Menu

Who else is getting ready for Zeta?

popmom

Zeta will still be a hurricane when it hits us. Not our first rodeo, but it's been years since we've taken a direct hit like this. DH is trying to get the generator to start. I've secured the patio furniture as best I can. We've got fresh batteries in the flashlights. It's going to be a long night. I think we have a couple of hours before it starts getting bad here. 

I know our friends on the coast are so weary of this. It's been a rough fall.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, katilac said:

We lost power a while ago. I would complain that it's getting hot, but we've been so lucky this year that I will try to just shut up 🤐

I think I just signed up for the no complaint challenge lol, so I will have to be careful. 

DH just figured out the carburetor is bad on the generator. That's ok. It's just my freezer is stocked full of meat right now. We'll deal. 

This really caught me off guard. Last I checked, they were saying it would only be a TS at landfall. 

I hope you get your power back quickly--it has been so warm and muggy today.

Edited by popmom

We just heard that my mother-in-law (in Mandeville near the lake) made it through OK. No house damage or flooding.

She refused to go to any of my sister-in-laws’ homes and stayed home alone instead. She’s 86 years old & we were worried all day long...Thank goodness Zeta is a fast-moving storm.

Hope everyone else is OK, too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Hopefully, y'all will fare well. You should be on the "good side" of the storm.

There are over 800,000 households without power currently across LA, MS, and AL. 

But my daughter is visiting her boyfriend in the southern Birmingham suburbs and while the storm was still far away, small trees were falling down and one fell on a car two cars down.   That was last night.  Haven't heard from her yet this morning and it is early and if they were up all night with storm, she may still be sleeping/

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

But my daughter is visiting her boyfriend in the southern Birmingham suburbs and while the storm was still far away, small trees were falling down and one fell on a car two cars down.   That was last night.  Haven't heard from her yet this morning and it is early and if they were up all night with storm, she may still be sleeping/

That's basically where I am. We lost power around 2 but got it back about an hour ago. The chainsaws started up around 8 this morning and that went on for hours. 

I'm very grateful it wasn't worse. Hope your daughter is ok.

1 hour ago, popmom said:

That's basically where I am. We lost power around 2 but got it back about an hour ago. The chainsaws started up around 8 this morning and that went on for hours. 

I'm very grateful it wasn't worse. Hope your daughter is ok.

Yes, and her car is too.  She went out this morning and there were a lot of trees down but her car was spared.   Lots of power out in rural areas of Alabama too where power restoration takes longer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, popmom said:

@katilacdid you have any damage? 

No damage! My poor neighbor had a tree fall across not one, but both of their cars. 

Still no power. We do have a small generator that should save the freezer contents if it doesn't take forever. I need to do a cost analysis of running the generator vs refilling the freezer, multiplied by days, adding the aggravation of cleaning the freezer out . . . I should have paid more attention in algebra. 

• Haha 1