Menu

If you’ve stocked up/restocked

For potential disruptions this winter, are there any specific things you’ve pegged for possible shortages?

Like, I feel pretty confident that there’s unlikely to be another toilet paper shortage. I have a decent emergency supply (as I do in normal times), but it seems like they’ve got that department under relative control and able to handle demand even if it comes down to generic and not so comfy toilet tissue at ridiculous prices.  I’m not exactly seeing shelves look like they used to on my rare trips inside a store, but they’re no longer close to bare.

I’ve thought about getting a Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham, but that’s SO much space to take up for the purpose of two meals.  I mean, yeah, they’ll provide for more than two meals, but still. I’m undecided.

Just trying to think about what holes I might not be seeing.

I always assume there will be a paper product shortage. It’s one of those things that often disappears in an emergency. 

You might want bottled water and 6-8 weeks of shelf stable food. I hope all the predictions of civil unrest are true, and we’ll only see fallout from more Covid infections in the supply chain. If there aren’t enough truck drivers to deliver everything what would you need?

The pattern of unavailable things was unpredictable here (other than things like Clorox wipes and tp). I did read that in a lot of cases the shortage or supply chain disruption was in the packaging material, which explains why it was the less-common products that were impossible to find. Companies directed scarce packaging first to their biggest sellers, so things that people buy the most of, paradoxically, were not the ones out of stock.

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

I always assume there will be a paper product shortage. It’s one of those things that often disappears in an emergency. 

You might want bottled water and 6-8 weeks of shelf stable food. I hope all the predictions of civil unrest are true, and we’ll only see fallout from more Covid infections in the supply chain. If there aren’t enough truck drivers to deliver everything what would you need?

Water storage definitely isn’t something we’re good at with our space limitations. I’m not *hugely* concerned about power issues except for possible delays if we have a weather outage. Our infrastructure has definitely improved since we first moved here.  Gun-to-my-head, we have access to fresh springs and the means to filter.  But we do keep a small amount stored.

If, for any reasons, things were to get REAL crazy, I think the thing I’d be most desperate for would be milk. And of course that’s just more heavy liquid, lol.

15 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Water storage definitely isn’t something we’re good at with our space limitations. I’m not *hugely* concerned about power issues except for possible delays if we have a weather outage. Our infrastructure has definitely improved since we first moved here.  Gun-to-my-head, we have access to fresh springs and the means to filter.  But we do keep a small amount stored.

If, for any reasons, things were to get REAL crazy, I think the thing I’d be most desperate for would be milk. And of course that’s just more heavy liquid, lol.

I remember this past spring it got impossible to find even dried milk for a while. I have some which I ordered in the midst of the shortages then, but never actually needed to use once it finally arrived. So, I guess you could get some of that now to have available, at least for cooking. It's not great for drinking, but maybe in a pinch?

Edited by Innisfree
12 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I remember this past spring it got impossible to find even dried milk for a while. I have some which I ordered in the midst of the shortages then, but never actually needed to use once it finally arrived. So, I guess you could get some of that now to have available, at least for cooking. It's not great for drinking, but maybe in a pinch?

We do have a little bit.  And a few boxes and evaporated milk cans. And one frozen gallon. The powdered stuff is definitely reserved for situations more desperate than I’m actually anticipating, but ya never know!
We do have a dairy that sells raw milk direct to customers as well as supplying to local stores, so we’re technically not completely reliant on an industrial supply. But the trip to the farm is inconvenient enough that it comes in just above using dried milk, lol.

• Like 1

Although freezer space may be as limited for you @Carrie12345 as much as other storage space, milk is good to keep in the freezer for having on hand as a necessary item (around here) as well as being helpful as big blocks of ice in case of power outage.  DD, who is very picky about her milk, says it tastes fine upon full thaw.

ETA - I see - typing my post as you were explaining your milk situation=)

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

Printer ink. We were out and I noticed the prices were higher than usual on Amazon (where I normally buy it). DH went to Staples and bought a couple boxes; the check-out guy told him something along the lines of, "You're lucky to have come in today. Black ink has been out for a while and we just got a little bit in today."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've stocked up on tomato products, rice, pasta, flour (and I have some yeast, though it's been a long time since I've made homemade bread), paper products, and cleaning products and wipes (which are still hard to find, so I buy one anytime I see it). Milk will be a problem if it becomes scarce again, so I have one package of dried milk and may get another. I use powdered milk in my homemade hot chocolate mix, and I just made a big batch of that. I grabbed a couple of cans of condensed milk and will probably get a few more.

