Menu

When do you exercise (young kids and homeschooling)?

EmilyGF

I do not get up early. One of the best things about hs'ing is not to be tied to an early bus pick up and I refuse to give up that perk! Lol

We get up around 7:30 and start school around 8:45 or 9. That gives me time for a short workout (15-20 min), a quick breakfast, and sometimes even a shower while older DD keeps an eye on the toddler and gets herself ready for the day. Sometimes I don't make it into the shower until our lunch break.

It's not perfect, but it's what I can manage right now.

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 4

At night. I thought I would hate it, but I actually love it and it helps me sleep well. Usually I'll go and swim at our local pool and the advantage of doing it at night is that there is hardly anyone there! I can also shower and dress in my pj's (or at least comfy clothes) and be ready for relaxing!

• Like 1

Thanks for concrete ideas. Keep 'em coming. 🙂 I do really well with routines. Routines make our school work and our house work, but I haven't yet figured out where the exercise fits in the routine.

22 minutes ago, importswim said:

At night. I thought I would hate it, but I actually love it and it helps me sleep well. Usually I'll go and swim at our local pool and the advantage of doing it at night is that there is hardly anyone there! I can also shower and dress in my pj's (or at least comfy clothes) and be ready for relaxing!

I used to exercise at night but then it started keeping me awake when I hit thirty or thirty-five. I used to exercise at 7:30 pm, in the kitchen, once everyone was out of the kitchen. 

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

I find I stick to it best if I exercise around 10:30 am or 4 pm. Does another time of day work for everyone?

I've been toying with 8:45-9:15, but for that to work, ds8 needs to take personal responsibility on something. Also, the logistics of the house mean that there might not be space for me to exercise at that time (five kids, including one doing high school from home in the pandemic, and a hubby working from home, in an 1800-square foot house).

I'm leaning to 2 pm and making it non-negotiable, but I know my kids were never consistent with music practice until we scheduled it at 8 am every morning.

3 minutes ago, JoyKM said:

What kind of exercise do you like to do?  Would it be possible for your son to start math at 6:45 so that you can still do a 6-6:30 session, or is this part of a greater daily schedule due to new needs?

I am so sedentary right now it's terrible.  I have a bum hip and need to work in a walk each day.  It will be pushing a stroller with two kids walking with me.  😂  Honestly every time I have tried to exercise at a decent level my hip gives up at some point.  So we are resigning ourselves to a mid morning stroll, and that's going to have to be better than nothing.  

Our schedule is terribly rigid. DH loves us all eating breakfast together. Because ds15 is in online high school, breakfast has to be at 7 am. There is no wiggle room there. I used to have a semi-free half hour from 8 to 8:30, but now I do one-on-one time with dd4 then.

I like doing things like power yoga, barre, or cardio kickboxing. I do walk with dd12 sometimes, and we're working on making it more, but I'd like that to be only part of the puzzle.

• Like 1

I exercise in the morning. It works best for my schedule in the am or around 3 but my energy level is much higher in the morning so that is when I do it. I teach online in the mornings so do it after that. With the time change I finish at 7, I have a moment to myself after that and a little snack and get started by 7:30. After I finish I do my breakfast and if the girls are up we eat together but I often make a big batch of something (like oat muffins and will have it several days in a row for my breakfast). They take turns cooking breakfast and I cook a day as well.

I'd look to see when you can most easily put it in, what can move the easiest and also when you feel most like exercising.

Before the time change I sometime did it before teaching (I started teaching at 6), now I start teaching at 5 and have no desire to teach before then. Exercise is non-negotiable so everything else works around that.

There is something about getting some exercise in first thing in the morning.  I agree with @alisoncooks and think you should keep at your former time and rearrange his math if necessary.  Your needs sometimes takes precedence. 

I am not juggling homeschooling anymore, but the dog/kitchen chores always came first, and I could never figure out when to get exercise in alone.   Since mid-summer, I hop out of bed, dress & walk out the door to walk - right past the dog.  

