Menu

It seems Europe didn't do any better

SereneHome

5 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Y'all need a shower, sandwich, and a nap. 

Step away from social media and YouTube as your source for info on the state of the union and world. Those sources just amp up anxiety.

Always, lol. I always need a shower, sandwich and a nap. But I'm afraid the world doesn't look that much better if I look out of my window. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

It was not until March 19 that the US surpassed S Korea in total number of cases (which was still significantly less per population).  Back through the first half of March--the US APPEARED to be doing much better than S. Korea.  

It is easy to appear to not have a problem when the cdc doesn't allow testing and STOPS universitys and other medical researchers from performing tests even while people knew it was spreading. 

Most of us knew by the end of February or begining of March that we were doing dramatically worse than South Korea. We knew we weren't testing. We may not have known what it looked like but we knew there was a monster in the dark even if wecouldn't see it. 

Our first major outbreak was exposed Feb. 28. We knew it had time to spread throughout the Kirkland facility and people had already passed away from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m not understanding the US as well obviously as I don’t live there but one thing I’ve seen mentioned was invoking the defence production act for producing PPE not meat.  

Right. And I'm not sure they would have needed to even do that at first to have taken it seriously... I think people were OFFERING N95s to them. They didn't want them: 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/496980-hhs-turned-down-opportunity-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-at

If they could really make 2 million a week starting in January (and that's before you decide to expand things, which you could!)... well, that would have made a difference, let's say. Especially since places weren't being equally hard hit at the beginning.  Not all places were going to need masks in March. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, frogger said:

It is easy to appear to not have a problem when the cdc doesn't allow testing and STOPS universitys and other medical researchers from performing tests even while people knew it was spreading. 

I've backtracked some of the NY numbers. There were A LOT of cases here in February and early March, if I use the IFR to estimate the case load using the deaths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I am sorta being cheeky, but I am not sure that it is that far-fetched, to be honest. I think Californians are tired of sending money to red states that do nothing but bad-mouth them. At some point, you wonder: where is the glue, where the national unity that is holding us together as Americans? Putin really got his moneys worth out of Trump. Americans haven't been this divided in a long time. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/20/904195380/break-it-up-examines-the-history-of-secession-movements-in-the-u-s

@SeaConquestThe most ironic moment of 2020 for me was when Mr. Trump terminated American funding to the WHO citing mismanagement, cover-ups and lies! It made me wonder if mismanagement, cover-ups and lies can be used as reasons for the people of a state to refuse to pay into the Fed's coffers and decide to secede and become a Republic. I too am being sorta  tongue-in-cheek 🙂

I shake my head every time someone posts or says something that is anti-science because of the fact that millions of livelihoods in California are due to innovation in STEM and the Scientific Thinking Process and I can not fathom a world where people's "Freedoms" have been taken away by wearing a damn  mask to the grocery store during a wildly contagious pandemic. Millions of educated Californians, who work hard to pay trillions into the Fed's coffers feel frustrated every day when they hear moronic rhetoric day in and day out, see the refusal to send federal aid during catastrophes like the current wildfires, get PO'ed at being mocked for being a blue state even though we contribute a disproportionate amount of Federal taxes to benefit the very people who ridicule "Hollywood Californians", when we watch news about weird looking militia plotting to kill elected women officials, when we see a campaign to make mainstream america anti-science, when we see rumors fueling people's sentiments. Yup, a lot of people are weary and think that they can "meet this moment" in history as a Republic and drop out of this strange, divided and inconsiderate country that the US has become.

I think that if we stay a divided nation for much longer, there will be a reevaluation of what they get out of being part of the United States in several parts of America by people who do not agree with current popular sentiment - I see as much probability of that happening as a civil war.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here's a good graph of the wide differences between countries in the Nordic area of Europe:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102257/cumulative-coronavirus-cases-in-the-nordics/

The one country that did not lock down has multiple times the amount of cases than the others. There are vast differences in approaches and outcomes, which is why you can't say "Europe is doing badly". Some countries are, some aren't.

Also - when people say 'there's nothing to be done' - reminds me of the old Onion article about US gun control. https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Just to be clear: I wasn't making fun of you. At all. I too am very concerned about civil unrest during the post-election period. Very very concerned. You are not alone. I apologize if I made you feel that I was making fun of you. That was not my intent at all.

Got out of the house today for the first time after a two week quarantine due to helping my parents move.

There are carpenters all around where I live putting up boards on windows. I hoped it was for Halloween, but confirmed it is to protect against post-election rioting.

Maybe I need to just quarantine for a few more years. 😞

Emily

• Sad 4