Menu

ACT Prep recommendations

There is so much out there!

I am looking for something quite specific.  Dd has a month to prep for the ACT.  We are looking for a simple and brief prep option that focusses on test taking strategies rather than content.  No more than 20 hours.  Does such a thing exist?  Without me having to invent it?  There is not a whole lot riding on this test and there is a very good chance it will be cancelled (again.....dd has been trying to take it since last April).  There is even chance she will never get to take it.  This is why we are looking for low-input options.  Dd has taken a good practice test and we think she could raise her score by a point or two just by knowing a little more about how to approach the test.  She had not planned to prep at all with hopes that she would get the score she needs cold.  Then do prep and retest if she needed a higher score.  Now that retesting is looking less and less possible, she would like to go in at least a little less "cold" but is not willing to devote a great deal of time to prep.  She is already accepted into the college she will be attending next year.  Testing is now only for merit aid and she was within a single point of the highest possible merit aid on her practice test....when she had a lot less math under her belt.  So, this is more about confidence and approach than content.

If you’re not exclusively looking for no-cost options, I strongly recommend a free 20-minute conversation with Stacey of Stellar Scores to discuss her tutoring services and what she thinks DD might be able to accomplish in 20 hours or less of prep time.

We were so pleased with our DD’s experience working with her. I feel like it was money very well spent. 

• Like 1

The ACT Mom just put out an online course that can take the place of her in-person classes.  It is definitely focused on strategy over content.  It is pricey at $250., but you have access for a whole year, and I believe it's very worth the investment if merit aid is your aim.  20 hours is probably doable if your student is diligent.

https://actmomonlineclass.thinkific.com/collections

• Like 2