Menu

20 Miles in 20 Days

Slache

There's a thread on the chat board about a race but I don't want to pay for the race so I've decided to pressure you all to do it with me.

It's 20 miles in 20 days. Walking, running, biking, swimming, skipping. A mile every day, 2 miles every 2 days, whatever. Just do it. I've been bedridden for almost 18 months so I'm going to try walking a mile a day on a treadmill in my bedroom. 

We're starting Sunday, November 1st and will be finished Friday, November 20th, so we'll have the weekend before Thanksgiving off.

Who's joining?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Thanks! Been walking nearly a mile a day on the treadmill and can bump it up to 1 mile. We got our first snow today, and it's 32 today and supposed to be 16 tonight. There are lots of gyms around here, and I have a membership to one. Thankfully, they're open here due to super low COVID numbers.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I don’t know how to measure my walk with my phone.  I’d like to though.  We did an hour a day during our Covid stay at home time and I did start to lose some weight.  Of course now everything’s back to normal that’s gone out the window.

It takes 15 to 22 minutes to walk a mile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm likely going to walk indoors, using the free Leslie Sansone videos on youtube. (I actually prefer some of the other leaders over her). There are 1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile and 5K versions. And you can always do two different 1 mile ones in a row, etc. These are a bit more active in some ways than just walking - it gets my heart rate up!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’ll do it.  I’ll probably be cussing you a little every day 😉, but I’ll do it as long as my fibro allows me.   Can you tag me to remind me?    

I can take it.

I was going to tag all the peoples so everyone either had to do it or be publicly shamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

40 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm likely going to walk indoors, using the free Leslie Sansone videos on youtube. (I actually prefer some of the other leaders over her). There are 1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile and 5K versions. And you can always do two different 1 mile ones in a row, etc. These are a bit more active in some ways than just walking - it gets my heart rate up!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

This is what I plan to do too. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’ll do it.  I’ll probably be cussing you a little every day 😉, but I’ll do it as long as my fibro allows me.   Can you tag me to remind me?    

Well crap, that makes me in or I'll feel publicly shamed. LOL My fibro has been a bear lately but maybe if I take the bear for a 20 minute walk each day, it might start to behave.. Tag me in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

Can I participate even if I've already been walking? Always nice to have extra motivation!

@Slache what is DDP? Or do I even want to ask? 😄

Of course! I've already been walking and I'm the one that started talking about it 🙂

And DDP Yoga is a hybrid yoga/physical therapy/isometric muscle activation program that has levels for all fitness abilities - from programs you can do if you are bed bound, to chair, to intense advanced stuff. The bizarre thing is that it was created by a former WWE Wrestling star - so he gives the poses some different names, and has you "hulk it out", lol. It's this big tough guy who is a total over the top showboat type guy who  works with veterans, disabled people, people with depression, addictions, etc to help them reclaim their lives. There are DVDS, etc but most use the App, which has motivational videos, lots and lots and lots of workouts to choose from, tracks your "points" that you earn from time spent exercising, using a heart rate monitor, weighing in, consistently working out 3 days a week, etc. You can also track your measurements, blood pressure, A1C, pain level in different body parts, etc. 

This is the most well known "transformation" video about DDP Yoga, but there is a youtube channel full of people's stories. And a facebook group that is incredibly uplifting and supportive - perhaps the only drama free facebook group I've ever seen. There are people on it who are incredibly fit doing things I can only dream of, and people who have hundreds of pounds to lose and are bedbound, all supporting each other. It's actually amazing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Of course! I've already been walking and I'm the one that started talking about it 🙂

And DDP Yoga is a hybrid yoga/physical therapy/isometric muscle activation program that has levels for all fitness abilities - from programs you can do if you are bed bound, to chair, to intense advanced stuff. The bizarre thing is that it was created by a former WWE Wrestling star - so he gives the poses some different names, and has you "hulk it out", lol. It's this big tough guy who is a total over the top showboat type guy who  works with veterans, disabled people, people with depression, addictions, etc to help them reclaim their lives. There are DVDS, etc but most use the App, which has motivational videos, lots and lots and lots of workouts to choose from, tracks your "points" that you earn from time spent exercising, using a heart rate monitor, weighing in, consistently working out 3 days a week, etc. You can also track your measurements, blood pressure, A1C, pain level in different body parts, etc. 

This is the most well known "transformation" video about DDP Yoga, but there is a youtube channel full of people's stories. And a facebook group that is incredibly uplifting and supportive - perhaps the only drama free facebook group I've ever seen. There are people on it who are incredibly fit doing things I can only dream of, and people who have hundreds of pounds to lose and are bedbound, all supporting each other. It's actually amazing. 

