Menu

Living in a Covid Hotspot

historically accurate

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

Do you think this is true, really? What about places where people are behaving sensibly? We've had a mask mandate since... March, I think? People are wearing them, at least in public. Our positivity is currently 3.7%. It is higher in other parts of the state

Since college dd won't have any in-person classes next semester, we're trying to get permission for her to live at home vs on campus. I'm justifying that to myself and the university on the basis of my expectation that cases are going to rise. But so far her school has kept a very tight ship, with very few cases, so I'm bracing for pushback from them.

The flip side of very few cases at the uni is ab.so.lute.ly.nothing to do on campus. She's eager to get home for the relative excitement of our locked-down life here, lol.

I don't know if anyone is being sensible enough. If you're somewhere where people are behaving sensibly AND you aren't going to have a harsh winter, you might be OK. 

And behaving sensibly means not gathering, not just wearing masks. Masks aren't enough. I know that our daycare and our local homeschooling center opened in NYC, and people are going. Frankly, I don't think that's sensible, given that we don't have a great mechanism for closing down again, even with masks. 

I am hoping to be wrong, but I'm seeing the Northeast positivity creep up with a lot of foreboding. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't know if anyone is being sensible enough. If you're somewhere where people are behaving sensibly AND you aren't going to have a harsh winter, you might be OK. 

And behaving sensibly means not gathering, not just wearing masks. Masks aren't enough. I know that our daycare and our local homeschooling center opened in NYC, and people are going. Frankly, I don't think that's sensible, given that we don't have a great mechanism for closing down again, even with masks. 

I am hoping to be wrong, but I'm seeing the Northeast positivity creep up with a lot of foreboding. 

Yeah, I'm concerned too. We personally are being very careful, staying out of shops mostly, certainly not getting together on social occasions. I wish that I thought there would be another serious lockdown if numbers warrant it. Maybe our governor would, since he has been proactive in general. Unless there's a lockdown, dh has to be at work with people who may not be careful. And he's the most vulnerable of us.

• Sad 3

Just now, Innisfree said:

Yeah, I'm concerned too. We personally are being very careful, staying out of shops mostly, certainly not getting together on social occasions. I wish that I thought there would be another serious lockdown if numbers warrant it. Maybe our governor would, since he has been proactive in general. Unless there's a lockdown, dh has to be at work with people who may not be careful. And he's the most vulnerable of us.

We're basically just staying home. But we're podding with in-laws, and my SIL is going to have a baby... so that means being at the hospital and whatnot, and then the doctor... honestly, it's freaking me out. 

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

We're basically just staying home. But we're podding with in-laws, and my SIL is going to have a baby... so that means being at the hospital and whatnot, and then the doctor... honestly, it's freaking me out. 

Yep. It's scary. If I could, I would go back to March and April lockdown behavior. But the employment situation is out of my control.

Hospitals and doctors in our area have seemed to manage pretty well. We've had to deal with some medical stuff, and it's been all right. That all changes if numbers locally get high, of course.

I hope your SIL is due pretty soon, before things get much worse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Yep. It's scary. If I could, I would go back to March and April lockdown behavior. But the employment situation is out of my control.

Hospitals and doctors in our area have seemed to manage pretty well. We've had to deal with some medical stuff, and it's been all right. That all changes if numbers locally get high, of course.

I hope your SIL is due pretty soon, before things get much worse.

Yeah, this month. Which should hopefully help. I'd kind of like her to quarantine after coming home, since DH's parents are also part of the pod and they are in their 70s, but I don't know if they would. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

Our town is so circumspect about all of this. So, the high school closed for the next three days. They don't have enough subs to cover all of the teachers that are out. They made a point on their website to say it was flu, strep, etc. not Covid or not just Covid.  But our football team is in the playoffs and the big community pep rally was supposed to tomorrow and it has been canceled. Our church youth group has decided to cancel, so that is telling me there must be Covid going around, but who knows. I've been stalking the TEA, but it always shows our district with 1 cumulative case, but I know several others that have had it.  Ughh.

That story they're selling is mighty fishy. Like stinks like fish left out for three days fishy. 🐟 When the people who keep insisting it's all NBD shut things down, it's likely bad...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cintinative said:

Our numbers today were just posted. Frightening!!! over 6500 cases, 386 new hospitalizations!! 

I know. Remember when 1500 sounded like a lot?

