Menu

How can an adult get their classical learning certified or credentialed?

I'm (another) one of those adults looking to get a classical education after age 40. I've started reading The Well-Educated Mind, and am already finding it more insightful than I anticipated. What I'm wondering now is how I can verify or validate my classical education in a way recognized in the classical learning community. Are there any real options?

To be clear, I already have a legal high school diploma as well as two degrees in engineering, so compliance with state homeschooling regulations is pretty much irrelevant for me. I also know that I am likely going into the journey with more general literacy, worldly wisdom, experience, and motivation than the average homeschooled child, so classroom time guidelnes (e.g. two years of X) may not be relevant to how long it would take me to master the same material even if I am not legally required to follow them.

I do know that a big part of the journey is the journey itself rather than the diploma at the end, but my mind tends to work in a very process-oriented manner - do this, do that, complete at least eight of the following ten activities, pass the comprehensive examination, then I am done. There is also the problem that since I don't really have a strong background in classics (my Latin is pretty bad, and I never managed to make it all the way through Emma), I'm not really sure how I could realistically track my own progress or write out and sign a credible homeschool transcript for myself (not to mention the obvious conflict of interest in grading my own work). I will also confess a growing interest in possibly becoming a classical teacher someday, and that makes me wonder how I would ever prove my education to a skeptical faculty hiring panel if I didn't go the traditional route in youth. I'd like to be able to say, "I studied classics under Elizabeth D. Robinson from 2021 to 2022, completing all six levels of the St. Augustine Accelerated Remedial Logic curriculum and scoring second place in the Tri-State Classical Rhetoric Bowl Adult Learner Division. I did so well that she sponsored me for the Adult Proficiency Equivalency Diploma in Classical Studies at Trinity Trivium Academy!" rather than, "I read these books and I think I'm better at Latin than I was last year, so I must be classically educated.".

In a nutshell, I'm looking for ways to get my classical learning assessed and earn some type of diploma or other learning credential. Can someone point me to organizations, schools, examination boards, or teachers that do this?

Welcome! I would say that your education and credentials need to match your job expectations. If you want to teach classics at the high school or college level, you will be in the academic world and you will need academic credentials. If you want to be a homeschool consultant, your customers may still feel more comfortable with credentials, or maybe they won't care. We're a diverse bunch, so I can't speak for us all. 

Several universities have classics departments and classics degrees. I'd start with a web search and see what comes up, and see if any are online only. With Covid and all, your chances of getting a quality classics education are now much greater. My alma mater, University of Colorado, Boulder, has a great classics department and several degree options. I'm pretty sure they are available online now. 

As for not going the traditional path in youth, don't worry about that. Your prior degrees show you have broad abilities. It's not too late to get another degree or take classes in the classics. Don't think that you are too old to go back to school, ever. 

All the best!

• Like 1

I got what I learned from homeschooling my children "credentialed" by getting two master's degrees: one in humanities (interdisciplinary) and the other in gifted education.  I'd also like to get a second bachelor's degree in math (first is in biochemistry), but we'll see.

• Like 2

Welcome!

Self-educating in the classics is wonderful goal. For a formal degree in classical studies, I would suggest looking for a "Great Books" program or Classical Studies program at a college that is well-known for its classical education. St. John's College (with campuses in Santa Fe and Annapolis) is one example that comes to mind.

If wanting to become a classical education teacher, I would suggest a degree in Education--at a minimum you would need a teaching certificate. But I would also recommend doing some coursework in teaching in order to learn basic classroom management techniques and various teaching methodologies. Teaching / mentoring / tutoring one's own children in a homeschool setting is incredibly different than classroom teaching -- as I have been discovering first-hand, having homeschooled, and now teaching in a classroom. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.

I know nothing about this, but CAP has a program called Classical U. I guess this would be an alternative to going and getting another degree, but I don't know how "saleable" this line of courses is in terms of marketing yourself later

https://www.classicalu.com/

Yeah, looking at this again, I don't think this is what you mean.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Also recommending classicalU.com. It has a series of short courses in classical learning and also in pedagogy. I participated in a 6 week book club with authors Clark and Jain reading their book The Liberal Arts Tradition: A Philosophy of Christian Classical Education this summer - most of the other participants were directors of schools - through CAP. Science and math teachers who have changed careers from engineering are valued. Check out the careers of John Mays, author of the Novare Science curriculum at Classical Academic Press, or Derek Owens.

• Like 2