Menu

walking shoes vs running shoes?

ktgrok

Back in the 80s or 90s when power walking was a big thing there was a big deal made over making sure you bought walking shoes for walking, not running shoes. Somthing about how they were made, how the foot hit the ground, I don't know. 

Is this still a thing? I do way more walking than running, and need new shoes. I also would be wearing them for the walk at home videos, which have side steps, grapevines, kicks, etc so more dance than strictly walking. 

• Thanks 1

When I've asked in the athletic shoe stores, they've all pooh-poohed 'walking' shoes and emphatically insisted I should get good quality running shoes, even if I only ever walk in them.  That's at least three different stores. The walking shoes are also $$$, so I don't think that's it?

Curious what others have heard.

ETA: The most recent pairs I got are stabilized for lateral as well as forward motion, but is still considered a 'running' shoe. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

You might see if there's a running store near you that does fittings. Around here, we have two chains that do fittings. One does ok, but the other blows it off the charts, making video of you walking on a treadmill, doing scans, etc. They can tell you the type of shoes you need, etc. 

Ironically, when I went in they put me in *zero drop* shoes, something I never would have thought of and didn't realize I'd like. I had previously been in stabilizing shoes and they said they were making my problems worse. So you only want what you need. They also made custom inserts. 

• Like 1

I think if they are comfortable it is okay to walk in running shoes.   Especially if you aren’t trying to win a walking race but only need comfort for fitness. 

I discovered I can’t skip in my Altra hiking type shoes because the treads don’t allow it, not because I forgot how.

Similarly, dance like movement might be best in a shoe with a bottom that allows it and not too much heel 

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You might see if there's a running store near you that does fittings. Around here, we have two chains that do fittings. One does ok, but the other blows it off the charts, making video of you walking on a treadmill, doing scans, etc. They can tell you the type of shoes you need, etc. 

If possible given CV19 that’s a good idea.

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ironically, when I went in they put me in *zero drop* shoes, something I never would have thought of and didn't realize I'd like.

Altra, Altra rah rah rah!

• Like 1

I agree with everyone above.  I think there is a difference between "standing shoes" that would be ideal for a profession on your feet all day and running shoes, but I think walking shoes were sort of a marketing gimmick.  

I am also on the zero drop bandwagon.  I wear altras to run in, but I also wear them if I am going to be out walking all day, like tomorrow I have to haul a kid to Zurich and back in a backpack so I'll be putting my altras to non-running use.  I wear Lem's most of the time when i'm walking but not "carrying", but they are quite minimalist and definitely not for everyone.  Keen sandals are still by far my favorite footwear, and I wish I could wear them all year long.  🙂  

• Like 2

So I have two pairs of sneakers.  One is Ryka, for Zumba, because I kept getting caught on the running shoe soles which stick out.  I was doing dance moves like grapevine and whatnot.  Ryka is recommended for zumba, and their sole is within the footprint of the shoe, plus they have this circuluar swirly tread, which I assume helps with turns.  I like them a lot.  I believe they are technically called "Cross-training shoes."  They seem to have good support.

I only walk in my running shoes.  I never ever run.  They seem to work great.  I use Asics right now.  My family likes Mizumo.  

10 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

When I've asked in the athletic shoe stores, they've all pooh-poohed 'walking' shoes and emphatically insisted I should get good quality running shoes, even if I only ever walk in them.  That's at least three different stores. The walking shoes are also $$$, so I don't think that's it?

ETA: The most recent pairs I got are stabilized for lateral as well as forward motion, but is still considered a 'running' shoe. 

Running shoes can easily be $$$.  very. easily.  20 years ago there were running shoes in that price range.

dd was in cross country in the early 2000s.  Her coach was an Olympic runner.  (He only ever wanted to play soccer, but never made the team.  He went out for cross country in high school because he hoped it would help him when soccer try-outs came around. He never did do soccer.) 

They had race shoes, and then they had practice shoes.  The race shoes would last longer that way.   He also strongly suggested they go to the most expensive running shoe store around here.  They only hire serious runners, so they knew their stuff, er . shoes.    They'd actually send you out of the building and up the hill around the corner, then come back as you trying walking/running in them.  Unlike more of the "sport shoes" stores, that hire whomever off the street and only know what they've been told for marketing.

