Menu

Re: applying to college early

I would love advice if anybody knows the answer. A junior, but with enough credits to easily graduate him this year, wants to apply to a dream school and go off to college early. Now there are reservations on graduating early from age perspective but not academic perspective. Here is my question. If this student applies this year to the dream school and doesn’t get in, can he apply again next year as a freshman? Meaning can we change the mind and not graduate early and submit again? I guess the issue is next year the transcript will be different (extra year). Would it raise alarm at the college? 

I asked this on another board, and the answer was "Yes, but call the school while applying." We actually plan to do this, but the schools for her as a 17-year-old would not necessarily be the same as she would apply for as an 18-year-old. We nixed 16 as an option after touring a couple of good options for this and talking to the RAs and guidance counslers. Dd has a very late spring birthday, though, so going away at 16 would mean being 16 all year. She's always been accelerated and is tired of being the youngest in the room.

We worked with Dd to find some benchmarks for what both graduating early and staying home until 18 would look like. She has a good DE option for the next year and a half, but after that it becomes much less of a good fit.

ETA- be clear on your transcript what grade he is in, even if it is a subject transcript.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

Definitely call the school. You could gap year and apply again, but it's unlikely the result would be different unless his gap year is significant. And you wouldn't want him taking classes that would turn him into a transfer student.

Is the dream school quite selective?

Yes, selective