DeWine is having a briefing tomorrow at 5:30 about it.  I wonder what he is going to say.  I like him and he’s handled this fairly well IMO, but I have to admit that I have been rolling my eyes lately at his “We’re Ohioans. We can do this.” speech.  Too many people aren’t taking this seriously at all and the rural areas have such low masking.

(I am in the Columbus area, BTW)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Hay, I am in Victoria, we did the hard work to get where we are. Total lockdown for months.

13 days with 0 cases

It’s nice to know that there are places in the world where citizens are willing to accept the sacrifice needed to get there. Sincerely, it’s comforting to know that.   

(Not saying you didn’t see grumbling or a lot of complaints, but in the US a frickin’ state mandate to wear a paper mask in public is seen as some sort of Absolute Government Control, the Step Right Before They Permanently Remove Your Children and Rape Your Wife.) 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

They use my husband for his knowledge (like this week!) but we can't escape to Melbourne?!?!  I see the post lockdown FB stuff and how things are getting back to normal and I want to cry.

New Zealand is packing stadiums for sport events. Because they can. 

And, yes, it helps that they’re an island, but let’s not pretend that management and citizen compliance haven’t played extremely significant roles. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, edelweiss said:

I know. Remember when 1500 sounded like a lot?

DeWine is having a briefing tomorrow at 5:30 about it.  I wonder what he is going to say.  I like him and he’s handled this fairly well IMO, but I have to admit that I have been rolling my eyes lately at his “We’re Ohioans. We can do this.” speech.  Too many people aren’t taking this seriously at all and the rural areas have such low masking.

(I am in the Columbus area, BTW)

I really wonder what he is going to say also. Wagging his finger and telling us all to do better is not working.  But I really can't imagine what he will do if most of the spread is in people's homes and small gatherings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I really wonder what he is going to say also. Wagging his finger and telling us all to do better is not working.  But I really can't imagine what he will do if most of the spread is in people's homes and small gatherings.

I agree.  He keeps emphasizing that the spread isn't being caused by schools or businesses, so I don't see him shutting things down.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do they know what it IS being caused by? In NY, businesses do seem to be a problem.

The problem is here, that they don't know. It's literally everywhere. So a contact tracer is going to have a really hard time finding where it was picked up. Most of the spread they do know about is from small gatherings in people's homes, family gatherings, weddings, funerals, etc.  Mostly in the cases that are known, the people were not masked or not masked for some portion (let their guard down, eating together, etc.) Other than that, it is a huge unknown.  It's hard to wrap your mind around but there are people I know who are socializing with someone different nearly every day. If they were to come down with COVID, and had to identify who they were with or where they were over the prior fourteen days, it would be an exhaustive list.  I am no expert, but I would think contact tracing is ridiculous right now.   I just don't know many people that are really limiting their activities outside the home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, cintinative said:

The problem is here, that they don't know. It's literally everywhere. So a contact tracer is going to have a really hard time finding where it was picked up. Most of the spread they do know about is from small gatherings in people's homes, family gatherings, weddings, funerals, etc.  Mostly in the cases that are known, the people were not masked or not masked for some portion (let their guard down, eating together, etc.) Other than that, it is a huge unknown.  It's hard to wrap your mind around but there are people I know who are socializing with someone different nearly every day. If they were to come down with COVID, and had to identify who they were with or where they were over the prior fourteen days, it would be an exhaustive list.  I am no expert, but I would think contact tracing is ridiculous right now.   I just don't know many people that are really limiting their activities outside the home. 

Ugh. Yeah, I can see how that would make contact tracing... challenging. 

The events I hear about here are superspreader events like weddings and whatnot, although gatherings in the home, too. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Exactly this.  My county announced yesterday that our contract tracers are impossibly behind.  They are going to mail packets asking for information from those testing positive because they cannot keep up with phone calls 

I am wondering if Gov. Dewine will shut down school sports or even schools again?  That would probably get everyone's attention.  

I am in a real mess with my son's school.  Basketball parent's meeting last night.  50+ people.  I was the only one masked.  No accommodation during games being made . .no attendance limits for games  at our school, no masks, nothing.  They did mention that we would have to follow rules at other schools.  Lots of eye-rolling in response to that.  I went back to my car and cried.  I had been hoping for anything.  My son will start varsity this year . . .

• Sad 12

2 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Exactly this.  My county announced yesterday that our contract tracers are impossibly behind.  They are going to mail packets asking for information from those testing positive because they cannot keep up with phone calls 

I am wondering if Gov. Dewine will shut down school sports or even schools again?  That would probably get everyone's attention.  