It has been great - the dog hardly knows what to think!  (DH takes dog out when he gets up, so she doesn’t strictly ‘need’ me then but if I stop to do anything at all for her first, my routine is doomed...and I do not want to take her b/c of some logistics)

I exercise in short burst during the week, rather than one longer session, as it is far easier to steal 15-20 minutes of kid free time than 30-60 minutes. 

What seems to be working now is I do a 15-17 minutes exercise video (walk at home - free on youtube) around 11:30am. Basically, I tend to give the kids a break/recess/whatever after morning school work until we eat lunch, and I do it then. Or, if timing doesn't work I'll do it WHILE they eat lunch, then I eat after that. 

I do another 20-30 minutes of DDP Yoga in the evening, right before dinner. So I'll get dinner started and in the oven, and then do my workout while it is cooking. Sometimes I have to hit pause on the workout and run go check a temp or turn off the oven, but it is what it is. 

Or, if that doesn't look like it is going to work, I again will fix the family food, and workout while they eat, or right after they eat. and then I eat a late dinner. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Our schedule is terribly rigid. DH loves us all eating breakfast together. Because ds15 is in online high school, breakfast has to be at 7 am. There is no wiggle room there. I used to have a semi-free half hour from 8 to 8:30, but now I do one-on-one time with dd4 then.

I like doing things like power yoga, barre, or cardio kickboxing. I do walk with dd12 sometimes, and we're working on making it more, but I'd like that to be only part of the puzzle.

Can DD4 workout with you?  I mean, obviously she won't keep up, but my 3 yr old gets out her own yoga mat, insists she needs her own water bottle, etc and then "does yoga" with me, lol. And she definitely does the walking videos with me -actually often all the kids do it with me!  I won't lie, it's NOT as enjoyable when you are constantly making sure that the 3 kids don't run into each other doing it, but it gets done. I have to keep telling myself, don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. I say that a LOT...it's that or start cursing when I have to get up from down dog to go wipe the 3 yr old's butt! 

But anyway, routine wise, sticking it just before a meal seems to work for me. I can NOT workout on a full stomach or even within an hour of eating - I will puke. So doing it before starting lunch prep works well - plus puttering around the kitchen helps me cool down more vs plopping into a chair and letting my muscles freeze up. Dinner time is trickier - ideally I do yoga around 4:00 or 4:30, and then make dinner, but sometimes now DH wants to do the yoga with me and he needs it. So I'll prep dinner, maybe even feed the kids something easy or give them fruit to tide them over, and then we workout at 5:30 and have a late dinner around 6:30. I don't love that, but the exercise is a non negotiable now for me. 

• Like 3

I work out right after we finish school.  So around 3 pm on school days.  Weekends I prefer earlier in the afternoon.

I cannot possibly get up early to do it, my body doesn’t work that way.  

The moment when I realized I could run in the treadmill for an hour while the kids were in the next room playing Lego, and they’d still be breathing afterward ... brilliant!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I always exercised in the evening when Dh was home to be the go-to parent.  I see too many women try to juggle their lives to spare their Dh from having regular blocks of primary parenting and that's not good for anyone.

I used to exercise in the evening. DH is a very involved parent. I think he's playing board games with the kids right now. I just can't go to sleep in the evening if I exercise after dinner. 

I also try not to check out after dinner, though. A resentful grown-up who was homeschooled described how her mom checked out every night after dinner as one of the reasons she never wanted to homeschool. Because she was a friend whom I respected, the comment really hit me and stuck with me.

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

I exercise in the evening.  Dh is gone until about 9 or 10 every night so evenings have become my exercise time. After dinner and clean up I put on youtube videos or a movie and walk on the treadmill then bathe.  It is nice to be in my jammies and reading a book when dh gets home.  Soon he will be home in the evenings so my exercise time will change as I'd prefer to spend that time with him.  I'm not sure when I will fit it in.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I used to exercise in the evening. DH is a very involved parent. I think he's playing board games with the kids right now. I just can't go to sleep in the evening if I exercise after dinner. 

I also try not to check out after dinner, though. A resentful grown-up who was homeschooled described how her mom checked out every night after dinner as one of the reasons she never wanted to homeschool. Because she was a friend whom I respected, the comment really hit me and stuck with me.