I have more than the usual number of other canned goods -- maybe double what I normally have on hand, but not bulk stock, due to space issues. I will keep building this up, as I go to the store each week and will just stack them in the garage, since my shelves are full. I had grocery discount points to use this week, so I bought a lot of meat and will divide it up and add it to my freezer. My extra freezer is not huge, so I'm going to clean all of the bits and pieces out of my freezer attached to my fridge, so that I can fit more important things in there.

My store only had ONE turkey this week, though they did have a few small turkey breasts. I'm not sure if that means turkeys will be hard to find this year, but as soon as the store stocks them, I will pick one up and find a way to get it in my freezer somehow.

I think milk is definitely the hardest issue for us, too. We don't have room for any jugs in our freezer. I have some stock of juice and will get more, because I can store it at room temperature. It's not the same as milk, but it would give my kids something other than water to drink.

We need to get a generator, because power goes out often here, and I don't want to lose what I have in my freezer.

I'm finding the stocking up hard, because I have to think about it from so many angles. Right now I have a decent stock of basic items, to avoid out-of-stock situations, but I also think I need to get some easy-to-heat meals into the freezer, in case we have to quarantine, due to sickness. I have a few large cans of soup.

I wish my extra freezer were bigger, but I have to make what we have work. If I had more space, I would freeze milk, eggs, and loaves of bread.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Printer ink. We were out and I noticed the prices were higher than usual on Amazon (where I normally buy it). DH went to Staples and bought a couple boxes; the check-out guy told him something along the lines of, "You're lucky to have come in today. Black ink has been out for a while and we just got a little bit in today."

Oh, good thinking!

• Like 1

I make a lot of soup during the winter, and I'm guessing many people who are staying at home/cooking at home more will, too. So I'm thinking things like canned tomatoes (which have already been in short supply), canned beans and pre-made broth/stock may be in short supply. I'm especially trying to stock up (hah!) on Better than Bouillon, which I tend to use a lot not just for soups but for flavoring other things, too.

Some grocery stores here still are far from back to normal on TP, so while I don't really anticipate large scale outages of that, I am trying to stay a little more stocked than normal. Ditto for all paper products. Also multi-purpose cleaner concentrate.

• Like 3

We have Brexit coming on 31 December too.

I have tins of beans and tomatoes, and more dried beans. Dried lentils for sprouting. Pasta and rice.  Meat in the freezer. Stewed apple in the freezer and some frozen veg. And a carefully-nurtured relationship with a local organic veg box farm.

I think I need to get some salad seed and tomato seed.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

Around here cleaning supplies have been getting scarce for a while, and our surge isn't even that bad yet.    Cleaning wipes have been out at a lot of places.  

I had trouble getting vinegar a couple weeks ago.  

We could send you some!  Every supermarket here is ridiculously stocked with disinfectant and every place everywhere is selling mini sanitisers from a million different new brands that have popped up.  And because the pandemic is not making itself felt they seem to be just sitting around.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Thank you for that!  I had meant to order toner way back in late winter and simply forgot all about it.  I just placed a reorder which wound up being $10 lower than usual AND had a $6 coupon. Couldn’t have timed that better!

• Like 1

I think anything could be a problem and that flexibility will probably be important.

There may be fewer big Thanksgiving  / Christmas gatherings than usual, so big turkeys and hams might be relatively easy. But no guarantees.  And resumption of regular big gatherings or not may be local  based on laws and choice and typical family size.   (My guess locally would be that large families who get big turkey will still do that, but small families/singles who join each other for group TGing won’t so much and that demand for whole big turkeys will thus be lower than the turkeys hatched for the year. )

Locally combo of CV19, fires, weather, lockdowns and economy has been hard on farming.  I expect with variations that would be true elsewhere also. 

Distribution may be a problem. 

Personally I would probably freeze things that fit more compactly than a turkey and if turkey is not available at right time then have something else for Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

Masks.

Filters for air filter units (because of all the wildfires)

Cleaning supplies

Feminine hygiene stuff

Water filtering systems and filters—might be important in the event of civil unrest, and especially if there are employee shortages that lead to utility outages

Ditto little solar panels for charging phones and such.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Pen said:

Personally I would probably freeze things that fit more compactly than a turkey and if turkey is not available at right time then have something else for Thanksgiving

Yeah, I’m thinking the kids might be a lot happier with a couple gallons of ice cream than a 20lb turkey, lol.
My regular supermarket is still advertising its annual free turkey deal, so I guess they aren’t worried at this point. I’d like to think that they know better than me.

