Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW44: Non Fiction November

Robin M

I have been busy listening and sewing to Eight Perfect Murders https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50797373-eight-perfect-murders which is basically a huge long list of great mysteries.  The main character owns a somewhat famous bookstore complete with the bookstore cat and becomes involved in a series of murders based of famous mysteries.  The mysteries in question seem to all be based on a blog post titled Eight Perfect Murders which the bookseller wrote for his stores blog..   I immediately thought of my BaW friends because we do lists really well.  The ABC Murders kicks things off........I do regret listening even if I do really like the narrator because it makes it hard to take notes on the books mentioned.  Many are classics like Strangers on the Train, Rebecca......the titles I am unfamiliar are probably classics that I haven’t had a chance to read yet!😉

• Like 6

I just finished Love in Amsterdam by Nicholas Freeling https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53053950-love-in-amsterdam

A few years ago we asked @Loesje22000 for a list a Dutch mysteries.......I thought this was one of them as it is the Van Der Valk detective series! 😂 When my library added it to overdrive I put myself on the hold’s list thinking World Detectives 10 x10 and as a bonus a translated book which I keep track of.  Ummmmm, I finish, look to verify it is translated.  Not!  British author...........I probably would not have stuck this book out to the end if I hadn’t thought I was reading a Dutch dectective mystery!  It is set in the twenty or so years post WWII in post war Amsterdam.  

A bit grim.....sort of free thought. My formatting was poor because I had to read it in the browser which I dislike and normally only do for a book I love.  A woman is murdered with her former lover apparently gazing at a canal outside her home.  The detective VanderValk does not believe he did it........the decade long affair is rehashed extensively so adult content.  The lover, his wife, and Detective V all work together to solve the case.  The justice system in Holland now interests me.....I am looking forward to some conversations to understand better when we hopefully return to England next summer with our many Dutch friends.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I just finished Love in Amsterdam by Nicholas Freeling https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53053950-love-in-amsterdam

A few years ago we asked @Loesje22000 for a list a Dutch mysteries.......I thought this was one of them as it is the Van Der Valk detective series! 😂 When my library added it to overdrive I put myself on the hold’s list thinking World Detectives 10 x10 and as a bonus a translated book which I keep track of.  Ummmmm, I finish, look to verify it is translated.  Not!  British author...........I probably would not have stuck this book out to the end if I hadn’t thought I was reading a Dutch dectective mystery!  It is set in the twenty or so years post WWII in post war Amsterdam.  

A bit grim.....sort of free thought. My formatting was poor because I had to read it in the browser which I dislike and normally only do for a book I love.  A woman is murdered with her former lover apparently gazing at a canal outside her home.  The detective VanderValk does not believe he did it........the decade long affair is rehashed extensively so adult content.  The lover, his wife, and Detective V all work together to solve the case.  The justice system in Holland now interests me.....I am looking forward to some conversations to understand better when we hopefully return to England next summer with our many Dutch friends.

They made a TV show based on Van der Valk! I actually didnt know it was a book first. A few episodes aired on PBS (Masterpiece Mystery) recently. 

Edited by Little Green Leaves
  • Like 5