I find this so interesting! Especially since I feel like I clocked out mentally in a much worse way before I started hs'ing because the *entire* load of parenting fell between the hours of 4 and 8pm. It makes me wonder what my kids attribute to hs'ing that is really just parenting ...

• Like 4

When DSs were younger and we were homeschooling, DH worked 24-hour shifts on the fire dept., with day off in between shifts, and then after 5 shifts, he got a 6-day break. I would go swim laps at the local public pool in the afternoons on days when he was at home. I am NOT a morning person, so getting up early to exercise was not possible for me. If DH had worked a regular M-F/9-5 job, I likely would have bought a treadmill and exercised in the afternoon while DSs were doing independent reading, or after we finished homeschooling and DSs were playing and building and running around in the backyard.}

On 11/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, EmilyGF said:

... Routines make our school work and our house work...
... I'm leaning to 2 pm and making it non-negotiable...

If you know this time works for you, go for it! State that it is non-negociable for your health and well-being -- which translates into happy mom = happy family, and older kids are scheduled to pitch in with any house help / dinner prep, and to help with any little ones too young to safely take your eyes off of for exercising for 1.5-2 hours (exercise / cool-down / shower). Seriously, for a bigger family to work, everyone has to help out. Good luck!

Edited by Lori D.

I've been doing well with exercising at mid-afternoon, like 3-4pm.  Our school day is done, the kids are sick of me and want to do their own things, and between DH working form home and having a couple of teen/pre-teen kids, I'm comfortable leaving the littler kids and going out for a run.  As much as I'd love to be an early morning runner, I think I do really well with a 3pm run- it was when cross-country and track practice was in high school, and I think my body remembers that still!  

When did your ds 8 used to do math? Why is your exercise time a better fit? Do you feel free to move it back, or let him work on it while you exercise and then explain the problems for tomorrow after he's worked today's problems and then he can work the "new" problems tomorrow?

Another thought is to bow out of breakfast for now. Self-care is really important and you stated that breakfast together is important to your dh. Exercise time for you is important, too. You could eat after everyone else and the world will still turn. After all, we are in the middle of a pandemic.

I just walked when they were small: pushing a stroller when they were tiny, with them running alongside when they were bigger, finally with them cycling circles around me.  It wasn't perfect exercise, but it was better than nothing.  Pushing the stroller up the hill was pretty good though.

Currently due to Covid I'm doing Jazzercise online.  My local studio offers classes at 5:30, 7:00, 8:15 and 9:30 as well as 5:30pm.  I usually get son settled into his online classes and do the 8:15 class while he is doing his English class.  If I miss that I do the 9:30.  My workout space is currently in the entry foyer because it has wood floors and is out of the view of his computer's camera.  Being consistent is what is really helped.  I used to drop him off at school and go straight to the studio for 8:15 class.  I will say that I am often interrupted and may not be getting the same level of workout due to the distractions and questions but at least I'm getting some workout in.  Make me fell much better.

14 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

This has me curious about that situation. It makes me uncomfortable when Mom is viewed as a service provider that must be 100% “on” during all waking hours and on-call for the rest. Little kids really don’t care about treating mom like an equal family member who deserves some time to do her own thing, but teens and adults should be on board with her being a real person. Making dad the Default Parent after dinner seems rather wise to me. Now I’m wondering what “checked out” really looked like. I also agree with the poster who suggested this might just be a parenting decision that’s not really connected to homeschooling. I don’t expect you to ANSWER all these questions since it’s not your family. I’m just curious. 😬

I’m definitely an evening exerciser. My body can sleep immediately after exercising at any time of day. I don’t get wired from it. I spend most of my day a little hyped up anyway, but when I have the opportunity to crash I can flip the switch and crash hard. 🤣

• Like 2

Remember that your needs count. Today lunch was later than I wanted or planned, because I still needed to get my 15 minute walk at home video done. And I almost said, forget it, I'll do it "later" whenever that is, and get them fed. 

