Menu

Are you getting a flu shot? If you don’t usually, but are now, what motivates you?

I have been doing everything I can to improve the function of my immune system, and I will not be getting a flu shot.  With COVID around, I will especially not be getting a flu shot, as there are studies to document that the immune system takes a functional hit (those are lay terms) for awhile afterward.  The shot may help mitigate or prevent flu, but some fraction of those getting a flu shot tend to get more URIs for some months afterward.  I will not be going there. 

I've never had the flu, nor has dh, in spite of being around A LOT of people, and I think anti-COVID measures will probably help this be a light flu season. 

If we were to get flu, we have a robust treatment plan, involving very proactive medical care and aggressive at home self-care, so that's our plan.  

Disclaimer:  take or leave what I have to say, your choice, I don't have time to defend it or go look up journal references.  All of us here are good researchers, and I'm sure anyone interested can go find the information just like I did.   :-)  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You phrased this so perfectly!  Thank you!  This was what I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how 🙂

I did. I get it more often than not--but am usually the passive partner who yields to the highly urgent prodding of Kaiser Permanente (those people are very pushy! ). Not this year. I actively so

I have never had a flu shot and I will absolutely be getting one this year and every year from now on.  I feel pretty strongly about protecting vulnerable people and hate that I haven’t done that in t

My kids normally get the flu shot.  They will probably still get one this year.  Oldest is high risk so she always gets one.  I will not get the shot.  I normally don't because I am allergic to eggs. 

The flu season was so bad in 18/19 the school I worked at we were sending home 10-20 kids (out of 300) a day.  So last year I decided to get the flu shot just to be safe bc I thought it was a miracle I did not get it the previous year.  Big, big mistake.  I had such a bad reaction that I almost went to the ER.  If my husband had not been out of town I would have gone but I did not want to leave my kids at home alone.  I was in bed for 3 days.  It felt almost like the time I had iron poisioning.

That being said I work really hard with my naturopath at keeping my immune system strong so I rarely ever get sick.

Edited by Plateau Mama

The whole family got them today (drive thru flu shots are one of the good things to come of this pandemic—I hope they keep doing this after it’s over), but now I’m seeing the news out of South Korea about higher than expected issues in people there who recently had the flu shot there. I hope that turns out to be nothing, and expect that is more likely than not when they are vaccinating so many, but not not super comforting right after my whole family getting one today!

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, kand said:

The whole family got them today (drive thru flu shots are one of the good things to come of this pandemic—I hope they keep doing this after it’s over), but now I’m seeing the news out of South Korea about higher than expected issues in people there who recently had the flu shot there. I hope that turns out to be nothing, and expect that is more likely than not when they are vaccinating so many, but not not super comforting right after my whole family getting one today!

Uh-oh. I didn't see this. Off to look... 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

Usually there is no rhyme nor reason as to why I get the flu shot. Some years I do and some years I don't. This year I did. I was already waiting at Walmart to get a new battery installed in my car and so I thought I'd use that time productively and got my flu shot at the Walmart pharmacy. I was planning on doing that sometime this year anyway because if I do get Covid I don't want the flu on top  of it. And if it some how mitigates some of the symptoms or other by products of getting Covid, then that's a bonus. I don't know that it will do any of that but I hope secretly that it does. LOL

I've had the flu shot annually for 25 years. I haven't had the flu once in that time. 

Flu shot received today.  I got mine at Costco- super easy and convenient since I had to pick up a few things while I was out.  Just $20 for a little something I can do to help keep my bubble safe and healthy.   Now I'm really trying to convince DH to go get one...

• Thanks 1
On 10/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Yowza. Why were your folks so anti-doctor? 

DD8 somehow got strep as a one year old, and she really didn't drink at all for a bit... it's a terrible sore throat, I think. 

I’m not sure. They were always a little weird about medical things. It might be partially religious beliefs and partially a mentality that most childhood illnesses were self-limiting and so, what was the point paying for a doctor’s visit? 

I remember my mom saying, when I had that allergic reaction, “Why should I take her to the doctor? So they can tell me she’s allergic to insect stings? I can see that for myself.” 

I have read that strep throat is unbelievably sore. When I read that description, I thought, “Well, then I’m guessing I’ve had it.”