• Like 3

Do you have anyone with special dietary needs?  I am stocking up on special, “safe” foods.  We have 7 different anaphylactic allergies here, plus Celiac, so we have a strange selection of safe foods.  We can’t always just buy a different brand of a product.  And labeling for trace amounts is not reliable for our allergens, I have to contact each company.  Ugh.  So we are stocking up some on the things that we know are safe.

Canned goods, rice, canned and dried beans.  We have an extra freezer, so frozen veg and meats. We have some extra paper products.

I am not stocking up as much as I did prior to March.  Should we be?  

• Like 1

So I try *not* to stock up (beyond having a pantry that I could eat out of for several weeks) because I don't want to contribute to the problem. I also am seeing that the clearing out of our shelves is totally random. Like who is on the taco binge??? All the taco stuff in our stores is gone, lol. So fine, we'll eat something else.

That said, the one thing I actually STOCKED UP ON was ... vitamin D. I figure with all the scares and people talking about it being so helpful, supplies are going to get bought up. And since I HAVE to have vitamin D or we're a mess around here, that one I actually stocked up on. I have enough for us to take our winter doses (and the K2) all the way through next spring. I figure they can find more whatever it is they slay or make it from and make more by then. But if America goes crazy on D, I'm good.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Do you have anyone with special dietary needs?  I am stocking up on special, “safe” foods.  We have 7 different anaphylactic allergies here, plus Celiac, so we have a strange selection of safe foods.  We can’t always just buy a different brand of a product.  And labeling for trace amounts is not reliable for our allergens, I have to contact each company.  Ugh.  So we are stocking up some on the things that we know are safe.

Canned goods, rice, canned and dried beans.  We have an extra freezer, so frozen veg and meats. We have some extra paper products.

We don’t have any medical dietary issues, so that’s good, but I have one very picky eater and one pescatarian who is considering reincorporating chicken, so that’s... fun. 😐

I don’t know what to say about “should we”. I’ve been into emergency preparedness for years, so I kinda enjoy it, lol. I know that I want to be at least as prepared as I got in Feb/March, which was probably more than the average person. And my dh is more concerned now than he was then. He usually only tolerates my fixation and doesn’t make suggestions. He has a friend who works in local government, and that guy is upping his preparation, so dh suggested I top us off wherever I think we need to.  *I think we’re pretty okay, but dh’s push has me on edge, lol.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So I try *not* to stock up (beyond having a pantry that I could eat out of for several weeks) because I don't want to contribute to the problem. I also am seeing that the clearing out of our shelves is totally random. Like who is on the taco binge??? All the taco stuff in our stores is gone, lol. So fine, we'll eat something else.

That said, the one thing I actually STOCKED UP ON was ... vitamin D. I figure with all the scares and people talking about it being so helpful, supplies are going to get bought up. And since I HAVE to have vitamin D or we're a mess around here, that one I actually stocked up on. I have enough for us to take our winter doses (and the K2) all the way through next spring. I figure they can find more whatever it is they slay or make it from and make more by then. But if America goes crazy on D, I'm good.

Yeah, I’ve been struggling to get ahold of our preferred vitamins, so I’ve been grabbing whatever ones I can sometimes. Even still, with 6 of us, I’m really only keeping 1 or 2 unopened bottles per type (mens, kids, womens, and a D.) 12+/day goes quickly when I’m trying to hold out for the giant bottles we like.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Yeah, I’ve been struggling to get ahold of our preferred vitamins, so I’ve been grabbing whatever ones I can sometimes. Even still, with 6 of us, I’m really only keeping 1 or 2 unopened bottles per type (mens, kids, womens, and a D.) 12+/day goes quickly when I’m trying to hold out for the giant bottles we like.

Amazon or iHerb?

I was surprised to find out Swanson sells all kinds of brands and has good deals.

3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I don’t think big stock up / runs on things which itself causes outages/shortages/panic is at all a good idea.  

But I think a gradual increase with a little more than needed is probably a good idea. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

We don’t have any medical dietary issues, so that’s good, but I have one very picky eater and one pescatarian who is considering reincorporating chicken, so that’s... fun. 😐

I don’t know what to say about “should we”. I’ve been into emergency preparedness for years, so I kinda enjoy it, lol. I know that I want to be at least as prepared as I got in Feb/March, which was probably more than the average person. And my dh is more concerned now than he was then. He usually only tolerates my fixation and doesn’t make suggestions. He has a friend who works in local government, and that guy is upping his preparation, so dh suggested I top us off wherever I think we need to.  *I think we’re pretty okay, but dh’s push has me on edge, lol.

