Menu

What can we, as individual US citizens do to improve the division (non-political)

Ginevra

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I really don't believe anything unless I've seen the underlying primary documentation.  For example, when all the news sources are talking about what Document X said, I will go and read Document X from beginning to end, and I'll also check to make sure it's the same Document X on all the links, because people can doctor Document X.

If I see an iffy video clip, I will try to find the original whole video and get as close as I can to the entire statement without cuts.  But even then, there could be cuts that I'm not aware of.

I check a variety of news sources, especially if something flags my BS filter, which has been developing over 54 years.  If none of the other sources conflicts and something still seems hard to believe, I will ask on a board with a large mix of people.  For example, months ago, I heard that a certain Gov had decided that Covid-positive patients must be put back into the nursing homes they lived in, resulting in many additional infections and deaths.  This sounded too outrageous to be true, so I checked around, and found nothing to dispute it.  Then I came on this board and posted it with the question:  "is this true?"  Turns out it was true.

Hope that helps.

I think it’s great that you read a variety of sources and use primary sources when available, not everyone has the time or inclination to do so. But I would be interested in the names of the variety of sources you use, I might discover a new good one. Also, in your use of a variety of sources, do you think there are any that are generally reliable and relatively unbiased and center? If you had to recommend one or two sources to a friend with limited time or on those days when you are short on time, what are your go to media sources for national and international news? I’ll share mine, the WSJ and BBC print online. I despise all TV news and rarely listen to the radio. When time permits, I also read The NY Times, which I fully acknowledge is left of center, and I use a state library news clips compilation for state and local news. 

I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m picking on you, that is not my intent. But often when people on these boards complain about the MSM, they don’t give alternatives or say which media sources they use and trust the most. Except that a few people have said they prefer right wing talk radio, especially for local news.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Of course she doesn't represent all black people.  No one does.  And all blacks aren't Democrats either.  As tge recent election showed, 16 % voted for the R candidate.  But then, I am not like the racist D candidate who declared that "you ain't black" if you don't vote Dem..

But BLM doesn't represent all blacks either.  Not black police nor many non police too.

16% is, for the record, a small number. I think it’s safe to say that Black support for Democrats is very high.

No one represents everyone, it’s true. But again, support for BLM is high, and I think there is a good number of people for whom the movement strikes a real chord. And I do find that tragic.

Edited by Not_a_Number

16 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

She is not saying that. She’s saying that if you don’t want your life disrupted by protests, you would have probably disapproved of the tactics from back then. It’s easy enough to approve now that your life isn’t being affected.

Since I was actually living in the South at that time and have already spoken how O was against segregation at that time, z lot of you are just trying to slur me as a racist .  I didn't have to be woke like you to injustice - I knew about all sorts of injustices from sn early age.  

The fact that I think I believe in some different policy issues than you does not make me a racist, traditional or not.  Nor does it make others racists just because they have other concerns they are more interested in.

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

16% is, for the record, a small number. I think it’s safe to say that Black support for Democrats is very high.

No one represents everyone, it’s true. But again, support for BLM is high, and I think there is a good number of people for whom the movement strikes a real chord. And I do find that tragic.

It is the highest for a Republ8csn candidate in modern times

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

I think it’s great that you read a variety of sources and use primary sources when available, not everyone has the time or inclination to do so. But I would be interested in the names of the variety of sources you use, I might discover a new good one. Also, in your use of a variety of sources, do you think there are any that are generally reliable and relatively unbiased and center? If you had to recommend one or two sources to a friend with limited time or on those days when you are short on time, what are your go to media sources for national and international news? I’ll share mine, the WSJ and BBC print online. I despise all TV news and rarely listen to the radio. When time permits, I also read The NY Times, which I fully acknowledge is left of center, and I use a state library news clips compilation for state and local news. 

I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m picking on you, that is not my intent. But often when people on these boards complain about the MSM, they don’t give alternatives or say which media sources they use and trust the most. Except that a few people have said they prefer right wing talk radio, especially for local news.

Right now I don't know of any that are unbiased.

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

I read everything from WaPo to NyT to WSj, NY Post, al.com, Federalist, Reuters. AFP. VOA, Reason. Etc etc etc.  

I don't listen to talk radio, conservative or liberal.

• Like 2

We should all be sure to focus on the 1.5/10 black voters who voted a certain way, hang on their every word, for insight into the larger community. Got it. SMH. It’s amazing how much insight one can glean from peering in the windows of someone else’s house.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Since I was actually living in the South at that time and have already spoken how O was against segregation at that time, z lot of you are just trying to slur me as a racist .  I didn't have to be woke like you to injustice - I knew about all sorts of injustices from sn early age.  

The fact that I think I believe in some different policy issues than you does not make me a racist, traditional or not.  Nor does it make others racists just because they have other concerns they are more interested in.

During the sit-ins? You were in the South then? Sorry, just making sure I am understanding.