Menu

Popping in for a serious question about....Animal Crossing

My teen has been playing it a lot as we have nearly reinstated our March levels of at-homeness, as covid numbers continue to rise. I have to admit that the easy pace of the game and the background soundtrack of ocean waves and breeze is totally relaxing to me. Truly a destressor. I started just reading in the same room as the game was going, but now....I want to go fishing myself!

My question: I understand that only one person can play per game cartridge owner. I’m willing to spring $50, it’s less than an hour of therapy or massage. However, it appears that I’d actually also have to purchase an entirely separate switch system as well ($300-400)? Because that I will not do. 

If that’s true, what do those of you with multiple kids do? How do you keep the peace without going broke?

When I looked into it, I thought it was that more than one person could play but there could only be one *owner* of the island. Everyone else was 2nd class. I agree, they should have just made it so you could have multiple log ins. 

It seems to me that if you buy a switch (like maybe a switch lite?) you wouldn't need to buy a 2nd copy of the game. The data saves on your device, not on the game cartridge. So if you got it from the library, you could play, return the game, use a different cartidge later, and your device would load all your settings.

At least on the other games, that's how it works. So then that $50 toward the $200 lite switch means your new pleasure is "only" $150. Right? :biggrin:

PS. Have you tried the demo for Pikmin 3? You might have more uses. And there's this new family games/board games pack. I'm sure having more devices would have uses. :biggrin:

https://www.amazon.com/Clubhouse-Games-Worldwide-Classics-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B086G2D8BR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YGDCJL6REHD6&dchild=1&keywords=clubhouse+games+switch&qid=1604775999&s=videogames&sprefix=clubhouse%2Cvideogames%2C174&sr=1-1

Edited by PeterPan

I was sharing an Animal Crossing island with my son on his switch in March.  I bought by own switch at the end of July to have my own island in anticipation of the son leaving for college. It has been my best pandemic sanity purchase.  It's the first time I've spent time playing a video game in YEARS.  It is so relaxing and fun.  And has social elements too if you want.  

That said, I had fun sharing an island too.  Compromises needed to be made and only one person can be the  "boss".    But just buying another copy of the game will not get you what you want.  It's a total money making scam on Nintendo's part and I admit to being a sucker.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 2

As others pointed out, one person is the "owner" of the island, but you can have multiple players.  You should be able to create an account and have a character on his island. 

My oldest son is the one who set it all up when we bought it, so he is the "owner", but all 6 of us here have an account and play. Most of the decisions were discussed before being implemented.  Really once your map is set and a few other things are settled, there aren't a lot of big decisions to be made unless you want to move some of the big buildings like the store or the museum.  

Enjoy!  It's a fun little game and wow did the timing of the release work out for Nintendo, LOL.  DH and I said over and over that it was worth every penny of the $60 because it gave the whole family something to get in on when the world was falling apart outside!

• Like 1

My kids have their own switches, but we have a family account on the Nintendo site. I buy a game once digitally, and they all have access to it on their own device. I have seen switches turn up on Facebook marketplace for $100 every now and then.

I can get behind an Animal Crossing thread!  I deleted my account in the recent security snafu, and had to create an account to comment in this thread. Lol. 

I echo everything already said. We have three of us playing, and each have our own Switch. I just got mine this week after watching my teens play. It is pricey, but has been so worth it. We started the pandemic with one Switch, added a second for this game and like I said, I just got one myself. So, so fun. We love sending gifts and messages and visiting each other’s island. 

Thanks for brightening my day!  It’s fun to see I’m part of the cool homeschool moms’ club. 🙂

• Like 2

My switch is the Animal Crossing version, and it’s adorable!  You’ll love it ! @Alte Veste Academy 

If anyone has oranges or cherries, I would greatly appreciate a visit to your island to harvest one!  Lol. I have pears, and my kids gave me peaches and apples. If that helps anyone else, I’d be glad to have you visit me. If I understand correctly, you can do a one time visit.

So fun! 

