Menu

Graphic Design Resources?

My middle child has shown some potential interest in graphic design. She's in 6th grade, so a lot of the usual resources that are aimed toward adults won't appeal to her. I'm also looking for software/apps for windows or android that are good for someone just starting out (non-subscription preferred). 

Thanks!

Schoolhouse Teachers: Introduction to Graphic Design -- 17-week (2 days/week) self-paced course for homeschoolers gr. 6-12

I know this is not an app or software, BUT... It's just as important to develop an eye for design and layout as it is to learn software or apps for manipulating images or creating layout. Good graphic design is based on concepts of composition, color, use of type and images, and principles of layout (such as a grid system). And none of that is based on software or computer use. 😉 

ETA -- PS
I see that Schoolhouse Teachers is a pay for access to all classes set up rather than a pay on a course-by-course basis. What you might consider doing is pay for 1 quarter (9 weeks), and do the course 4 days/week instead of 2 days/week, and finish for just the quarterly price of $38. The other options are monthly ($19/month) or annual ($175).

Or, see if there are other courses that would be of high interest to other of your children, and make enough use of the courses on the site to make it worth a 1-year family membership of $175... 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

I have a side interest in graph design (I'm a software engineer by training). I used Lynda.com to learn a lot about graphic design. The site has a "learning path" specifically focused on the subject at https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths/Design/become-a-graphic-designer. The courses cover things like typography, color theory, iconography, and other graphic design topics. Overall, I've really enjoyed the material.

Lynda.com isn't free, but I found that my local library had a subscription. I was able to sign into the service with my library card for free.

• Thanks 1