Jump to content

Menu

I had NO IDEA!


Recommended Posts

That there existed leggings that cost over $100 a pair! And not just one brand, but multiple!!! 

I mean, it's not like a purse where you need just one...you need multiple pairs of leggings...or pants, or whatever. Are people paying that for say, 6 pairs?!? They aren't even like jeans that you can wear a few times before washing. (we can admit that, right?) 

Wow!

I want to know how awesome these things really are - like Spanx has leggings for $130 a pair! Lululemon was what i THOUGHT were the fanciest, and those you can get on sale for $70 - seems a bargain comparatively, lol. And lots of places have $50 leggings. 

Do you own fancy leggings? ARe they that wonderful? Part of me wants to ask for a pair of Lululemon for Christmas, but I have to wonder if they are really all that?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a leggings person. I own them for pajamas and exercise only. I would never pay $100 for leggings, but I wouldn’t for jeans either.

i have one pair from Pact, with pockets, that I love for exercise ( but not sleeping). They cost $50 normally but I bought them for about $30 last Black Friday.  They have a substantial fabric (and waistband, which is why I don’t like sleeping in them) and are much more like pants I would feel comfortable wearing in public than the flimsy leggings I bought for $7 or whatever at Walmart. Plus pockets, I love pockets.

 So I can see that expensive leggings might be a lot better than their cheaper counterparts, but not better enough for me to pay $100 for them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

 Do you own fancy leggings? ARe they that wonderful? Part of me wants to ask for a pair of Lululemon for Christmas, but I have to wonder if they are really all that?

Yeah, no.  All my leggings come from Kohl's and Old Navy - and I usually get them on sale even there...  they seem to do the job.  I wonder what magic these expensive leggings perform...?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emba said:

I am not a leggings person. I own them for pajamas and exercise only. I would never pay $100 for leggings, but I wouldn’t for jeans either.

i have one pair from Pact, with pockets, that I love for exercise ( but not sleeping). They cost $50 normally but I bought them for about $30 last Black Friday.  They have a substantial fabric (and waistband, which is why I don’t like sleeping in them) and are much more like pants I would feel comfortable wearing in public than the flimsy leggings I bought for $7 or whatever at Walmart. Plus pockets, I love pockets.

 So I can see that expensive leggings might be a lot better than their cheaper counterparts, but not better enough for me to pay $100 for them.

The leggings I get at Kohl's/Old Navy all have thick, non-see-through fabric, and many have pockets.  I am also a pocket fan.  But these details are not exclusive to the pricey leggings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Athleta leggings...have worn them for years. Man, they fit great and feel so good. Alas, they are showing age and now are just for yard work and bumming around the house. A couple years ago I tried to replace them but the style wasn’t available and none that I tried on felt worth the $$ I spent on these. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's like a lot of clothes. . . take Kate Spade. Her clothes are crazy expensive. Are there really enough people in the world to keep that clothing line in business?!

Some of the wealthiest people I've known are super frugal.

I'm with you: unbelievable.

Wendy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My two daughters (17 and 23) were gifted a pair and absolutely love them! We know of others who have them and love them too. I recently gifted my mother a pair, since she loves to wear leggings and is always so generous with us. She loves them too. We are sure to wash them carefully and not put them in the dryer. Also, the big price tag includes a lifetime warranty, so if anything at all happens to them you can send them in for a new pair for free. 

🙂

I found this article and thought it had some good tips! 

https://www.styledemocracy.com/lululemon-secrets-from-previous-employees/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not me.  I must admit there were some $70 ones I’d love to buy purely because they’re actually made in Australia and I really want to support local manufacturing and they have gorgeous wildflower patterns.  But truthfully my budget isn’t really up to that.  
 

i have found its worth buying the $30 type over the $10 ones because they stay wearable for a lot longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Lu Lu leggings when I went travelling in Europe.

I used them as long underwear in the alps, plenty of times and PJ's, and as tights under dresses and skirts... and, yes, I wore them multiple times between washing. I paid for them because I really needed them to be perfect, and we were not carrying anything extra on that trip. Perfectly wicking in their role as long johns for the alps, perfectly nude-feeling in their role as PJ's for itchy sheets, and perfectly on trend for times when I needed to be dressy. (They were, and still are.)

