Menu

Cookbook recommendations request + diabetes

bibiche

My cousin was just diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes. His numbers are really bad. He is a terrifically picky eater who has always had a bad diet (lots of meat and convenience foods, few vegetables) and doesn’t really know how to cook. He’s also depressed about the diagnosis.

I’d like to send him a cookbook. I don’t want to send him a cookbook that has a glaring DIABETES in the title unless it is seriously the best cookbook ever. I think that would just make him feel worse. Does anyone know of a good cookbook that would fit the bill?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for some kind of healthy snacks or ingredients I could have sent to him to help him get over the hump I would appreciate it. I don’t know that he can go from eating whatever he wants to preparing healthy meals for himself within something to help him get over the hump.

In ordinary times I would travel to where he is, get his kitchen set up, and give him a crash cooking course, but these aren’t ordinary times. I have offered to pay for a nutritionist if that’s something his insurance won’t cover. I am very concerned about his health.

I am hopeful that some of you will have suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by bibiche
typo

I would look for lowcarb or Keto book.  But, if he's youngish, he'll probably appreciate website recommendatiaons instead.   Dr. Jason Fung specializes kidney issus but has several books about diet and intermittent fasting.  These are more research based rather than cooking books.

Also, there's some interresting Keto inspired monthly krates and cooking clubs - similar to Hello Fresh but for Keto.   Maybe look into that.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Also, there's some interresting Keto inspired monthly krates and cooking clubs - similar to Hello Fresh but for Keto.   Maybe look into that.

That sounds like a really good idea to get him started.  In my experience people who don't know how to cook only learn from cookbooks if they're motivated by wanting to learn to cook.  If he's already depressed about this a cookbook is just going to be overwhelming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1