Menu

Honda CR-V

DawnM

Anyone have one?

A used one has become available and we are going to go look at it tonight.    Last night DH and I researched various years and transmission issues and drive-train issues, etc.....the year we are looking at looks like it was a pretty good year for not having too many issues, 2014.

My 20 year old confirmed last night that he will need to have a car on the West Coast starting in January, so we will need to replace the Mini-cooper sooner rather than later (with the toddler we can't fit a car seat in the back on that car.)

We have a 2004 CR-V.  That car has been great!  We have had very few problems with it. We’ve had a bit more lately, but the thing has 207,000 miles on it.  It’s expected.  And all of the problems we have had is because the thing is 14 years old and stuff just wears out eventually.    I would replace it with the same model in a heartbeat.  

• Like 1

I have a 2014 with almost 65,000 miles on it. It’s my favorite vehicle ever. It’s been trouble free but we always follow Honda’s maintenance schedule to the letter. Only complaints—interior materials aren’t as nice as on other Hondas we’ve had and the tire pressure monitoring system is a little too sensitive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We replaced a 20 year old minivan with a 2019 CRV last year--trying to save our conversion van for our wheelchair kid and her caregiver. We all love it. It's everyone's favorite car to drive. Our 2012 Honda Odyssey conversion van has more bells and whistles (higher end model), but all 4 drivers in the family would choose the CRV for any trip any time. It's smaller and more nimble than a minivan, but in a pinch we could fold down a back seat and still get dd's wheelchair in. It holds a fair amount of cargo--has taken all of college kid's belongings back and forth to school a couple of times. We've been a Honda family for 20 years now and have had almost no issues with our cars (the 20 year old minivan was losing its transmission, but 20 years is pretty old!)

• Like 2

I had one years ago. It was great for more than 12 years, and we bought it used. It just needed routine maintenance for all of that time until the very end, when the transmission needed fixed twice in a few months and then there was something else in the $600 range, and then the engine failed. 

• Like 1

We just purchased a 2019 Honda CRV, which is a little different model than the 2014, but still similar enough to comment. We bought it rather than replacing my Subaru Outback (which I loved loved loved) because: 1. The base model Honda was $10,000 cheaper than the similar base model Subaru. 2. My husband has had a Honda Accord since 2004 that (other than a "possessed radio" electrical fault) has needed nothing but regular maintenance. It just goes and goes and goes. When we took it to a private Honda-only garage they had photos on the walls of Honda Accords that they had helped keep running for 300,000+ miles. 3. The CRV had more headroom than the Subaru Outback (though less leg room in the back). 4. Honda parts are cheaper than Subaru parts. 5. The CRV had excellent crash test numbers just like the Outback. 

Things we don't like about the CRV: 1. Since it is a taller car than the Outback there is significantly more body roll when cornering. My daughter has car sickness is particularly affected by this and actually hates the car for this reason. 2. Fog lamps are not available for the base model period. 3. The tire air pressure monitor is maddening because the light doesn't go off after you fill the tires with air. You have to take it to the garage to have them turn it off or teach you how to turn it off. So you never know if the tire is staying at full pressure until you get the thing reset. This is worrying especially on a long trip. 4. The base model headlights are terrible (they also suck on the base model Outback, but for different reasons). On low beam there is literal horizontal line above which there is zero illumination. I have never experienced anything as distracting as that line. 

Honestly, I know the decision to buy the CRV was the best economic choice considering our finances at the time. It is an equal safety choice. But the body roll is not okay for me. My son loves it because of the headroom. I am thinking eventually when we have more money to spare, I will be selling the CRV to him and buying myself another Outback. It is the perfect car for him, safe and economical. But I am willing to risk having to pay more on repairs to have smoother cornering and my daughter not vomit in the car. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

3. The tire air pressure monitor is maddening because the light doesn't go off after you fill the tires with air. You have to take it to the garage to have them turn it off or teach you how to turn it off. 