I got a pair for me, plus one for each daughter. That was some price shock, I tell you!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not me.  I must admit there were some $70 ones I’d love to buy purely because they’re actually made in Australia and I really want to support local manufacturing and they have gorgeous wildflower patterns.  But truthfully my budget isn’t really up to that.  
 

i have found its worth buying the $30 type over the $10 ones because they stay wearable for a lot longer.

Yeah, the ones I buy have a sticker price around the $30 range, but I shop the sales... 😄 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never tried those, but I have sometimes found that the more expensive bottoms last a long enough time to be economical in the long run.  NYDJ brand jeans are like that for me.  They wear like iron.  So maybe those fancy leggings are WEP, but I can’t bring myself to try them.

I DID buy some formerly expensive legging style capris from that women’s running clothing company that went out of business this year—was it Skirt Sport maybe?  When they were selling off their inventory really cheap I picked up some, and wow, they are great.  Better pockets than most, and they stay up really well which is sometimes an issue, and yet they don’t have those tight waists that annoy my reflux and mess with my breathing when I’m running.  But I still would not have spent $80 on them.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have the body type to look good in leggings, so mine are mostly cheap Amazon knockoffs that work under dresses or riding boots. But I have a friend  that swears by Spanx leather leggings. She lost probably 70 pounds last year. She pairs them with the Stuart Weizman (spelling?) 5050 boots she couldn’t fit in before and says they give her thigh gap in this tone that implies thigh gap is her fashion holy grail. 

This is a woman with a luxury bag collection almost as big as some of the Kardashians though. Multiple Birkins, that kind of thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for the very wealthy, $100 is a common price point.

I think for a lot of the people I know who wear high end leggings, they justify it as an occasional splurge, or as an investment. Instead of owning 3 pairs of Target $30 compression leggings, they own one pair of Athleta or Lululemon. I find that as I get older I am making some of those same choices.....one nice pair of something rather than 3-4 less expensive somethings in their place. I have moved to much more of a capsule wardrobe now that I don’t have kids spitting up on me and necessitating outfit changes in a day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy dd22 Athleta leggings and pants. They are an investment, but honestly, they are not at all like regular leggings. She can, and does wear them for several days before washing them. She has some pairs that she has worn 100 times that are still going strong. One pair got a tiny hole in the thigh, and the hole stayed the same size for years.  The pair that look like pants, are leggings comfy, but have some style to them to wear out in public.  They never get saggy butt or loose seems. They have a lifetime warranty, as long as you save the receipt you can get a refund if they are defective, even a year later. They come in so many styles, shapes and lengths! It is so nice to have a pair that fit long, lean legs!! Due to her health condition, she is in leggings a lot around the house so they gets lots of wear.

When she was middle school she wore Pink brand and a bit of Nike. Then it was just Nike. She was a cheerleader, so her leggings were absolutely trashed by the end of a season. Until she found Athleta and then she never wanted another brand. I pay twice as much, but she easily gets 3x the wear out of them! As an adult, she probably gets a new pair a year now (usually a gift), but she still has pairs that are 6+ years old that she still wears on a regular basis.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they last that much longer than cheap ones, it certainly makes sense. You just have to investigate which ones are actually higher quality, and which ones just cost more. 

20 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

When her dad travels , he always brings her home another outfit. 
 

That's just a sweet dad thing to do! 

17 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, the ones I buy have a sticker price around the $30 range, but I shop the sales... 😄 

I don't think Australia has the kind of deep sales we do in the states. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, no.  All my leggings come from Kohl's and Old Navy - and I usually get them on sale even there...  they seem to do the job.  I wonder what magic these expensive leggings perform...?

Maybe the workout for you?

43 minutes ago, Kfamily said:

My two daughters (17 and 23) were gifted a pair and absolutely love them! We know of others who have them and love them too. I recently gifted my mother a pair, since she loves to wear leggings and is always so generous with us. She loves them too. We are sure to wash them carefully and not put them in the dryer. Also, the big price tag includes a lifetime warranty, so if anything at all happens to them you can send them in for a new pair for free. 

