Menu

20 Miles in 20 Days

Slache

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Could distance be converted to time? 

So at stops for dog sniffing, or traffic, etc, one could keep moving in place and know that ~ ____ minutes walking = a mile? 

A mile is 15 to 22 minutes, so whatever in that range feels appropriate. Well, that's walking anyway.

• Like 2

I'm in! I'm already doing more than this each day, but it's just been a few weeks. November 1st will help me keep on track because it's usually around this point that I get dreadfully bored with the whole "exercise" thing and it starts to fade off. The motivation will be good for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pen said:

Could distance be converted to time? 

So at stops for dog sniffing, or traffic, etc, one could keep moving in place and know that ~ ____ minutes walking = a mile? 

Yes, or just map out your normal route if you have one. Or if you have a cell phone just use the map my walk app. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Do we come and post our updates here?  Day 1 for me.  It was drizzling and typically that would be enough to make me stay in.  But I decided to walk instead.  And it was actually really nice and lovely.  

We start November 1st! Don't rush me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm in!

I keep waiting for it to be cool enough to go for a walk. We've had a few evenings where it's only about 80, but then we also have been getting rain right around the time I would be able to go out and walk.

I found a route in my neighborhood that's exactly a mile. It wasn't my intention. I was just trying out different walking routes in our new neighborhood and was pleased when I walked up to my driveway after trying a route, and Map My Walk told me I had walked a mile. 

Most days I hope to walk outside but when I can't I'll do indoor walking. Our subdivision clubhouse has a very small exercise room (one treadmill, one elliptical, and one bike). I'm kind of afraid to go though. There are signs saying to wear a mask, and there's stuff to sanitize the equipment when you finish but it's honor system. I don't know who was there before me or if anyone actually comes in regularly and cleans. 

Anyway, I'm subbing to this thread. Please give us a reminder Sunday. Thank you for starting this. I'm a bit intimidated by the well trained bodies threads but this sounds like one I can do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I found a route in my neighborhood that's exactly a mile. It wasn't my intention. I was just trying out different walking routes in our new neighborhood and was pleased when I walked up to my driveway after trying a route, and Map My Walk told me I had walked a mile. 

I love finding things like that. I have one route that's almost exactly a mile (I think 1.04), and one that's super close to 2 miles but I have to walk a tiny bit past my driveway when I get back in order for Map My Fitness to say I've hit 2 miles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm in!

I keep waiting for it to be cool enough to go for a walk. We've had a few evenings where it's only about 80, but then we also have been getting rain right around the time I would be able to go out and walk.

Same. And evening when it "cools off" is usually when I do yard work, but it seems like it is either raining, about to rain, or the grass is too wet, most evenings lately!

So hot and HUMID lately!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 11:15 PM, Violet Crown said:

Can I join in? Can I count the 5 km I ran this morning? Can I seize this opportunity to show off that I just finished running Hadrian's Wall and got a nifty medal in the mail?

Dark is the best time to exercise. Nobody can see you.

Shhh.....don't tell, but I started yesterday.  It won't count officially but I felt good getting a head start into my new routine. 

On 10/25/2020 at 3:17 AM, Margaret in CO said:

I'm in. I generally do 10-12 miles a day, so I'll continue with my 10 mile a day goal. 

Good Lord I am impressed!  You run 10 miles a day?!  You're my new hero.  

• Thanks 1

I have been lazy about working out this past week, but I got a workout in today and added in 2000m (over a mile!) of rowing to get myself in the swing of things!  (and there is currently about 4" of snow on the ground, so glad I only committed to an indoor alternative 😉 )

Official start is Sunday the 1st?

Edited by Matryoshka

On 10/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Matryoshka said:

I have been lazy about working out this past week, but I got a workout in today and added in 2000m (over a mile!) of rowing to get myself in the swing of things!  (and there is currently about 4" of snow on the ground, so glad I only committed to an indoor alternative 😉 )

Official start is Sunday the 1st?

Yes!

I made up some printables to track your miles (or whatever you are doing). There are three different ones - a Dumpster Fire Challenge with flames to mark off for each mile, a fall leaves one with leaves to mark off for each mile, and for those logging something other than miles, a fall leaves one labeled just 20 in 20, so you can do minutes, or whatever it is 🙂

(the file itself is called Dumpster Fire, but there are three separate pages, just print the one you want)

I figure I'll either cross off or, more likely, write the date on each flame/leaf as I do it. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sxCaelgBSJf1GiwjFooVJ3cl3x9hPv2w/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we accounting here or on the other thread?

Day 1 (Nov 1) - Mile 1 (outside, 1.1 mile dog walk around neighborhood)

My personal challenge is not going to be the distance; it's going to be doing it OUTDOORS instead of on the elliptical. Today is dreary and cold and gray, the sort of day I find very difficult to rouse myself to sally forth into. Also I'd failed to work out that the opening day of this challenge happens to fall on Daylight Losing Day, and that the sun is now setting at 5:10p, shoot me right now.

• Like 2