Brought tears to my eyes. What an inspiration he is!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

There's a thread on the chat board about a race but I don't want to pay for the race so I've decided to pressure you all to do it with me.

It's 20 miles in 20 days. Walking, running, biking, swimming, skipping. A mile every day, 2 miles every 2 days, whatever. Just do it. I've been bedridden for almost 18 months so I'm going to try walking a mile a day on a treadmill in my bedroom. 

We're starting Sunday, November 1st and will be finished Friday, November 20th, so we'll have the weekend before Thanksgiving off.

Who's joining?

Can I row instead? 😄

I've been so good about exercise, but the last two weeks I've hit a slump. Could use a kick in the pants!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Who's joining?

I'm in!  Hopefully by then the air quality will be good enough to return to my walk/run HIIT 3X weekly.  That would be perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I join in? Can I count the 5 km I ran this morning? Can I seize this opportunity to show off that I just finished running Hadrian's Wall and got a nifty medal in the mail?

5 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Sure! It'll hopefully give me a boost to do it OUTSIDE. When the days get dark my exercise motivation ebbs.

Dark is the best time to exercise. Nobody can see you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Can I join in? Can I count the 5 km I ran this morning? Can I seize this opportunity to show off that I just finished running Hadrian's Wall and got a nifty medal in the mail?

ALL HAIL VIOLET CROWN THE CONQUEROR!  That is awesome!

Nonetheless you may not count either miles, or kilometers, logged in before November 1.  I don't make the rules.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

Who's joining?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

This isn't starting until November 1st. I need you to chill.

3 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Who's joining?

You!

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

That is awesome, I want to do that! Off to see if my regular routine will do it in a "reasonable" time. 🏃‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in, if you'll have me. I was walking 6+ miles per day for a while, but then I had the whole falling down/breaking my arm/falling down again/hitting my head/back-to-back hospital stays thing, and now I have to be very careful about when and where and how much I walk. (Basically, after several weeks of treating me like I couldn't be trusted to put on my own shoes or take the dog outside without supervision, my husband has now relaxed enough that I can walk the dog every morning as long as I keep my phone handy and stay more or less within sight of the house.  He worries.)

I've been doing other kinds of exercise indoors, low-impact cardio videos and riding the nice, new stationary bike I invested in to keep me sane, but I haven't been doing a lot of straight-up walking. I miss it a lot. 

So, my exciting daily mile will probably consist of two or three loops around the cul-de-sac in front of my house, but I'd like to play along. (I like goals.)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Just had to chime in and say that I have done a bunch of the challenges from that site. Hadrian's Wall was my gateway, and after that I was so hooked I ended up needing to put up a shelf on which to hang all of the medals I was earning.

Unlike some other sites, too, these challenges specifically invite all kinds of exercise, meaning I can keep doing them now that I'm less able to walk and more limited to the stationary bike. 

(I got my Ring of Kerry medal in the mail yesterday and expect to complete the Great Ocean Road sometime this week. I have decided there are worse indulgences.)

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm in, if you'll have me. I was walking 6+ miles per day for a while, but then I had the whole falling down/breaking my arm/falling down again/hitting my head/back-to-back hospital stays thing, and now I have to be very careful about when and where and how much I walk. (Basically, after several weeks of treating me like I couldn't be trusted to put on my own shoes or take the dog outside without supervision, my husband has now relaxed enough that I can walk the dog every morning as long as I keep my phone handy and stay more or less within sight of the house.  He worries.)

I've been doing other kinds of exercise indoors, low-impact cardio videos and riding the nice, new stationary bike I invested in to keep me sane, but I haven't been doing a lot of straight-up walking. I miss it a lot. 

So, my exciting daily mile will probably consist of two or three loops around the cul-de-sac in front of my house, but I'd like to play along. (I like goals.)

Or ride your miles, whatever works!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Just had to chime in and say that I have done a bunch of the challenges from that site. Hadrian's Wall was my gateway, and after that I was so hooked I ended up needing to put up a shelf on which to hang all of the medals I was earning.

Unlike some other sites, too, these challenges specifically invite all kinds of exercise, meaning I can keep doing them now that I'm less able to  and more limited to the stationary bike. 

(I got my Ring of Kerry medal in the mail yesterday and expect to complete the Great Ocean Road sometime this week. I have decided there are worse indulgences.)

I've done a bunch from there too.  I started with a pumpkin run last October.  I put pictures of all the shirts I've done in the post linked in the first post in this thread.   I don't get the medals, I'm motivated by tshirts.  🙂 

I'll participate in this one again.  I already have the shirt but I've been somewhat off track lately between very minor foot surgery and chaos at home. 

• Like 2