🙂

I found this article and thought it had some good tips! 

https://www.styledemocracy.com/lululemon-secrets-from-previous-employees/

I'm tempted for christmas! The warranty is nice!

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think for the very wealthy, $100 is a common price point.

I think for a lot of the people I know who wear high end leggings, they justify it as an occasional splurge, or as an investment. Instead of owning 3 pairs of Target $30 compression leggings, they own one pair of Athleta or Lululemon. I find that as I get older I am making some of those same choices.....one nice pair of something rather than 3-4 less expensive somethings in their place. I have moved to much more of a capsule wardrobe now that I don’t have kids spitting up on me and necessitating outfit changes in a day.

But...if you workout daily, are you washing and then air drying overnight the same pair of leggings every day? I do laundry almost daily, but now sure how long they'd hold up to daily washing and wearing, or if they would air dry fast enough to be worn the next day again. Seems for workout clothes, you'd have to have a few pair at least?

If it was ONE pair I could totally justify it.  But I now workout daily, and lately am doing yoga almost every day. So looking for something I can have several pairs of. I think? LOL, fashion confuses me. Anyone need advice on dog breeds or something easy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tap said:

I buy dd22 Athleta leggings and pants. They are an investment, but honestly, they are not at all like regular leggings. She can, and does wear them for several days before washing them.

I could see that for just wearing them around the house, but I'm looking for workout clothes specifically. And I sweat a lot when working out...particularly in the um...private areas. So crotch sweat soaked leggings, no matter how nice, would not be worn more than once 🙂

But..ones that hold up - that's a good point. 

And not sagging - HUGE thing. I hate having to "hike up" my leggings mid workout!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With 6 people in the house, daily laundry is already happening. We have regularly had temporary relos, though, where we all were in carryon bags only—switching between 4 outfits (and 1-2 sets of workout clothes) for months on end. 

Right now I have one pair of $100 leggings and some older (like 5-10 years old) $30 ones. I will be adding another $100 pair of leggings at Christmas, and retiring out the holey leggings. So, it’s a slow and gradual collection process. (My previous process was to buy 3 $30 leggings yearly, which would wear out and get replaced.) The compression and fit from the more expensive leggings makes it worth it. They are probably at 100 washes now and I see some faint elastic thread crackles at the compression waistband. 

If you are doing yoga at home, just wear what you have now daily and start building up a nicer athleisure wardrobe over time. Putting a pause on shopping for six months helps one figure out how much of your previous shopping was based on need versus impulsivity. My overall budget for outfits for the family hasn’t shifted too much over time—we just have less which means it’s an easier system to maintain....just like having one nice water bottle to track than many. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I could see that for just wearing them around the house, but I'm looking for workout clothes specifically. And I sweat a lot when working out...particularly in the um...private areas. So crotch sweat soaked leggings, no matter how nice, would not be worn more than once 🙂

But..ones that hold up - that's a good point. 

And not sagging - HUGE thing. I hate having to "hike up" my leggings mid workout!!!

Washing them daily in that case makes sense. DD runs in them and works out, but isn't a sweater, so she can still wear them again if she wants. She has 'lounging' ones and 'workout' ones that she bought with specific ideas in mind, so she isn't lounging in leggings that she was sweating in the night before. 

Athleta's return policy is very generous. I really suggest investing in a pair and seeing if they are worth it to you. Going into a store really helps with getting the right fit for everyone's different curves. 

We keep a large garmet bag in dd's laundry basket and just toss her leggings in the bag.  That way they don't get pills from other fabrics or a snag from hook on her workout bras. We hang to dry all athletic fabrics because they dry so fast and it protects the fabrics. Hers have been dried before on accident and I haven't noticed a difference, but since they are in a bag in the wash, they are super easy for us to spot and pull out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On washing, my leggings have to be washed after each wear even if I was only lounging, no sweat involved. I have crazy dry skin, and it shows. Skin flakes don’t brush off of leggings like other pants.  Well, not that I’ve seen how that goes with $100 leggings, but definitely within the full range of Under $40.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’ve never tried those, but I have sometimes found that the more expensive bottoms last a long enough time to be economical in the long run.  NYDJ brand jeans are like that for me.  They wear like iron.  So maybe those fancy leggings are WEP, but I can’t bring myself to try them.