I need new walking shoes, maybe I'll try there.  I have some  abeos from The Walking Company I really like, but they're getting old (I think they're causing problems) and they squeak constantly.  Their staff aren't any better at fitting appropriate shoes than anywhere else.

10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ironically, when I went in they put me in *zero drop* shoes, something I never would have thought of and didn't realize I'd like. I had previously been in stabilizing shoes and they said they were making my problems worse. So you only want what you need. They also made custom inserts. 

What are *zero drop* shoes?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Back in the 80s or 90s when power walking was a big thing there was a big deal made over making sure you bought walking shoes for walking, not running shoes. Somthing about how they were made, how the foot hit the ground, I don't know. 

Is this still a thing? I do way more walking than running, and need new shoes. I also would be wearing them for the walk at home videos, which have side steps, grapevines, kicks, etc so more dance than strictly walking. 

You might want to consider cross trainers for the walk at home videos if they include other movement.  Definitely something with a flatter sole than many running shoes. I wear a Reebok for HIIT cardio/strength training and Mizunos for run/walk. I always have two in rotation: an older pair for casual walks and a newer pair for runs.

3 hours ago, perky said:

So I have two pairs of sneakers.  One is Ryka, for Zumba, because I kept getting caught on the running shoe soles which stick out.  I was doing dance moves like grapevine and whatnot.  Ryka is recommended for zumba, and their sole is within the footprint of the shoe, plus they have this circuluar swirly tread, which I assume helps with turns.  I like them a lot.  I believe they are technically called "Cross-training shoes."  They seem to have good support.

I only walk in my running shoes.  I never ever run.  They seem to work great.  I use Asics right now.  My family likes Mizumo.  

9 minutes ago, Zuzu822 said:

You might want to consider cross trainers for the walk at home videos if they include other movement.  Definitely something with a flatter sole than many running shoes. I wear a Reebok for HIIT cardio/strength training and Mizunos for run/walk. I always have two in rotation: an older pair for casual walks and a newer pair for runs.

I think you are both right - the more I am reading, the more it seems a cross trainer is the best idea. They are made more to be used in lateral movements - which I do a lot.

If I can't find those I will look at what the running stores carry - we have two in the area that will evaluate your gait, etc. A more minimal heel running shoe might work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I think you are both right - the more I am reading, the more it seems a cross trainer is the best idea. They are made more to be used in lateral movements - which I do a lot.

If I can't find those I will look at what the running stores carry - we have two in the area that will evaluate your gait, etc. A more minimal heel running shoe might work. 

Altra (which you'll get at good running stores) has a HIIT/cross trainer option. It's actually more weight than what you need. Something nimble would be really good. Crosstrainers are meant to accommodate lifting, etc., think cross fit. 

You'll probably learn a lot if you go get fitted at the running store. You might even get fitted at both so you can see the differences to see if one store is markedly better than the other. Feet are funny. My dd and ds have these really HIGH bones on their feet, so they wear totally different shoes from me. So it's not just what you're doing but the shape of the foot. 

I'm just looking here. If you have Fleet Feet, I can tell you that the fittings they do are not as good as the fittings I got with a store you might not have (Roadrunner). So if you have another store in mind, maybe also look at that other store. Try googling your city plus Altra and see what other stores pop up. 

http://www.trackshack.com

PS. Don't feel intimidated about not being a runner going in. You want the shoes to FIT and they'll be really good with FIT. And when they fit right, they'll function better. I'm a pretty chunky girl and don't look at all like a runner, and they've aways been nice to me. 

Edited by PeterPan

21 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Altra (which you'll get at good running stores) has a HIIT/cross trainer option. It's actually more weight than what you need. Something nimble would be really good. Crosstrainers are meant to accommodate lifting, etc., think cross fit. 

You'll probably learn a lot if you go get fitted at the running store. You might even get fitted at both so you can see the differences to see if one store is markedly better than the other. Feet are funny. My dd and ds have these really HIGH bones on their feet, so they wear totally different shoes from me. So it's not just what you're doing but the shape of the foot. 

If looking at Altra, I think for the purposes described Escalante and Torin models would possibly be good fits.   

I agree about different feet being very different. 

And I think that padded, stable walking shoes may make particular sense for something like a trip to Venice or Disneyworld where a lot of walking and standing - hours - on hard surfaces is expected (though I would still use my Altras), but less for exercise purposes. 