I am in a real mess with my son's school.  Basketball parent's meeting last night.  50+ people.  I was the only one masked.  No accommodation during games being made . .no attendance limits for games  at our school, no masks, nothing.  They did mention that we would have to follow rules at other schools.  Lots of eye-rolling in response to that.  I went back to my car and cried.  I had been hoping for anything.  My son will start varsity this year . . .

I’m so sorry you had this experience. 

There is a very real, widespread ugliness in America that has been unveiled by this pandemic. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

We just got kicked back to phase one.  People got lax and our rate crept above 5 % again. Some schools had planned to open in-person in November, but that got bumped. I’m reading yesterday’s round of warnings as “Don’t even think about large, interstate holiday gatherings.  You’re all grounded.” 

image.thumb.jpeg.255b5ecf467fa1a0328764d6e06a704b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

51 minutes ago, JanOH said:

He has said repeatedly that the school decisions will be in the school's hands. That said, if our local public goes virtual, so does youth group, so selfishly that would make our decision easier.  Sending up prayers for you. I think your son is at a private school--it's so hard for me to understand the attitude, especially in a school that professes faith.  =(

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Oh, I am sorry 😞 . How negligent.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

We just got kicked back to phase one.  People got lax and our rate crept above 5 % again. Some schools had planned to open in-person in November, but that got bumped. I’m reading yesterday’s round of warnings as “Don’t even think about large, interstate holiday gatherings.  You’re all grounded.” 

image.thumb.jpeg.255b5ecf467fa1a0328764d6e06a704b.jpeg

Where are you?

And this is what I don't get - where I am and you are, a 5% rate gets us Danger Danger we're locking down, and other people here are "things are fine where we are; our rate is only 8%".  FTR, I'm with the 5% is Danger Danger, and am glad to be in a place where that's the case.  This thing snowballs so quickly; you have to get ahead of it.  Early warning is where it's at...

• Like 8

We are in a pause/mini-lockdown again also.  We’re at almost 11% case positivity and 190 cases/100k. We have mandatory public masking but people are socializing in their homes without them. The latest—-my daughter’s youth group (which she hasn’t attended since February) is gathering to write thank you notes to first responders. WTH?!! 

• Confused 8
  • Sad 5

43 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Where are you?

And this is what I don't get - where I am and you are, a 5% rate gets us Danger Danger we're locking down, and other people here are "things are fine where we are; our rate is only 8%".  FTR, I'm with the 5% is Danger Danger, and am glad to be in a place where that's the case.  This thing snowballs so quickly; you have to get ahead of it.  Early warning is where it's at...

Well, i'm in one of those "it's fine" states..and it is because our governor is a crazy man who seems to be thinking herd immunity, let er rip. 

He recently made it illegal for the counties to enforce mask mandates, if that tells you how wrong headed he is. And our state has so many elderly, it's bonkers. 

My county is at 10% (although they haven't posted todays numbers yet...they usually go up at 11am), state over 8%, and of those people getting it we have a 3% hospitalization rate and 1% fatality rate. 

Oh and we have NO system determining when or if we lock anything down. No concrete numbers to base decisions on. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Where are you?

I’m in Maryland. I feel like our governor has mostly taken it seriously. Some counties and schools have had stricter mandates than state guidelines, so he does get to take credit when he’s governing an educated population that is inclined to listen to scientists. There was one briefing where he expressed displeasure at school closings (the DAY before school started), but it really wasn’t up to him. I think he was hedging his Republican bets with that comment. Still, he’s done a relatively good job delivering clear guidelines that put public health first. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

It’s nice to know that there are places in the world where citizens are willing to accept the sacrifice needed to get there. Sincerely, it’s comforting to know that.   

(Not saying you didn’t see grumbling or a lot of complaints, but in the US a frickin’ state mandate to wear a paper mask in public is seen as some sort of Absolute Government Control, the Step Right Before They Permanently Remove Your Children and Rape Your Wife.) 

People talk about these shutdowns dragging on and on...no, they haven't dragged on. Our state was very strict, then loosened up quite a bit. We're probably going back into strict lockdowns as our numbers are horrible.

Neighboring state (I'm on the border) never had anything in place. Only just yesterday announced a joke of a mask mandate--things like wear a mask indoors if there are 25+ people present. The hospitals and ICUs there are in fact being overrun but this is the best the governor came up with. 