Have you checked your owner's manual? All of our Hondas have always had a way to reset the TPMS, although the procedures have differed. On my CR-V you just push a button after cranking the engine the first time after filling the tire(s). On our Civic you have to go through the menu settings on the screen. It takes several clicks, so it's more complicated than on my CR-V, but still very easy to do by the driver.

• Like 3

Dd looked at them when she was looking at SUVs.  I don't remember the particulars of why the honda was rejected, but it was.  She bought a Rav4 (I also rejected the honda suv and bought the highlander), and my "only buys honda" dsil, shocked me by rejecting the honda this last time and buying a Rav4.

• Like 1

We have a 2004 CR-V.

Beware of the air conditioning issue in this and a couple other model years. The compressor implodes sending shards throughout the whole system. The whole system needs to be replaced to the tune of multiple thousands of dollars. The dealership cut some of the price but we still paid way over $2K.  It was not covered by the warranty and is not considered safety related. There was a class action suit over this.  We had some more trouble with our A/C in 2019 which we have band-aided and still need to fix. It's working for now, but there is another $1000-$2000 repair on hold.  https://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda-crv-black-death#:~:text=But you're probably experiencing,CRV as "Black Death."&text=Honda CRV Black Death is,hardens over every single surface.

The other thing--the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) goes bad and needs to be replaced. Expensive also. but not as bad as the A/C. Maybe $800?

ETA: I just saw you wrote 2014.  LOL. I would hope they have some of this fixed? 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

We have a 2004 CR-V.

Beware of the air conditioning issue in this and a couple other model years. The compressor implodes sending shards throughout the whole system. The whole system needs to be replaced to the tune of multiple thousands of dollars. The dealership cut some of the price but we still paid way over $2K.  It was not covered by the warranty and is not considered safety related. There was a class action suit over this.  We had some more trouble with our A/C in 2019 which we have band-aided and still need to fix. It's working for now, but there is another $1000-$2000 repair on hold.  https://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda-crv-black-death#:~:text=But you're probably experiencing,CRV as "Black Death."&text=Honda CRV Black Death is,hardens over every single surface.

The other thing--the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) goes bad and needs to be replaced. Expensive also. but not as bad as the A/C. Maybe $800?

ETA: I just saw you wrote 2014.  LOL. I would hope they have some of this fixed? 

Yes, it was fixed on later models.   We watched some YouTube videos on them comparing them to the Rav-4 too.   I don't know that I have a strong preference of one over the other, but we do have 3 Toyotas already!  

• Like 1

I have a 2005 that we are currently running into the ground.  It is a no frills car but has been great for us.  Even now that it is literately rusting into a pile after 250,000+ miles in terrible conditions, all repairs to keep it going have been reasonable on price. 

• Like 1

I have a 2018 CRV and I LOVE it.  My only gripe and it is more my husbands gripe than mine is that it is a bit underpowered.  Anyway we loved it so much we bought my college daughter a 2014 this past Feb.  We drove it for a month before Covid stranded her at home, so the car sat from March-Mid June.   She just drove it from Dallas to North Carolina and said it did great.

• Like 1

We have a 2013 with about 105,000 miles on it. We bought it used when it was a couple years old. We really like it. The size is perfect for us for most things. It isn't the smoothest/quietest ride on the highway, but that's about it. We've been good about keeping up regular maintenance, and expect it to last us a good long while.

• Like 1

We have a 2014 Honda CRV, and it's probably my favorite car ever.  🙂  I wanted a car that was completely trustworthy, and that could comfortably seat 4 but seat 5 in a pinch.  We bought it new and it still runs like new to me.  We take good care of it and do the regular maintenance.  It has not had a  single problem.  We have 90,000 miles on it.

• Like 3

Ok, we test drove it and have decided to buy it!   2014, base model, LX, 70k miles, new tires, regular maintenance records, everything looks like it was very well kept.   No accidents.   Below blue book price.    

Now just waiting for the money to transfer and complete the sale.

Easy peasy!   This will be the easiest car buying we have ever done.   Normally we agonize over it for months, spend way too much time overthinking things, etc.....

Whew!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Ok, we test drove it and have decided to buy it!   2014, base model, LX, 70k miles, new tires, regular maintenance records, everything looks like it was very well kept.   No accidents.   Below blue book price.    