22 minutes ago, Pen said:

And I think that padded, stable walking shoes may make particular sense for something like a trip to Venice or Disneyworld where a lot of walking and standing - hours - on hard surfaces is expected (though I would still use my Altras), but less for exercise purposes. 

My Altra Escalantes were WAY better at Disney than my Asics (more padded) running shoes. I had been fitted into the Asics at Fleet Feet and thought they were fine, but the Altras (which I got after several years in Asics) were much better, with less fatigue. It's very counterintuitive, that's for sure. I have a friend who went to zero drop shoes for EVERYTHING, and apparently there's some theory about how your foot functions in them and why it trumps padding even for everyday movements.

5 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you’re exercising indoors, split-sole dance sneakers are awesome.  I lost mine and  I’m convinced they’re around here somewhere. I MISS them. As soon as I replace them they’ll show up. 🙄 

off to google...never heard of these!

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

off to google...never heard of these!

This might help. Mine (if I can find them) are Blochs. I get the toggle shoes so I’m not fussing with laces. Do be careful with sizing because it’s not normal. https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/shoes/dance-sneakers/page1?styleFocus=S0528L&camp=GoogleShopping_S0528L&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=S0528L&utm_campaign=Products&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3bOMzozs7AIVx9SzCh1KKw9hEAQYASABEgKOqvD_BwE

Edited by KungFuPanda

So, now I'm looking at Zumba shoes and came across these "studio fitness" sneakers. They have free returns, so might be worth trying. I checked and the running stores near me only have running shoes, not dance, cross training, walking, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Influence-Training-Black-Sugar/dp/B07ZRVV78P/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=zumba%2Bshoes&sr=8-10&th=1&psc=1

Edited by ktgrok

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

So, now I'm looking at Zumba shoes and came across these "studio fitness" sneakers. They have free returns, so might be worth trying. I checked and the running stores near me only have running shoes, not dance, cross training, walking, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Influence-Training-Black-Sugar/dp/B07ZRVV78P/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=zumba%2Bshoes&sr=8-10&th=1&psc=1

I have those!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I've heard the same thing. I always made sure I chose walking shoes but the last two times I went looking, also at different athletic stores, I was told to get good running shoes even if I don't run.

21 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Zero drop shoes would kill my feet. I need cushioning. I don't want shoes that make me feel like I'm barefoot. I can't walk barefoot for very long without feeling pain.

My problem is supination. Since overpronation is more common, it's hard to find shoes that address underpronation. 

Zero drop might still not be for you for other reasons, but I just wanted to say that the Altra brand offers cushioned zero drop shoes in addition to more minimal zero drop shoes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Zero drop shoes would kill my feet. I need cushioning. I don't want shoes that make me feel like I'm barefoot. I can't walk barefoot for very long without feeling pain.

My problem is supination. Since overpronation is more common, it's hard to find shoes that address underpronation. 

Zero drop means heel and ball of foot are at same level.  It does not mean not cushioned / padded. 

Example:

• ALTRA Women's Torin 4 Plush Road Running Shoe 
  •  

I have seen zero drop along with 1.5” - 2” of sole and padding.   [possibly Torin plush, and Paradigm, and Olympic models]   Mine are thinner, but both my Torin (non plush) and Escalante feel like walking on a cloud. 

If you were to consider Altra, call them: my son accidentally got a pair meant for fixing pronation, when he did not need that and it was terrible for him—but they do have various options and might have something correct for the problem. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

What type?  I could really use some happy feet. 

I wear Brooks Dyads.  They are not the cutest shoes out there at all....but they fit my custom orthodic and my feet so I am happy.

Really though, a good running store can watch you walk and help chose models best for you.

I love my Altra Torins for walking and for about life and for running on smooth surfaces.  They are cushy, zero drop, and have wide toe boxes.  I never realized that my toes were cramped until they weren’t.  It’s wonderful.

I use their Superior 4s (trail runners) for hiking and for walk/running on more bumpy surfaces like cracked asphalt.  

I have not tried actual walking shoes for years, but when I did they were more supportive, less cushy, and a lot stiffer than running shoes.  I was not impressed and didn’t use them very much.  I’ve always like running shoes best for just about everything, and the world finally caught up with me—a few years back I found out that now the PCT through hikers mostly wear trail runners instead of old-fashioned hiking boots.

• Like 1