Menu

Ethical dilemma re copyrights

I bought the K12 student guides that go along with their 4 volume concise editions of The History of Us (all bought used on amazon) to use with my current DD12. I went to the K12 website and tried to see if I could buy them new and they don't sell them. I presume you would get them if you bought their online program but I'm not interested in that.

I really like these workbooks and would like to use them for my DDs coming up after this one. (Sometimes I buy ahead when I know I like a program and I think the materials I want might be out of print before the younger ones get there.) I looked at the copyright info and it says no photocopies are allowed.

I want to give the publisher what they deserve, which is why I went to their website first. But if they won't sell them to me, my other options are (1) to buy other workbook copies used, which seems silly because that doesn't get the publisher any more money (2) not use the workbooks at all after this DD or (3) photocopy them anyway.

What would you do? And as a related question, is it unethical to buy used workbooks, in general?

Use the workbooks you have orally?
Have the student just look at the workbooks you have for the questions, and write their answers in a spiral bound notebook?

ETA
I know my answers are not squeaky-clean ethical, as they dance around the issue that the publisher wants a workbook purchased for each student... But it does start getting more difficult to untangle it all ethically if the workbooks are no longer published, and you would be forced into buying an online version of the entire program just to get workbooks, when you already previously purchased a print version...

ETA #2
Perhaps contact the publisher and explain the situation, offering to purchase the workbooks? It does seem unfair to me that if you have already purchased the main program, that they would require you to re-purchase the whole thing *again* in a new format just because you only need workbooks...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Use the workbooks you have orally?
Have the student just look at the workbooks you have for the questions, and write their answers in a spiral bound notebook?

ETA
I know my answers are not squeaky-clean ethical, as they dance around the issue that the publisher wants a workbook purchased for each student... But it does start getting more difficult to untangle it all ethically if the workbooks are no longer published, and you would be forced into buying an online version of the entire program just to get workbooks, when you already previously purchased a print version...

ETA #2
Perhaps contact the publisher and explain the situation, offering to purchase the workbooks? It does seem unfair to me that if you have already purchased the main program, that they would require you to re-purchase the whole thing *again* in a new format just because you only need workbooks...

Well, the thing is, I never bought any of it from the publisher. I got the textbooks used on amazon about 6 years ago. I feel like textbooks and novels and novels are a different animal than workbooks because they aren't meant to be consumable. So I felt totally ok buying the texts used. At the time I bought them I didn't know about the workbooks. But I read about the workbooks on here somewhere and started looking into them and bought them a couple weeks ago on amazon because K12 didn't offer them. I didn't think much about it at the time because I just wanted to get my hands on rhem and see if they would work for DD because she's having trouble retaining info with just reading and no output. But now that I have them I see how much I like them and am not sure where to go from here ...

I don't want to do it orally because she seems to need to write it down to remember it. I could do it in a notebook, but some of the worksheets would be very tedious to try to grade by flipping back and forth the whole time. But that might be an option I could live with ...

5 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I wonder if they are sold as a PDF download?  It is also possible that the publisher or author would give you permission to photocopy them for use within your own family especially if you can't buy it anymore.  

I guess it didn't occur to me to ask them 😜 I should probably start there.

• Like 1

Fwiw, most of the workbooks for sale on amazon (in the past) aren’t actually used...they were mass published for distribution through contracts with states for their program and got liquidated. The workbooks you are referring to actually got updated a few times so older copies got shoved into the resale market when they updated their inventory.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, Momto6inIN said:

Well, the thing is, I never bought any of it from the publisher. I got the textbooks used on amazon about 6 years ago. I feel like textbooks and novels and novels are a different animal than workbooks because they aren't meant to be consumable. So I felt totally ok buying the texts used. At the time I bought them I didn't know about the workbooks. But I read about the workbooks on here somewhere and started looking into them and bought them a couple weeks ago on amazon because K12 didn't offer them. I didn't think much about it at the time because I just wanted to get my hands on rhem and see if they would work for DD because she's having trouble retaining info with just reading and no output. But now that I have them I see how much I like them and am not sure where to go from here ...

I don't want to do it orally because she seems to need to write it down to remember it. I could do it in a notebook, but some of the worksheets would be very tedious to try to grade by flipping back and forth the whole time. But that might be an option I could live with ...

I haven't read beyond this post, but my initial thought would be to contact the company and tell them your dilemma and ask their opinion. They may surprise you and say photocopy away or they may even offer a downloadable pdf version if it's out of print. You never know.

Edited by Servant4Christ
So many typos

First of all, let me just say that K12 customer service sucks😝 If I ever consider using them for anything in the future, please remind me of this post! Their website is clunky and hard to navigate and it was almost impossible to know who to contact or who to talk to.

Anyway, I finally got someone on chat and asked my question. Since it wasn't a standard question, they moved me up the line to someone higher up. Basically I asked every which way I could, "How can I buy your product?" ... and the answer was ... I can't. Not without buying the textbooks (which I already have) and the teacher/coach guides (which I don't want). No pdfs, no workbooks sold separately, no permission to photocopy within my own family.

So ... ugh

• Sad 3

On 11/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, Momto6inIN said:

I want to give the publisher what they deserve, which is why I went to their website first. But if they won't sell them to me, my other options are (1) to buy other workbook copies used, which seems silly because that doesn't get the publisher any more money (2) not use the workbooks at all after this DD or (3) photocopy them anyway.

Part of the deal when signing up for the online class, at least back when we did them (10 years ago), was agreeing not to sell the books.  The person who sold you the books was violating that agreement.

That said, you have the books.  I'd just use them.  

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Sometimes authors and publishers ASK for things not required by law.

I care deeply that authors get compensated for their work. But beyond that, when it comes to children not getting an education and mom being pushed into self-neglect, especially if this scenario manufactures deprivation that does not even profit the author, I get sloppy.

Uneducated children and sick moms doesn't make this country stronger, and we all must live here, and suffer the results of the growing number of uneducated children and sick moms.

Civil disobedience and stealing food are condoned in the history books, but not in the present. I have been accused of doing both. I am not sure if I did or not. It matters the definition. Sometimes things asked are not required by law, or shouldn't be. 

• Like 3