Now just waiting for the money to transfer and complete the sale.

Easy peasy!   This will be the easiest car buying we have ever done.   Normally we agonize over it for months, spend way too much time overthinking things, etc.....

Whew!

You made a good decision!  We're still being offered a high trade-in price for ours, same year but with even more miles than yours.  It's a good car.  (We're not trading it in though -- keeping what we have!)

• Like 1

I think you made a great choice! We have a 2001 CRV and a 2007 Odyssey. These cars keep running although we have had to more work on the CRV the last year - new distributor - but it's close to 300K miles so can't complain. In January this year, we decided to look at getting a newer car because we travel quite a bit (or did before COVID). The CRV is my youngest son's car now for college, and my well-loved Ody is about 275K miles. We found a CRV 2015 with 65,000 miles, but I'm always extra cautious - it wasn't a great deal. I felt they were asking too much. We saw a Hyundai Santa Fe 2018 with 40,000 miles, still under warranty. Spent the night talking and decided on the CRV - we went the next day but it was sold. Man, I was bummed. In the meantime, the Hyundai dealer called us and offered us a less price on the Santa Fe. We bought it. We had owned a Hyundai Tucson, and I think after Honda and Toyota these are great cars. My middle son drove the Tucson, got into a head on collision in 2016, air bags deployed, but he was fine, thank God. The police told him that Hyundais have a good safety track record. 

But...that said, I am not all that thrilled with the Santa Fe. The seats are majorly messing up my back and sciatica. We are talking about trading it off on a CRV when the pandemic ends. One thing I do love about the Santa Fe is the blue tooth. I am addicted to Audible and love to listen to my books in the car. We did take a short trip in July, and poor husband had to listen to Great Books ancient Egypt on Audible. Since our kids are grown, it's only me and him when we travel. The Santa Fe gets great gas mileage too. 

However, one thing that I would caution any Honda buyers - be careful with the CVT transmissions that Honda tried putting in some of the CRVs from 2017-2019. I think they have discontinued the transmissions because they have had so many problems with the transmissions needing to be replaced. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

You made a good decision!  We're still being offered a high trade-in price for ours, same year but with even more miles than yours.  It's a good car.  (We're not trading it in though -- keeping what we have!)

We are paying 12K.    We can't find the same car anywhere else for that price.   Everything is closer to 14k for that car and higher for the upper models.    

My husband works on our cars himself, he even rebuilt engines with his dad when he was a teen, so he has experience.   He checked everything out carefully and he is usually the one who is hesitant, but he was very surprised at how well kept this car was mechanically.   And he thought it was a great deal, which normally he wants to think about it a while (and usually the car or house is sold before he decides!)

So, we feel good about it.    And I feel it is a real blessing because I just don't have time to car shop right now.

• Like 2

Now to decide if we sell the Mini Cooper or just keep it as a fun car.    We have a quote to buy it (from a dealer) for $3,500.   It is a 2010 convertible base model Mini.   It is a stick shift and so fun to drive.   It just is older and starting to have some issues.   

We have 4 drivers in the family and currently have 4 cars.   The Honda will be a 5th car, but intended to replace the Mini......or not! 😁

Edited by DawnM

I think you will be happy with it. Unless something strange happened, as in an incredible deal on something very similar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one when we need to. I might not even shop around. It's easy to drive size-wise, and I love the reliability. For the size, the only thing we haven't been able to do is that we still have to take the truck when we go camping, but we don't exactly go minimalist when we camp (and that includes taking our own firewood). Our dd and dsil also have one, and they, too, are well-pleased. As said above by pp, we had the dealership after us for awhile to trade it in, because they are always looking to up their used stock.

• Like 2

I have a 2010 odyssey with 66k miles on it.  I wish sometimes I could have a different car, but with the amount I drive and with the low miles I have on it, I will probably own it for another 10 years or more at least.  As I tell my kids, “ A car is to get you from point A to point B.  If it’s fun to drive, that’s just extra.”  I have a point A to B car.  I’m glad to have a car that I know can last for a low grade long time though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J-rap said:

When the time comes, we won't trade ours in either. I'll probably end up with a newer CRV model and DH will take the one we have now. I really do love that car. I've never said that about car before. LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Not to derail the thread, but how do you do that? I have an iPhone and a CRV and can't figure out how to do this to save my life.

