Menu

Christmas gifts dilemma, (age appropriateness)(hoverboard)

Janeway

Son is 11 yrs old. He likes anything science, computer, and gadget. Daughter is 9 yrs old. She likes anything artsy, dolls, make believe. Son is 5 yrs old. He likes everything. He is easy going. He likes Legos most. 5 yr old really wants Minecraft Legos..great! Daughter actually wants a Baby Alive Growing up..great...bought. Son, 11 yrs old, has not asked for anything. He did mention the Lego ISS and I have also already bought that. We have never allowed electric vehicle type things because we want to encourage the kids to do physical things, not just sit on a toy and push a button. But, it would seem to me that these electric hoverboards would take exercise because of needing to stay upright and everything. I was sort of thinking of getting one for son. I showed up an ad and he says yes, he would love one. But daughter saw me showing him and she jumped in with telling me she wants it too! She says she no longer wants the doll and now just wants the hoverboard too. Now, I feel like if 11 yr old gets a hoverboard, 9 yr old will get upset that she did not get one. I am very opposed to get getting one. And if she gets one, 5 yr old will want to know why he doesn't get one. 5 yr old is the "me too" kind of little brother. Plus, he is super sweet and gentle. I really don't want anyone to be hurt or upset on Christmas morning. 

I am thinking maybe I should not even give him a Hoverboard and save the drama that could unfold. After all, I would like to see him riding his bike again. If he had a hoverboard, it would like just all the more discourage bike riding. To top it off, all these kids wanted skate boards a couple months ago and if I got the same thing for all three, I would rather go with a skate board.  But, again, middle son is 11 yrs old now. Just so torn...any good advice? And any experience with Hoverboards?

In my observation, those hoverboards are not good gifts. They are right up there with inexpensive drones for getting used one time on Christmas Day, wrecked, and never touched again. 

My kids have not personally had one. I have seen my nephews get them, though. They do it a few times, fall back and get mildly hurt, and move on to toys that are more easily controlled. 

I don’t think they are worth it. 

• Like 3

I think it's unfair to your oldest to be shown something, and told it's something he can ask for, and then to be told no because of younger sibling behavior.  I think it's fine for younger siblings to see older siblings get things and know they'll need to wait, even if that means you have to live with some drama.

I'd sit the 9 year old down and explain that she can ask for this for Christmas when she's 10 or 11 or whatever, and get the reaction over with before Christmas.  

• Like 16

My now 12 year loves his hoverboard, and he got it when he was 11. Such a great gift choice for him. Keeps him super happy and busy. What I would do in your situation is pick an age minimum older than your younger ones ages and just say that's how old he and DD need to be to get one too. Do you think your DD will be ready at 11 to operate a hoverboard?

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I have a different thought process.

I am a big believer in fitness and play especially as a lifestyle. I am also an equally big believer in safety. My son does rock climbing in the gym.  

There are two things my kids would love, a mini trampoline for my daughter who is 4. Son is 13 and would love a hoverboard.  

With this being COVID winter and indoor amusements needed I researched these two so much. This is what I found about hoverboards. Too many doctors cautioning. A few I found.

https://www.chop.edu/news/don-t-try-home-why-you-should-say-no-hoverboards

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/03/26/pphoverboards032618

Mini trampolines are not recommended for children under 6.

We are buying things like a chest freezer and meat for the first time as a family and taking all precaution. For us it would not make sense then to go and buy things like a hoverboard and mini trampoline where the risk of injury is too high with the hospitals being what they are especially with this COVID season. 

I would recommend not buying the hoverboard this year for anyone. 

I know several kids that visited the ER because of hoverboards. One was just trying out her friend’s and ended up in a cast. I just told my 13 y.o. that we would not be getting one of those.

There is nothing wrong with getting one kid a toy and telling the younger ones they are not old enough for that toy. I mean, someday the 11 yo will get a driving permit, and no matter how much the younger ones want one too, they will not be eligible. Kids understand that. 

But I'd be hesitant for a hoverboard too. I might be tempted to find a friend who has one and let him try that one out (if appropriate) to make sure he really likes it. Why not consider a unicycle instead? 

