Menu

Hello, friends!

Hi!!! I have no idea if you'd remember me or not, but I've missed seeing you around. It's so good to hear from you! 

I don't think you'd know me enough to share an update on my life, LOL, but wanted to say hi anyway 🙂 My kids are similar ages to yours....the 15 yr old started high school this year, the 23 yr old is still plugging along in college, probably changing his major, but happy and in a really good spot with his mental health; the 19 yr old is begrudgingly working through college and writing freelance fiction on the side, which took us by surprise, but hey, cool. Everyone is living at home, because college is all online anyway and so they are here, and my sister is currently staying with us after an absolute upheaval in her life. 

DH is working from home still b/c of Covid, and I am teaching at a homeschool co-op, in person, K, 1st, and 2nd grades (which I love), and "tutoring" a 4 yr old for at-home PreK and so in a weird twist, I'm "busier" than DH is these days......life is weird. 

Anyway, good to hear from you!! Hugs, prayers, and all that for all the stuff.  

• Like 2

Hi!  Good to see you!  I was perkybunch, not sure if you remember me.  I'm in South Texas.  Dd is now a college sophomore in Pre-Nursing and doing great!  Living at home because the university is in our home town.  

Good to hear about your kiddos!  

Hope you keep stopping by!

(I still remember when Lanny said you could change your name to K in Sunny Amarillo.)

• Like 2

Hi! So glad you popped in and gave an update. I don't know if it was a coincidence or if you're aware that there was a "posters we miss" not long ago. You were definitely named as one of the people who are missed. 

We have our 23yo at home; he lost his job to Covid. Parenting a young adult is sooo hard! Parenting a young adult in the time of Covid is even harder. 

Glad to hear you're all doing relatively well.

• Like 5

KINSA!

So glad to see you today. We had a thread about people we missed and you were on it. Somehow it got deleted, but it was there. Many people wondered about your sister's kids and how they were all doing.

Don't know if you remember me. My oldest is married and set to graduate from university in the Spring. She had some stuff happen that shuffled her school around and it's taking an extra year to wrap it up, but no big deal. Dd18 is a freshman, living at home, taking online classes at the nearby university. She probably will be around for most of her college stuff, living at home. Dd 15 is a sophomore at our virtual school. Ds12 is in the 7th grade and is so. very. 12. Sigh. But overall we're doing well.

Thanks for the update! Welcome back!

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

Welcome back!!!!  Very happy to hear your update.  

My update-  dd2 graduated from college, got employment as a test software engineer (for a defense contractor though her department works mostly on in house software) in Sept 19 and was so happy to move to out of the office work at the same company due to COVID-- she kept getting anaphalctic reactions from co-workers and maintenance people- she is super allergic to citrus products.  DD1 is still mostly a text editor at a defense contractor but also has some analyst work now too--- also been working from home since mid March.  DS recently got a great permanent online position with a pharmacy benefits company and he is enjoying it.

Dh and I recently celebrated out 35th anniversary.  As to me, my health is continuing to decline but I am still chugging along and trying to make the best of everything.

And yes, we really want to know about your sister's kids.  That situation was so worrisome.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kinsa said:

Long time, no chat!  I had a few extra minutes this morning, so I thought I'd log on and see what's up in this "blast from my past" message board.

We are still in Amarillo.   I certainly have a love-hate relationship with the house we bought.  It was billed as "move-in ready".  Let me just say, it was not.  We have spent a boatload of both money and time fixing and repairing this house, and we're not even close to being done.  I love the house for the potential it has, but I hate that it is a money pit in constant need of repair.

I'm still homeschooling my two youngest boys.  My "baby" is now a high schooler, 9th grade this year.  We are in the throes of the teen years, and that's all I'll say about that.  LOL

My special-needs kiddo is rounding the bend to the age of 18.  Moving here has been a blessing for him.  He has been able to join the Special Olympics (which he LOVES), right now he's in an "inclusive" drama class, and he's found a special-needs summer camp that he loves.  We were also able to plug in to the vocational rehab program to find him employment.  He was a bagger at the local grocery store until COVID hit the area.  He would like to return to his job, but we're waiting it out right for now.

