Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW43: 52 Books Bingo - Ghosts and Goblins

Robin M

33 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Yet another FREE historical romance by Carla Kelly. Do you already have this one, @mumto2?

Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career by Carla Kelly

Regards,

Kareni

It’s new!  Thank you.........I really need to do that Carla Kelly week!  The only problem is I keep adding to the stack of things with due dates.  This morning I decided to check and see if finishing the A to Z challenges was a possibility.  I normally do both the by author and title, just as it sounds reading one book for each letter of the alphabet, overlap is fine,  any genre so fluffy is more than fine.  This is one of those that is by my personal rules.  But it does stretch one to read books that they never would have chosen., I am 4 away from finishing both so I checked out 2 romances and 2 mysteries so I can feel on schedule for the year!😂🙃😎

The A to Z got me started reading a Japanese author I love.......Keigo Higashimo https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23847971-a-midsummer-s-equation and his Devotion of Suspect X which I loved and picked for the X one year.  I happen to be listening to his Midsummer’s Equation right now as I am using his nerdy crime solving physicist for my Worldwide Detective 10.  Reading this probably spurred to A to Z inventory.😉

• Like 5

I just finished an enjoyable historical romance; it's the second in a series but stands alone well. I learned about beekeeping, English history of 1820, and the (negligible) rights of married women of the time. (Adult content)

The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows by Olivia Waite

"When Agatha Griffin finds a colony of bees in her warehouse, it’s the not-so-perfect ending to a not-so-perfect week. Busy trying to keep her printing business afloat amidst rising taxes and the suppression of radical printers like her son, the last thing the widow wants is to be the victim of a thousand bees. But when a beautiful beekeeper arrives to take care of the pests, Agatha may be in danger of being stung by something far more dangerous…

Penelope Flood exists between two worlds in her small seaside town, the society of rich landowners and the tradesfolk.  Soon, tensions boil over when the formerly exiled Queen arrives on England’s shores—and when Penelope’s long-absent husband returns to Melliton, she once again finds herself torn, between her burgeoning love for Agatha and her loyalty to the man who once gave her refuge.

As Penelope finally discovers her true place, Agatha must learn to accept the changing world in front of her. But will these longing hearts settle for a safe but stale existence or will they learn to fight for the future they most desire?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Currently FREE for Kindle readers ~

RUTH: Victorian Romance Classic, With Author's Biography by Elizabeth Gaskell

"As interest in 19th-century English literature by women has been reinvigorated by a resurgence in popularity of the works of Jane Austen, readers are rediscovering a writer whose fiction, once widely beloved, fell by the wayside. British novelist ELIZABETH CLEGHORN GASKELL (1810-1865)--whose books were sometimes initially credited to, simply, "Mrs. Gaskell"--is now recognized as having created some of the most complex and progressive depictions of women in the literature of the age, and is today justly celebrated for her precocious use of the regional dialect and slang of England's industrial North.

Ruth--Gaskell's third novel, first published in three volumes in 1853--is notable as one of the rare instances in the fiction of the era of a positive portrayal of unwed motherhood and for its thematic condemnation of the social stigma of illegitimacy. The tale of a young woman seduced and abandoned by her lover, then taken in and protected by a kindly minister and his sister, it is remarkably progressive for the period.

Friend and literary companion to the likes of Charles Dickens and Charlotte Brontë--the latter of whom Gaskell wrote an acclaimed 1857 biography--Gaskell is today being restored to her rightful place alongside them. This charming replica volume is an excellent opportunity for 21st-century fans of British literature to embrace one of its most unjustly forgotten authors."

Also FREE:

Let Us Dream by Alyssa Cole

Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery Book 1)

Pilfered Promises (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery Book 5)

Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale series Book 3) by Demelza Carlton

Alibis & Arranging: A Good, Clean Cozy Mystery (Sparks & Joy Book 2)  bNancy McGovern

Weddings & Wine Cake: A Culinary Cozy Mystery (Comfort Cakes Cozy Mysteries Book 5)  by Nancy McGovern

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, Dreamergal said:

Love this.

One of the most surprising and wonderful things for me is finding people on this thread who actually know and enjoy books I grew up with like Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. Usually people in the US go who ? 😁

I grew up with Roald Dahl but I didn't discover Enid Blyton until we were in Scotland with @Violet Crown and her littlest daughter told John about them. Now we're big fans. DS and I are almost done with The Enchanted Wood and we are loving it.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, Violet Crown said:

Poor Sophia! On the other hand, I was always able to be excused to go home by saying I felt weak and dizzy - "Oh dear you're so pale I can see you're really ill!" 

