Menu

More neighborhood weirdness

Terabith

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Not the monolith house.  One of our neighbors just got a huge pile of sand for their yard.  Which would be awesome for kids.  But they don’t have any kids.  

We had a neighbor in the 1980s who would get a couple of pallets of fertilizer delivered to his house every once in a while. The problem? He lived on less than a tenth of an acre.

He was always a nice guy when we talked to him.

Years later he was arrested with thousands of dollars of cash and multiple guns on him when he threatened a neighbor at a different location who was asking too many questions about a drug-growing operation at a different property he owned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

are they doing garden projects for which they will be using sand?

Maybe?  I don't know?  Do people do garden projects at the end of October?  I genuinely don't know these things.  

I would have loved this for my kids when they were little though.  

In addition to what’s listed above, there are some perennials that it’s best to plant in the fall that prefer well-draining soil. In once did a garden bed with three kinds of lavender and that’s about the amount of sand I needed to amend the soil. 

I also know a couple (adult party lovers in their early 40’s), who loved their sand volleyball league so much that when the pandemic shut down their favorite volleyball bar they put a court in their backyard!  I think their blood alcohol levels are always too high for them to care about a pandemic. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Maybe?  I don't know?  Do people do garden projects at the end of October?  I genuinely don't know these things.  

I would have loved this for my kids when they were little though.  

Depends where you live.   There's a house under construction next door - it still doesn't have roof trusses, let alone a roof.

• Like 1

My father's decades long project when I was growing up was redoing our backyard.  We always had a pile of something in the driveway (though not on the front lawn).  But in our case, it was always symmetrical and neatly covered with a tarp--and I was absolutely forbidden to play on it.  The contents of the piles varied from dirt that he had removed from the yard to new topsoil to sand and gravel to mix concrete.

Anyway, because of my upbringing, piles of stuff in the front yard don't twang my weirdness alarm.

• Like 3

I'd assume stone/brick work, a pool or gardening.

I'm in zone 7b and there are still lots of gardening things that can be done well into November usually. We rarely get a hard freeze before December and we don't have a frost line per se so the ground is workable year round. Even when I lived in 7a/6b there were many garden chores that were best done in fall to prepare for the following spring that might involve sand depending on your soil. Or they might be container or raised bed gardening which can also  have chores that need to be done year round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Not the monolith house.  One of our neighbors just got a huge pile of sand for their yard.  Which would be awesome for kids.  But they don’t have any kids.  

I know that lots of people level their yard with sand - especially if they have zoysia or bermuda grass, but also rye grass. Anyone that cuts the lawn quite short wants a level surface. And yes, they order truckloads of sand and then spend a few days raking it out all over the yard. You can actually get a special level rake or drag mat for it. 

But...that's done in the spring, as a general rule. Because you end up covering some of the grass totally, in the low areas, and need it growing fast/well to unbury itself. 

• Like 1