Menu

FYI: AMC8/10/12 competition will be administered online

Arcadia

13 hours ago, HomeForNow said:

I think MathCounts is also to be online proctored via webcam too.  (Maybe not. I thought I saw that, but can't find it.)

I believe the Chapter and Chapter Invitation levels will not be proctored.  Proctoring will begin at the State level.  (Chapter Invitational is only during the pandemic season and will not continue in the future.)  

I'm pretty sure there will be no Team Round or Countdown Round until Nationals.  

• 1 month later...

What did everyone use for video proctoring (for AMC 8)? AMC 10/12 A/B are coming up, Feb 4 and 10. Did you need any kind of software or account for the proctor to see through the webcam. Are proctors improvising arbitrary methods to online proctor, meaning things can go wrong at a bad time. I assume the AoPS account has nothing to do with webcam proctoring.

On 1/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, HomeForNow said:

What did everyone use for video proctoring (for AMC 8)? AMC 10/12 A/B are coming up, Feb 4 and 10. Did you need any kind of software or account for the proctor to see through the webcam. Are proctors improvising arbitrary methods to online proctor, meaning things can go wrong at a bad time. I assume the AoPS account has nothing to do with webcam proctoring.

I don't think parents can proctor it. Ours was proctored by our charter school college counselor. Sacha logged in to a zoom conference, as I recall, and I think the administrator watched the kids test or something. Sacha is taking the AMC 10 this week on the 4th. Same deal. The school just emailed him a link and told him what time to join the conference. And, you are correct, the AoPS system is just the testing software. Good luck to everyone testing this week!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, HomeForNow said:

^ You can get AMC scores from the person that ran the test locally (e.g. email and ask).

Thanks @HomeForNow. I found DD on the Honor Roll! I wasn’t using the search function correctly... 

Am I supposed to get some sort of official score report? The person who ran the exam just sent me an email with her score, nothing official.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HomeForNow said:

^ We've never received anything "official". I don't think there's any way to formally document AMC results.

Ok thanks! But, is that the case with the AMC10/12, too? If so, then how do the powers that be determine (and notify you) if you qualify for AIME?

5 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Is there a specific date on which this email announcement will be sent out (AMC 10 & 12, A & B)?

Nope. Kids do post on the AoPS forums every year that they got their results from their school coordinators. So kind of know through the grapevine that results are being released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS15 took the AMC 10 yesterday and we celebrated with a cookie:). Wins -- he wasn't anxious, the technology all worked, and he came out feeling happy about his work.  He'd practiced mainly about a week or two, so not a ton, but enough so pacing was as expected. Also he did not melt down like in did in 7th grade, when he thought he was supposed to answer them all and he couldn't.  (whoops).  Also a win -- he learned that's it's important to go to the bathroom before the test -- he says he now knows drinking a sprite before a test isn't the best thing to do.  Better to learn that now than later,  I guess. 

So overall I am happy that everything went well and I hope he will be happy with whatever score he gets!

• Like 6

Is anyone else's kiddo taking the upcoming F=ma? Sacha is taking chem this year, and he had a rough time with beta testing AoPS' very buggy Mechanics course last year, so he is taking it just for exposure. They are also making it simple to do online at home this year, so we figured he would give it a go. The AMC 8 and 10 both went off without a hitch, so hopefully this one will too since they all are using AoPS' platform.