Menu

New Covid lock downs in Germany and France: Schools are staying open

sassenach

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

Taiwan also has a populace that almost entirely went along with the quarantine without breaking it. There were apparently no illicit social visits between guards and people in quarantine as in Australia, not lots of people supposed to be quarantined but actually going places like in USA and parts of Europe. Iirc one person broke quarantine and the Taiwanese were absolutely shocked and appalled that anyone would do such a thing. 

(This is part of why I am

Happy to get Taiwanese Happy Masks)

Which is interesting, because Taiwan has a politically and ethnically diverse population under democratic administration.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Which is interesting, because Taiwan has a politically and ethnically diverse population under democratic administration.

I think a very different inner “mindset”!

Possibly also more SARS1 experience—I cannot remember if they had SARS1 experience, but I think yes—helped for popularity of complying  strictly with quarantine. 

Maybe if another pandemic hits before SARS 2 is a distant memory people in US, UK, EU, etc will be more ready to take early action to try to stop it before going endemic (aside perhaps for vaccine) is likely .

It is possible that East Asian countries fared better in part from Genetics also - perhaps that Neanderthal gene thing. 

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

Possibly also more SARS1 experience—I cannot remember if they had SARS1 experience, but I think yes—helped for popularity of complying  strictly with quarantine. 

Maybe if another pandemic hits before SARS 2 is a distant memory people in US, UK, EU, etc will be more ready to take early action to try to stop it before going endemic (aside perhaps for vaccine) is likely .

It is possible that East Asian countries fared better in part from Genetics also - perhaps that Neanderthal gene thing. 

I also seem to remember seeing a couple of twitter people saying they were from Taiwan and that they think their general distrust of messaging coming from the WHO and from China early on might have helped them. (Because they have objections to not being recognised officially by WHO or something like that?)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

This document from back in April on Taiwan’s response is interesting.  They certainly started taking things seriously much much earlier than us.  They began checking Wuhan passengers from fever and pneumonia from 31/12/2019

https://cdn.jamanetwork.com/ama/content_public/journal/jama/0/jvp200035supp1_prod.pdf?Expires=2147483647&Signature=bIZCLS7ZLWTJd~U~H40JgiEGdFb3ggVUJpBvJ7KdANK7HgK1zaj4uWHvqweGym1nWfO~nXt9Y5i1vX79pF7zjjqfzmJAy3udTdpVVZQe07xnQIPcBMXLwZ5XjgTO8yKFXVIpxsXhrmOu8sGSpKiEmQ86ZCKfOTar7fMAGmUCtjiYVFwf31K3REWAA-r3hZyoZpqz3QKpVgpsRpF9fV9thQCq0~yvbvRKTH4PcoB~CZgmXH7rpVb6bILXQn5zBCphf6pyLAa4zIebUEKfCdCYdSdi9LeIEUsesqsYpNWgHJcr4K1LC0hFlst0RHQz-vZ7I-OvrX~5jel6zjjtuDQzjQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIE5G5CRDK6RD3PGA

• Like 1

Oh yes, most definitely they took things very seriously early on. What I find fascinating is with compliant population (quarantine when needed, mask wearing, contact tracing) they were able to completely avoid any shutdowns. That just shows what is possible if we really try. 
And I think Asian culture also is more accustomed to wear masks. I put mine the very first time in March. It was completely alien to me. So I think that helped them as well. 

• Like 1