Jump to content

Menu

Anyone have the peloton bike?- UPDATE


Recommended Posts

I am thinking of buying the peloton bike. My husband and I both interested in buying it.  My 11 and 13 year old boys say they would like to try it as well. If all of us end up using it then it will be worth the price. Anyone here have one that the whole family uses? Do you think it is worth it? Anyone with kids who also use the bike?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a peloton, so take this with a grain of salt.
 

What I do have is a bike that I love and use regularly, and share with our family.  There are three of us who use it religiously 5 days a week, for about an hour each time. Teenager watches YouTube videos while riding, DH and I do other shows.  Our preferred bike is a recumbent.

We also have another bike, one which has some sort of 3D race options or something.  I don’t know because ... none of us use it.  Ha!  We have all found it to be uncomfortable for different reasons. And everyone has drifted to the recumbent bike.

Do you already have a bike that you use regularly?  Does your family?  Have you tried a Peloton? If your current bike is similar to a Peloton, or you’ve tried it and loved it ... I say go for it!  I think it could totally work!  We have other equipment here, but the bike is the one thing that always gets used. It’s been regularly in use for almost 5 years now.  Well worth it.

I would love a Peloton, in some ways. But ... Nope.  I am 99% sure that it wouldn’t work for me, comfort wise.  I need a bike that works for short people and tall people, I prefer to adjust the seat occasionally while riding, I have an annoying toe issue that means some days I cannot bend my toes at all and recumbent can be adjusted so that’s possible, and, well, I find the seat more comfy for long rides.  I don’t have a problem with the bike seat on my mountain bike, but the exercise bikes we’ve had - ouch.  It may be because I’m short.  Hahahahaha.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but at least you know it’s possible for a family to share a bike for years, and have it go well!
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would research Youtube and see about getting a cheaper bike and using the Peloton App with it.   The App is $12/mo but the Peloton bike subscription is $40/mo.   

 

5 years of use, just for the app alone:

Peleton: $2,400

App:  $720

 

Add in the bike itself:

$2,400 for the Peloton with special shoes, etc....

$750 for a very nice used Echelon or Schwinn or Keiser brand (or whatever)

 

There......just saved you $4400.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I would research Youtube and see about getting a cheaper bike and using the Peloton App with it.   The App is $12/mo but the Peloton bike subscription is $40/mo.   

 

5 years of use, just for the app alone:

Peleton: $2,400

App:  $720

 

Add in the bike itself:

$2,400 for the Peloton with special shoes, etc....

$750 for a very nice used Echelon or Schwinn or Keiser brand (or whatever)

 

There......just saved you $4400.

I got a $350 bike off of Amazon and just got the app.  It worked just fine.  No, you can’t compete against other people online for intensity, but it works if you’re self motivated.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. I think we are going to go ahead and buy the Peloton bike. We have all gained weight during Covid and are now out of shape. We started off walking everyday in March and April and were walking several miles every day. Then somehow that slowed down and stopped and really need something to get us all motivated. We are saving so much money by not paying for any sports or activities for our kids or gym membership for the family.  

Edited by Nart
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd proceed with caution and maybe check your states BBB reviews.  Apparently it's not uncommon to have to pay up front, and be given a delivery date in the near future, only to have that date move to months in the future.  People who were promised bikes in Oct are being rescheduled for January.  I'd be wary of their customer service track record.  If you're patient I feel reasonably sure you'd get it eventually, but if your family will get emotional about continued delays it could be a recipe for heartbreak.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am expecting a cheaper bike by UPS today -- it was highly rated by Runner's World for cross-training. DH sent me a link to a deal for the Peloton app, so I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes. We have long, cold winters and are likely to be quarantined for COVID (DS has a friend who is sick and waiting on test results), so I need something active to do! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

I am expecting a cheaper bike by UPS today -- it was highly rated by Runner's World for cross-training. DH sent me a link to a deal for the Peloton app, so I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes. We have long, cold winters and are likely to be quarantined for COVID (DS has a friend who is sick and waiting on test results), so I need something active to do! 

What’s the bike you are getting?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd proceed with caution and maybe check your states BBB reviews.  Apparently it's not uncommon to have to pay up front, and be given a delivery date in the near future, only to have that date move to months in the future.  People who were promised bikes in Oct are being rescheduled for January.  I'd be wary of their customer service track record.  If you're patient I feel reasonably sure you'd get it eventually, but if your family will get emotional about continued delays it could be a recipe for heartbreak.

My friends have also told me about the delays, so I second the above advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd proceed with caution and maybe check your states BBB reviews.  Apparently it's not uncommon to have to pay up front, and be given a delivery date in the near future, only to have that date move to months in the future.  People who were promised bikes in Oct are being rescheduled for January.  I'd be wary of their customer service track record.  If you're patient I feel reasonably sure you'd get it eventually, but if your family will get emotional about continued delays it could be a recipe for heartbreak.

Thanks for the warning. I researched and found that there is a long backlog. I just purchased the bike and before purchasing there is a huge warning that the original bikes are taking 5 to 10 weeks or more for delivery while the new version is backlogged 12 weeks or more. I am not planning for it arrive until January but it will be motivation for the new year. I will try to remember to update this post when I get the bike to post how long it took for delivery. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. I just ordered the bike and was sent an automated reply to schedule delivery.  The first date said Nov. 17 so I took it, but I am skeptical it really will come that day. Regardless my husband will be home that day so if they don't deliver it won't be a problem. Perhaps because I ordered the older model it will be delivered sooner?  Maybe it really will get delivered but I am not counting on it. As long as it it comes by the beginning of January I will be happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at Peletons a while ago.   I decided to find a good quality used bike and found a nice Spinning brand bike.    It was an $800 bike and I got it for $300 used.

However, I quickly discovered Spinning was not for me.    I thought that might be the case.   I am 4'11" and even though it is rated at 4'10" and above, it is really about the inseam and not the height.   My legs are short and I ended up really messing up my back by reaching for that downward motion back and forth as it was a bit of a stretch.

I sold the bike for $350 😂 so it was fine, but I really wanted to like spinning.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nart changed the title to Anyone have the peloton bike?- UPDATE

I am happy to report that my Peloton arrived today and so far my husband, son, and I have all taken a ride on it. I ordered it on 10/30 so it only took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive. When I ordered it said it could take 8 to 10 weeks. Not sure why mine came so quickly. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nart said:

I am happy to report that my Peloton arrived today and so far my husband, son, and I have all taken a ride on it. I ordered it on 10/30 so it only took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive. When I ordered it said it could take 8 to 10 weeks. Not sure why mine came so quickly. 

How do you like it so far?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

How do you like it so far?

So far we all enjoyed it. I took a 20 minute beginner class, my husband did a ride set to music from the 90's, and my 11 year old took a scenic ride through a national park in Taiwan for 20 minutes. My 13 year old just hurt his Achilles or would have ridden as well. He set up his profile and is looking forward to riding soon. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nart said:

So far we all enjoyed it. I took a 20 minute beginner class, my husband did a ride set to music from the 90's, and my 11 year old took a scenic ride through a national park in Taiwan for 20 minutes. My 13 year old just hurt his Achilles or would have ridden as well. He set up his profile and is looking forward to riding soon. 

Don't forget to download the app! As a member, you can get the app for free. Most content will be available through the bike tablet, but you can access all the running and outdoor content via the app. All the classes are outstanding!

I've been using the app for over four years with a Keiser m3i bike and a Sole treadmill. Over 2500 classes! It's a great community!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...