I hear you on the preparation!  We were definitely over-prepared in March.  We are still very well stocked, but lacking in a surplus of some of the fun foods we had on hand before, we tend to plow through those pretty quickly, ha!  We have room for it, so I’m thinking we could stock up more. Our experience with supply shortages last spring wasn’t terribly upsetting, I think because we were so well stocked.  Maybe I shouldn’t relax too much.  We came through the spring without shopping shortage PTSD because we already had it all on hand, thanks to WTMers.

Would you say your level of preparation is comparable to March? 

One other item, that may or may not apply to everyone ... we have stocked up on wine.  Laithwhite’s and Wine Insiders have had some good sales, and we took advantage of those.  Enough to need to install a bigger wine rack in the basement.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the Life Straw water filter system for a family from someone’s recommendation on my “food for emergency” thread. I have also bought six (so far) cans of chili - not something we normally eat canned, but I tried it and it would do in an emergency - and a box of ready mac and cheese. I got two big bags of KA all-purpose flour. We bought a second freezer a couple months ago and have an order in for a half steer.  I also have canned tuna in reserve, and peanut butter. I just got a storage tote yesterday for making up my emergency kit. I plan to put labels on all the cans with the expiration large in Sharpie so we can tell at a glance which things need to be used. 

I would like to stock up on medicines and vitamins, which have dwindled because I couldn’t get replacements. Oh, that reminds me I should get a spare cat kibble as well. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 4

I live in the north, it gets cold and snowy and I'm a wimp.  I always stock up this time of year to minimize my outings in winter.  With covid I'm doing that plus a a bit more. I don't like shopping in good times so it's normal for me to buy say 12 containers of noodles mixes at a time (but when you need 4 for a meal, it's really not stocking up as much as it might appear), or 20 jars of spaghetti sauce. I figured it's much better to stock up now than wait.  If there comes another panic buy, I can just skip grocery shopping for a month and avoid being part of the problem.  Right now they are restocking mostly normally, so it makes the most sense to buy extras now if you can.  

So other than milk and fresh veggies,  I've got several months of food on hand.  I will buy some more sprout seeds to have on hand.  If fresh veggies become as difficult to get as they were this spring, I can use sprouts to fill in for some of that need.  

As far as other things go.  I've tried to assess all clothing, hygiene, household etc needs.  With the exception of boots for youngest, I'm pretty well set for the next 6 months.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Would you say your level of preparation is comparable to March? 

I’d say it’s probably slightly more than March, but a big part of that is because we finally got an additional (and LARGE) freezer. Had I had that in March, I would have just filled it then, yk?
I’m more organized and targeted at this point.  I also know it doesn’t take a mandate to get me to avoid shopping if I don’t need to, so I’m thinking more about comfort levels than any specific events.  

I’ve learned I don’t need a stockpile of bleach (one jug is still more than enough for us), but my kids go through shower supplies faster than I had realized. And even though we use microfiber cleaning towels quite a lot, we still manage to go through more paper towels than I thought we did.
Oh, and that Chewy deliveries can get weird, so I have to pay better attention to pet food and litter. We’ve had both too much and too little throughout this year!

I’ve also managed to give my kids a boxed macaroni and cheese addiction that I don’t think they’ll be coming back from.

• Like 2

I'm not very well stocked because we simply don't have room.  

We are actually back into some shortages here....notably paper goods, dish soap, cleaning supplies, and hand soap.  We usually have one option available---it's not completely empty---but it's clear supply isn't meeting demand. We oddly have tons of hand sanitizer everywhere.  Dh couldn't find our preferred brands in dishwasher tabs, but they were available. We're seeing some missing product in canned goods---tomatoes are finally back, but pumpkin, some soups, and some niche products are out.  The shelves are full, but they are stocking duplicates of some items and there are gaps of others. From our grocery list of about 40 items last week, only about 5 were missing. 3 had substitutes.

If we had multiple anaphylactic food allergies, I'd be stacking buckets in the living room, and calling it a permanent play fort.  We're not there, though, since dd passed, so we can weather food issues pretty well. I don't think we're going to be starving this winter, just as we weren't in the spring, but I think we will see more supply chain breakdowns as things progress this winter.....particularly for fresh items and meat which require constant processing and distribution.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve also managed to give my kids a boxed macaroni and cheese addiction that I don’t think they’ll be coming back from.