Hi, I also have an Iphone, and I turned on the blue tooth on my phone. If your car has blue tooth capability, it automatically syncs to your phone. I am by no means a technological wizard, but it is pretty easy. At that point, our car has a screen where I can touch Blue Tooth, and it brings up Audible that is playing on my phone. The biggest problem I have is that when I have a phone call I still tend to get flustered by answering via the blue tooth. Sometimes it is hard for the person on the other end to hear me, and I end up screaming practically. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Not to derail the thread, but how do you do that? I have an iPhone and a CRV and can't figure out how to do this to save my life.

The instructions should be in your owner's manual. If you don't have the manual I bet you can find it online. I don't remember how I paired my phone to the Blue Tooth in my 2014 CR-V, but I do remember that the process was very easy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My son paired his to the car last night.   I don't know how to do it, but he said he pushed the phone button on the car and it told him how to do it.   I will be trying today to hook mine up.

TIP:  The last 2 used cars we have purchased had other people's addresses and phones paired to their navigation and bluetooth system......make Sure you uninstall before selling your car!  

This CRV doesn't have navigation, which is fine because we don't even like the navigation system in the 2 cars we have it in.   We use our phones as they have free road updates vs. the navigation system costly updates who still think I am driving through farms while trying to get to the freeway to the South of us.   😆

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Our CRV is too old to have bluetooth.  In fact, it has a tape deck!  We struggled for years with those radio transmitter type devices.  After one fit of rage too many, I remembered those old-school tape adapters.  The kind that goes in the tape player with a cord hanging out that you plug into your phone (or other device).  We picked one up for $10 and it works flawlessly.  Just another option in case anyone has an older car.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sweets said:

Hi, I also have an Iphone, and I turned on the blue tooth on my phone. If your car has blue tooth capability, it automatically syncs to your phone. I am by no means a technological wizard, but it is pretty easy. At that point, our car has a screen where I can touch Blue Tooth, and it brings up Audible that is playing on my phone. The biggest problem I have is that when I have a phone call I still tend to get flustered by answering via the blue tooth. Sometimes it is hard for the person on the other end to hear me, and I end up screaming practically. 

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

The instructions should be in your owner's manual. If you don't have the manual I bet you can find it online. I don't remember how I paired my phone to the Blue Tooth in my 2014 CR-V, but I do remember that the process was very easy. 

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

My son paired his to the car last night.   I don't know how to do it, but he said he pushed the phone button on the car and it told him how to do it.   I will be trying today to hook mine up.

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

Our CRV is too old to have bluetooth.  In fact, it has a tape deck!  We struggled for years with those radio transmitter type devices.  After one fit of rage too many, I remembered those old-school tape adapters.  The kind that goes in the tape player with a cord hanging out that you plug into your phone (or other device).  We picked one up for $10 and it works flawlessly.  Just another option in case anyone has an older car.

My phone is paired with the car and it connects automatically when I get in. I'm not sure once it's connected that my car is new enough to have an Audible option but I didn't even think to look for that on a screen. I was trying to find a way to do it from my phone. 🤦‍♀️😂 Technology is totally outstripping me.

• Haha 1

I think you don't even have to pair your phone in order to play something from your phone via bluetooth.  You do need to pair your phone in order to send and take calls through your car's bluetooth though.

But for music, podcasts, etc., my dd's often connect their phones to our car's bluetooth, even though they're not paired with our car.  (Only my phone is actually paired.)  They're the ones who set it up, but I think they just temporarily connect their phones via bluetooth, and then set the radio dial to "AUX" instead of FM/AM.   (Something like that!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

My husband mentioned this the other day.   We have a Sequoia that still has a tape player (2004).   No backup camera either.

The CRV is a base stripped down model, but it does have a backup camera and bluetooth, so those make me happy.