People seem to think that hearing about wearing masks for 8 months means they've been wearing masks for 8 months. No, that's not how that works. If they had been we would have maybe avoided this eventual outcome. 

People are just a bunch of selfish, impulsive, impatient animals. Sorry, I know I am preaching to the choir here. I just got in another FB fight about this so I'm all riled up. I need to stay off that horrible site. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

On 11/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, TCB said:

It makes me wonder what some people think when they see other countries implementing stringent measures now, if those people are even paying attention. Do they think that virtually the whole rest of the world is over-reacting or stupid? You would think that it might give them some qualms when it is business as usual where they are, but maybe not?

I know a lot of people in my extended family are definitely not paying attention - they barely pay any attention to what's going on right here, and they're that much less concerned about the rest of the world. They do think almost any reaction at all is an over-reaction, and they are vocal about it being just like the flu and we don't do anything for the flu. 

Our state mandates have worked pretty well in spite of lots of resistance (we used to be a major hot spot), and people are still calling the governor an idiot who only wants to wreck the economy.   

I'm freaking sick of the restrictions myself, and I understand that reasonable people can make different decisions about some things, but for heaven's sake, people! Put a little effort into it. 

The other thing I am hearing is that, despite visible evidence to the contrary, a disturbing number of people are saying that 'no one' is reporting on, discussing, or doing anything related to Covid since election day. That Covid 'vanished' after the election, because it was never a real threat to begin with.  

If that's the attitude, and if there is a winter resurgence, I can see it getting very bad again here. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Well, i'm in one of those "it's fine" states..and it is because our governor is a crazy man who seems to be thinking herd immunity, let er rip. 

He recently made it illegal for the counties to enforce mask mandates, if that tells you how wrong headed he is. And our state has so many elderly, it's bonkers. 

Ah, yes, Ron "Thanos" Desantis. Life motto: Don't confuse me with the facts! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

We in TX of the go big or go home slogan have the dubious honor of hitting a million COVID cases. 

We have a mask mandate since when, wherever I go which is hardly I see masks, so we hunker down deeper. 

Right now the issue is El Paso which is getting hit very hard. In Houston, we're the second lightest color on the hot spot map, and I think DFW is also doing pretty well.

In Harris county, the mask mandate is still in place and I haven't seen anyone unmasked in my forays into our local super markets. I think people got sufficiently scared this summer to respect the rules, at least for now...

• Like 1

I talked to one of the most loving and kind people yesterday who, although he does wear an uncomfortable mask all day at work cause he is supposed to, thinks it is all overblown and the flu. 

This guy has taken in many kids not his own, has helped me many times, but he is being told over and over by people around him, talk radio, etc that it is just the flu or the death certificates say Covid but really they had other things listed to and his personal experience was an elderly man who just had cold symptoms so that reenforces it. 

He isn't hateful though. He has taken care of 7 kids not his own over the years. He has helped me time and again.  He has helped homeless people and is just over all a really great guy.

He isn't nasty to resale employees though or anything like that. He is simply being given a very consistent message that it is being politicized. He has no tools to analyze that. He dropped out of high school but is very very smart. He is a problem solver and makes well over 6 figures. He is ignorant in this particular  area and does not have the tools to analyze these very abstract concepts that he has never studied nor does he have the background to vet sources. He is  not stupid or evil. 

I'm angry at people who have more knowledge and have lied and that includes the leader of this country. The talk show hosts who pretend they know more than they do while a guy who had to put in 12-20 hour days trying to figure out how to run a seafood plant in the middle of a pandemic and follow health service orders. He doesn't have time to sit around on forums and research on the internet all day doing what is supposed to be the journalist's jobs. He has his own job. 

Just to give you another perspective.

• Like 14

I think the disconnect is two-part:

1. The leaders of the "who cares about COVID" movement really don't care about their fellow human beings, and see the COVID death rate as being a way to rid us of extra social security/Medicare payments, ACA premium subsidies, etc.  Sociopaths and psychopaths.

2. The masses who follow them blindly, and don't pay attention to anything outside of their faux-"news" media bubble so don't know what's going on in the rest of the world - or even the reality in our own country.  Willful ignorance.

We have had less than 5 cases in any of our local towns until yesterday.  A letter went home from the local school district - one case in one high school, and another in a different town's elementary school.  They are starting distance learning again tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, cintinative said:

This is just a vent, but if you were to read the comments on our governor's facebook page (there was a video yesterday with interviews of the hospital area leads for the state, for example), it would make your skin crawl. I try to remind myself that those are not representative of everyone, but it is truly heartbreaking to see so little compassion for both those who are sick and those who are in various roles in healthcare that are exposed on a regular basis.  