This made me LOL!  My kids are now addicted to their safe boxed Mac and Cheese (dairy and gluten free), and I finally put a case of it on Amazon Subscribe and Save.  🤣

• Like 2

Eggs we always managed to get some even when the stores out all summer but with winter coming I'm worried it will be hard.  So I got a carton of frozen eggs from the restaurant supply so we can at least bake.  

Feminine hygiene and diapers we have stocked up plus invested in more cloth stuff to.

Otherwise I'm just making the freezer and pantry are full.

We normally buy a years worth of meat at a time and we just did that a few weeks ago. We also do bulk oats and flour, but we recently added bread flour, which was difficult to find before.  We bought extra berkey filters and air filters.  We got two extra gas cans and a chain saw as well.  (During summer riots the authorities shut down our gas stations so the rioters couldn't keep dousing things in it.)  Picked up a rocket stove too so that we could cook without draining gas that we might need for the generator.

Good idea on printer ink, adding that to my Amazon cart.

So I had to run errands today and popped into my regular supermarket specifically for sugar free peanut butter. I don’t know why that’s so hard to find elsewhere!  They had almost no gallon sized freezer bags in any brand. Any other size you want, though!  And they rearranged things to stock an area with bulk rice. 

I have been anticipating shortages for months now.  Just a gut feeling.  I went ahead and made out our menus for all upcoming holidays and then from that made a master ingredient list.  Then added a few things to each food shopping trip.  So we are stocked with all holiday food ingredients needed (except fresh, of course).  I have also continued to build my vitamin, meds, cleaner, tp, paper towel, and other non-food products supplies.  We are far better stocked than we were in the spring.  I also replace products as soon as I open one so that we are constantly fully stocked.   We don't have a chest freezer, which is an endless sore spot with me (hubby dropped the ball), which is limiting the amount of frozen things I can stock up on and it makes me anxious.  But I am doing the best I can.   We have food and supplies stashed in several different locations in the house.  Even with all this it doesn't feel like enough.  But I know that is anxiety (with a capital A) talking.

• Thanks 1

I stocked up slowly over the summer and now I just need to remember to maintain levels. I only go to Costco every 4-6 weeks--I will go once more Nov 18 (I'm off work) and then not again until mid-January. I'll find myself thinking, "oh, I have enough chicken to last until Jan, I don't really need to get more in November," but then I remember that I don't want to be just running out come January, because I don't know if it will be available then. So I need to keep inventory full, not just think about if we'll eke it out until the next run. I about cried in Costco in June when I hadn't been for a few months and really needed chicken and they were out. They were limiting people to one package and they were still out.

I'm stocking up on the things I normally stock up on this time of year. Baking supplies--I buy a couple of package of chocolate chips per week this time of year. This year's canned pumpkin is in now: Libby's for $1.88 for 15 oz can and the local organic brand (I think it's Farmer's Market?) was on sale this week for $2 per can. 6 cans per year for us has been plenty. Swanson's less-sodium chicken stock. This always sells out when the grocery stores do their big deals this time of year (~$0.50-$0.65 per can). I finally just figured out that Costco sells an 8-pack of the lower sodium variety, I think less than $0.50 per can. I bought two 8 packs and I don't have to stress about grocery stores running out.

I think smaller turkeys will sell out. If I can't get a 12 lb, we could do chicken, but I will try to get it a little early to get what we want. But freezer space is tight--I usually get it the Friday of the week before and just put it straight into the fridge. I want it a little earlier than that, so I think I'll need freezer space (and so soon after my Costco run).

We're good on paper supplies, cleaning product, and meds. Stocked up on meds in March and haven't used a thing!

Cleaning supplies - I have refill sized bottles for everything. They usually fill the original container 2-3 times.

soap - we use bar soap in the shower and liquid soap for hand soap. I keep two refill botttles for the soap on hand at this point.

paper towel & toilet paper - I've been buying this in bulk for years. Now I keep one extra set on the garage shelf in case we can't find it when we need it.

staples - flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, olive oil, canola oil, pan spray, pastas, tomato sauce & paste, tea & coffee, seasonings, butter, milk, condiments - not keeping extra of this at this point, I just make sure we don't run out. If things start looking bleak I will probably get one extra of flour, sugar, olive oil and some extra tomato sauce & paste.

meats - We usually buy for only one or two meals at a time, but now I buy for a week or more at a time. Not crazy, but certainly more than before.

fruit & vegetables - I  have baking potatoes, onions, garlic & shallots. We eat fresh fruit & vegetables, so I don't buy more than a week at a time. I do have a bag of frozen green beans and a bag of frozen sugar peas in case we need them. I am going to do an herb garden in the spring.

