Menu

I am addicted to open tabs

Ginevra

18 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I am exactly the same way. I don't know why I don't just use Pinterest or bookmarks either.

last night I accidentally hit the X... it was a sad, sad moment.  

In case you don’t know, you can go to your history and reopen whatever you last closed, even multiple tabs. This has helped me countless times, including at least weekly because my cat’s favorite chin scratcher is the corner of my laptop, and her sweet little chin hits that x just right!

I have a pretty severe tab problem too. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I am exactly the same way. I don't know why I don't just use Pinterest or bookmarks either.

last night I accidentally hit the X... it was a sad, sad moment.  

On my Chromebook I go to settings, click on history and then recently closed tabs and like a miracle they all open back up.

BTDT SO many times!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

I used to do that. Then possibly in the Google Feed on my phone, I read about an App. I think it was for either Firefox or Chrome, but not both browsers.  I have both browsers installed and usually favor one or the other, and occasionally switch to the browser that seems faster/less problematic.

There was an Extension for one of the browsers for people who have that multi tabs are open problem. The problem with that is that each tab uses RAM (memory) in the device. With the extension, you could move quickly from one tab to another tab in your collection of tabs but they claimed a huge reduction in the amount of RAM (memory) used by the browser.

Sorry that I can't remember the name of the extension or which browser it was for. I eventually uninstalled it and went back to the old fashioned bookmarks,

• Like 1

Yes! And then when the browser window is full to the point I can't click on which tab I want, I just open a new window and start the process all over. 

Currently have 3 browser windows open: 2 with my max-preferred number of tabs,  plus this one. This window only has 8 tabs right now. But the day is young!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

People keep telling me I have a problem.  It doesn't seem like that many to me, but then, yeah, when my computer reboots and I ask it to restore from History and it's 70+ tabs, that does seem like more than I might need.  But I can't seem to close them!  They multiply like bunnies.  People keep telling me this is why my computer is slow.  Lalalalalalala.

Look, on my phone it's only like 20-something.  😝   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

In case you don’t know, you can go to your history and reopen whatever you last closed, even multiple tabs. This has helped me countless times, including at least weekly because my cat’s favorite chin scratcher is the corner of my laptop, and her sweet little chin hits that x just right!

I have a pretty severe tab problem too. 

Yeah, I was just too lazy to go to open tabs... plus if they're several weeks old it doesnt work so easily (ask me how I know).

Normally, it will "restore" previous tabs but my stupid mouse was acting up and moved one tab to its own window.... that stayed up... so no restore option for me.  😞  

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

Team Many Tab for the win. My family hates it. I don't care. My computer, my rules. My DH was in the habit of closing them when he got hold of my computer for a long time. There was part of a marital therapy session devoted to that. 😁

My family also teases me about it.

I currently have 23 open and that's only from the last 24hrs since the "great tab deletion" happened last night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Oh no. Too many tabs drives me nuts! You’re probably the type that allows 57 notifications on email on your phone! That drives me nuts too. If there is even one notification, I have to open it just to get rid of the notification. 

I keep my email very clean and efficient and can't stand any notifications, but I always have many open tabs on my laptop! 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Oh no. Too many tabs drives me nuts! You’re probably the type that allows 57 notifications on email on your phone! That drives me nuts too. If there is even one notification, I have to open it just to get rid of the notification. 

Ohh, if only that were true! .... 😬

my mail situation.png

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

I have actually deleted apps because they constantly give me a "1" notification sitting there. Oh, no you don't....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

This would give me a full-blown anxiety attack! I can't have any unread messages or notifications.  

I reformed myself from my earlier bad email habits. Now I clean them every day, sometimes a couple times a day. At one point I had around 5,000 unreads. I keep it on my daily habit minder to do email down to zero unreads. I also have on my habit minder to go through flagged emails every weekend to take action on anything I haven't done. 

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I currently have 207 open.

Holy guacamole, how does your machine not crash?! I have 39 in Safari and another 28 in Google Chrome. My computer does fine with that, but if I take it up too much higher it bogs down and gets really unhappy. What is your secret?

5 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I don't know why I don't just use Pinterest or bookmarks either.

Ok, so I do use Pinterest extensively. I gave up on bookmarks. I STILL have things open, lol. I think partly it's that I have to do lists, tabs open because I want to DO something with it. Maybe there's a smart way to deal with that?

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

I reformed myself from my earlier bad email habits. Now I clean them every day, sometimes a couple times a day.

I switched to Spark for my email a couple months ago, and it totally reformed me on that. It's a zero inbox methodology, and the app syncs to my phone, etc. too. So my inbox stays sparkly clean. LOVE it. 

So is there an equivalent organizer for browsing? What is it we're failing to do that we're not getting this done? If it's always tasks with me (vs. research I'm storing topically on pinterest), then maybe there's a smart way to store those to dos in a separate place and then tap and get them done? Hmm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Holy guacamole, how does your machine not crash?! I have 39 in Safari and another 28 in Google Chrome. My computer does fine with that, but if I take it up too much higher it bogs down and gets really unhappy. What is your secret?

Ok, so I do use Pinterest extensively. I gave up on bookmarks. I STILL have things open, lol. I think partly it's that I have to do lists, tabs open because I want to DO something with it. Maybe there's a smart way to deal with that?

I switched to Spark for my email a couple months ago, and it totally reformed me on that. It's a zero inbox methodology, and the app syncs to my phone, etc. too. So my inbox stays sparkly clean. LOVE it. 

So is there an equivalent organizer for browsing? What is it we're failing to do that we're not getting this done? If it's always tasks with me (vs. research I'm storing topically on pinterest), then maybe there's a smart way to store those to dos in a separate place and then tap and get them done? Hmm.

That's an interesting thing to consider. I don't know if there is a better way for tabs. 

17 minutes ago, Quill said:

I reformed myself from my earlier bad email habits. Now I clean them every day, sometimes a couple times a day. At one point I had around 5,000 unreads. I keep it on my daily habit minder to do email down to zero unreads. I also have on my habit minder to go through flagged emails every weekend to take action on anything I haven't done. 

Wow!  DH is like that.  I can't look at his screen because I can't even imagine...

11 minutes ago, Quill said:

That's an interesting thing to consider. I don't know if there is a better way for tabs. 

Just to answer my own question, I found Microsoft To Do has both phone and desktop versions (including mac) of their To Do app. So I can create tasks for all these tabs (which are indeed open because I have a pile of tasks not done), write out what the tasks are, even organize intended tasks by task lists, and include the hyperlinks. So then I can close the tabs in my browser and still have the tasks waiting for me to do when I'm on any device and have time to kill.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I think the laptop has a patient and generous personality...

(It crashes periodically, but *usually* agrees to reopen the previous tabs.)