• Like 3

Well, shoot. I was hoping I had misunderstood and that just getting another cartridge actually would work. Sorry that won’t fix it. It does make sense, though, thanks for the explanation of how the individual’s game data is stored. Sadly another switch isn’t in the budget right now. I also appreciate the suggestions for a switch lite, but my second-half-century eyeballs would fall out of their sockets if I had to play on a mini screen. 

I am cheered to know that I am not the only mom who wants to play! I do not want to share an island - I want my own space to build and decorate as I please - and just want to visit my kid’s island, not share it. I already have to share enough decisions IRL, I sure don’t want to add a virtual layer of it on top!

If I do get hooked up, I would be happy to share tree starts. 

Edited by Seasider too
10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I saw the Animal Crossing post and assumed it was about elk, deer, and bighorns crossing the road. Whoops!

My head went to the panther crossings we have under the highways! 

But now I'm wondering...is this game sort of like the old farm games where you grow stuff, etc? Or SiMS but with animals, or?

I have told my daughter that if she wants to take the switch to college next fall, I'll buy her a new one-but I want to keep my island! Animal crossing was the one thing I asked as a gift for my birthday in June, so I got the digital version of it. 

• Like 3

Animal Crossing is my favorite video game. Actually, it's the only video game I play. I have the Animal Crossing Switch because I'm that big of a fan. I've been playing pretty much since the first game came out 20-ish years ago, and New Horizons has been one of the few bright spots this year. If you can afford a Switch, I highly recommend it. It's fun and relaxing, and my whole family has gotten a lot of entertainment from it this year.

• Like 4

ok, checked out what on earth this is. I had to stop looking....I got WAY to into those farming games when they first came out and was stressing over my crops, etc. It was ridiculous. I'm not allowed to play these kinds of games, lol. (I have a VERY willing suspension of disbelief....I react to puppets as if they are real, and I was a full on adult before I could make myself throw away a stuffed animal without thinking I was doing something cruel and inhumane.)

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can you play animal crossing on a tablet or laptop?  Or just the switch? 

See if nintendo makes apps for your phone/tablet.

2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Only on Nintendo products. 

Nintendo has apps for a *few* of their games. Their Pocket Camp app, to my understanding, is sort of Animal Crossing lite. My ds didn't want AC so I tried Pocket Camp just to see if I liked it. My brain bugged out and you have to be online to play the app versions, sigh. I finally gave up. I doubt it's completely the same thing, but the price is right.

I play on my college daughter’s switch. I paid for the game.  It’s my island. She has a house on my island. But she doesn’t like the game. She thinks it’s boring.  I have friends who have a family switch and everyone has houses on their one shared island. It’s a cause for much strife in many of them. LOL.  

I recommend getting another switch and your own game on it.  Eventually my daughter will be home from college again and likely that will be the end of my using her switch. ACNH is the only game I’ve playing in 20 years. I’m not going to buy another switch just to play this one game. And I don’t want to rebuy the game and start all over either.

edit to add. Send me a PM and I’ll share my switch code if you want to have some help starting your island or just visit. I’m the gal to hit up for DIYs, bells and such. 🙂 I’m a lot more open to friends on switch than social media. LOL

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1
On 11/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, Murphy101 said:

edit to add. Send me a PM and I’ll share my switch code if you want to have some help starting your island or just visit. I’m the gal to hit up for DIYs, bells and such. 🙂 I’m a lot more open to friends on switch than social media. LOL

Just sent you a PM!

• Like 1

I got a Switch from my husband for my birthday....just so I could play Animal Crossing.  The offspring ( too old to call kids) have two Switch consoles and the four of them hang out on their two islands.  However, they come over and hang out on mine for some reason.  I collect presents for them and they come over and deliver DIY projects for me.  

I'm happy to have guests.  I have every fruit except pears and my fossil museum is full so you can dig fossils too.  I don't have all the flower colors but I do have  a good many.

• Like 1

@Seasider too

I was talking to my son about this thread today and had a thought. You might give a game called Stardew Valley a try. You can play it on a variety of platforms. We have it for Switch and PC (via Steam). It’s a farming/fishing/foraging game that has a lot of similarities to Animal Crossing. You can have your own game but invite other players in if you want (on the same platform).