My 20yo.... ay yi yi... He did a year of college and did really well, making all A's and B's.  Then he decided he didn't want to be in college anymore.  So he returned to the Big Bend area and returned to his job of being a river guide on the Rio Grande - and he loves it.  I figure that for now, during this coronavirus mess, he might as well not be in college.  However, some day he's going to have to come up with a long-term plan.  But for now, it's all good.

My 22yo... ay yi yi again... This is the boy that gives me grey hair.  He actually did graduate college this past spring - with honors, no less.  However, he got himself into a stupid legal mess in 2019 that we're still trying to sort out.  In the meantime, he's basically unemployable in the field he got his degree in and in the type of jobs he wants.  In the meantime, he's got a managerial job with Target and making a decent-enough living.  At least he's off our payroll.  😛 He's still a good kid, but he just did a superbly stupid thing and now he's paying the piper for it.

My 24yo twins... They both graduated college in 2018 and spent two years trying to find viable employment.  Between the tow of them, they applied to hundreds of jobs. All they were able to get were menial labor jobs for $10/hour.  Better than nothing - and the humbling experience certainly hasn't hurt them - but they both ultimately decided to join the military.  They are both at Air Force basic training right now.  (Yes, they could've gone the officer route, but they are better suited at this time for enlisted.)  So that's what they're up to these days.  They are third generation Air Force.  So proud. 🙂

As for me... I'm just plugging along.  I've put on 20 pounds from all the malarkey since we moved here two years ago.  Trying to remedy that right now.  And I got myself a dog.  And I've been growing out my hair from a pixie cut to below my shoulders now.  And dh and I celebrated our 25th anniversary last year.  Hmm... that's about all I can think of that's noteworthy.

What about you all?  Who's still around here whom I would know?  Whatcha up to?

Speaking of grey hair, there has been much discussion in your absence speculating on whether (or not) you've had a sufficient supply of So Silver shampoo (or similar) during the pandemic to keep your locks looking shimmeringly silvery?

I've been with the optimists on this one. Please ally our fears and say it is so!

And let it grow.

Bill (a sibling in silver)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Yay!  I’m so glad you’re well!

last I remember, we had trending-towards-good news about your sister and then you were on your way to Amarillo and disappeared and everyone just kind of hoped things were going well and I’m glad they seem to be!

• Like 2

Hi Kinsa! 

Great to see you here and hear your updates! I have a challenging boy a few years younger than your youngest and it is always encouraging to hear from moms of older boys and to hear how those young men find their way in the world. 

• Like 1

Happy to see your update after following the move to Big Bend, the Target store photo, how to get ice cream there, and even the pixie cut. I don't think you'd remember anything about me, but I did enjoy reading your update.

My youngest graduates from public high school this year and is applying to colleges. Middle dd is doing her junior year of college from home so far--there's a chance she could be back on campus in spring. Oldest disabled dd lives at home, doesn't get out much due to Covid (can't mask). Pets are happy to have a full house. I work in a high school as an EA helping with math--I'm all online this semester, possibly hybrid next semester.

Join us on Well-Trained Body thread or 20 in 20 thread for encouragement on movement/exercise and returning to healthy habits.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kinsa said:

Long time, no chat!  I had a few extra minutes this morning, so I thought I'd log on and see what's up in this "blast from my past" message board.

We are still in Amarillo.   I certainly have a love-hate relationship with the house we bought.  It was billed as "move-in ready".  Let me just say, it was not.  We have spent a boatload of both money and time fixing and repairing this house, and we're not even close to being done.  I love the house for the potential it has, but I hate that it is a money pit in constant need of repair.

