Menu

Rural, Urban or Suburban

saraha

Where are you prepping and what is one thing that surprised you when you got started? I mean, not where where, but what kind of area?

I grew up urban but live on a farm. My husband grew up on a farm. I was surprised at how I thought farmers were automatically a prepper sort to find out that that can be the opposite.

Edited by saraha

I live in a semi-rural area where the majority (but certainly not all) don't believe covid is a big deal and people who take it seriously are mocked.  So not a lot of prepping going on.  We have a lot of Amish in the area and they don't take it seriously either (once again, this is a generalization).

• Like 1

I’m in a mostly rural area. It’s kind of weird. We’re mostly a bunch of half to full acre lot neighborhoods scattered around farms and forested wetlands and gamelands. The nearest grocery store is about 25 minutes away. There is no good pizza.  That’s rural to me, who grew up in suburban North Jersey.

There are preppers here, but also completely unprepared people. More people at least prepare for potential harsh winters if nothing else. I do think more people are more prepared right now.  It isn’t widely discussed unless maybe there are secret groups I don’t know about, lol. Conversations with even my closest prepper friends stay pretty light and casual unless we’re asking for advice and opinions on something very specific.  There’s a lot of “Hey, if you need X or Y, I found a sale.”  Not “I’ve got 10 cases of X in my basement.” Not that I have 10 cases of X in my basement. I don’t have a basement. 😉 

• Like 2

I'm in suburban New Jersey.  😉   My town in particular leans rural but we're surrounded by suburbs/small cities.   We stocked up on some things and try to make sure we restock frequently used things quickly.     We did just get a house hookup for our generator so we can run the well (at least intermittently), we try to keep the cars above 1/2 tank of gas.   If things got really really bad for an extended period of time (like true shtf), we live on a river and have a fireplace.   

If they don't get really bad, we have about 10 large chain grocery stores within 10 miles, as well as tons of smaller and/or ethnic grocery stores.  

• Like 2

We live in a very low COVID incidence area surrounded by Amish and Mennonites. People give the elderly a pass to wear masks, but anyone under 50 gets a side eye for wearing one. We are definitely on the outside. We have religion working against us too, since wearing a mask = lack of faith. We left our church because of our pastors response to coronavirus and to people who wanted to be more careful. 
I have no idea about other preppers, I don’t really interact with a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Rural-ish Texas. I grew up in NY on Long Island, and later lived in the suburbs of Chicago, so Texas is...Oh lord, I don't even know how to describe it. As @Carrie12345 said "There's no good pizza".    

Also like Carrie12345, people here are either hard-core prepper types, (like they've got multiple fire arms and have elaborate rainwater collection systems), or they are completely unprepared.  Someone in another group was pondering why anyone would ever need more than 2 weeks worth of supplies at the most. And I was like "Where were you in March and April? Because March and April are entirely why people should have more than 2 weeks worth of supplies". 

I don't really talk with the local preppers because they also skew towards "Covid is a hoax" (kind of ironic) and QAnon conspiracy theory stuff. I mostly keep my head down and mind my business these days.

• Like 2