Freezer bags, plastic cling wrap and parchment paper have been in short supply here all summer and fall. I have been having to store hop to find it.

I normally buy 4 2-packs of parchment paper each fall from Costco....am a bit worried it hasn’t shown up yet in the store.

• Like 2

Thanks to this thread, I just topped everything off.  We are really well set, I think, other than fresh foods and perhaps some holiday baking supplies.  I’ll place a King Arthur order, and probably order more Better Batter (which I’ve just discovered, and love!).

I’ll probably buy a bit of extra with every trip, but no massive shopping trips that would contribute to empty shelves.  We have enough to get by, should the need arise, but I think we’d be happier if the stores stay stocked enough for us to pick up our favorite foods. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Freezer bags, plastic cling wrap and parchment paper have been in short supply here all summer and fall. I have been having to store hop to find it.

I normally buy 4 2-packs of parchment paper each fall from Costco....am a bit worried it hasn’t shown up yet in the store.

I found freezer bags at costco after months of not being able to find any and I think that they have that shortage under control now.

There was no parchment paper to be found anywhere for a long time (including costco) and I have been complaining about it for a while now. My DH noticed a good deal recently on amazon for parchment paper and ordered 4 rolls for me (amazon drops the price on this product frequently if you are looking for a lot of parchment paper ) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFYT8MC

• Like 2

Parchment paper is always seasonal at Costco...ours usually runs out by February. It’s not a big deal when I can do an October stockup...but I go through about 850’ of it a year. I think I may save up to do a restaurant store purchase instead. I just hate that it comes in one huge box rather than rolls that open up space in the pantry through the year. I may also look into just installing a huge roll and a cutter.

#bigfamilyproblems

We are doing what I hope is our last before Christmas Costco run on Tuesday, right after voting. I am hoping for parchment paper too! I did manage to get some at Walmart and have a roll I got when I placed a Vitacost order a while back. but I like having my big roll. 

We are also stocking up on a lot of things, like chicken brother, nuts, other baking items. Coffee. Probably some whole chickens and chuck roasts. I had previously stocked up on canned beans and have several bags of various dried beans. 

Not sure if I am more worried about weather, shortages, or unrest after the election. Maybe a little of all 3. 

I haven't really thought about turkey yet. One of my kids will be really sad if there is no turkey on Thanksgiving; chicken will not do. But of course if we can't get one, we can't get one. We won't starve on the day.  🙂

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I stopped buying parchment paper when I discovered silicone mats. I find them to be so much easier, plus of course they are reusable forever so you never run out. And if you ask for some for Christmas, they are free! Lol 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I stopped buying parchment paper when I discovered silicone mats. I find them to be so much easier, plus of course they are reusable forever so you never run out. And if you ask for some for Christmas, they are free! Lol 

I've read about that for years and finally bit the bullet and bought some for the dried fruit leather I make.  I thought it would be perfect since the silicone sheets were the exact size of the dehydrator trays.  Let's just say it was big fat failure.  It took twice as long to dry and then when I tried to pack them away they all stuck together so I still I had to cut something up to put between them.  I'm sure for some uses the silicone is better but not for my application.

I used the summer/early fall months for stocking up on toilet paper and such and oh my, I'm so glad I did! Paper products are flying off shelves, Costco has run out 11 times over the last 3 weeks or so. It felt awfully familiar and really not good to see the glaringly empty paper aisle last night at Costco and again this morning at Wal-Mart. Aside from fresh fruit and milk (we have about 3 gallons frozen) we're set, thank goodness. And my dh made fun of me for buying extra t.p. over the summer...

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 6:51 AM, alisoncooks said:

Yes, this has been a big thing for me for work.

Vitamins, Cat food, cat litter, and contacts for me are what I have stocked up on lately.

Things I will probably start stocking up on:

Toilet paper, Disinfecting wipes, jars of marinara sauce, meat for the freezer (we don't have a ton of freezer space, though), snacks for the kids, and I always stock up on the sodas everyone likes when they are on sale.