• Like 3

Interesting about the safety hazard. DS has let so many kids use his hoverboard (in the house) without incident. His BF has had one for years too, and his parents are much more cautious than we are. We've never had any trampoline issues (three high school kids who've been jumping since they were little) either, so IDK. I do teach my kids and enforce safety and common sense issues.

Just using it in the house is an excellent place to start, if possible. I wouldn't send my kid out on open pavement or road without getting his bearings first.

Edited by IfIOnly

I mean I know all of my children would rather have a hoverboard than a doll, even the ones who love dolls.  So, I see where your dd is coming from.  But it is appropriate to set an age limit on owning a hoverboard and then your dd doesn't qualify for the thing yet.

• Like 3

I don't know anything about hoverboards so this is about gifts in general. Since you showed a hoverboard ad to your son, he is probably going to anticipate getting one. So if you decide not to, you should let him know that.

I'm not a big fan of withholding things from an older kid for fear younger siblings will be upset. I've seen families do this and it usually causes long-term resentment.. If you get it, tell the youngers that it is his, and they may not use it. Get them cool stuff you know they will like.

• Like 7

Kids in our neighborhood ride their hoverboards all the time.  I have been against them since I read the article of them starting fires.  

I don't think you should hold back the older one from getting one because of the younger siblings.   But that being said if you get one and don't want the younger ones on it you are going to be policing that all day everyday.

I would first decide if you are even okay with getting a hoverboard, then if that's a yes, go from there with how to handle the younger sibling(s).  I am in the camp that it's not fair to the older to not get because of the younger.  I think a talk on age requirements for that type of toy is good and/or do a birthday.  I think this is an issue that's not going to go away anyway with a spread in age.

What I've found is my son will use his hoverboard but also his bike, as it just puts him outside being active.  Or him and a friend take turns between the two.  I have not noticed a decline in physical activity from it.  

We only allow it to be charged when we are home and awake.  It can not be plugged in otherwise.  

• Like 1

Balancing a hoverboard is a great physical activity!

Hoverboards require a lot of muscle control and abdominal muscle strength, so some people may not do well on them. But if you're healthy and don't have any health conditions, that would keep you off one; get into it with your kids for a full workout.

https://www.thejoint.com/louisiana/monroe/monroe-18001/268678-health-benefits-hoverboard#:~:text=Hoverboards require a lot of,kids for a full workout.

We got a hoverboard for DD on her 8th bday and she loves it. So does DD12 and even sometimes the teenagers. I have a friend irl whose 3 year old used theirs and could zip around on that thing like a pro! We bought a higher end one and have had no problems with it.

I see no reason why an older kid can't get one without a younger kid getting one. *shrug* But you could always give it as a group gift. In our house it would get shared anyway.

• Like 3

I won a hoverboard two years ago and my son, 10 at the time I got it, took to it right away.  My ods, dd, and I all rode the heck out of that thing.  We loved it.  YDS, 6 at the time and 25% for weight, wasn't heavy enough for the sensor to trip it until he reached 45 pounds this past spring.  Then he was also able to ride it pretty well.  We had the side to side kind (like a skateboard riding position) that I feel is slightly safer, but I did make everyone wear a helmet when we were in the learning stage.  Once the battery would no longer hold a charge we recycled it and replaced with used rip sticks I picked up for cheap.  I think my older two get as much use out of them as they did the hover board.  Plus, without the motor it is easier to pick up and carry or throw into a trunk.  The rip stick is pretty fun too. I think it is a bit more difficult to learn the rip stick though; my very athletic/coordinated 7 yo can't do the rip-stick yet.  So that's my long-winded way of suggesting rip sticks for everyone or perhaps hover board for older and rip stick for middle child.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

I won a hoverboard two years ago and my son, 10 at the time I got it, took to it right away.  My ods, dd, and I all rode the heck out of that thing.  We loved it.  YDS, 6 at the time and 25% for weight, wasn't heavy enough for the sensor to trip it until he reached 45 pounds this past spring.  Then he was also able to ride it pretty well.  We had the side to side kind (like a skateboard riding position) that I feel is slightly safer, but I did make everyone wear a helmet when we were in the learning stage.  Once the battery would no longer hold a charge we recycled it and replaced with used rip sticks I picked up for cheap.  I think my older two get as much use out of them as they did the hover board.  Plus, without the motor it is easier to pick up and carry or throw into a trunk.  The rip stick is pretty fun too. I think it is a bit more difficult to learn the rip stick though; my very athletic/coordinated 7 yo can't do the rip-stick yet.  So that's my long-winded way of suggesting rip sticks for everyone or perhaps hover board for older and rip stick for middle child.

