraleno. Thank you. That empty jar would amuse me, too.

Regards,

Kareni

I just bought a bunch of the Subpar stickers for various family members. We went on a trip to Utah last year and did a bunch of National Parks so I think the kids will love it. 

I personally LOVE the wooden anatomy ornaments. I can't see spending $24.00 on one just for me though and I can't think of anyone else who would appreciate it in my life. 

If you have a Math lover in your family this is a great website: https://mathsgear.co.uk. It is international shipping but the things themselves are pretty reasonable. Oldest son is a huge fan of Matt Parker so I got him the newest book and it's a signed copy. Amazon had the book, but not signed. I also got him a 120 sided die which he is going to love. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

This is one of my favorite artists - I love his astrophotography. He sells prints and also offers wallpaper backgrounds for phones or computers free on a regular basis. 

https://www.abduld.com/shop?category=Astrophotography

What wonderful photography! Thanks for sharing the link, Amanda.

9 minutes ago, Alice said:

I you have a Math lover in your family this is a great website: https://mathsgear.co.uk. It is international shipping but the things themselves are pretty reasonable. Oldest son is a huge fan of Matt Parker so I got him the newest book and it's a signed copy. Amazon had the book, but not signed. I also got him a 120 sided die which he is going to love. 

A 120 sided die sounds incredible!

I'm a fan of the Math 'n' Stuff  store that is located in Washington state. They have some great stuff.

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

• I'm gifting my dad a book called Gods at Play that has received super high reviews.
  • Check out this cool name done in baseballs: and it's only $10 on Etsy.

Wendy, I'm bringing this over from another thread for those here who might be interested.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

If anyone is looking for an elegant gift -- from Costco -- to give someone, you might like this.

My husband's boss gave him a gift (for personal stuff he did for her) the Gudrun chocolates that are at Costco right now.

It sounds pricey at $60 but you get four of these packages to give, so $15 each. I'm not sure if you can buy the packages individually at the stores.

They come in a beautiful gift package and 36 chocolates are layered.

It's a beautiful gift.

Wendy

• Like 3

One more food gift for those who take watching their weight super seriously: peppermint meringue cookies at Trader Joes. (They also come in chocolate and vanilla).

The peppermints come in a small tub and two tubs would make a fantastic gift.

And trust me: omg-good!! I ate the small tub the first day they were home.

Wendy

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

One more food gift for those who take watching their weight super seriously: peppermint meringue cookies at Trader Joes. (They also come in chocolate and vanilla).

You have my mouth watering, Wendy!

I can also state, for those like me who keep track, that the meringue cookies tend to be low in sodium.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

That is funny! 

To accompany it, we have today's find ~

Classic Yodelling Marmot

Regards,

Kareni

OH MY GOODNESS. So awesome! I need to get one of those for my MIL, seriously. I showed my DH and he was amused. She might not have "gotten" the pickle but that is just adorable. And my FIL loves toys that move and do things. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:36 PM, Kareni said:

Wow, finding good two-player board games is hard. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Wow, finding good two-player board games is hard. Thanks for the link!

You're quite welcome, Emily. From the list, I've enjoyed Sushi Go and Morels.

It's not on the list, but I've also enjoyed Onirim.

Do you have any recommendations for other two player games?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, Stacia said:

I have been laughing my head off at some of these items.

Calamity Ware has fun stuff. A lot of it is pricey but there are more reasonably priced things too.

https://calamityware.com/

Thanks for this thread, Karen. And thanks to everyone who posts. I have found some great gifts thanks to you guys!

I want some Calamity Ware  so bad. I collect teacups and love the Blue Willow pattern, but they also fit my sense of humor perfectly.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kareni said:

You're quite welcome, Emily. From the list, I've enjoyed Sushi Go and Morels.

It's not on the list, but I've also enjoyed Onirim.

Do you have any recommendations for other two player games?

Regards,

Kareni

The list spoke to me because Patchwork, one of our family's favorite games for the last six years, is listed as the best two-player game for beginners.

We've probably played 2000+ plus times as a family (though 1000 of those were DS8 playing against himself). DD12 is in the process of writing up a math fair project on the strategy right now. We've literally made clay pieces to replace various pieces we've lost. I highly recommend it. I expect I'll like other games they recommend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, historically accurate said:

This reminds me of another deck I heard of earlier this year:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/queeng-playing-cards#/

Basically a regular playing deck (so you can use them with any games you play using regular decks), but it levels the gender playing field (rather than kings being of more value than queens). More info at the link....

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Kareni said:

Ooh, that definitely looks intriguing! I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've sampled some. I'm not a coffee drinker, but it's probably honest to say that I'm a chocoholic.

Regards,

Kareni

I've had brewed cacao! Very different.  It doesn't taste like chocolate, and it doesn't taste like coffee.  It's really unlike anything I've ever tasted, and the first few sips I wasn't sure I liked it, but the more I sipped, the more it grew on me, and by the end of the cup I'd decided I quite liked it.  I've been meaning to pick some up for myself because I think it would fit nicely into my routine of hot beverages.  I drink a LOT of hot tea, coffee and chai in the winter.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I've had brewed cacao! Very different.  It doesn't taste like chocolate, and it doesn't taste like coffee.  It's really unlike anything I've ever tasted, and the first few sips I wasn't sure I liked it, but the more I sipped, the more it grew on me, and by the end of the cup I'd decided I quite liked it. ...

Thank you for the firsthand account, Lady Marmalade! I would certainly like to give it a try.

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, Stacia said:

This reminds me of another deck I heard of earlier this year:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/queeng-playing-cards#/

Basically a regular playing deck (so you can use them with any games you play using regular decks), but it levels the gender playing field (rather than kings being of more value than queens). More info at the link....

What a neat idea, Stacia! Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

The list spoke to me because Patchwork, one of our family's favorite games for the last six years, is listed as the best two-player game for beginners.

We've probably played 2000+ plus times as a family (though 1000 of those were DS8 playing against himself). DD12 is in the process of writing up a math fair project on the strategy right now. We've literally made clay pieces to replace various pieces we've lost. I highly recommend it. I expect I'll like other games they recommend. 

I'd seen favorable reviews of Patchwork, Emily, but your post is making me think I need to add this to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

Regards,

Kareni