Menu

An update! Something to share: My daughter and her expat group playing samulnori, Korean traditional percussion.

Kareni

UPDATE BELOW INITIAL POST!

Below you'll find a link of my daughter making some happy music. She has been playing samulnori, Korean traditional percussion, since shortly after arriving in Korea in 2013.

She's sitting front and center in the introduction. During the performance, she's sitting slightly right of center playing the kkwaenggwari, a small, handheld gong. The other instruments are the Jing, a larger gong; Janggu, an hourglass-shaped drum; and Buk, a barrel drum.

She and the expat samulnori team are competing in a virtual competition in which number of viewers [helps] determines the winners. So, please watch this three minute video and share the video with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqP6KC22gk

UPDATE on January 27, 2021:

My apologies for the late update.

The 2020 K-Community Challenge had entrants in five different categories, each a traditional Korean art: Talchum (dance), Ganggangsullae (dance), Minyo (song), Samulnori (instrumental), and Taekwonmu (movement). Each category had three prizes - a special award, a bronze award, and a silver award. One of the five silver awards was announced the overall/gold award winner.

I'm happy to say that my daughter's team was the winner (silver) in the Samulnori category! (The performance link is here).

All of the winners are shown at this link. At the bottom of the page, you can see video links for all fifteen winning performances. 

The gold award was earned by a Talchum performer in Bulgaria. You can see her performance here.

Thank you once again to those who watched the performance when I posted originally in October.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Showed this to my 4 year old daughter who loves all things BTS Korean. She loved it especially when I told her your daughter lives in Korea and this is her "band". My daughter told me to tell your daughter, someday she plans to go to Korea and have her own band too. 😀

I will definitely share your daughter's story with mine, Dreamergal. My daughter is also a BTS fan, so they have something in common!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, Kassia said:

I shared this with my daughter too (also a BTS fan!)

I suspect there are quite a few here or related to those here. One of my daughter's disappointments in these Coronavirus times is that the BTS concert for which she had tickets was cancelled.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, MercyA said:

Very nice! That is happy music. 🙂 And, wow, I admire people with rhythm.

Me, too. She certainly did not inherit any musicality from me!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

One of the other samulnori team members has been looking at the statistics concerning their performance video. She shared with my daughter that most of the viewers came from Facebook. The second largest group, some 15% of the viewers, came from a site called the Well-Trained Mind. Ever heard of it?!

Thank you for watching the video.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2020 at 2:44 PM, Kareni said:

One of the other samulnori team members has been looking at the statistics concerning their performance video. She shared with my daughter that most of the viewers came from Facebook. The second largest group, some 15% of the viewers, came from a site called the Well-Trained Mind. Ever heard of it?!

Thank you for watching the video.

Regards,

Kareni

What? Only 15 percent? Clearly we can do better. 😉

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm bumping this up for those who may have missed it. 

Her team has accumulated over 2100 views now which is impressive, but my daughter said a competing Canadian team is rapidly racking up views. The drama!

Regards,

Kareni

Watching again... :)

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, Sue in St Pete said:

I am so amazed at young (especially) women who travel/live overseas.  I would never have had the courage.

I hear you, Sue; I was certainly far less adventurous as a young woman! 

On 10/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, Sue in St Pete said:

Wow!  I have never seen anything like that. Quite fascinating, especially the ones who were banging both sides of the drum with one hand towards the end.

That two sided drum is the Janggu, and the speed of the players is pretty impressive. It was the first of the four instruments that my daughter learned to play.

Thanks for watching the video.

Regards,

Kareni

UPDATE on January 27, 2021:

My apologies for the late update.

The 2020 K-Community Challenge had entrants in five different categories, each a traditional Korean art: Talchum (dance), Ganggangsullae (dance), Minyo (song), Samulnori (instrumental), and Taekwonmu (movement). Each category had three prizes - a special award, a bronze award, and a silver award. One of the five silver awards was announced the overall/gold award winner.

I'm happy to say that my daughter's team was the winner (silver) in the Samulnori category! (Their performance link is here).

All of the winners are shown at this link. At the bottom of the page, you can see video links for all fifteen winning performances. 

The gold award was earned by a Talchum performer in Bulgaria. You can see her performance here.

Thank you once again to those who watched the performance when I posted originally in October.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

• Kareni changed the title to An update! Something to share: My daughter and her expat group playing samulnori, Korean traditional percussion.