My guys loved rip sticks too.

Wheels of all kinds (scooters, bikes, electric bikes, roller blades, hoverboard, etc.), a trampoline, and a dog (and other animals, but at least a dog) are about all I need to keep this crew happy. Well, besides technology! 😉

Edited by IfIOnly

We have a hoverboard. I don’t think it’s inherently more dangerous than a bike or a skateboard or anything with wheels. A favorite uncle gave it to the kids. The kids loved it, but I made it stay indoors so it wasn’t really something they did for exercise. My middle son could vacuum while riding it and usually did that when it was his turn. It made chores more fun for sure.  

We also have rip-sticks, bikes, skateboards, unicycles, and scooters. They all used to get a lot of use when the boys were in middle school. The rip-sticks in particular were beloved. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bambam said:

There is nothing wrong with getting one kid a toy and telling the younger ones they are not old enough for that toy. I mean, someday the 11 yo will get a driving permit, and no matter how much the younger ones want one too, they will not be eligible. Kids understand that. 

But I'd be hesitant for a hoverboard too. I might be tempted to find a friend who has one and let him try that one out (if appropriate) to make sure he really likes it. Why not consider a unicycle instead? 

We bought a unicycle this year too and it is h.a.r.d. to learn to ride, even for our teens! And also it was difficult to find one in stock during the shutdown.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alice said:

We have a hoverboard. I don’t think it’s inherently more dangerous than a bike or a skateboard or anything with wheels. A favorite uncle gave it to the kids. The kids loved it, but I made it stay indoors so it wasn’t really something they did for exercise. My middle son could vacuum while riding it and usually did that when it was his turn. It made chores more fun for sure.  

We also have rip-sticks, bikes, skateboards, unicycles, and scooters. They all used to get a lot of use when the boys were in middle school. The rip-sticks in particular were beloved. 

Yes, balancing the hoverboard while doing chores is a win here too.

My older, high school guys have regular get-togethers at the skate park to scooter with friends. They do tail whips and 360s and whatever I don't know the names of, nothing really dangerous and pretty low key as far as tricks go.

We also have several free cool BMX tracks in our area to ride bikes that they like too visit.

DS bought an electric bike this summer that has got him exploring. He goes to town five miles away and back and just loves it. He has to wear a obnoxious florescent safety vest, helmet, etc. I love riding that thing too. It's a fun experience to be outdoors like that with the wind in your face.

Wheels, highly recommend.

Edited by IfIOnly

You can make the age cut off 11 for hoverboards in your house.  People have age cut offs for things like phones, getting ears pierced, laptops, wearing make up in public, so why not one for hoverboards?

I have 3 older brothers up to 9 years older than me.  I didn't grow up in a world where my parents worried about keeping everything equal every year.  If something was appropriate for an older kid, but not for a younger kid, the older kid got it.  They told the complainers we could have it too when we were the recipient's current age, and that's when we got it.

You can give him a hoverboard for his birthday. You can let him know that by asking, "For your birthday do you want a hoverboard or is there something you want more?"

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Quill said:

In my observation, those hoverboards are not good gifts. They are right up there with inexpensive drones for getting used one time on Christmas Day, wrecked, and never touched again. 

My kids have not personally had one. I have seen my nephews get them, though. They do it a few times, fall back and get mildly hurt, and move on to toys that are more easily controlled. 

I don’t think they are worth it. 

This has not been our experience at all.  Our 14 year old got one last year and everyone rides it  Even my then 5 year old.   It is still in nearly daily use 10 months later.  We are considering getting ones for everyone else this year.  My friend got one for her 4 kids last year plus two of the go cart attachments and they love them too. 

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 4:44 AM, Alice said:

I was not worried about it being more dangerous. I was worried about the lack of exercise kids get as it is and since it is electric, it will involve less exercise than something that is not electric. Plus, because it is electric, if they try to go to the park or something and the battery goes dead, it is just done. I try to avoid electric things when possible.