I'm still homeschooling my two youngest boys.  My "baby" is now a high schooler, 9th grade this year.  We are in the throes of the teen years, and that's all I'll say about that.  LOL

My special-needs kiddo is rounding the bend to the age of 18.  Moving here has been a blessing for him.  He has been able to join the Special Olympics (which he LOVES), right now he's in an "inclusive" drama class, and he's found a special-needs summer camp that he loves.  We were also able to plug in to the vocational rehab program to find him employment.  He was a bagger at the local grocery store until COVID hit the area.  He would like to return to his job, but we're waiting it out right for now.

My 20yo.... ay yi yi... He did a year of college and did really well, making all A's and B's.  Then he decided he didn't want to be in college anymore.  So he returned to the Big Bend area and returned to his job of being a river guide on the Rio Grande - and he loves it.  I figure that for now, during this coronavirus mess, he might as well not be in college.  However, some day he's going to have to come up with a long-term plan.  But for now, it's all good.

My 22yo... ay yi yi again... This is the boy that gives me grey hair.  He actually did graduate college this past spring - with honors, no less.  However, he got himself into a stupid legal mess in 2019 that we're still trying to sort out.  In the meantime, he's basically unemployable in the field he got his degree in and in the type of jobs he wants.  In the meantime, he's got a managerial job with Target and making a decent-enough living.  At least he's off our payroll.  😛 He's still a good kid, but he just did a superbly stupid thing and now he's paying the piper for it.

My 24yo twins... They both graduated college in 2018 and spent two years trying to find viable employment.  Between the tow of them, they applied to hundreds of jobs. All they were able to get were menial labor jobs for $10/hour.  Better than nothing - and the humbling experience certainly hasn't hurt them - but they both ultimately decided to join the military.  They are both at Air Force basic training right now.  (Yes, they could've gone the officer route, but they are better suited at this time for enlisted.)  So that's what they're up to these days.  They are third generation Air Force.  So proud. 🙂

As for me... I'm just plugging along.  I've put on 20 pounds from all the malarkey since we moved here two years ago.  Trying to remedy that right now.  And I got myself a dog.  And I've been growing out my hair from a pixie cut to below my shoulders now.  And dh and I celebrated our 25th anniversary last year.  Hmm... that's about all I can think of that's noteworthy.

What about you all?  Who's still around here whom I would know?  Whatcha up to?

It's so good to hear from you!! It's like a breath of fresh air.

My youngest daughter had civil wedding ceremony in our backyard this summer.  We had a church wedding planned, but you know how that went. 🙂  She is hoping to have a church ceremony next summer.  

I'm now watching my two oldest grandchildren 2x per week.  I help with school duties.  My daughter opted to pull them from public school because they were going to require even her Kintergardener to be in front of the computer all day.  That's a hard no.  They found an online homeschool group that helps with instruction since mom and dad both work (mom in person and dad virutally).   It's actually rather refreshing because both kids read very well.  It's SO much easier to homeschool.  

My youngest granddaughter (different parents) turned one over the summer.  She is afraid and overwhelmed by people since she's been quarantined nearly 100% of the time with just her parents.  They came to family vaca in Aug. but left after 2 days.  She wasn't real happy with people... She loved our dog though 💗

I think your son, who dropped out of college, made the right choice this year.  College has been....difficult for my youngest.  He's actually planning to drop out too.  He's wants to join a technical school and get a welding certification.    He is so DONE with school and college.  It doesn't help that he had his 4th concussion at the end of Feb. and he's been dealing with repercussions from that ever since.   He's been to PT (helped with severe headaches and eye movement) and now a neurologist (helping with ticks and vocalizations that started this summer).  Brain scans revealed he is in fight-or-flight mode 100% of the time.  He already has test and school anxiety, so it's been much worse. Neuro told him to drop down to 3 classes immediately. Fortunately, that was in the first week of school so we got our money back.  But, he's struggling with online education and teachers are not helping (too long to write about but a VERY frustrating experience).  He just dropped another class yesterday.  It's been a mixed blessing that he's been home.  Things could have been very bad if he was away at college and dealing with these health/emotional issues alone.  He's been able to keep his neuro therapy appts. and we can keep a closer eye on his emotional state.  But, being online 100% has made things worse too.  He's looking to start certification in Dec. or January.   I'm excited for him but sad it has to be this way. 