I DID buy some formerly expensive legging style capris from that women’s running clothing company that went out of business this year—was it Skirt Sport maybe?  When they were selling off their inventory really cheap I picked up some, and wow, they are great.  Better pockets than most, and they stay up really well which is sometimes an issue, and yet they don’t have those tight waists that annoy my reflux and mess with my breathing when I’m running.  But I still would not have spent $80 on them.  

I love my NYDJ jeans and shorts. They wash well and last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am gentle cycle, air dry....they dry like swim suits...in a few hours in summer temperatures, in 5-6 hours in winter.

Oh! that's REALLY good to know! I don't often air dry anything, so wasn't sure how long it would take. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Washing them daily in that case makes sense. DD runs in them and works out, but isn't a sweater, so she can still wear them again if she wants. She has 'lounging' ones and 'workout' ones that she bought with specific ideas in mind, so she isn't lounging in leggings that she was sweating in the night before. 

 

I probably should have added that I live in Florida for context, lol. On some days just walking across the parking lot leaves me soaked in sweat (so humid it doesn't evaporate - no such thing as "wicking" fabric in 90% humidity like we had today)

I mostly workout indoors, but still, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

 

If you are doing yoga at home, just wear what you have now daily and start building up a nicer athleisure wardrobe over time. Putting a pause on shopping for six months helps one figure out how much of your previous shopping was based on need versus impulsivity. My overall budget for outfits for the family hasn’t shifted too much over time—we just have less which means it’s an easier system to maintain....just like having one nice water bottle to track than many. 

That makes sense - I'm not opposed to minimalism in wardrobes. I usually have 3 pairs of shorts I like, and 3-5 tank tops I like, and rotate through those. I have 3 dresses that I've owned for years, and a pair of jeans and a pair of linen blend pants. That's it, other than my newfound love of leggings, lol. Having say, 3 pair I love, would be more than enough especially knowing the wash and dry quickly!

My husband has at least 4 times the clothes I do, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we had a thread on Popfit leggings a while back where I was in the minority that loved them. But I do, just really truly, love them. They do sales often enough you don't need to pick them up at full price. And a loyalty program I was a part of for a few months just so I could get enough to wear them and only them. I think I have 7 pairs. I certainly need the pockets. Basically, all I wear. 

They are thick fabric, but don't roll down and hold on well. For washing, wash then hang dry, easy peasy.

(Went to their website to make sure I had the right name and they are doing buy 1 get 2 free right now.)

Also have some workout biker shorts from Shein that are nice for just exercise, take off and wash when I don't want to wear my full leggings to get all sweaty. Those were cheap cheap but do the job well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I know we had a thread on Popfit leggings a while back where I was in the minority that loved them. But I do, just really truly, love them. They do sales often enough you don't need to pick them up at full price. And a loyalty program I was a part of for a few months just so I could get enough to wear them and only them. I think I have 7 pairs. I certainly need the pockets. Basically, all I wear. 

They are thick fabric, but don't roll down and hold on well. For washing, wash then hang dry, easy peasy.

(Went to their website to make sure I had the right name and they are doing buy 1 get 2 free right now.)

Also have some workout biker shorts from Shein that are nice for just exercise, take off and wash when I don't want to wear my full leggings to get all sweaty. Those were cheap cheap but do the job well.

I did see a promo for those, so got a few to try. Basically, 3 pairs for a little over $30 including shipping. If I hate them I'll donate them. From what I can tell they are love them or hate them - no  inbetween.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I run every day and have a few pairs of leggings from Athleta that I have acquired over several years.  I’ve only had one pair die on me and I think I got them on sale for $30.  Considering they’ve lasted me for 10+ years, I’m okay with it 🙂 Their return policy is amazing - if something doesn’t work for you once you’ve worked out in it / worn it, they will accept the return.  They have sales a few times a year and items are regularly marked down.  Plus check ebay and Poshmark.  I would recommend first buying directly from them so you can try fit / fabric / cut etc.  But once you know what you like you could try the resale sites.  I also wash on delicate, cold water and air dry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TechWife said:

What makes them amazing?