Just repeat after me.... stay away from the comments....stay away from the comments....(this is me talking to myself EVERY time I start reading comments. It's never good  😧).  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, frogger said:

angry at people who have more knowledge and have lied and that includes the leader of this country. The talk show hosts who pretend they know more than they do while a guy who had to put in 12-20 hour days trying to figure out how to run a seafood plant in the middle of a pandemic and follow health service orders. He doesn't have time to sit around on forums and research on the internet all day doing what is supposed to be the journalist's jobs. He has his own job. 

This exactly.

There are smart people being paid a lot of money to spread disinformation. They are purposely lying to people. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Denise in IN said:

Just repeat after me.... stay away from the comments....stay away from the comments....(this is me talking to myself EVERY time I start reading comments. It's never good  😧).  

I had a weird experience recently where I read the comments in the news and found someone I know commenting.  This person is completely nuts in person.  It made me wonder how many of the people commenting on random news stories are like her and if that’s why the comments are so awful.

• Like 5

I talked to one of the most loving and kind people yesterday who, although he does wear an uncomfortable mask all day at work cause he is supposed to, thinks it is all overblown and the flu. 

This guy has taken in many kids not his own, has helped me many times, but he is being told over and over by people around him, talk radio, etc that it is just the flu or the death certificates say Covid but really they had other things listed to and his personal experience was an elderly man who just had cold symptoms so that reenforces it. 

He isn't hateful though. He has taken care of 7 kids not his own over the years. He has helped me time and again.  He has helped homeless people and is just over all a really great guy.

He isn't nasty to resale employees though or anything like that. He is simply being given a very consistent message that it is being politicized. He has no tools to analyze that. He dropped out of high school but is very very smart. He is a problem solver and makes well over 6 figures. He is ignorant in this particular  area and does not have the tools to analyze these very abstract concepts that he has never studied nor does he have the background to vet sources. He is  not stupid or evil. 

I'm angry at people who have more knowledge and have lied and that includes the leader of this country. The talk show hosts who pretend they know more than they do while a guy who had to put in 12-20 hour days trying to figure out how to run a seafood plant in the middle of a pandemic and follow health service orders. He doesn't have time to sit around on forums and research on the internet all day doing what is supposed to be the journalist's jobs. He has his own job. 

Yep.  So true.

Yeah, I don't waste time being angry at people who are simply following someone they think is trustworthy. Mind you, I may think their judgment is faulty, but then lots of people's is. Sometimes, it's just dumb luck you decide to follow the person who turns out to be right. 

So yeah. I get angry at the people who OUGHT to know better. Not the people who listen to them. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I don't waste time being angry at people who are simply following someone they think is trustworthy. Mind you, I may think their judgment is faulty, but then lots of people's is. Sometimes, it's just dumb luck you decide to follow the person who turns out to be right. 

So yeah. I get angry at the people who OUGHT to know better. Not the people who listen to them. 

I have to remind myself at times because it can be exasperating! We decided not to argue and he wished me a happy Birthday. Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, cintinative said:

my youngest is in tears because I said no youth group. This STINKS. 

I was thinking about the fact that our strict lockdown has actually made things EASIER in some ways. We didn't leave the house almost at all until May or June. We then went and hung out with my in-laws, and it was like a very special present. And now we also make sure to go to the park, which also feels like a present, lol, and my SIL is here as well as DH's parents... they all feel like delightful extras and not restrictions. 

Otherwise, the whiplash kind of gets you 😞 . 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, kand said:

Do you have any other information about this? Were there any indoor after parties, or anything else, or does it seem like the transmission truly happened outside? I keep hearing about cases where they think outdoor transmission is happening, but I can’t seem to get enough information to confirm and see the circumstances.  We only ever see anyone outside, and even then we wear masks, but I’m still hungry for more data on what is and isn’t safe outdoors. I do wonder about the fire itself. There was talk at one point about the virus being able to adhere to smoke particles and travel and that it might actually be worse near campfires. That will be important to know as we head into winter with everyone preparing their backyard fire pits.

Well, ugh.  I also now need more information about this, as I've spent the last three days preparing an area in the yard for a fire pit...

Sounds like at the very least we should keep our masks on while around the fire pit...  will help combat both virus exhalation and smoke inhalation...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1