I'd be doing great with my 10x10's this year if they were from this year, but they're from 2019. 

Some of my categories might take me a decade which is a 10 number ... so it's all okay. 🙂

On 10/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, Robin M said:

Phew, that was stressful.  We've been on pins and needles waiting to hear back from one of my technicians who has been out sick. Ordinary flu not covid.  Yeah! So sorry you're not feeling good but yeah!  This is the one employee who is out and about more and the one who always gets whatever is out there worse than the rest of us.  We discussed contingency plans again to keep the shop open as long as the rest of us tested negative.   So this was our dress rehearsal. 

So glad everyone is okay. We've had a few scares and it's so stressful.

We're trick or treating this year but thought really long and hard about not going. Everyone is going to mask up and I'm going to hold the candy bag but I'm still nervous. I'm also expecting it to be lame because I doubt there's going to be many houses with lights on. *sigh* It's tough having a little boy that's so excited about it and just doesn't understand why all the things he loves have been canceled. 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, Kareni said:

My sister tested positive for covid-19 about ten days ago as did her husband a few days later. My sister had what was similar to a really bad cold and is now feeling much better. My brother-in-law was asymptomatic. I'm grateful that additional family with whom they'd been in contact tested negative and also that my sister's case was mild.

That's a relief!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Happy Halloween 🙂 The Witch Family is one of my favorite books of all time. At the moment, I am reading Dracula for the first time.

8E05E267-4E48-4933-9AF3-D1EDEBBD8B9C.jpeg

Me too!!!  And I think this is the cover of the original book I read!  I read it when I was quite young, as a library book, and then completely forgot both the title and the author, and when I had kids I so wanted a copy as it had stuck with me all those years and I did a whole detective hunt trying to figure out what book it was I remembered - and this was it!  I was so happy when I figured it out and bought myself a copy to read to the kids!  And I loved it just as much again as an adult reading it aloud - such a wonderful little book.

Enjoy Dracula - that's by far my favorite of the classic 'monster' books - I have no idea why I like it so much, but it's one of the few books I've read multiple times and I've enjoyed it each time.  I just 'reread' Frankenstein as an audio as I wasn't all that enthralled with the print version - a bit better that way, but yeah, still just okay.  But I love Dracula.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Happy Halloween 🙂 The Witch Family is one of my favorite books ever. At the moment, I am reading Dracula for the first time.

8E05E267-4E48-4933-9AF3-D1EDEBBD8B9C.jpeg

Oh my goodness. I'm now on hold with my local bookstore to see if they have a copy of this because I'd love to start it with John tonight!

• Like 5

I think I posted on Monday that I'd jump on "tomorrow" and post my books. Is this Tuesday? No? Well let's pretend it is. 

Finished:

Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1) by Bill Crider - I discovered this while searching for something like the Patrick McManus Bo Tully series and enjoyed it. It's nothing like the Bo Tully series but more of just a 1980's small town sheriff cozy-ish mystery. There was charm in reading about someone trying to solve a mystery in times that sounded modern (ie not Regency England) but without a cell phone. 

A Killer in King's Cover by Iona Whishaw - Recommended by @mumto2 because she and I seem to have 100% overlap on mysteries we enjoy. Highly recommend if you like historical cozy mysteries. I've got the second ready to be picked up at my library but my library has the most random COVID hours now so I won't be able to get it until Tuesday. 

• Like 5

@MatryoshkaYes, that is likely the cover you had as a child. You and I are roughly the same age, and that is the cover I remembered. That photo is of a copy I bought off ebay a few years ago. 

Hugs to everyone dealing with and/or having close calls with illness. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4

I got a lot of reading done this week!

El Nuevo Testamento -- This is the earliest I've ever completed reading through the Bible in a year.  I guess it might be attributed to all of the hours I've not spent driving hither and yon.  I enjoyed reading the New Testament in Spanish.  I think that I'll do it again next year (and hopefully understand more of it than I did this year.)

Moon Over Manifest -- Clare Vanderpool -- I liked this book well enough that I wanted to know how it ended, but I don't know that I would have liked it as a child/teen.  There are a lot of jumps between time and point of view.  I don't think my kids would like this.  The plot seems awfully farfetched.

Thirteen at Dinner -- Agatha Christie -- I liked this one a lot!

Surviving the Applewhites -- Stephanie S. Tolan -- A book about unschoolers!  A nice story about finding your own niche in the world.

I also made good progress on Bonhoeffer.

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool 1479035Surviving The Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan

• Like 7