Honestly, I think it’s the fabric that makes me love them the most. They are super soft, hold in all the right places, and just feel so good. I like that they are high waisted and have pockets to hold my phone. They are my go-to leggings to put on after a long day at work when I just want to feel my most cozy and comfortable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

ooooohhhhhh, I lovelovelovelovelove my Athleta leggings. They're not >$100, but fall right under between $79-$99/each. They are all AMAZING - their material is like buttah. So freaking comfortable and so cute. Now that I know my size from Athleta, I usually stalk their online clearance and just snap stuff up when they drop the prices. I have some of their sculptek jeans (omgosh!!!) that cost me $19 from their clearance! I also have tons of leggings that are probably not my "first choice" colors, but for half the price, I'm plenty happy!

I won't shop at lululemon (I cannot stand the *feel* of the store itself), but my daughters have lots of their stuff. When *I* buy something for them, it's from Athleta, lol!

I also have a ton of Eddie Bauer leggings that I buy when they are 50% off (happens quite frequently) that have held up super well and are super comfy!

eta: I do turn all my leggings inside out, wash them on normal cycle with cold or warm water, and hang them up to dry. I have enough that I really should separate them and wash on delicate... 🤔

Edited by easypeasy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rebcoola said:

You guys made me sure I should never by expensive leggings.  There is no way they would get washed delicate and air dryer. 

I don't buy expensive exercise gear, but it all gets washed on delicate with bras and wool socks,  then air dried. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

ooooohhhhhh, I lovelovelovelovelove my Athleta leggings. They're not >$100, but fall right under between $79-$99/each. They are all AMAZING - their material is like buttah. So freaking comfortable and so cute. Now that I know my size from Athleta, I usually stalk their online clearance and just snap stuff up when they drop the prices. I have some of their sculptek jeans (omgosh!!!) that cost me $19 from their clearance! I also have tons of leggings that are probably not my "first choice" colors, but for half the price, I'm plenty happy!

I won't shop at lululemon (I cannot stand the *feel* of the store itself), but my daughters have lots of their stuff. When *I* buy something for them, it's from Athleta, lol!

I also have a ton of Eddie Bauer leggings that I buy when they are 50% off (happens quite frequently) that have held up super well and are super comfy!

eta: I do turn all my leggings inside out, wash them on normal cycle with cold or warm water, and hang them up to dry. I have enough that I really should separate them and wash on delicate... 🤔

which leggings do you have? Looks like the Elevate and the salutation are the same material, but the salutation has more seams? Which means more shaping? And Salutation you can get with pockets?

I read up a bit and I would much rather support Athleta than Lululemon as far as the business themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rebcoola said:

You guys made me sure I should never by expensive leggings.  There is no way they would get washed delicate and air dryer. 

I don’t baby my one pair of Athleta leggings at all. They go through the regular wash with jeans and whatever else, and regular dryer cycle, too. Maybe they would last longer if I did, but I just don’t have the bandwidth in life right now to do that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Lulu leggings I loooove, and Target leggings I looove, and Beyond Yoga leggings I looove! 🤣 Most of mine are probably from Fabletics, though. I really like the Mila leggings and capris. My primary requirements: thick enough not to be see through, pockets, and comfy. 

I spent $119 a few weeks ago for a pair of On "cold weather leggings," but they were actually super thin, not compressive at all, and too long for me. Luckily, I was able to return them...so I guess all that rambling to say: I'll buy whatever at any price point if it'll do the job I want. 

I run/cycle/lift/yoga every day, so I generate enough workout laundry that I wash them all together once a week and airdry. 

P.S. Not that you asked, but Lulu Sculpt tanks are my new absolute favorites for exercising. A friend introduced me to them, and I alternate between being very grateful and mad because I want one for every day now. Haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

I'm terrible, laundry is not sorted her at all.  Even bras and stuff.  

I grew up without a tumble dryer,  so air drying is my default. We also had a twin tub, in which you use the same washing water for multiple loads of washing. So you do whites in the hottest water first, then colours, then delicates as the water cools. Surprisingly,  so long as the rinsing water is clean, the clothes get clean too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...