But you know what? No one starved to death in 15 minutes, lol. Nor would they in 20 minutes. Anyone who was super hungry was welcome to grab some fruit - no one did. Honestly, not even sure they really noticed. And later, I realized that the voice saying, "hey...you can't workout now...you'd be a terrible mother to do that! You need to feed those kids! They are hungry!" was NOT a good voice, if you know what I mean. In fact....I think this is one of those real life instances that fits with the thread about The Screwtape Letters! Using a virtue, like being a good mother, taken to excess and using it to defeat another virtue - self care! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

This has me curious about that situation. It makes me uncomfortable when Mom is viewed as a service provider that must be 100% “on” during all waking hours and on-call for the rest. Little kids really don’t care about treating mom like an equal family member who deserves some time to do her own thing, but teens and adults should be on board with her being a real person. Making dad the Default Parent after dinner seems rather wise to me. Now I’m wondering what “checked out” really looked like. I also agree with the poster who suggested this might just be a parenting decision that’s not really connected to homeschooling. I don’t expect you to ANSWER all these questions since it’s not your family. I’m just curious. 😬

Yeah, I had some choice thoughts about this idea last night. 😬 I really hope that there are some other details that make this different than mom simply being "off-duty" for a while. Because otherwise, I feel like if my adult children are upset because I wasn't available for their needs 24/7 for 18 years . . . well, I've failed in a more important way.

I do take to heart, though, what I hope is the point; that I should reevaluate if the *only* time I spend with the kids is schooling or if I give the impression that I just don't want to be around them. This is actually something I try to pay attention to, because my energy, both physically and emotionally, is limited and I don't want the entirety of it to be devoted strictly to school only.

Same as above, OP, I don't expect you to give details on any of this. It just would never have occurred to me to be upset because my mom worked in the yard in the evenings instead of more time with us. (Thinking of summers, I wasn't homeschooled.) 

On topic, I am following along for ideas because I fail at making time for exercise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I think there is a difference between “checking out” and “doing something else”.  

I know people who communicate to their kids that being with them is a “job” and they need “time off” in ways that are hurtful.  I want my kids to know that I want to be with them.  So, I wouldn’t want to be physically present and emotionally distant. 

But I don’t have a problem saying “I am going for a walk”, or “I am taking a bath”, or “Ask Dad, I am finishing this chapter (or episode)”.  

• Like 1

I love how this board helps me think things through. Reading the replies, I realized that the issue is that I've stopped enforcing chores and so I'm spending way more time than I used to be doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning. I made a new chore chart this week and I already have a lot more time.

Emily

• Like 6

I don't have very young kids nor homeschool, but I do have a full-time job + kids who are currently doing "school at home."

I could never convince myself to leap out of bed in the morning to exercise.  😛  I do it at night.  Either alone or with my kids (we do TKD together when it fits in our schedule).

When my kids were little, it was hard to find ways to fit exercise in.  I figured out ways to walk etc. on the periphery of their activities.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, EmilyGF said:

I used to get up at 6 am and exercise before the kids got up.

Now ds8 gets up at 6:30 to do math. I am glad he does it, but it has screwed up my mornings. I keep telling myself to just get up earlier, but it hasn't worked.

Ideas?

I would just talk to your 8 year old.  I have a 7 year old, and he is perfectly capable of understanding and respecting some time alone.   I said something along the lines of this:

"I am trying to exercise so I can be really healthy!  It helps me get stronger so I can carry you and play with you and do all of the things we like to do together.   BUT---sometimes I don't like to do it, and it is hard for me to get motivated! (Said in a lighthearted manner with a smile on my face.). I wake up early so I can get it done right away and not make any excuses.  (Again, big smile!)   So when I am working out, I want you to respect that time and not interrupt unless it is an emergency.  OK?   I can make you breakfast either before I start or afterwards at 7AM (or whatever time.). And if you need help on your math I can also help you at 7AM, but not during my workout.  Do you understand?

I don't. I used to be able to do it while they were at daycare or school.  During our full lockdown when I only worked 10 hours a week it was good.  Now I am back to 30 hours I am rarely in bed before 3 so getting up before I have to (7.30 to get ds13 to school) is not happening.  I can only walk round the block as the kids can't legally be left alone.  Mostly if I am not editing or teaching I fall asleep.  I need to convince myself exercise is as good as sleep but it is hard when you are exhausted.

Edited by kiwik