I hope your 22yr old gets his legal issues sorted out.  

• Like 3

Hi Kinsa! We were definitely just talking about you around here recently when talking about posters we have not seen in a while. 

I’m glad to hear an update on your kiddos. I don’t know if an update on mine would be meaningful to you or not, but they are doing fine. No homeschooled kids anymore, though with COVID, my youngest (10th g) is at home doing virtual public school. 

• Like 2

Hi Kinsa! It's so nice to get an update from you. It sounds like  you're busy! We've had a money-pit house before... no fun. All is well for my family. Younger ds works through Voc Rehab too. He's been off since March. It's hard finding enough for him to do that's safe but it's how it needs to be right now. 

• Like 2

So glad you live where you have easy access to ice cream now! And a human for a mayor!

My oldest is working as a vet assistant and loving it. DD10 is reading right at grade level and is am amazing cook. DS8 is dealing with some PANDAS issues now and then, and Celiac. He also has a broken arm right now, sigh. And DD3 has a HUGE vocabulary and is such a joy in this crazy world!

Oh, and I think we adopted a goldendoodle/wolf hybrid cross as a friend for our crazy hound dog (who has settled down into a good dog, thankfully). 

• Like 1

@Kinsa so glad to "see" you.  First of all, Amarillo....NW Texas Hospital..is the birth place of my older daughter.  I took her there to see where she was born several years ago.  We did Palo Dura Canyon, etc.

My ds is 32.  Special needs.  Works as a dishwasher part time but vivid hits that hard in our area but he is still volunteering 2-3 days a week for a local food pantry/thrift store/ furniture ministry.

My older dd is 25.  She is still in her special ed vocational program and now works 2 days a week at a local factory (through the school) and LOVES it.

My youngest dd was married last fall to a young man she met at special Olympics and they now live about 2 miles from me.  He had a major leg break this summer and she had an emergency appendectomy this morning.

I am not a single parent (read the blog below for why).  I am now working in a special ed program for young adults 18-26 with cognitive impairment and/or autism.  

I remember you blog so well when you were traveling the country in the motorhome.  How many years ago was that?

Hope you can pop in more often.

• Like 1

Glad to ‘see’ you!

I have been SIP at the cabin for most of this year, except for brief visits to the Bay Area to help my dad with doctor appointments as he is blind and my mom is too frail to drive anymore.  The last trip ended up lasting almost a month as he had a bad fall and needed more hands on support, but that is resolved now.  DH has been back and forth but cannot WFH as well as I can, so we are together about 1/3 of the time.  DD graduated from college a couple of years ago (!) and is very happy in Chicago.

It’s been a challenging year with two deaths in the family and a lot of other losses.  Still, I feel fortunate that being up in the mountains has enabled me to make some very positive health changes and show some good results.  There is something about pine air that just gives me thrills, and never gets old.  It’s downright nourishing.

• Like 2

Waving hello! 

So good to hear from you, Kinsa. Sorry to hear about the rough bumps -- seems like there has been a LOT of that going around for a lot of young people. 😢

We've had non-standard paths here, as well -- you can see what our 2 DSs have been doing since graduating from homeschool high school -- coming up on 10 years ago this spring for DS#1 !! 😱 But overall, we're doing well.

Hope your sister and her dreadful custody battle finally resolved well for her and her children. That was so very painful. Many hugs to you all about that.

A number of us alumna moms pop in and out from time to time on the Book A Week thread on the Chat Board, in case you'd like to see some familiar faces. All the best! Warm regards, Lori D.

• Like 1